These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #1001
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

in the process of creating a home gym for my apartment. Nothing crazy, an incline/flat bench seat and plenty of free weights.

Considering getting a weight rack, a bar, and plates for benching and the like. But I've found I can get a lot done with just dumbbells.

does anyone have any thoughts or tips on the best way to deck out a home gym? I don't have THAT much space, so I'm trying to be economical here.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #1002
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
in the process of creating a home gym for my apartment. Nothing crazy, an incline/flat bench seat and plenty of free weights.

Considering getting a weight rack, a bar, and plates for benching and the like. But I've found I can get a lot done with just dumbbells.

does anyone have any thoughts or tips on the best way to deck out a home gym? I don't have THAT much space, so I'm trying to be economical here.
I've done similar in my garage. I got an flat/incline bench with olympic weight set on CL and just slowly added additiomal free weights as needed. Did a pull up bar and a punching bag. That and running keeps me in good enough shape. You can find great deals on bench/olympic plates on cl.

I recently had to devise a pully system to assist with my incline. The way the bench is it just put so much stress on my shoulders getting the weight off the rack. Started to cause some issues. But it's gravy now.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #1003
TDunk

Ha a pulley system that's awesome
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #1004
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Tis the season.

Back on the treadmill, trying to do 4 miles every other day or so. I definitely like running outside more, but the treadmill tends to bring the results.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #1005
mja271

I've gradually gained back all the weight I lost a couple of years ago and then some, which has been very disheartening. With a wedding coming up in a year and a half or so I'm trying to re-motivate and return to a healthy lifestyle but man I've got to admit that I have a ton of self loathing for allowing myself to get heavy again. I'm still a big, broad guy (6'3") so my body holds the weight alright and I don't look fat necessarily but I had lost 45lbs and kept it off for about a year. Then just started to slip into old bad habits, and kept telling myself I'd cut it off before it got out of hand, and next thing you know I was on a downward spiral of weight gain. Frustrating, but I guess the first step is identifying the problem and taking action. Hopefully next time I check in here I'm back on the right path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #1006
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I've gradually gained back all the weight I lost a couple of years ago and then some, which has been very disheartening. With a wedding coming up in a year and a half or so I'm trying to re-motivate and return to a healthy lifestyle but man I've got to admit that I have a ton of self loathing for allowing myself to get heavy again. I'm still a big, broad guy (6'3") so my body holds the weight alright and I don't look fat necessarily but I had lost 45lbs and kept it off for about a year. Then just started to slip into old bad habits, and kept telling myself I'd cut it off before it got out of hand, and next thing you know I was on a downward spiral of weight gain. Frustrating, but I guess the first step is identifying the problem and taking action. Hopefully next time I check in here I'm back on the right path.
I had a similar slump this year. Gradually gained 30 pounds, which put me right on the edge of the danger zone. So I've hit the gym reasonably hard, one day at a time, and definitely been getting back to fighting shape. Once I string a few good weeks together, the diet starts to naturally fall in place and I'm back to a healthier lifestyle.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #1007
mja271

Right on man. I think my problem has been reestablishing that rhythm. I'll be good for a week and then get sidetracked. Usually once you get through a few weeks as you said it becomes more of a habit and easier to gain momentum. As cliché as the dieting in the new year is, I'm really trying to look at it as an opportunity to start fresh. I know I have the capability to lose weight, and to even maintain the weight loss. I just need to quit making excuses and take accountability for my situation. That's the tough thing about your weight; while there are certain conditions or predispositions, it's really all on you to do the work and truly earn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #1008
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Good luck to you man. You should listen to the bill burr podcast. He is pretty funny about weight loss and keeps me motivated. He certainly goes back and forth (mostly in his mind, he is still in great shape for his age). I was listening to his 12/5/16 MMP today and it was cracking me up. Near the beginning, after talking about racing, he starts into weight loss and it is hilarious. Worth checking out.

I finally just had to realize there was no going back to eating crappy ever. I used to eat pizza 1-2x a week. Now it is like once a month, if that. Getting older it is really realizing the changes have to be permanent. Not just until you hit the goal. I'm going to go pretty lean after the new year and cut way back on my beer consumption and see if I can't get into the best shape of my life. I feel great now, but I'm so close to getting to a really great spot. I'm going to see what I can do in 3 months of being as clean as I can.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #1009
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

No more excuses bitches. Get out there and get on it.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #1010
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
No more excuses bitches. Get out there and get on it.
Yes sir. I gave up soda for a year and a half (jack & coke was the drink, but no booze since September 2015) - but ditched it when the Cubs won the world series. Went a little overboard the last month - so it's back to cold turkey for me.

Kicking booze was one of the better decisions I've made and it helps the diet for sure.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #1011
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

everyone. So I want to make a conscious and serious effort to get back into the same shape that I was 5 years ago.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #1012
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Just gotta do work. Every day.
Spoiler:
No matter what.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #1013
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Just gotta do work. Every day.
Spoiler:
No matter what.
Yea definitely. We all have to start somewhere, right?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #1014
Josh.0

Man I feel like I haven't posted in here in a long time.

These days I'm doing a 6ish day rotation of:

Gym: High intensity, full-body circuit
Yoga
Gym: Upper body, heavy
Yoga
Gym: High intensity, full-body circuit
Yoga
Off

And it's leaned me out a lot. Currently sitting at about 188lbs. Usually I'm more between 195 - 205. I've given up alpha lifts like benching, squatting, and deadlifting and replaced it with more body weight based stuff and high rep circuits.

On my "heavy upper body" day I will use nautilus machines to work my chest a bit more, but that's it when it comes to working that area. Otherwise it's a whole lot of pull-ups, dips, super sets, etc that help keep my HR elevated. Almost always sore, and I love it. Never felt more athletic and "well rounded," when it comes to overall fitness level, in my entire life. Pretty lean right now, I'd guess somewhere around 9-10%. Colorado is a great place to live a pretty damn healthy lifestyle...you're always moving if you want to be.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc