These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #7661
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I've yet to hear anyone comment on this commercial outside of the Internet.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #7662
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Not the real world
Yeah - it's really interesting.

I'm not sure if my future is in higher ed. I really like working with students. The adults are mostly insufferable for a variety of reasons. But that's the case in most industries I guess.

I will share this note. We had a big meeting with 300 or so administrators a few weeks back. One of the top people at the school talked a lot about inclusion, how to better serve the minority populations on campus. There was some really good, informative stuff that came out of it. We are an untraditional school and it's important to have resources available to everyone. (and on a personal note, these students are dealing with a variety of issues that never once crossed my mind as an undergraduate. I feel like I've experienced a lot of growth working with DACA students, first generation, low income, veterans, etc.)

But there was also a ton of talk about microaggressions, etc. After 30 minutes saying how careful we must be, he made an off comment about how an Irish friend has a "mouth of a sailor, because of course he's irish!"

No, I wasn't offended. But this shit either matters or doesn't. I brought it up with a dean and said I didn't understand how you can talk about microaggressions and then throw out a line like that. Either it matters or it doesn't. And I'd like to see some consistency if we're asked to attend meetings about this stuff.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #7663
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The media had an abysmal week
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #7664
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Well, the last 30 hours in Virginia have been a little insane.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #7665
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
Well, the last 30 hours in Virginia have been a little insane.
He doesn't need to step down. He just needs to say, "I was young and stupid, thinking I was making some point." Context, people.

Unless, of course he actually has a history of treating blacks terribly...
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #7666
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
He doesn't need to step down. He just needs to say, "I was young and stupid, thinking I was making some point." Context, people.

Unless, of course he actually has a history of treating blacks terribly...
It could be argued that he hasn't been the best.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #7667
ggies
Sugar Will '04

She.is.awesome.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dissects America's 'fundamentally broken' campaign finance laws

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #7668
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Yep.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 PM   #7669
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
She.is.awesome.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dissects America's 'fundamentally broken' campaign finance laws

She’s an idiot. Never has had to answer for her impossible, idiotic policies. But I hope Dems continue to embrace this. That’s how you get 4 more years
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:57 AM   #7670
gweeps

Quote:
She’s an idiot. Never has had to answer for her impossible, idiotic policies. But I hope Dems continue to embrace this. That’s how you get 4 more years
She's not an idiot. The answer is implied in her questions: people need to stop being so fucking greedy.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #7671
Mitch

Quote:
But I hope Dems continue to embrace this. That’s how you get 4 more years
I think this is true. The further the democratic party moves to the left, the worse. They will lose people, like me. If we don't want 4 additional years of that fucking moron as president, I really hope a moderate candidate is their presidential nominee.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #7672
Habbs
Organic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I think this is true. The further the democratic party moves to the left, the worse. They will lose people, like me. If we don't want 4 additional years of that fucking moron as president, I really hope a moderate candidate is their presidential nominee.
No.
[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #7673
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbs View Post
No.
What are you saying "No" to? Your link doesn't refute either that myself or others will be lost if the democratic party moves too far left.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #7674
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
What do you mean further? Did you watch that recent Bill clip? He explains (although his demeanor is quite forceful) that only one part has moved so extreme, and it's the right.

If you vote for Trump again and don't vote for the Dem candidate, it's on you this time if we have Trump again.

I'm not going to sit here and think I will line up exactly with whoever will be the primary challenger to Trump, but if you've sat back and watched what's happened, how our President acts like a toddler, how the rest of the world looks at our nation, there is only one way to vote right now.

You want to get us back on track so future generations survive, don't fucking vote for Trump or not vote. He's a virus in our system and we must get him out. It's that simple this time around.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #7675
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
What do you mean further? Did you watch that recent Bill clip? He explains (although his demeanor is quite forceful) that only one part has moved so extreme, and it's the right.

If you vote for Trump again and don't vote for the Dem candidate, it's on you this time if we have Trump again.

I'm not going to sit here and think I will line up exactly with whoever will be the primary challenger to Trump, but if you've sat back and watched what's happened, how our President acts like a toddler, how the rest of the world looks at our nation, there is only one way to vote right now.

You want to get us back on track so future generations survive, don't fucking vote for Trump or not vote. He's a virus in our system and we must get him out. It's that simple this time around.
I agree with what you're saying. I hate Trump. I'm just afraid if the democratic candidate is too far left they may lose moderates/independents to Trump whereas a moderate candidate would most likely win. When I spoke of losing me, I meant as a party, but I can't imagine any universe in which I would vote for Trump.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #7676
Habbs
Organic

Quote:
What are you saying "No" to? Your link doesn't refute either that myself or others will be lost if the democratic party moves too far left.
I'm refuting "The further the democratic party moves to the left, the worse." The link centers on climate change, which has to be priority #1, but the sentiment applies broadly:
"In plenty of debates — whether about healthcare, economic policy, or minimum wages — the Beltway’s suffocating institutional conservatism regularly puts human life at risk and celebrates glacial or nonexistent progress as the best that mature, pragmatically-minded adults can aspire to."
"...the nihilism of the cautious, piecemeal approach favored by the centrist mainstream is laid bare for all to see. When the consequence of failure is civilizational collapse, the only pragmatic course available is a radical one." - Luke Savage
Old 02-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #7677
Habbs
Organic

If you don't support AOC, her ilk, and their policies, you are in the minority and on the wrong side of history. #MoralCenter
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #7678
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Not sure sure about that. She’s pretty green and has not come off as the brightest person when interviewed outside of safe spaces.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #7679
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbs View Post
If you don't support AOC, her ilk, and their policies, you are in the minority and on the wrong side of history. #MoralCenter
so we're either all in on AOC or flatly "wrong", ok
Old 02-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #7680
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

#I’mWithMitch

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc