These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #581
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh424s View Post
Bands can't play northernly Island and alpine as it's a management legality for some odd reason as they're both run by same management company. It's almost like an odd no compete clause. Hootie is playing Tinley Park and alpine which makes sense, but Dave almost exclusively plays northernly Island now which goes to why they don't play both anymore. It's really odd. And northernly Island is a shit hole.
Why on earth do they choose that dump over Alpine? Dave has said for two decades that it's among his very favourite venues. Makes no sense they don't make it happen every single summer tour.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #582
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Why on earth do they choose that dump over Alpine? Dave has said for two decades that it's among his very favourite venues. Makes no sense they don't make it happen every single summer tour.
I think you know why...it begins with a capital C
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #583
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Yep.

I love alpine but it's awful what's happened to the place. Wrigley Field and Northerly Island are going to kill it. And that sucks because both places blow for shows.

That said - I fully expect two shows at alpine next summer.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #584
sean52692
You failed this band

I'd much rather have one night at Tinley Park rather than two an shithole northerly island.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #585
blsc1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
The rumor is they will play Tinley this year, which will open up the opportunity to play Alpine.
Pretty wild that as of summer 2019 Iíll have lived in the Chicago burbs for 10 years and only have seen one dmb show at Tinley in that time (1 month after I moved in). Would have never expected that moving here.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #586
SomeDevil17

Hootie and the BNL are playing at alpine ?
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #587
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Hootie and the BNL are playing at alpine ?

To all 17 people in attendance! They’re gonna take a bath on that one.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #588
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraven View Post
Odd they didnít schedule a Chicago show for the winter

At this point Iím not sure if Iíll ever see them again. No Boyd is a big deal for me, and theyíve skipped Alpine recently. In addition their ticket prices got crazy. 3/5 original members for $125 a ticket. Come on.

That said, these sets look great. Playing 3 of my top five.
Boyd leaving is the best thing to happen to them since Tim coming back in 2008. And $125 in 2018 is incredibly reasonable to see a band of this stature.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #589
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
Boyd leaving is the best thing to happen to them since Tim coming back in 2008. And $125 in 2018 is incredibly reasonable to see a band of this stature.
I think thatís going too far. Buddy has been good filling the void but violin is still a sound/tone that is missed in a bunch of songs. The band is clearly 100% fully recharged and energized though and you can tell they are having a genuinely great time on stage together, and it hasnít been like that (on a consistent basis) for years. They feel like a family again.

I still think the price is high. They arenít a mainstream act anymore. Theyíre also not at the legendary status of a Springsteen or Billy Joel or The Dead. The fact that lawn seats broke $80 is totally insane imo. It is what it is and itís not going to get cheaper I know that, but I Definitley donít agree itís a good price,
Old 12-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #590
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think thatís going too far. Buddy has been good filling the void but violin is still a sound/tone that is missed in a bunch of songs.
Yes, but we're not talking about a violin sound, we're talking about Boyd. His playing has been unprofessional for almost two decades.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #591
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
I think that’s going too far. Buddy has been good filling the void but violin is still a sound/tone that is missed in a bunch of songs. The band is clearly 100% fully recharged and energized though and you can tell they are having a genuinely great time on stage together, and it hasn’t been like that (on a consistent basis) for years. They feel like a family again.

I still think the price is high. They aren’t a mainstream act anymore. They’re also not at the legendary status of a Springsteen or Billy Joel or The Dead. The fact that lawn seats broke $80 is totally insane imo. It is what it is and it’s not going to get cheaper I know that, but I Definitley don’t agree it’s a good price,
Which song though? The only songs that sound awkward are Ants and Jane. And ants they basically just need to figure out the jam better

Oh yeah and MSG. I saw so many designer handbags...Chanel and higher. Lady next to me was in a Moncler coat ($1200+). Maybe just NYC, but they’ll keep pushing how far they can milk it
Old 12-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #592
TDunk

Quote:
I think that’s going too far. Buddy has been good filling the void but violin is still a sound/tone that is missed in a bunch of songs. The band is clearly 100% fully recharged and energized though and you can tell they are having a genuinely great time on stage together, and it hasn’t been like that (on a consistent basis) for years. They feel like a family again.

I still think the price is high. They aren’t a mainstream act anymore. They’re also not at the legendary status of a Springsteen or Billy Joel or The Dead. The fact that lawn seats broke $80 is totally insane imo. It is what it is and it’s not going to get cheaper I know that, but I Definitley don’t agree it’s a good price,
Who broke $80 for lawn?
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #593
dmb2much40

Uppers were $85 this tour, which I think is a lot.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #594
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh424s View Post
Bands can't play northernly Island and alpine as it's a management legality for some odd reason as they're both run by same management company. It's almost like an odd no compete clause. Hootie is playing Tinley Park and alpine which makes sense, but Dave almost exclusively plays northernly Island now which goes to why they don't play both anymore. It's really odd. And northernly Island is a shit hole.
The view of the skyline is pretty cool...that's about where the positives end with that place. The sound is terrible. Having no grade to the ground, making it one big flat mess with two random stands (I actually enjoyed the night I was in the stands infinitely more than when I was closer on the "floor" for D&T) with even more people packed behind those oddities. It's a haul to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Yes, but we're not talking about a violin sound, we're talking about Boyd. His playing has been unprofessional for almost two decades.
I tried listening to Riverbend N2 from 2003 at work this week. The set was so good that I TRY to force myself through it every couple of years and every couple of years I fail because Boyd is so miserably bad. Like offensive to the ears bad. He completely butchers that run of Song That Jane Likes, Seek Up, Last Stop, Dreaming Tree, #41 (arguably, on paper, the strongest run of 5 songs you could ask for). Seek Up makes your ears bleed...Dave jumps in early with the wails to try and salvage it, but it's just horrible.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #595
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I think you know why...it begins with a capital C
Pathetic.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #596
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Which song though? The only songs that sound awkward are Ants and Jane. And ants they basically just need to figure out the jam better

Oh yeah and MSG. I saw so many designer handbags...Chanel and higher. Lady next to me was in a Moncler coat ($1200+). Maybe just NYC, but they’ll keep pushing how far they can milk it
It's not that the songs sound bad or awkward, they're just missing the classic tone of a violin...songs like Billies, Warehouse, Nancies, Stone, Graves...the violin help give those songs the vibe that we all love. They get by without it, but those songs just become something very different.

Yes Boyd was not good and he was clearly having a huge negative effect on the band, but to act like those songs sound the same or better now without a violin playing those parts is silly to me. I get that maybe they didn't want to "replace" him by adding a new violin player, but at this point doesn't seem like Boyd is coming back, so I hope they move forward and do that personally. It was just be better.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #597
dmb1981

Quote:
It's not that the songs sound bad or awkward, they're just missing the classic tone of a violin...songs like Billies, Warehouse, Nancies, Stone, Graves...the violin help give those songs the vibe that we all love. They get by without it, but those songs just become something very different.

Yes Boyd was not good and he was clearly having a huge negative effect on the band, but to act like those songs sound the same or better now without a violin playing those parts is silly to me. I get that maybe they didn't want to "replace" him by adding a new violin player, but at this point doesn't seem like Boyd is coming back, so I hope they move forward and do that personally. It was just be better.
I agree. I just don't think they will ever do it out of respect. Knowing these guys' patterns, I'm sure they'll simply be happy to continue on as is, and like you said, "get by" without it.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #598
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:

The 7/6/18 version of the Stone was perfection. Buddy is much better at making violin sounds than Boyd
Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #599
dmb2much40

Quote:

100% agree. Itís really sad that the two band members who gave the band their signature sound are gone. Even if they get a violin player it wonít be the same. Like I love Jeff, heís enormously talented, but doesnít play with the same style Roi did.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #600
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Uppers were $85 this tour, which I think is a lot.
agree
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc