These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Interesting Handwritten Dave Setlist on eBay.

I just noticed there is a handwritten setlist on eBay. I was initially intrigued, but there was little info. I went to the almanac to figure out what 1994 show it was from and found it is from 11/11/94. Oddly, the almanac has a handwritten setlist from this show. It is clearly similar, but 100% not the same example being sold here. But, it is signed by Dave to the same kid. In the auction the seller has a picture of Dave signing one of these setlists. What are people's thoughts on this? The guy says it was given to him from a friend. I have never heard of Dave writing out multiple setlists for the same show back then, but maybe he did. It does at least make you pause for a second that someone would have been forward thinking enough to go around the venue and get multiple copies of a setlist in 1994, hold on to them for several years, then just give them both to the same guy who then has Dave sign both of them, and personalize them, in the exact same manner. I have usually found with this type of stuff, if something seems weird, it probably is.

I'm curious of other people's thoughts on this, if they care to have any. I think it is safe to say every club/venue had a photo copier in 1994, and it would have been easier to just copy one setlist if they needed more than one then to have Dave sit there and transpose it. I just have never seen an instance where Dave hand wrote out two setlists. I also don't know enough about what their lighting situation was back then, and if Fenton even needed one then.

Original from almanac:
Spoiler:

From eBay auction:
Spoiler:

[Only registered users can see links.]
[Only registered users can see links.]

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
fortyone
Maybe THIS Year

I guess it's interesting enough, but the thing that pops out for me is that the Y in Say Goodbye is written differently in each. That'd be enough for me to question the authenticity.
there stood my dreaming tree
fortyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
patsfan39

hmm. I dont trust the internet much, so id guess its probably a fake. But you could say im overly skeptical.

I think the only value in getting autographed memorabilia is if you were there for the signature too OR bought it at the venue. For example, i bought a signed Tedeschi Trucks poster at their boston show last winter. Im pretty sure the Merch booth wasnt peddling fakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hey! This has already been addressed here by others. No dancing! You will sit quietly in your seat throughout the performance!
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
fake
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyone View Post
I guess it's interesting enough, but the thing that pops out for me is that the Y in Say Goodbye is written differently in each. That'd be enough for me to question the authenticity.
I was hoping someone else would notice this. I also think there appears to be some hesitancy in the penmanship on the eBay one.

It sure appears to me someone just copied the one on the almanac. Even the way they tore the top right would appear to line up with what would happen if you removed the tape on the original one. But, there is too much uniqueness in the way it was written to copy. Also, if dave wrote put two sets, I would assume there would actually be more variance in spacing, etc. it's too close, but also not close enough.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
blumathu

Yeah something shady is going on for sure.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
gweeps

The ebay one is too neat.

Take a look at the encore section especially.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
Mitch

That is really odd and definitely seems sketchy. You should ask the eBay seller specifically about that and see what he says. just for the fuck of it.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
celluloid hero

I wouldn't be surprised if not every venue had a copy machine and there were multiples made. It looks like Dave might have started writing Satellite again as you do when you're brainlessly hand-copying 4 setlists, then corrected to Say Goodbye. Think about it, we've never seen a photocopied hand-written setlist out there. If we assume that most places had photocopiers, wouldn't anyone have ever seen one?

I understand the hesitancy with the facts we have, but I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to write 15 songs 5 times, have them look almost identical, with a few small differences.

That's a really specific scam, as well. Go to a website and find an obscure show with a written setlist, spend the time to try to mimic his exact handwriting and even though you're so careful to do this, you flat out mess up a letter, the original is there for anyone would buy this setlist to see on a website they probably know about. That's a lot of effort and to be so precise and so flawed at the same time just doesn't make sense.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

But Wake Forrest should have had a copy machine, no?

The thing that bothers me most, is that even if you had two, why would you get them both personalized to you? In any case but especially if you would ever consider selling one. Get one personalized and one just signed. His other setlists signed by Dave aren't personalized. It just seems weird to me.

It is just an optical illusion, but Get In Line looks to be at the end of the set in the one Dave is signing in the picture. It was driving me crazy looking at it for differences originally.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
celluloid hero

They show up to the place at Wake, probably sit down to do the setlist around 8 PM, and instead of sending some to run to the library with a bunch of dimes, Just take an extra 2 minutes and write a few more copies.

It's worth discussing, I don't think anything mentioned above clearly says it's a fake.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
They show up to the place at Wake, probably sit down to do the setlist around 8 PM, and instead of sending some to run to the library with a bunch of dimes, Just take an extra 2 minutes and write a few more copies.

It's worth discussing, I don't think anything mentioned above clearly says it's a fake.
You know the kid who brings bands to Wake Forest was just sitting there itching to do whatever dave asks since he didn't get to pick him up at the airport. Then, he could tell all the girls that he's just hanging out with the guy who wrote satellite.

But, on a serious note, the seller just said they are the same one. That is clearly not true.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
But, on a serious note, the seller just said they are the same one. That is clearly not true.
that's why I thought asking him would be enlightening. not sure how he can support that contention that they are the same though
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
that's why I thought asking him would be enlightening. not sure how he can support that contention that they are the same though
When I mentioned they were not the same he said that he has two and that the one on the almanac must be the other one. I then asked if he could send me a picture of them next to each other so I could see he actually had two (i.e. so I would know he had the actual one on the almanac) and it wasn't just copied. He then told me he sold the other one so he couldn't do that, but he had pics of them right after Dave had signed them.

That is enough for me not to bid on it. It just doesn't add up for me, personally. If he had also had the identical one from the almanac, that would have atleast been some corroboration for me. It would have meant he was the actual source. The biggest thing I've learned collecting game worn sports jerseys is that you just assume everything is bad and try to prove it is real. I can't do that with this. I am finding too many red flags, BUT, it certainly could be legit. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting it on my wall.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
K270
Kan Pai

The s in Satellite is different. Jam has lines on either side of it, the e-bay one doesn't. The g in Tripping is different. The R in Recently is different. I'm sure theres more.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Okay, he just sent me a picture of both of the setlists together and I am now sold that this is legit. That closes all the holes imo. And I'm sure I also succeeded in driving the price up. Also, I wish my name was matt

Old 05-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
patsfan39

do it!

Quote:
Hey! This has already been addressed here by others. No dancing! You will sit quietly in your seat throughout the performance!
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #18
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #19
Josh.0

I'd take a $20 gamble on this being real.

Or $1 more than whatever Jack bids.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #20
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Except that greaseball he uses from JSA is wrong all the time

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc