These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use marijuana or any THC products?
Yes, almost daily 6 25.00%
Yes, maybe once a week 2 8.33%
Yes, but very occasionally (once a month or less) 4 16.67%
I never use THC products 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Josh.0

Do you use THC (marijuana) products?

Hi TDC! I'm curious as to how many people here smoke/ingest marijuana. I think a good chunk do, but it seems like a surprising number of people don't. The poll, of course, is private.

Since I moved to Colorado a year ago (today!) I've been thinking a lot about how crazy it is that marijuana is illegal throughout most of the rest of the country. When you have regular exposure to THC products, you really start to realize how harmless, overall, it really is, and how it's 100% true that alcohol and tobacco are far, far more harmful both physically and emotionally. There's still a stigma about using marijuana in most places and it totally baffles me.

Living in Colorado, visiting dispensaries often, and meeting so many brilliant, successful people that smoke weed here has really made me realize how much of a double-standard there is when it comes to weed and alcohol/tobacco. On some level, I now truly do agree and believe that marijuana is somewhat of a "wonder" drug - it helps with so many day to day problems like insomnia and anxiety yet a lot of people in states where it's still illegal treat it like it's heroin (and many of those same people then go out and get smashed on the weekend).

So I'm curious as to how many people use marijuana as we approach 2017, because I think by 2025 it's going to be legal everywhere.

I'd also love to hear your thoughts on marijuana and/or whether it should or shouldn't be legal.

All I will say after one year of exposure to legal marijuana is this: virtually everything you've ever heard or thought you knew about marijuana's harmful effects is completely and utterly wrong. I struggle to think of anything that's been associated with more negative, 100% mythical theories than marijuana. I trust it far, far more than anything I can buy at a liquor store. It really should be legalized, federally.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Every now and again from Junior year of HS through about 2011. Haven't had it since, don't feel like I'm missing out. (I guess I'll vote 'never?')

Don't mind if it were legalized across the country. Tax it, fix our roads and schools a bit.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Just about daily. Never before my job, but it has enhanced my experience here tremendously. I used long before moving here, but it's just easier and better now.

In the last 13 months I have stopped drinking liquor entirely. I like a beer still, but no more booze.

My lifestyle, quality of life, and relationships have all improved. I have less anxiety in super crowded places (concerts, sports).

I'd say it's a joke that it isn't legal everywhere, but the ramifications are too dramatic. It's completely unjustifiable that it's illegal.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Mitch

Josh, first of all, I'm pretty sure you started essentially the same thread within the last couple of years, so we know you've been enjoying the THC!

Like I probably said in that thread, I used to smoke a LOT of weed. I started smoking at around 12 or 13 years old (influence of a delinquent older brother), was smoking pretty heavily by 15 or 16 and straight through to my late 20's or so, slowed down but still smoked occasionally into my 30's. Also dabbled in many other substances. I stopped when I did, not so much because of my career, family, etc., but mainly because it started to affect me differently. Smoking began to make me feel anxious and/or comatose. If it still affected me as wonderfully as it did earlier on, I would have probably kept it up. That said, I'll still smoke on rare occasions.

Edit to add: Marijuana should definitely be legalized.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Josh.0

Mitch, first.... I may have, but I wanted a new poll now that legalization appears to be spreading to five more states by the end of the year. I'm curious as to where opinions stand today.

Rosh, if I could kiss you on the lips right now, I would. I feel the same exact way about it and use it the same exact way. Never before or during work (ever), but sometimes before I go to the gym and almost nightly before I go to bed, I take a couple of hits from my Pax.

I NEVER would have thought I'd like being just a liiiiittle high at the gym, but man, my workouts have improved significantly. I feel like I stay more focused on what I'm there to do and the slight high makes me focus less on how "tired" I am (from, say, lack of sleep the night before).

Also, for years I suffered from really, really bad insomnia. Since I've started vaping before bed (really only in the last two months), I've slept like a baby almost every single night. In that sense it has TOTALLY changed my life. I'm more alert the next day at work, less grumpy because of the exhaustion, and less anxious than I was before (even when I'm not high).

Before I moved to CO I used to smoke once in a while, but since moving to CO I've truly seen, first hand, how incredibly beneficial the long-term effects of (regularly) using marijuana are on the human body and mind. It's pretty incredible, especially when it's regulated so that what you're using is the purest stuff literally anywhere on the planet.

I, too, RARELY drink liquor anymore. I still love craft beer, but the zero-calorie factor of marijuana use combined with the clean pulls from my vape have left me using marijuana more and more in place of alcohol on weekends. I love not taking in so many empty calories while also knowing I'll wake up feeling great and ready to go about my normal routine the next day. Alcohol doesn't provide that to me. If the current initiative in Denver, where they're considering legalizing vaping in restaurants and bars, passes, I may stop drinking altogether, because then I can replace "booze" as a social lubricant with marijuana.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

When it is legal here I will probably try it more. Only because, since high school, my experiences with weed have been very hit or miss. I want to relax, but 3/4 of the time I end up paranoid as fuck or cleaning my entire house feeling like a total loser. And don't get me started on edibles. I honestly end up in the closet. Alcohol's effect on me is much more predictable and thus enjoyable. But, being able to select a strain, knowing it's tendancies would certainly be of interest to me. I have really bad anxiety and know people use weed for that, but it has only ever exagerated mine. I just feel like everyone knows and is judging me (though I don't even like to drink around people I am not very comfortable with). But, I do love feeling different at home alone. And now with vapes and weed being calorie free, a beer and a vape at 9 oclock seem a lot better than 2 or 3 beers. Though beer is just so delicious.

As far as legality, I agree with you. I think it is on par with alcohol as a reality alternative and should be legal and regulated. I know tons of people who smoke that are very successful in all areas of society. I'd rather their money be going to pay wages, health insurance and taxes then into the pockets outside this country.

As someone who smokes a few times a year, I do find heavy smokers to be a tad annoying. I feel like, especially with vapes now making hiding it so easy, they are much more willing to use it anywhere and eveywhere. Skiing is nuts. We can't do anything without my buddies whipping out their vapes. And these are doctors / lawyers. If I was ripping nips on every chair lift ride, or in the car, I'd be considered a fairly dangerous alcoholic.

Pot culture seems like more of a full time lifestyle. And I'm not a total prude here, but I see so many people actively vaping on the road it kind of disgusts me. Again, these are personal experiences / opinions, and I still think it should be legal. And it should be here in two weeks.

Edit: one thing I will mention is that I think weed makes me focus more. Maybe I have some sort of ADD, but I am much better at competing tasks (such as cleaning my house) after smoking. Reading josh's post about working out after writing mine made me think of this. I used to really running while high. Also, the very few times I have been slightly high around my kids I feel like a better parent. I'm much more into / focused on playing with them and not giving a shit about the dishes, the laundry, my phone etc. And, frankly, that scares me a bit.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
When it is legal here I will probably try it more. Only because, since high school, my experiences with weed have been very hit or miss. I want couch weed, but 3/4 of the time I end up paranoid as fuck or cleaning my entire house feeling like a total loser. And don't get me started on edibles. I honestly end up in the closet. Alcohol's effect on me is much more predictable and thus enjoyable. But, being able to select a strain, knowing it's tendancies would certainly be of interest to me. I have really bad anxiety and know people use weed for that, but it has only ever exagerated mine. I just feel like everyone knows and is judging me (though I don't even like to drink around people I am not very comfortable with). But, I do love feeling different at home alone. And now with vapes and weed being calorie free, a beer and a vape at 9 oclock seem a lot better than 2 or 3 beers. Though beer is just so delicious.

As far as legality, I agree with you. I think it is on par with alcohol as a reality alternative and should be legal and regulated. I know tons of people who smoke that are very successful in all areas of society. I'd rather their money be going to pay wages, health insurance and taxes then into the pockets outside this country.

As someone who smokes a few times a year, I do find heavy smokers to be a tad annoying. I feel like, especially with vapes now making hiding it so easy, they are much more willing to use it anywhere and eveywhere. Skiing is nuts. We can't do anything without my buddies whipping out their vapes. And these are doctors / lawyers. If I was ripping nips on every chair lift ride, or in the car, I'd be considered a fairly dangerous alcoholic.

Pot culture seems like more of a full time lifestyle. And I'm not a total prude here, but I see so many people actively vaping on the road it kind of disgusts me. Again, these are personal experiences / opinions, and I still think it should be legal. And it should be here in two weeks.
You hit on a lot of good points. There is a "lifestyle" culture with some people, but I think they represent the minority of people overall. Most people I know (that, say, get high during the day) don't talk about it. Chances are you wouldn't even know they're high.

For me it 100% comes down to strain. I've learned that indica gives me that "goofy," "I'll-laugh-at-anything" high, where sativa just mellows me out and makes me appreciate little things and moments much more. 95% of the time I use any form of THC, it's sativa.

You also hit on another point with the strains that I think is worth mentioning: strains of weed are like different types of alcohol. They really do make a world of difference in how people react to them. Some people can't do tequila because it messes them up too much, but vodka or rum, for them, is fine. Some people can't do indica because they get too unglued, but sativa for them is fine (or vice-versa). Some people best respond to hybrids. The best way to think of recreational marijuana is to think about how different types of alcohol affect you different ways, so it's important to experiment and find out what works for you. I think most people outside of legal areas don't really understand that part of marijuana: different strains hit people entirely different ways.

With all of that said, I always feel 100% in control when I'm high. I may zone out more or become a bit aloof (as mentioned before), but I always feel 100% in control. A big part of that is the fact that Colorado marijuana is essentially 100% pure: when you're using it, you're smoking highly regulated and cultivated marijuana. It is literally the highest grade weed in the world. It's a very different experience than the shake I'd smoke when I was 16.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Mitch

Colorado sounds like the utopia that I dreamed of when I was in my teens and 20's.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

It really is. Outstanding weather, including all 4 seasons. Winter here is so underrated. Sun shines almost every day and whatever snow we get is usually wiped away within a few days.

The women are out of control hot. Fit. Into doing things outside. For the most part open minded about the bud.

Great music scene, and all my Chicago sports teams visit at least once a year (not football, but whatever).

And you're never far away from weed or craft beer
Old 10-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Rosh, if I could kiss you on the lips right now, I would. I feel the same exact way about it and use it the same exact way. Never before or during work (ever), but sometimes before I go to the gym and almost nightly before I go to bed, I take a couple of hits from my Pax.

I NEVER would have thought I'd like being just a liiiiittle high at the gym, but man, my workouts have improved significantly. I feel like I stay more focused on what I'm there to do and the slight high makes me focus less on how "tired" I am (from, say, lack of sleep the night before).

Also, for years I suffered from really, really bad insomnia. Since I've started vaping before bed (really only in the last two months), I've slept like a baby almost every single night. In that sense it has TOTALLY changed my life. I'm more alert the next day at work, less grumpy because of the exhaustion, and less anxious than I was before (even when I'm not high).

Before I moved to CO I used to smoke once in a while, but since moving to CO I've truly seen, first hand, how incredibly beneficial the long-term effects of (regularly) using marijuana are on the human body and mind. It's pretty incredible, especially when it's regulated so that what you're using is the purest stuff literally anywhere on the planet.

I, too, RARELY drink liquor anymore. I still love craft beer, but the zero-calorie factor of marijuana use combined with the clean pulls from my vape have left me using marijuana more and more in place of alcohol on weekends. I love not taking in so many empty calories while also knowing I'll wake up feeling great and ready to go about my normal routine the next day. Alcohol doesn't provide that to me. If the current initiative in Denver, where they're considering legalizing vaping in restaurants and bars, passes, I may stop drinking altogether, because then I can replace "booze" as a social lubricant with marijuana.
Pretty much man, although I'm good on that kiss

I've found it has helped me with my exercise. Not getting stoned, but a few hits before a long hike or a long bike ride has helped me. Clears my head, eases any muscle/joint pain, and allows me to see things more vividly.

Right before I moved here I did about 3 months of backpacking in Northern California. It was on that trip that I really dove into how I react to different strains - these are things I couldn't do in Illinois when bud is just bud. But now I know how I react to sativa vs. indica, edibles versus flower, tinctures versus vape pens, and I can use it more effectively depending on the situation I am in.

I don't blame people for not really understanding marijuana, no one was taught and we've all been DARED into thinking it's a drug like heroin. The sad thing is there is real medicine in it that people would benefit from. If only they were educated and open minded.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Colorado sounds like the utopia that I dreamed of when I was in my teens and 20's.
This is genuinely not trying to come across as braggy or exaggerative in any way, it's just the truth:

I've never been happier at any point in my entire life than I am here. Nothing's ever come remotely close to the quality of life I've discovered in this state. Colorado is a fucking incredible place to wake up to and be alive in every single day.

Overall, as someone that grew up on the east coast, I've found that people are much more friendly, the outdoors activities are vast and endless, there's a very healthy (nutritionally and in terms of activity) vibe among most people, the food options are endless and delicious, the local craft beer scene and the import options are incredible, there are gorgeous and friendly women everywhere (as a single guy, I can't leave that out), and it's ALWAYS fucking sunny and nice outside.

Again, it may sound trite, but I wake up every day, go for a 2-3ish mile walk before I have to dial in for work, and soak everything up in absolute amazement that this is now my every day life.

And that's before we get into the marijuana.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
Josh.0

I swear I did not reach Rosh's response to Mitch before I wrote mine. Seriously amazed that we both basically pointed out the same things that we love about this state.

The snow thing is huge. You get four true seasons here, but when it snows, within a day or two it'll be high 50's or 60's for three straight days and it's all gone. So you get the "prettiness" of the snow without all of the filth of having it sit for months and collect dirt, oil, and salt.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
celluloid hero

Best part about going to a dispensary is that you can be really specific about your buzz. I can get super paranoid and at worst get the spins and I've had a few panic attacks over the years after over-smoking. So when I go there, I can tell my budtender that I want such a body buzz that I can feel my muscles cringing, but a mostly clear head and they'll immediately pull four strands out for me to look at.

And to me, there's no such thing as doing cardio sober. When I'm in a cardio phase, I usually get a few shows handy on my phone to listen to, pregame, and the 45 minutes are gone in an instant.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Best part about going to a dispensary is that you can be really specific about your buzz. I can get super paranoid and at worst get the spins and I've had a few panic attacks over the years after over-smoking. So when I go there, I can tell my budtender that I want such a body buzz that I can feel my muscles cringing, but a mostly clear head and they'll immediately pull four strands out for me to look at.

And to me, there's no such thing as doing cardio sober. When I'm in a cardio phase, I usually get a few shows handy on my phone to listen to, pregame, and the 45 minutes are gone in an instant.
What options do you have in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana? Any medicinal out there even?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
K270
Kan Pai

Not a user but the legalization of weed is on California's ballot this November. Watch for Prop 64. If it passes it will make the recreational use of Marijuana legal in California.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
What options do you have in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana? Any medicinal out there even?
Medicinal just legalized, but not implemented in Ohio yet. They're expected mid-2017 last I saw. They put a terrible recreational law on the ballot last year that limited the farms in the state to an oligarchy of 10 celebrities including Nick Lachey, that was a "rich get richer" and even pot activists advised to vote it down and wait for a better law. We were also the first state to try to legalize recreational without medicinal already being legalized. Maybe a better one will be on the ballot next year.

I won't scam the medicinal, though. Too many people have real problems and I have a consistent and pretty high quality source. I just can't tell him my desired results. He's got what he's got :-).
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #17
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I use marijuana regularly in a medicinal state. I have a lot of thoughts and ideas on this matter but for now: it is hilarious and sad to me that it's 2016 and we only have 2 legal states. For thousands of reasons, let's get the lead out!
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #18
mja271

Me and my fiancé have a bunch of stuff on hand usually, between edibles and shit for smoking. She smokes a little every night and it has helped her trouble with sleeping immensely. I like it but use far less often, maybe once every couple of weeks. It should absolutely be legalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Not currently. When it becomes legal in Illinois, I'll definitely pick it up and use it in place of smoking cigars.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Never once used it.

Should be legal

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc