These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #141
Huff
The Original Tracklist

I took the kids to see this last week, after the Christmas craziness had calmed, and came away liking it even more on the second viewing. Why? The scenes that were jarring in the first viewing, weren't in the second. I still hate space Leia...I feel that it would've had the same gravity, but been less hokey, if she wasn't like 300 yards out from the ship, but instead, clinging to something on the bridge, exposed to the vacuum of space. Same deal, but not as cheap visually.

Some of the "comedy" moments didn't feel as grating this time around, either. Poe's smart-ass scene with Hux was actually more enjoyable than awkward on the second viewing. That said, I still hate Hux as a character. Vader would've choked this guy into oblivion in the first 10 minutes of being with him. Snoke and Kylo Ren keep him around for his limited value, though, and it just doesn't fit when considering that Snoke was supposed to be powerful (as powerful as the Emperor?) and Kylo Ren wants to be just like grandpa.

The Canto Bight scene was still too long. They could've easily trimmed that down and gotten everything needed in, with much less time wasted for the sake of visual effects that weren't overly exciting.

The scene where the Vice Admiral rams the fleet is up there with my favorite scenes of the saga. As is the Snoke/Kylo/Rey/Pretorian scene. And, really, the Luke scene at the end...the image of him standing with all of the AT-AT walkers on the horizon and his silhouette was pretty badass.

Finn should've been allowed to sacrifice himself. IMO, it would've made for a complete character arc for him that would make the character more awesome. Going from someone who was trying, again, to abandon the resistance to being fully immersed, facing off against his nemesis once & for all and then charging down the barrel of a super-laser to save the remaining resistance would've been awesome.

Rey having the Jedi texts at the end, and the prospect that we'll see her still get trained by not only force-ghost Luke, but maybe even OTHER force ghosts like Yoda, Obi-Wan and, hell, why not Qui-Gon, as she rebuilds the Jedi has me excited for the next movie.

The kids liked it a lot aside from my daughter. She is a teenager and everything is "meh" these days. But the boys run around the house playing out scenes from the movie with their characters and legos like crazy (and they talk about this one more than they've talked about any of the other movies aside from Empire). Kind of interesting to see their level of happiness, that isn't tainted by reading internet posts to death.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #142
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I also recently saw it. Eh, I don't know about that movie.

A few things come to mind. 1. The worst part of the movie for me was the Finn/Asian chick stuff. Finn should have died in TFA. His character got worse in this one. The other character (I honestly don't remember her name) was awful. Cringe-worthy - especially when Finn was ready to end himself and she has to throw in the "believe in love" crap. Just dreadful for me.

There was absolutely no reason for the Leia space scene. It was horrible, it looked awful, and made me laugh out loud. She simply could have been injured by the blast and the rest of the story would have been fine (although I was sad to hear Admiral Akbar died).

Canto Bight was way too long and most of it was unnecessary.

I didn't like most of the forced comedy moments. Poe's snark with Hux was.. awkward. I also hated Luke tossing the lightsaber.

That said, there were some really cool moments too. That salt planet was really awesome. Definitely had flashes of Hoth/Empire, but also it was different. I thought the graphics overall were really good.

Not really excited about the upcoming solo movie, but I'll be revved up for episode 9.

One other thought. I don't really watch Marvel/comic movies but this felt more like that than a star wars movie. Does that make sense to anyone else?
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #143
.Gary.

This shit is full of spoilers, but it's been almost a month and it's a spoiler thread anyway. You've been warned.

"Let the past die."

Such irony given the fact that:

1.) Resistance needs to escape their recently discovered hidden base.
2.) Young protagonist goes to strange planet to learn about the Force.
3.) Heroes meet a shady guy who may be able to help them, but he ends up double crossing them.
4.) Resistance ends up on a planet of salt(they even have one of the soldiers announce "salt" so you don't think they're on Hoth, again)
5.) Giant walkers firing on speeders.
6.) Bad jedi takes good jedi to his boss who shows the good jedi the space battle and her friends dying to taunt her.

They shoehorned most of Empire and the Emperor/Vader/Luke part of Jedi into this movie.

Holdo, what the fuck. Who cares about her. She has no meaning to anyone and doesn't have any emotional resonance with viewers.

Space Leia. Are you fucking serious?

Yeah, I refused to kill my dad who was a known murderer and evil fuck but a nephew who was being torn apart by Snoke? Let me kill him instead of the BAD GUY.

Hux is a joke.

Rose is hilariously awful. Jar Jar at least was intended to be fucking stupid.

Space titty milking and drinking, great.

Canto Bight was worse than anything I've seen in any prequel. So fucking preachy about animals and wealth inequality. But hey, saving space camels is better than freeing the slave children.

This movie felt more like a conclusion than an Act II.

And they gave this guy his own trilogy?
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #144
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Agreed Gary.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #145
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
This shit is full of spoilers, but it's been almost a month and it's a spoiler thread anyway. You've been warned.

"Let the past die."

3.) Heroes meet a shady guy who may be able to help them, but he ends up double crossing them.
4.) Resistance ends up on a planet of salt(they even have one of the soldiers announce "salt" so you don't think they're on Hoth, again)
6.) Bad jedi takes good jedi to his boss who shows the good jedi the space battle and her friends dying to taunt her.

They shoehorned most of Empire and the Emperor/Vader/Luke part of Jedi into this movie.

Holdo, what the fuck. Who cares about her. She has no meaning to anyone and doesn't have any emotional resonance with viewers.

Yeah, I refused to kill my dad who was a known murderer and evil fuck but a nephew who was being torn apart by Snoke? Let me kill him instead of the BAD GUY.

Hux is a joke.

Canto Bight was worse than anything I've seen in any prequel. So fucking preachy about animals and wealth inequality. But hey, saving space camels is better than freeing the slave children.

Totally agreed on everything here Gary.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #146
bassplayer22

Except Luke doesn’t kill Ren.

There’s nothing in the prequels better than anything in this or TFA.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #147
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Finn should have died in TFA when he was fighting Kylo Ren. He had no business holding his own versus someone who essentially fought off Luke fucking Skywalker.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #148
bassplayer22

What business does Luke have in holding off Vader in Empire
Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #149
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Maybe my timeline is off but at that point he started his training with Yoda (didn't finish it yet, but started it) and he had elements of the force at that point. Also, Vader was his dad and knew it at that point and was still trying to get him to change to the dark side.

Does Finn have the force? I thought he was a stormtrooper. Kylo Renn had no incentive to keep Finn alive.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #150
bassplayer22

I just thought Ren was playing with him. Over confident bully pushing him around.

Finn defected. Ren was taking joy in it.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #151
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Maybe my timeline is off but at that point he started his training with Yoda (didn't finish it yet, but started it) and he had elements of the force at that point. Also, Vader was his dad and knew it at that point and was still trying to get him to change to the dark side.

Does Finn have the force? I thought he was a stormtrooper. Kylo Renn had no incentive to keep Finn alive.
If there is any thread that I'm allowed to be this geeky in, it's this one. You don't "have the force."

:-)
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #152
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Yeah, that's true. I think you know what I'm saying though.

I just don't understand how Finn would have been able to even battle Kylo for any amount of time. Even if Ren was toying with him, he should have finished him off. I thought he should have died in the last one and I was underwhelmed by the entire Finn/Rose nonsense in the newest one.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #153
celluloid hero

Of course. We can't bitch about expanded universe not being canon, and tiny little inconsistencies and let "have the force" go, ha.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #154
greykitkat36

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. I think you know what I'm saying though.

I just don't understand how Finn would have been able to even battle Kylo for any amount of time. Even if Ren was toying with him, he should have finished him off. I thought he should have died in the last one and I was underwhelmed by the entire Finn/Rose nonsense in the newest one.
I think it was fine to have Finn in this movie, but they really made his character/storyline so much worse than it could have been. Like most people have said in here already, the whole going to Canto Bight to find the codebreaker was really anti-climactic. I get the point was for those scenes to illustrate the crude "business" like behavior of the empire and that these people sell weapons to both sides, and that the true "bad guys" are the evil people involved with funding both sides of the war. And it was also a way to tie in the force-sensitive slave kids who will probably have a some kind of role in the next film. So I understand the purpose of the scenes, but just didn't like the message or direction of it.

It was essentially a totally new direction and take on Star Wars as we know it. The idea that the force isn't about good vs evil, but is rather a fine balance between the two, and that the true original Jedi's knew that having a delicate balance between the dark and light was essential. It seems to me that they are establishing the idea that the answers to everything is not in the dark side or the light side, but rather in the grey area inbetween. And I think that was the main theme drilled into us throughout. The whole lightsaber splitting in half (coinciding with Snoke splitting in half), and the island itself containing on the top of the hill the Jedi Temple but also at the bottom the deep dark pit with the mirror. It's all about "accepting" that there is a good and bad side to the force and that both are necessary and one cannot exist without the other.

So perhaps Episode IX will be this conclusion that both the empire and the rebellion can actually live together in peace and accept that they are different but nessecary pieces to establish balance in the universe.

These theories about Snoke being the "Prime- Jedi" or the very first Jedi ever might make a lot of sense if they decide to go in that direction and bring Snoke back to life in Episode IX. Not holding my breath though.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #155
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post

"Let the past die."

Hux is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Totally agreed on everything here Gary.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #156
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
I also recently saw it. Eh, I don't know about that movie.

A few things come to mind. 1. The worst part of the movie for me was the Finn/Asian chick stuff. Finn should have died in TFA. His character got worse in this one. The other character (I honestly don't remember her name) was awful. Cringe-worthy - especially when Finn was ready to end himself and she has to throw in the "believe in love" crap. Just dreadful for me.

There was absolutely no reason for the Leia space scene. It was horrible, it looked awful, and made me laugh out loud. She simply could have been injured by the blast and the rest of the story would have been fine (although I was sad to hear Admiral Akbar died).

Canto Bight was way too long and most of it was unnecessary.

I didn't like most of the forced comedy moments. Poe's snark with Hux was.. awkward. I also hated Luke tossing the lightsaber.

That said, there were some really cool moments too. That salt planet was really awesome. Definitely had flashes of Hoth/Empire, but also it was different. I thought the graphics overall were really good.

Not really excited about the upcoming solo movie, but I'll be revved up for episode 9.

One other thought. I don't really watch Marvel/comic movies but this felt more like that than a star wars movie. Does that make sense to anyone else?
re: Finn - I completely agree with the first part of the statement in bold above, but disagree as to the second. I don't think that Finn needed to die in TFA, but DO feel that the character arc of Finn would've been MUCH better had he been allowed to sacrifice himself for the Resistance in TLJ. Basically, his arc in TFA was that of a deserter looking to get away from the First Order, not someone looking to join the Resistance. He only helps at the end as a means to try and help Rey. Fast forward to this movie - Finn starts off trying to desert the Resistance (not because of fear for himself, but instead because he didn't want Rey flying back into a trap, and he's still not fully "in" with the Resistance). As this movie progresses, the goal shifts to be more of a "I'm doing this for the Resistance" kind of thing, leading him to face off against Phasma, his biggest antagonist, and then racing toward a super weapon to try and take it out by ramming it. I feel that it would've been a satisfying end to the character to see the arc move from being centered on himself to being self-sacrificing for the cause of the Resistance, not just Rey.

Quote:
Finn should have died in TFA when he was fighting Kylo Ren. He had no business holding his own versus someone who essentially fought off Luke fucking Skywalker.
Kylo Ren had also taken a blaster shot from Chewie's bowcaster just before that battle (a shot that very purposefully was shown knocking the ever loving hell out of regular stormtroopers on more than one instance before he took the hit). He was fighting heavily wounded...and then beat Finn while basically toying with him. Even with Kylo wounded, Finn didn't last very long against him and much of it was Kylo just trying to toy with and punish him for being a traitor.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:08 AM   #157
greykitkat36

If Finn bangs Rey in Epsiode IX I think I'll be officially done with Star Wars.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #158
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
If Finn bangs Rey in Epsiode IX I think I'll be officially done with Star Wars.

They might kiss, but any banging will happen off screen. I doubt Disney would want two characters shown in bed together. Plus, if any banging happens, it'll be Poe and Rey.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #159
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Rey's gonna end up with... Kylo

Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #160
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Bit of a rant here but in addition to many of the other points raised in this thread about the rest of this trilogy Finn has to be one of worst characters I’ve seen in a movie. Period. He was forced into the story so much so that Kylo Ren and Hux had to have a discussion about a non-clone army of storm troopers to explain how his character arch is even plausible within the first 10 minutes of the TFA. He abandons his other storm trooper friends he seems to care so much about and steals his new friend's jacket because he thinks he's dead. His entire motivation is to get laid once he gets free. Keep in mind Rey is the first human female he sees, literally, with whom he becomes immediately sexually/physically aggressive and touchy. Right off the bat these are not character traits that I found endearing to say the least. He is also really “self aware”(selfish) for a person kidnapped and brainwashed since he was a tiny child. He seems to just brush off a life time of military brain washing and is presented as a "normal guy". He could've been such a better character as a person with long term battled related complex trauma or someone who had committed war crimes and had change of heart or just wasn't so childish. He's comic relief presented as "deep". There were so many missed opportunities with what could've been an interesting character. On top of being an undeveloped waste of time his character is annoyingly self-centered and was on-screen just enough to completely break the immersion factor of these films.

He sucks at everything he’s been trained to be despite being the equivalent of an SS trooper or navy seal , yet somehow has the knowledge to destroy the most powerful fucking thing ever because he was a janitor. Nice. Him being able to fight off Kylo Ren detracted from that character’s impressiveness. (wounded or not Finn has ZERO REAL LIFE COMBAT TIME except for that time he froze and had a meltdown...yet he digs down deep when sex is on the line.) That fight made Rey’s victory against Ren much less impressive. At no point did I think Ren could defeat her after watching this moron hold his own against him. At times during Finn's performance I felt like I was watching space balls as he just about looked into the camera and explained his every move and motivation. His humour was poorly written, his acting sucked and as someone else pointed out, every opportunity to redeem him through true self-sacrifice was missed. "we've got a hearbeat!"

The screen time he takes away from important plot points is irritating (they cut scenes with LUKE SKYWALKER to watch his plan fall apart? Really?) and watching iconic character after iconic character die while this guy gets carried around by a space slug that immediately devours every other thing it touches, including space ships and people firing lasers into its mouth, the way he isn't paralyzed after having his spinal chord cut in half longways by a light saber and watching him cheat death in many other scenes makes these movies hard to watch. At least Han Solo was a somewhat likable self-centered sociopath but we had to watch him be murdered by his son. I hope Finn's fate is worse.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc