These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #11081
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
The title track so wants to be something more than it is. I don't mind the music, but the lyric. God it stinks. Replace this was Bismarck and we're (sorry I just realized what I'm about to type) good to go.

Besides, When I'm Weary mentions "come tomorrow" and it has more resonance there.
Itís moving up my rankings.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #11082
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancetheham View Post
I'm surprised that Black & Blue Bird and Virginia in the Rain have been pretty much shelved. I get Idea of You not getting much play... that one seems to have been included on the album for fans more than for the band, but the other two are really surprising to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Dave wouldnít have anything to do on Virginia and itíd weird to watch him sing it without the guitar with how long the song is. I know he did that with A&A but thatís a much shorter and more make danceable tune.

Black and bluebird never really got much play at all ever in the first place, so that one doesnít surprise me really. Theyíve done a good job this year of really staying away from the super snooze songs in the sets. I appreciate that. E1 can be sister or something like that, but I hate having something like Virginia midshow that destroys all sembelance Of flow of energy
It's DMBPB baby!! Can't have any slower songs getting in our way.

Don't mind the musicianship, just play corny funk music and GTFO.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #11083
MidwestDrummer
Next caller!

Whoops, wrong thread.

Last edited by MidwestDrummer; 08-15-2018 at 12:12 PM.
MidwestDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #11084
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So, uh, haven't been on this side in a while...has this been posted somewhere else? Didn't find it if so....

Old 09-07-2018, 01:30 AM   #11085
gweeps

Wow. That was a highlight TV performance from them, and especially Dave, for Again and Again. Great stuff. Felt like DMB 4.0 finally arrived.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #11086
gweeps

And look how animated Jeff is even on a song like She where he's just playing some canned horn shit.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:46 AM   #11087
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Wow. That was a highlight TV performance from them, and especially Dave, for Again and Again. Great stuff. Felt like DMB 4.0 finally arrived.
dave without guitar. still strange to see
His voice is great. This version sounds really tight.

Though I really hate how this song went from it raw sound to this pop tune
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #11088
greykitkat36

Nice to hear that Dave is really having a good time this summer and that the band is too. With Boyd gone and the sets somewhat stale this summer overall, canít argue with the fact that the band is in a Good place. Iíll sign up for that.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #11089
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Nice to hear that Dave is really having a good time this summer and that the band is too. With Boyd gone and the sets somewhat stale this summer overall, can’t argue with the fact that the band is in a Good place. I’ll sign up for that.
The question always comes back around though - Are they making the best music possible with the talent they have? The latest stuff is so-so. It seems they would rather fade into retirement being that "summer band" *cough* party band, as Dave called it*cough* instead of musicians creating real art.

I mean, we all know Coffin is up there for the $, you should hear his own music that he puts out.

Anyway....haha, I'm bored at work and should stop getting sucked back into this old band.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #11090
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
The question always comes back around though - Are they making the best music possible with the talent they have? The latest stuff is so-so. It seems they would rather fade into retirement being that "summer band" *cough* party band, as Dave called it*cough* instead of musicians creating real art.

I don’t see it that way to be honest. If they wanted to be just a party band they could easily just play the hits and some covers, they wouldn’t even be bothering with writing and releasing new material. The songwriting has fallen dramatically but musically they are fine. There’s a lot of good music on CT, just really subpar lyrics, song structure and substance. And yes the best musicians in the band don’t get to stretch their limbs either:

That being said, I think a Dave and the band do want to make good music and continue creating art, they’re just not in a place where they are doing it well. I think a lot of it had to with Boyd and being able to work together as a unit, as they clearly drifted. This summer seemed to bring the band back together again. That makes me a little more hopeful
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #11091
dmb2much40

On one hand, the band is effectively a nostalgia act. They haven’t been relevant in over a decade. On the other hand, Dave clearly made the album he wanted. Whether or not people think it’s artistically good is another topic, but it was honest if nothing else.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #11092
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
On one hand, the band is effectively a nostalgia act. They havenít been relevant in over a decade. On the other hand, Dave clearly made the album he wanted. Whether or not people think itís artistically good is another topic, but it was honest if nothing else.
I disagree that it's the album he wanted. I view 'Come Tomorrow' as the best product they could release under the circumstances (Boyd.)
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #11093
dmb2much40

Maybe you’re right, but I feel like that’s a bandwagon theory everyone is accepting without knowing for sure. If Dave didn’t like come tomorrow, he wouldn’t be playing the songs into the ground, he’d ignore it like AFTW. Feels more like some devil part 2.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #11094
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Maybe youíre right, but I feel like thatís a bandwagon theory everyone is accepting without knowing for sure. If Dave didnít like come tomorrow, he wouldnít be playing the songs into the ground, heíd ignore it like AFTW. Feels more like some devil part 2.
You mean like he played Away From the World songs into the ground in 2012-2013?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #11095
NiCK (Crush)

Yeah the real test on Dave’s opinion of the album will be next summer.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #11096
greykitkat36

Quote:
Maybe you’re right, but I feel like that’s a bandwagon theory everyone is accepting without knowing for sure. If Dave didn’t like come tomorrow, he wouldn’t be playing the songs into the ground, he’d ignore it like AFTW. Feels more like some devil part 2.
Wasn’t just Boyd, this was an album thrown together in about a year by 3 producers compiling recordings from 10+ years in the making. So yeah I don’t think this is the album Dave wanted to make at all, but he’s clearly happy with how it turned out and he said he put his foot down on certain decisions which he never did in the past.

The next album will be interesting (if they don’t do a b-sides thing) because it’ll be a real album, not a compilation and one where they can work together in the studio without Boyd and the problems he was causing or lack or enthusiasm he was carrying over into the sessions. They also won’t feel they have to do “go back to their roots” or “try to make an old school” album because it won’t be Lillywhite producing.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #11097
greykitkat36

Iíd really like to see the band work with Steve Harris again, but I wouldnít be surprised at all if Bateson and/or alagia are at the helm for the next one.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #11098
dmb2much40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
You mean like he played Away From the World songs into the ground in 2012-2013?
2012 summer: 108 AFTW songs/827 total =13%
2013 summer: 139 AFTW songs/902 total =15%
2018 summer: 210 CT songs/879 total =24%
Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #11099
dmb2much40

Sorry, I just don’t buy the idea that Dave was forced into anything. Yeah, I’m sure they made changes because of Boyd. But I don’t think they had a treasure chest of songs that were completely scrapped and we got the C album instead of the A album. It’s not like Boyd added a lot to BW or AFTW. His presence or lack thereof does not make or break an album. Dave threw together TGIY in one take, it blows, and he plays it almost every night. It was his choice to put it on the album and he clearly loves playing it. All I’m saying is don’t give Dave a free pass for his suspect choices by making Boyd the scapegoat.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #11100
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Well said
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc