These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #3001
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
I can't listen to much D+C other than being at the show with others. They just come across so slowly and Bob just annoys me now more than ever.

Jrad is my fave cover outfit going.
I agree with all of this (well, other than Bobby "annoying" me).

JRAD is awesome. I've said it before, but the best part of Dead & Co for me is the scene on a large scale, both in and out of the venue. Brings me back to the 80's-early 90's. Then again, I also really enjoy seeing my local Dead cover band in small bars.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #3002
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I agree with all of this (well, other than Bobby "annoying" me).

JRAD is awesome. I've said it before, but the best part of Dead & Co for me is the scene on a large scale, both in and out of the venue. Brings me back to the 80's-early 90's. Then again, I also really enjoy seeing my local Dead cover band in small bars.
Yeah, Bobby doesn't do it for me in D+C.

I saw Voodoo Dead with Kimock, George Porter Jr., Oteil, and Chimenti in May in NOLA after Jazzfest and those guys fucking nailed it.

You're spot on though, the scene is revived and while D+C may not be my choice at times, there's a multitude out there now.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #3003
greykitkat36

D+C are very authentic to the sound and style. JRAD among many others take the songs and do their own thing with them, and jam them in different ways. None of them sound like the Dead, but like dead cover bands as they are. D+C is as close to the authenticity of what the Dead used to be, that is, as close as you're going to get. You don't go in expecting to hear the best musicianship and musical prowess, its more about the atmosphere and the feel.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #3004
somf4eva

I had a great time at D+C. The atmosphere was great and the fans around us were awesome. I am in the Army so I cant just smoke anything that is offered, but everyone was extremely generous.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #3005
CRUSHsoccer15

What are the definitive Grateful Dead books? There are a bunch on amazon. Need something to read.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #3006
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
What are the definitive Grateful Dead books? There are a bunch on amazon. Need something to read.
My favorite is actually more of a "coffee table book", but it is the best- [Only registered users can see links.]

It covers the whole history of the band, packed with info, has a whole timeline of shows, venues, etc., photos, artwork etc.

I have the hardcover, so like I said, it's more of a big coffee table book, and I see there is also a paperback available now too.

sample page:

If you want more of a traditional book, the 2 best IMO are A Long Strange Trip (Dennis McNally) and Garcia: An American Life (Blair Jackson). For a fun, quicker and simpler read, Home Before Daylight (by Steve Parrish from the road crew) was a cool behind the scenes look.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #3007
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
I actually havenít read any of them, but yeah Long Strange Trip is one I constantly hear about and have seen when Iím browsing through bookstores.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #3008
CRUSHsoccer15

Thanks Mitch
Old 12-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #3009
JimBeam41

Listening to download series volume 11, 6/20/91, damn, this is a tough one. Accordion and keys all over the songs, not ideal.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #3010
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
Listening to download series volume 11, 6/20/91, damn, this is a tough one. Accordion and keys all over the songs, not ideal.
I really can't listen to anything after Brent died. Don't like the sound. But '87-'90 kicked ass.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc