Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I never get sick of hearing that one.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #42
batleon

Quote:
I look at 7/10/04 as a top 3 show for it's tour, and then I'd go on to say that everyone should have the top 3 shows from their respective tour, so, yea.
What if it's a weak tour? A top 10 show from Fall '98 is going to kick the shit out of even the best show from '01 or '05.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #43
Dave is good.
hey now

Quote:
Originally Posted by akleiner34 View Post
Outside of the early August shows and The Vote for Change, I think that 7/10/04 is an amazing representation of the 2004 tour. The improv jam>into one of the best Crazy easy's, the all time best Good Good Time, the little Grace prelude, Sugar Will, The Stone, so good.
the jimi thing was awesome too... only thing that sucked about this show was the one song encore. that was hard to take but if you are getting one song you can't go wrong with Ants...

I guess whether or not this would make the list just depends on your definition of "must-have".
Dave is good. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #44
Dave is good.
hey now

Quote:
ok, then it is a "definitely get it when you have a chance" show.
i'd agree with that. a lot of unique moments in this show that make it stand out. i just wouldn't call it a must-have.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #45
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is good. View Post
the jimi thing was awesome too... only thing that sucked about this show was the one song encore. that was hard to take but if you are getting one song you can't go wrong with Ants...

I guess whether or not this would make the list just depends on your definition of "must-have".
It wasn't a one song encore. It was two songs, yes Prelude to Grace is short, but it's also extremely rare.

I wasn't there though, so...
Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #46
Dave is good.
hey now

I guess you can call that 2 songs. They definitely had to cut something because of the strict curfew there. I don't think prelude was on the setlist.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #47
akleiner34

Quote:
I guess you can call that 2 songs. They definitely had to cut something because of the strict curfew there. I don't think prelude was on the setlist.
I have to admit bias to 7/10/04 because I was there and it really seemed like a special night. Great vibe, great set, perfect renditions of the new songs, improvisation, etc..

That was a great Jimi Thing. The scat was fantastic.

It is an under the radar 04 show that while might not be a must have is definitely a should listen. I hope it pops up on DMBLive or even gets a LiveTrax release. (hopefully as part of a ridiculous Hershey box set that needs to happen)
akleiner34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #48
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
What if it's a weak tour? A top 10 show from Fall '98 is going to kick the shit out of even the best show from '01 or '05.
True. But no matter how poor a tour is as a whole, there is always a gem or two in the bunch.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #49
dmb2much40

my favorite from each year:

08.27.00 (LT3)
09.23.03 (Central Park)
haven't listened to all the 08's i need to yet to make the call...
Old 03-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #50
JWood

Quote:
2004 wasn't really a weak tour.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #51
christp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post

This show is a monster...good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawpiehrnfdsa
i don't see a single question mark in that whole goddamn clusterfuck of a paragraph.
christp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #52
batleon

Quote:
setlist scan is on the almanac. Was supposed to be Everyday > Ants. You lucked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1892 View Post
2004 wasn't really a weak tour.
Never said it was. Just making a general point.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #53
BeQuietAndDrive
ICU

Quote:
Originally Posted by christp View Post
This show is a monster...good call
Amazing how they can pull that kind of show out of nowhere during a bad tour.

Anyway, would anyone mind hopping on to help seed 7-25-01 on DT? Lost mine when my external bit the bullet.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #54
Dave is good.
hey now

Quote:
setlist scan is on the almanac. Was supposed to be Everyday > Ants. You lucked out.

Ants w/ that prelude intro is definitely better than Everyday and Ants. At the time I was shocked by the one song encore. I do like Everyday in the right spot though. This would not have been one of those times.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #55
Rowsdower
TIMING FREE!

Quote:
no way this is a must have... and i was there.
It is so a must have (7-10-04, that is).
Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #56
Dancing Monkey

4-2-93 Salem College is a must have. LOVE IT.

Im redownloading it right now on DT

[Only registered users can see links.]
Dancing Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #57
Fiorentino
Viva Las Vegas

Here's mine for D&T, D&F, and DM solo

D&T (I just did it by tour. A few might not be must haves)

1.29.94 (I never hear it talked about much, so it might just be me)
2.6.96 (Defantly not the best from the tour, but so many better shows lack decent sources)
2.21.97 (One of the few times I'll declare my opinion as fact: there is not a single other D&T show that should be released before this.)
3.13.99 (Runner-up: 3.6.99/3.7.99/3.14.99.)**
3.28.03 or 3.29.03
'07 Europe- I honestly can't choose. So many shows are missing tapes, and finding the tapes that do exist isn't exactly easy. Due to the heavy Some Devil play, I think '07 should be on the must-have show list. Radio City for now?

** I find it VERY hard to select a show from the beginning of the '99 tour. Most shows from Jan-Feb contain must-have performances, but lacks a single show that highlights most of them like 3.13 does. Ex: Rapunzel, Stay in standard time, The Temple--> Wyona, Little Thing, Deed is Done, Captain, etc. Most of what I mentioned lacks a quality source, but they make the '99 tour so interesting that they are must haves.

D&F
12.17.03 or 12.20.03

DM Solo
9.10.99 (I don't care if it's one song, The Stone from the Charlie Ross show is must-have!)

Last edited by Fiorentino; 03-17-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Fiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #58
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
1.29.94 (I never hear it talked about much, so it might just be me)
I am in the minority, but I like this one better than the Birchmere show (2.21.94)

Quote:
I think '07 should be on the must-have show list. Radio City for now?
UMass show was phenomenal. At least as good as Radio City.

Quote:
DM Solo
9.10.99 (I don't care if it's one song, The Stone from the Charlie Ross show is must-have!)
Dead on.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #59
1t. Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey the Bear View Post
yes
1t. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #60
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Alright.

9/1/91 (Originally circulated as 5/11/91)
Quote:
No one knows the actual date of this show, and really almost all of the circulated '91 performances are guesses as to the actual date, but one thing is certain, this show has all the makings of a young, immature, yet hungry band. Dave's voice was still young, and the performances were rough and a bit hollow, but the drive was there. Roi's solo to close out the last song (Typical) is proof enough of the desire and push they had to allow the music to dictate where the energy would come from. I'm fairly certain this is the only '91 performance circulated which does not include Boyd. It's just a great little set that captures everything we've read about with the humble beginnings of this band.
2/13/92 (The video)
Quote:
I remember receiving the VHS in a trade a long time ago. The thing is, along with what you've read in the books about the band's history playing these small gigs every night, and what older fans will tell you, once you see it for yourself it makes watching and listening to these older shows more of a learning experience about the history of the band and their rise throughout the VA area early on. The video of this showcases the band performing to what seemed to be an empty high school hall. After each of the first few songs Dave mentions how no one should be afraid to come up close and dance if they felt like it. Then after a few songs, the bare, open, empty floor was filled with students and fans dancing to every beat Carter was laying down, every lyric Dave was singing and every solo Boyd and Roi would take. It was a clear window to how things went down for the band back then.
4/5/92 (video and audio)
Quote:
One thing I love about listening to various performances of certain songs is the growth, change, and evolution they go through until the transformation of the tune years later leads to thunderous performances in Arenas and Amphitheaters. The first known live performance of Two Step is something to always be remembered. It was instantly hailed as a fan favorite right from the get-go, and here during the first performance the song is tossed out in the opening slot as a test performance. Almost a soundcheck performance, if you will. Well, we all know certain moments like that during that era eventually turned into truly great songs, much like the band's live soundcheck on 12/11/93 which turned into Proudest Monkey. The video also holds something similar to the 2/13/92 video, where people were watching and listening and the more the band played the more people seemed to feed off of what was happening on stage. It seemed like a common occurrence no matter where the band played, in C'ville, Richmond, or other areas of VA.
9/11/92 (Dave solo)
Quote:
For so many, the DKE solo performance here didn't amount to some amazing show or lead to best performances of certain tunes, rather it showcased the core of a lot of the songs that had been growing each and every night on stage for over a year at that point. Dave's banter here would also blossom in these type of settings to what would lead to stories during D&T shows and of course ultimately find a home 7 years later on VH1's Storytellers.
9/30/92 (full band acoustic)
Quote:
One of the handful of heavily traded/circulated shows in the mid-90's, this full band acoustic performance which featured percussionist Miguel Valdez supplied a fresh take on these performances. Nothing new was added, nothing was really stripped away, rather the inclusion of a guest for an entire show(just like night before - 9/29), showed a different view of the band's material. There was something wrong with Carter's hand so Miguel stepped in. Of course Miguel would pass away a few months later and the band would eventually dedicate #34 to Miguel in the liner notes of UTTAD, and of course now with the passing of Roi, that song holds an even higher place in the hearts of all the fans. So this show really does hold that string history.
12/31/92 (the Omni performance)
Quote:
For years a few traders had 12/31/91 on their list of shows they had, and every time the show turned out to be an early '92 show that was just mislabeled. A few older fans swore up and down DMB performed a New Years Eve gig on 12/31/91 but it's yet to be proven with any factual backing. So, with that in mind, 12/31/92 remains the first of only 5 NYE performances they've put on as a band during their 18+ years. Of course 8 months earlier, on 4/5/92, the band performed Two Step for the first time, and under a year at the end of '92 you can hear the growth and confidence that was gained on stage within this song. It doesn't rival the tight monstrous versions we see and hear today but on 12/31/92 it was indeed the best performance of the song they had done.

I'll keep going later.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc