These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #181
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
That sounds like a lot...too many calories. Your metabolism is already going if you're working out a lot. I'd skip that 7am scoop honestly. Have a cup of coffee.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #182
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
That sounds like a lot...too many calories. Your metabolism is already going if you're working out a lot. I'd skip that 7am scoop honestly. Have a cup of coffee.
Agreed. Your body can only synthesize so much protein. Anything that doesn't get used will just turn to fat.
__________________
UN-BAN SMITTAY! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! #OccupyTDC #Smittay

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #183
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,631
Just use steroids brah
__________________
Yeedog referred me.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #184
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 17,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Just use steroids brah
so many bros at my gym are on it.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #185
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
That sounds like a lot...too many calories. Your metabolism is already going if you're working out a lot. I'd skip that 7am scoop honestly. Have a cup of coffee.


Sounds like a good idea, I'm not a coffee kinda guy, but I get the drift.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #186
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Agreed. Your body can only synthesize so much protein. Anything that doesn't get used will just turn to fat.
I thought you should be eating a gram of protein per pound of your goal weight, i.e. I should be eating about 185grams of protein a day. And right now I'm having issues doing that within my calorie range.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #187
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I thought you should be eating a gram of protein per pound of your goal weight, i.e. I should be eating about 185grams of protein a day. And right now I'm having issues doing that within my calorie range.
I don't think it's 1g in stone. I believe .8-1.0 is a sufficient range. You're right on the basic concept though.

More importantly than getting that number on the nose is when you take it. Randomly drinking protein shakes throughout the day won't do much good really. I think people go crazy on the protein shakes, especially whey protein shakes. I haven't used whey in 3 or 4 years and haven't missed it. Liquid egg whites seem to be a much cleaner source of protein and work better for me. The shakes are meant to supplement, not replace. So anything more than a two scoop shake after a workout is overkill IMO. Get more protein from natural foods like meats, nuts and dairy. You'll get some natural fats you need that way as well too.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #188
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
I don't think it's 1g in stone. I believe .8-1.0 is a sufficient range. You're right on the basic concept though.

More importantly than getting that number on the nose is when you take it. Randomly drinking protein shakes throughout the day won't do much good really. I think people go crazy on the protein shakes, especially whey protein shakes. I haven't used whey in 3 or 4 years and haven't missed it. Liquid egg whites seem to be a much cleaner source of protein and work better for me. The shakes are meant to supplement, not replace. So anything more than a two scoop shake after a workout is overkill IMO. Get more protein from natural foods like meats, nuts and dairy. You'll get some natural fats you need that way as well too.
That range will change more or less depending on the literature you read, but it's generally correct. Obviously, whether you're at the top or bottom of that range depends on how active a lifestyle you live. I agree that protein shakes are overdone and that it should be used as a supplement and not a replacement for protein in your diet. Unused protein is either stored in the body or excreted, which depending on your medical history may cause renal damage (kidneys). If you're using whey, though, I'd suggest using it as your protein source after your workout since it is quickly digested. Also, a great point above is getting natural fats. Your muscles need calories, so it's important to not just focus on protein, but fats and carbs as well.
__________________
UN-BAN SMITTAY! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! #OccupyTDC #Smittay

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #189
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
That range will change more or less depending on the literature you read, but it's generally correct. Obviously, whether you're at the top or bottom of that range depends on how active a lifestyle you live. I agree that protein shakes are overdone and that it should be used as a supplement and not a replacement for protein in your diet. Unused protein is either stored in the body or excreted, which depending on your medical history may cause renal damage (kidneys). If you're using whey, though, I'd suggest using it as your protein source after your workout since it is quickly digested. Also, a great point above is getting natural fats. Your muscles need calories, so it's important to not just focus on protein, but fats and carbs as well.
I take my 2 scoops less than 15 minutes after my work out, and I take casein before bed. I've stopped the scoop in the morning as suggested above because its a waste as you've said, and I dont want unused protein turning to fat.

I have turned my diet around 100%, lots of greek yogurt, smoothies, chicken/fish, almonds/nuts, fruits, veggies, calorie counting every meal, which is important for me because i like sauces and all sorts of stuff in my meals. I have just now gotten to where I am learning to make meals with everything so I'm not just eating a boring piece of chicken and veggies for lunch/dinner. We've been doing alot of stuffed pitas, salads and stir fries without the oil lol.

I just had a gladiator for breakfast and todays my off day, so I should obviously skip my 2 scoops for today right? I've yet to have a off day in the 5 weeks I've been training like this. We are going to the beach in June and I just wanted to be as skinny as I can be by then.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #190
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
Instead of taking Casein before bed, just eat a little cottage cheese.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #191
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
Instead of taking Casein before bed, just eat a little cottage cheese.
I have done that, I used to eat a cup before bed, but its the same amount of protein and less calories with the casein, plus when I wake up my stomach doesnt hurt like it does with cottage cheese, i have issues with cottage cheese lol.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #192
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
Haha, understandable. Just suggesting since you were commenting on the cost of all the supplements.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #193
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
Haha, understandable. Just suggesting since you were commenting on the cost of all the supplements.
yeah i appreciate that, i think in the long run its about the same price as that many cartons of cottage cheese, cause a carton is 2 servings basically, and a $52 4lbs of casein is 52 servings, so its not too bad. I think with cutting that one back, and the initial shock of going to GNC for my first stuff, and then having to run out a week later because I blew through it because I was using it wrong running out its not too bad. Its still expensive, but I think I can make it work.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #194
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
Wait, you go to GNC?
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #195
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Not any more, I did for my first buy just because I wanted to get started and not let my mind get the best of me, I use bodybuilding.com or vitamin shoppe for my supplements.

I weighed in this morning at 232.8. Its been I believe 4-5 weeks, I really cannot remember exactly when I started, I want to say it was first or second weekend in april. I started at about 255.

We have a trip planned to the beach for the first weekend of june to the second, so I am starting animal cuts today to try and get a few extra pounds off and maybe get some definition. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I started my first packet this morning and have had no side effects or anything, and the thermogenics havent really bothered me at all. The nice thing about the pack is that the thermogenics and the stimulant are 2 seperate pills, so I can take them out if I would rather take my Assault. So I plan on trying a work out with the pill and no assault, and then the next day just assault to see which works better. I hope its the assault because I have 2 cans and dont feel like having it sit around.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #196
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
I'll never forget when I bought Animal Pak multivitamins. What a ridiculous amount of pills to take. Orange Triad are the best multi's available IMO. Never tried Animal Cuts but I've never really been trying to shed weight.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #197
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
I'll never forget when I bought Animal Pak multivitamins. What a ridiculous amount of pills to take. Orange Triad are the best multi's available IMO. Never tried Animal Cuts but I've never really been trying to shed weight.
I have been planning on changing my multi, right now I am taking a generic one a day because of the price, but I swear some of that stuff is just placebos sometimes.

I've heard alot of great things regarding Orange products. Whats the price point?
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #198
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
After a few days on Animal Cuts I'm convinced its legit. I've lost 2-3 since started it wednesday. Its a great appetite suppressant, the thermogenics havent done anything in a negative manor to me, cept when I eat it makes my stomach all warm and I feel like I immediately have to make brownies.

Does anyone take BCAAs? Specifically xtends? I love this stuff, but I've only ever taken 1 scoop a day and suggested dosages online are 3-4 scoops for someone over 200 pounds. Thats insane to me. Does anyone do this many scoops and can tell a difference? And I guess maybe I'm not getting as much from it as I thought I was because I thought its main purpose was to keep you from being sore and have less down time, but online this one claims it should give me energy and help with my pumps.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #199
sdaltons
 
sdaltons's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Found a pretty good calorie counting app on my phone. Apparently to lose 2 pounds in a healthy manor I need to be eating no more than 1690 calories a day. I think I can work with that. The app is pretty cool, you can scan the barcode of what you ate and tell it how many servings and it'll tell you how many calories you have left and all that jazz. Hopefully this will help out some. I've also decided since I work out every day, that I plan on doing 3 days of only hour long cardio a week. I think at the point I'm at right now I'd rather lose some more weight before I start putting on loads of muscle, plus I go to the beach in a little over a month, so it'd be nice to be in the 220 or less area by then If possible.
name of app please
__________________
-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #200
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
name of app please
Guess that might help huh? MyFitnessPal. Its a very cool app and helps me out so much. You can add in how many calories you've burned from your work out and it will calculate that in to how much you can have on the day.

After you've put in everything you've ate for the day you hit "Log this for this day" or something along those lines and it'll tell you how much you'd weigh in 5 weeks If you ate that way every day. Obviously the days you work out arent going to be the same, cause I burn 1000+ with my cardio, and I do not eat 2600 calories to make up for that lol.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.12401 seconds with 23 queries