These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
NiCK Crush

Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
holdyouclose

It's all about looking like a juice head guido....if you're into the Snookie look
holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
ethaxton

Just tried out Hyper FX, new pre-workout from BSN. Probably my favorite so far...small, concentrated scoops so it doesn't jack your stomach up and doesn't have the 1-3 stim like Jack3d.

Other than that I don't take any supplements. Use liquid egg whites instead of whey protein for a fruit shake/smoothie post-workout. Also take a multi-vitamin. All the other stuff I've tried over the years seemed bogus or pretty much a waste.

I average 5 days a week in the gym. Never really do the same workouts so I don't get burnt out. Can't imagine my life without the gym really. Great stress relief and quality people watching time.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
harmonikfuzion

I trained to be in the seals when i was in high school, since then I haven't done much mainly because I have a fucked up back... and a possible drinking problem.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonikfuzion View Post
I trained to be in the seals when i was in high school, since then I haven't done much mainly because I have a fucked up back... and a possible drinking problem.
Doesn't one take care of the other though?
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
Can't imagine my life without the gym really. Great stress relief and quality people watching time.
This. This is exactly why I'm into it as well. With so much shit day to day, it's good to get home feeling tired and ready to relax rather than wound up and annoyed about work or whatever else from that particular day.

Also, sweaty hot chicks in tights are just too good to pass up.

I usually go 4-6 days myself, though most weeks it ends up being closer to the 5-6 day range. On off days I try to do something other than sit on my ass, so I'll usually go walking into the city or jump on my road bike. I don't know what it is - and I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about - but you get into a certain frame of mind where you feel like shit for sitting around doing nothing, even for a day or two.

Lately I've been using Isofast 50 because of the supposed advanced absorption "formula," but the taste is quickly wearing out on me to the point that the last couple of workouts haven't been followed up with a shake:

I think of all isolate protein products, the strawberry Vitamin World Whey Protein Isolate is my favorite:

ethax - I've never used a pre-workout supplement. Do you really see benefits from using it? Usually I just down a bottle of coconut water to hydrate and take in a few carbs before heading out.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
Josh.0

One other thing - does anyone know of any good online nutritional resources? Free or cheap is optimal.

I'd like to start a diverse high protein, reduced carb (not *low* carb) diet, but I don't want to pay a nutritionist to throw one together for me and I'm not creative enough to come up with a decent plan on my own. I'd end up eating chicken breasts and broccoli every night.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
ethaxton

Yeah, pre-workout is almost a must for me if I am tired or going after work. Some people don't need it as they have pretty high energy levels already. I have a slightly underactive thyroid so sometimes I need a little boost.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
ethaxton

You can just scour the nutrition forum on bodybuilding.com...pretty good resource.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #30
harmonikfuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Doesn't one take care of the other though?
worked last night. liquor tastes way better than advil anyway.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
You can just scour the nutrition forum on bodybuilding.com...pretty good resource.
I'll check it out, thanks for that.

This is going to make me look like a meathead, but recently, in the last month or two, I’ve been trying to work towards figuring out/establishing my "max" bench. In the past I've always used free weights for chest, because I'm not into the whole dick measuring thing that generally comes with the bench press.

But I was pretty happy because I repped 285 four times yesterday; I want to see if I can hit 300 by month's end. Just a little gym goal, which is the kind of thing that keeps me going (other than aforementioned hot chicks in spandex).

As an aside, if another house of a dude spots me and, as usual, turns it into a self-appointed “advice” session, I’m gonna flip. One guy yesterday said I wasn’t fully extending my arms, implying that I wasn’t finishing out the motion and cheating the set.

Then, knowing that was crap, when I upped the weight and fully extended my arms (close to - but not - locking them), he “warned” me afterwards not to lock my arms. Ten minutes later I saw him maxing out at 275, and it all started to make sense. That’s the one thing I hate about lifting, all the other jerkoffs think you have the same competitive mindset that they do.

Last edited by Josh.0; 02-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #32
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I use this after every workout (roughly 5 times a weeks) and the results have been great so far.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
ethaxton

How much do you weigh Josh.?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #34
Josh.0

I'm 6' 190 lbs
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #35
Josh.0

I decided I'm gonna see a nutritionist next week; made an appointment today. I wanna clean up my diet and see what she offers. I already eat pretty healthy (sometimes I dig into beer/sweets a little too much), but I want to come up with a personalized plan that'll incorporate more variety, general nutrition and sustainability into my diet.

Again, totally meatheaded thing to say, but I want to cut from about 12% body fat down to about 8%. I'm hoping this chick will have some ideas.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #36
ethaxton

Reduce your carbs and hit the sauna after your workout. Eat a lot of natural fats. If you can eat more natural fats, and reduce your carbs by a lot your body will get into a mode where it is burning fat before carbs because it doesn't have enough carbs to sustain the energy it needs. You'll be tired for a few days without the carbs but once your body converts you'll feel fine again. Then after a few weeks of buring fat just go back to your regular diet. Your body will convert back but you'll have shed a few points.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #37
Josh.0

Honestly, I have never understood the benefit of hitting the sauna. It seemed like it's always just a bunch of old dudes losing water weight. Am I missing something (really)?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #38
Josh.0

Usually, I have "reduced carb" weeks about once every month or two, where I'll use Livestrong Myplate to monitor my carb intake and make sure I'm not exceeding 100g per day. Combined with all the lifting and speed rope work I do, after about 7-10 days I'll drop about 5, 6 or 7 pounds.

The problem is I want something that's sustainable long term, and I don't think I get enough nutrients in my normal diet. I take in plenty of protein (I aim for about 125-175g per day), but I find I'm tired a lot and literally can't start thinking clearly in the morning unless I have two or three cups of coffee. I'm missing something, and multi-v's always make my stomach upset, so I want to go the dietary route.

Your advice is definitely solid though, because I can attest to it working first hand. People don't realize how easy it can be to limit carb intake to 100G for just a couple weeks and lose a lot of weight in the process. Someone severely overweight could do the same thing for a month and I bet they'd lose 20-30 pounds. The problem is people think reduced carb means low carb, and it does not. Low carb diets call for like <15g per day, which is just stupid. 100g is much more doable.

I'd bet most severely overweight people take in 400-600g or more carbs per day and don't even realize it.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #39
FiddySpence
TDCya

this is so disappointing, ever since this thread was created i've been looking for the picture of the meathead getting his swell on with linkin park lyrics written on it.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #40
ethaxton

I don't know, the sauna just seems to cleanse my system. The sauna I go to is co-ed so no worry of naked old dudes and usually some eye candy in there. If there is nobody in there I'll do some pushups and situps in there as well.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc