These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #161
homermcclane

the re-recorded songs are out today. aside from (what sounds to me like) a shitty drum machine doing the backing, it's pretty good. not sure it's better than the originals, but it also doesn't sound worse.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #162
brian3641

Listening now. It's good, but these songs did not need to be "reimagined", they were fine as they were. He just needed to start playing them live again. I don't know if any of you read his memoir, but he was quite vitriolic about all Soul Coughing songs and now, all of the sudden he wants to redo them and start playing them at shows. I'm usually a Doughty apologist, but this pretty much seems like a cash grab to me. Unfortunately, I paid for it. The acoustic videos are good though, that's a plus.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #163
homermcclane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Listening now. It's good, but these songs did not need to be "reimagined", they were fine as they were. He just needed to start playing them live again. I don't know if any of you read his memoir, but he was quite vitriolic about all Soul Coughing songs and now, all of the sudden he wants to redo them and start playing them at shows. I'm usually a Doughty apologist, but this pretty much seems like a cash grab to me. Unfortunately, I paid for it. The acoustic videos are good though, that's a plus.
i think he's been saying that the re-imagining of the songs was meant to be therapeutic for him. the problem is, he picked most of the soul coughing songs that were good as is. there was plenty of shit songs that could've been reworked. "how many cans," "monster man," and "mr. bitterness" - some of the crappier soul coughing tunes - are all much improved this time around. "the idiot kings," "circles," and "super bon bon," (which were near perfect to begin with) are not.

i honestly don't think doughty does much as a cash grab. i think he has a small, consistent fanbase that buys whatever he makes. for years he was turning down requests from that fanbase to play these songs, and now he sees a way for both sides to get what they want.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #164
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcclane View Post
i think he's been saying that the re-imagining of the songs was meant to be therapeutic for him. the problem is, he picked most of the soul coughing songs that were good as is. there was plenty of shit songs that could've been reworked. "how many cans," "monster man," and "mr. bitterness" - some of the crappier soul coughing tunes - are all much improved this time around. "the idiot kings," "circles," and "super bon bon," (which were near perfect to begin with) are not.

i honestly don't think doughty does much as a cash grab. i think he has a small, consistent fanbase that buys whatever he makes. for years he was turning down requests from that fanbase to play these songs, and now he sees a way for both sides to get what they want.
Good post, I agree with most of what you say. But, Mr. Bitterness is one of my favorite Soul Coughing songs. And there's already a great acoustic version of that from "The Skittish Sessions". Also, I don't think they have a lot of shit songs. Maybe a few.

How much of their unreleased stuff have you heard? They have like, almost two albums worth of b-sides/live only songs. Just curious. I could hook you up, if you're interested.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #165
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

not very familiar with Doughty's music and not sure I can be totally familiar by tomorrow when I have the opportunity to interview him if I want it (if I don't feel comfortable I simply won't do it). Mike is playing at The Life Is Good Festival in Canton, MA this weekend. I am covering the festival for Jambsse.com.

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could give me a little recent background on the guy if they have time, but really I am wondering what the FANS might want to know. Looking for some good questions...
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #166
brian3641

Here's my question:

"You've been quite vocal in the past about your dislike for the Soul Coughing material. For years you've refused to play the songs live, to the point where you'd get angry if someone requested one. You also gave the songs a good bashing in you memoir. Why the sudden change of heart?"
Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #167
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

thank you.

keep them coming...

can you or anyone direct me to a active MD fan board if one exists...
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #168
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Here's my question:

"You've been quite vocal in the past about your dislike for the Soul Coughing material. For years you've refused to play the songs live, to the point where you'd get angry if someone requested one. You also gave the songs a good bashing in you memoir. Why the sudden change of heart?"
He said on Maron's podcast that it's not the songs he disliked, rather it was the memories they drudged up, the drug-hazed days, fighting with the other band members, the other guys making him feel lucky to even be in their presence. So I think for quite a few years there, even those years when he was indulging fans with SC tunes, it just reminded him of those days he doesn't care for.

I mean, is it whiny bullshit? I think so. But at the same time ya can't fault him for having that mentality. So it's not like it's some quick turn of events that changed his view of those SC songs. He just wants to make them his own and have the credit for them in his name, which in my opinion he definitely deserves, especially since the rest of the SC guys kinda screwed him on that end and Doughty doesn't even own the rights to those Soul Coughing songs he wrote.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #169
TDunk

Debating seeing him live in Nov...27 bucks
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #170
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
He said on Maron's podcast that it's not the songs he disliked, rather it was the memories they drudged up, the drug-hazed days, fighting with the other band members, the other guys making him feel lucky to even be in their presence. So I think for quite a few years there, even those years when he was indulging fans with SC tunes, it just reminded him of those days he doesn't care for.

I mean, is it whiny bullshit? I think so. But at the same time ya can't fault him for having that mentality. So it's not like it's some quick turn of events that changed his view of those SC songs. He just wants to make them his own and have the credit for them in his name, which in my opinion he definitely deserves, especially since the rest of the SC guys kinda screwed him on that end and Doughty doesn't even own the rights to those Soul Coughing songs he wrote.
Cool. I always thought it was more the bad memories and the band being assholes, I just wish he would've made his previous statements more clear. Just say, "it's not the songs I dislike, it's the history." Boom, fine. It's just that, IMO, he made it seem like you're an asshole if you still like SC. IDK if you read his memoir, but there's a point where he pretty much says (I'm paraphrasing) "If you still like SC it's because you were a stoned teenager when you first heard it and you don't want to let that part of your life go." That's kind of insulting, especially when most people think SC trumps his solo stuff. I mean, I've seen him like 7 or 8 times live solo, so I still supported him after SC. Why make jabs at your fanbase? I just don't get it.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #171
Fan#41

I agree with you. I've said it before, that I just wish he'd be more honest especially with himself. The other 3 guys were absolute dicks to Doughty and really fucked him over, but Doughty never admits that he himself was undoubtedly insufferable back in those days. I think he's just so blind with bitterness about all the shit that went down and it just spills over into comments about some of his fans regarding those older tunes and he doesn't realize it's alienating.

I think in Doughty's mind, by trying to distance himself and absolve himself from the Soul Coughing songs, he though it was therapeutic. He even went in the complete opposite direction with the Lust In Phaze (SC greatest hits album) and picked the songs and wrote interesting blurbs about each song in the booklet, some seem to have a fond memory like he and Ani DiFranco taking turns with a single guitar playing each other songs in a dormroom.

I just think a good portion of those songs were very personal for Doughty, and to have those personal attachments not even legally be yours anymore must fuck with you on some level. And I think he tried to approach it in a few ways, with a greatest hits record after the band split, then just flat out performing the songs on his own, then trying to distance himself from the songs, all the way to making broad and dishonest statements about how he dislikes the songs then reveals it's not the songs but the connections to them.

Oh well. We'll always have those three great albums; Ruby Vroom, Irresistible Bliss, and El Oso.

On a related note, I remember reading this and then it was also posted on ufck years ago that Trent Reznor was asked who his favorite artist or band was at the time, and I think this was in '99 or '00, and he said Soul Coughing. I always thought that was really cool.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #172
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I agree with you. I've said it before, that I just wish he'd be more honest especially with himself. The other 3 guys were absolute dicks to Doughty and really fucked him over, but Doughty never admits that he himself was undoubtedly insufferable back in those days. I think he's just so blind with bitterness about all the shit that went down and it just spills over into comments about some of his fans regarding those older tunes and he doesn't realize it's alienating.

I think in Doughty's mind, by trying to distance himself and absolve himself from the Soul Coughing songs, he though it was therapeutic. He even went in the complete opposite direction with the Lust In Phaze (SC greatest hits album) and picked the songs and wrote interesting blurbs about each song in the booklet, some seem to have a fond memory like he and Ani DiFranco taking turns with a single guitar playing each other songs in a dormroom.

I just think a good portion of those songs were very personal for Doughty, and to have those personal attachments not even legally be yours anymore must fuck with you on some level. And I think he tried to approach it in a few ways, with a greatest hits record after the band split, then just flat out performing the songs on his own, then trying to distance himself from the songs, all the way to making broad and dishonest statements about how he dislikes the songs then reveals it's not the songs but the connections to them.

Oh well. We'll always have those three great albums; Ruby Vroom, Irresistible Bliss, and El Oso.

On a related note, I remember reading this and then it was also posted on ufck years ago that Trent Reznor was asked who his favorite artist or band was at the time, and I think this was in '99 or '00, and he said Soul Coughing. I always thought that was really cool.
First off, amazing post! You pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I did not know that about Reznor, that is pretty cool. I don't know if you've ever read Slanky, Doughty's book of poetry, but there are blurbs on the back cover from both Dave and Ben Folds, which I always thought was great.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #173
Fan#41

Speaking off all this back-and-forth of Doughty's views, thoughts, opinions on the SC songs, here's a great performance of Fully Retractable.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #174
Bluewater34
Is Old

I'm glad this popped up, because I've been wanting to ask somebody what's going on with Doughty the last few years. I love Soul Coughing, and I've really enjoyed most of his solo albums, but the last few have been insanely all over the place.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #175
NiCK Crush

Really looking forward to this re-release package:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Haughty Melodic was Mike Doughty’s post-Soul Coughing breakthrough. Recorded in Minneapolis with producer Dan Wilson, and signed to ATO after a chance meeting with Dave Matthews at Bonnaroo. Doughty has described the set as "a bunch of songs about yearning and redemption and happiness and hope.” This remaster is presented with deluxe packaging, bonus tracks, and liner notes by Mike Doughty himself.

Includes instant download of “I’m Still Drinking In My Dreams".

Track List:
1. Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well
2. Unsingable Name
3. Madeline and Nine
4. Busting Up A Starbucks
5. White Lexus
6. American Car
7. Tremendous Brunettes
8. I Hear The Bells
9. Sunken-Eyed Girl
10. Grey Ghost
11. His Truth is Marching On
12. Your Misfortune
13. I'm Still Drinking In My Dreams
14. All The Time

Vinyl package includes:
- Purple vinyl, comes in a gatefold jacket with liner notes from Mike Doughty
- Yellow 7”, includes two bonus tracks from the “Haughty Melodic” era: “I’m Still Drinking In My Dreams” and “All The Time (Dan Wilson demo)”

Please note - this album is available for pre-order and will ship on or around June 3.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #176
Bluewater34
Is Old

Nice. I will be buying that.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #177
TDunk

Great album
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #178
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Nice, I've already got it on vinyl, so I'll skip, but that's pretty cool.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #179
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Nice, I've already got it on vinyl, so I'll skip, but that's pretty cool.
I do too, but my copy is shit and a bit warped. Easy choice to upgrade.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #180
NiCK Crush

Mine arrived today. Eager to listen later tonight

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc