These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #41
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
after this conversation dies out, no one can top this thread until 2029.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #42
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463


EVERY TEN YEARS, YOU WILL BE VISITED BY THE GHOST OF THE COUNTING CROWS
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #43
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 25,110
Their debut album is a stupendous release. One of the very best. Nothing else I've heard from them since compares.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #44
dmb2much40
 
dmb2much40's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 5,237
No love for recovering the satellites? I loved the first two albums, but then they fell off my map.

I saw a few live shows over the years, but Adam is wildly inconsistent. He’s either spot on or a train wreck.
__________________
-Monica
dmb2much40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #45
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 25,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
No love for recovering the satellites? I loved the first two albums, but then they fell off my map.

I saw a few live shows over the years, but Adam is wildly inconsistent. Hes either spot on or a train wreck.
I like some of the songs on RtS, but it doesn't have the replay value like the debut.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #46
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
I like most of the catalog....but yeah, the first two are stellar.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #47
The Godfather
Chartz
 
The Godfather's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madeira Beach, FL
Posts: 21,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
No love for recovering the satellites? I loved the first two albums, but then they fell off my map.

I saw a few live shows over the years, but Adam is wildly inconsistent. Hes either spot on or a train wreck.
RTS got me into CC, and its one of my fav CC albums
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
So much dmb >
Anyone seen the dmb >
Too Much dmb
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #48
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 22,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
No love for recovering the satellites? I loved the first two albums, but then they fell off my map.

I saw a few live shows over the years, but Adam is wildly inconsistent. He’s either spot on or a train wreck.
For awhile, This Desert Life was actually my favorite album. That album, and AAEA and RTS, are all about equal to me.
Hard Candy was pretty good but a slight drop off. Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings I quite liked, especially when it came out.
Honestly, not a big fan of Somewhere Under Wonderland. I dislike Scarecrow and God of the Ocean Tides, and find most of the songs too forgettable and too cheesy country-rock. Palisades Park, Johnny Appleseed and When Elvis Went to hollywood are the only songs that stick out positively for me.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #49
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
Palisades Park, Possibility Days and Cover Up the Sun are top CC tunes for me.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #50
MUDaveFan
Kind of a big deal
 
MUDaveFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Their debut album is a stupendous release. One of the very best. Nothing else I've heard from them since compares.
While I agree, look at their first 5 albums. ALL are fucking incredible.

August
Recovering
Desert Life
Hard Candy
Films About Ghosts

Seriously, there are like, MAYBE 5 songs total that I skip when listening to those albums. This Desert Life might be their best overall to be honest.

I have seen them twice in concert. The first time it was maybe the best and most fun show I've ever been to. The second time it is easily the worst show I've ever seen.
__________________
-Scott

DMB for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
MUDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #51
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Honestly, not a big fan of Somewhere Under Wonderland. I dislike Scarecrow and God of the Ocean Tides, and find most of the songs too forgettable and too cheesy country-rock. Palisades Park, Johnny Appleseed and When Elvis Went to hollywood are the only songs that stick out positively for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Palisades Park, Possibility Days and Cover Up the Sun are top CC tunes for me.
I love Possibility Days and John Appleseed's Lament. Palisades Park, Earthquake Driver, Dislocation, Cover up the Sun and Scarecrow are all great too, IMO. I was so pleasantly surprised with that album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDaveFan View Post

I have seen them twice in concert. The first time it was maybe the best and most fun show I've ever been to. The second time it is easily the worst show I've ever seen.
yeah, Duritz has always been hit or miss live
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #52
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
I also love his newfound love of all things Stephen Kellogg:

[Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #53
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I also love his newfound love of all things Stephen Kellogg:

[Only registered users can see links.]
I see you mention this guy all the time and I still have no idea who he is
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #54
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I see you mention this guy all the time and I still have no idea who he is
The title track off of his new album. The line 'As we look back through the looking glass, visions closer than they appear. Stubbing toes on toes, those days you'll wish were still here......they'll be objects in the mirror." gets me EVERY DAMN TIME.

__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #55
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
And to stay on topic, this is from the Adam Duritz/James Campion music festival this past fall, I think this tune is very Black Crowes-esque:



And this one's just fun:

__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #56
MUDaveFan
Kind of a big deal
 
MUDaveFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I love Possibility Days and John Appleseed's Lament. Palisades Park, Earthquake Driver, Dislocation, Cover up the Sun and Scarecrow are all great too, IMO. I was so pleasantly surprised with that album.



yeah, Duritz has always been hit or miss live
Not too long ago I realized something. In Mr Jones Adam says he wants to be Bob Dylan. And that is exactly what he is trying to do at his shows. Bob Dylan never sings a song the same way twice, let alone multiple times. The only problem with this method is that people going to a CC show want to sing along to Mr Jones, Rain King, Anna Begins, etc. Not listen to a spoken word poetry jam.
__________________
-Scott

DMB for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
MUDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #57
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDaveFan View Post
Not too long ago I realized something. In Mr Jones Adam says he wants to be Bob Dylan. And that is exactly what he is trying to do at his shows. Bob Dylan never sings a song the same way twice, let alone multiple times. The only problem with this method is that people going to a CC show want to sing along to Mr Jones, Rain King, Anna Begins, etc. Not listen to a spoken word poetry jam.
I'd say it's about half and half. The 'hardcores' live for that sort of thing, but of course, the casual fans want the songs played like they sound on the record. So long as they keep putting out new music, Adam can and should keep doing whatever he wants, but once they turn into a full on nostalgia act, keep things simple.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #58
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 25,110


Should have been the last song on the album. Or a hidden track.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #59
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post




Should have been the last song on the album. Or a hidden track.


Absolutely. I love that they finally recorded and released it after 25 years. It’d be as if DMB went in and did that with Blue Water.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #60
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 25,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Absolutely. I love that they finally recorded and released it after 25 years. It’d be as if DMB went in and did that with Blue Water.
Isn't there a recording from the R2T sessions? I don't want to hear a new Blue Water w/o Boyd. Besides, they'd botch it. Look at what they did with IOY? Nothing. They could have recorded the 2013/4 version, which had evolved to a superior take, but no... they had to have the old 2006 version. Why? Because of Roi? They could've found a way to mix him in to a newer rendition. Also, the CT version nixes most of Boyd...

[/RANT]

Back to Counting Crows.

I love the song Recovering the Satellites. Song is melancholy as fuck. For some reason I am reminded of Pearl Jam's Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11129 seconds with 23 queries