These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #581
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 12,464
I’m pretty strongly opposed to nuclear power. These are incredibly complicated and risky devices. They’ve had an OK safety record in the US, but we have absolutely no plan for the waste. Nuclear waste is being stored on site at the plants and some of it requires continuous water flow. A terrorist hits one of those places and the fuel starts melting through its casing and it’s exposed to the world.

The global warming crowd says 10k died from Chernobyl and it’s peanuts compared to fossil fuel deaths. Just don’t buy it, I think there were over a million deaths attributable to Chernobyl
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #582
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I’m pretty strongly opposed to nuclear power. These are incredibly complicated and risky devices. They’ve had an OK safety record in the US, but we have absolutely no plan for the waste. Nuclear waste is being stored on site at the plants and some of it requires continuous water flow. A terrorist hits one of those places and the fuel starts melting through its casing and it’s exposed to the world.

The global warming crowd says 10k died from Chernobyl and it’s peanuts compared to fossil fuel deaths. Just don’t buy it, I think there were over a million deaths attributable to Chernobyl
ok, so...

First, we agree on nuclear power. It should be a last resort. It's possible we could get almost all our power generation with most of the US going solar, with wind mixed in, and battery storage to support. Which would complement the part of your post I put in bold, as it would make a nation totally independent for our energy needs and would allow our military capital to flow back into our economy.

Second, I disagree with you on number of deaths compared to fossil fuel deaths. Here are two articles - 200,000 deaths in US and 9 million worldwide:

[Only registered users can see links.]

[Only registered users can see links.]

Third, our dumbass leader decides climate change is not a national security threat, although the military has said for years it is. I posted this doc trailer before, but everyone needs to see it if you haven't as it's from the military's perspective.

[Only registered users can see links.]

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #583
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
In Tesla news:

One of the many reasons I love this company....what other automaker does this type of fun stuff? Oh that's right, they can't because their cars don't have OTA capabilities....

Can't wait to get mine in about 3-4 months!!

[Only registered users can see links.]

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #584
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
In Tesla news:

One of the many reasons I love this company....what other automaker does this type of fun stuff? Oh that's right, they can't because their cars don't have OTA capabilities....

Can't wait to get mine in about 3-4 months!!

[Only registered users can see links.]



I love it . Are you really getting a model 3 in 3-4 months? What is the waiting list like now?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #585
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I love it . Are you really getting a model 3 in 3-4 months? What is the waiting list like now?
i am I should be getting it in Jan/feb, but because of the bottlenecks in the ramp-up process, it pushed it out a month or two.

I think the last time I saw the list was over 500,000 now. But by the end of 2018, they should be making 10,000 a week, so people wont have to wait as long then....
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #586
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
i am I should be getting it in Jan/feb, but because of the bottlenecks in the ramp-up process, it pushed it out a month or two.

I think the last time I saw the list was over 500,000 now. But by the end of 2018, they should be making 10,000 a week, so people wont have to wait as long then....


I think I'm going to add my name onto the list. I've been thinking about it for a long time now and I think I'm ready to make the step. Do they provide financing options?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #587
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I think I'm going to add my name onto the list. I've been thinking about it for a long time now and I think I'm ready to make the step. Do they provide financing options?
Nice. Do it!

They do. They use a third party and from what I've seen the interest rate is around 3%.....it's 1.49% for Model S and X buyers though....I guess because the Model 3 is newer and Tesla hasn't established a deal with the company they use.....They also take trade ins, but they state on their website that they will give only the lowest value, as they go and resale your car to another party.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #588
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,137
Already some Tesla’s on ebay. It’s a double edged sword seeing the secondary market emerging for these already, but it had to start sometime I suppose

It is likely my first fully electric vehicle will be certified preowned anyhow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #589
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Already some Tesla’s on ebay. It’s a double edged sword seeing the secondary market emerging for these already, but it had to start sometime I suppose

It is likely my first fully electric vehicle will be certified preowned anyhow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah. Yep. People trying to make a buck....

Preowned is fine with an EV because its not like a preowned ICE car....especially for Teslas as they have the best battery chemistry and therefore you could buy one with 100,000 miles and its like new. Plus the motor in it will last 100 years and the brakes don't need as much attention due to the regenerative breaking.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #590
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Nice. Do it!



They do. They use a third party and from what I've seen the interest rate is around 3%.....it's 1.49% for Model S and X buyers though....I guess because the Model 3 is newer and Tesla hasn't established a deal with the company they use.....They also take trade ins, but they state on their website that they will give only the lowest value, as they go and resale your car to another party.


thanks for this info
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #591
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Nice article if you want to keep up with what's going on legally with fighting climate change:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Berman is best known, though, for suing big tobacco in the 1990s. At the end of that fight, he helped negotiate a $206 billion settlement from cigarette makers like Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds, and Brown & Williamson for causing cancer. It remains the largest legal settlement of its kind in history.

But Berman is now working on a lawsuit that could be even bigger: He is suing five of the world’s most powerful oil companies for causing climate change.

When I was researching this topic years ago, I found this site to be very informative and eye opening and some of the info is generalized in the above article. It has articles and documents dating back to 1949. It takes time to read through them all, but if you are interested here ya go. Scroll down a bit and you can look through the titles or sort by year.

[Only registered users can see links.]
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #592
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
The output of all the main sources of thermal electricity generation declined in the first nine months of this year, as hydro, wind and solar boomed and demand fell.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #593
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Here we go. Day 1 of 2018. This is the type of stuff I've read from the Smoke and Fumes website....I highly recommend browsing through it....

Trump thinks we need some "global warming" since the NE is so cold....me thinks he's an uneducated man holding a high official job, creating a worse future for humanity each day he's president.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I am to talk to you about energy in the future. I will start by telling you why I believe that the energy resources of the past must be supplemented. First of all, these energy resources will run short as we use more and more of the fossil fuels. But I would [...] like to mention another reason why we probably have to look for additional fuel supplies. And this, strangely, is the question of contaminating the atmosphere. [....] Whenever you burn conventional fuel, you create carbon dioxide. [....] The carbon dioxide is invisible, it is transparent, you can’t smell it, it is not dangerous to health, so why should one worry about it?

Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth. Its presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect [....] It has been calculated that a temperature rise corresponding to a 10 per cent increase in carbon dioxide will be sufficient to melt the icecap and submerge New York. All the coastal cities would be covered, and since a considerable percentage of the human race lives in coastal regions, I think that this chemical contamination is more serious than most people tend to believe.
Quote:
Dunlop, testifying now as the Chairman of the Board of the American Petroleum Institute, posed the question, “tomorrow’s car: electric or gasoline powered?” His preferred answer was the latter:

We in the petroleum industry are convinced that by the time a practical electric car can be mass-produced and marketed, it will not enjoy any meaningful advantage from an air pollution standpoint. Emissions from internal-combustion engines will have long since been controlled.
hmm......oops, Dunlop got that wrong.......
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #594
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Thank goodness! Nice to know there are still smart people running critical agencies.....

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Importantly, FERC’s order notes that DOE failed to provide evidence to back Perry’s claims that retiring coal and nuclear plants represented an existential threat to grid reliability and “resilience,” one it used the justify its demand for FERC to act outside of its usual channels to make changes within a matter of months.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #595
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
BIG news:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
New York City sued five major oil companies, claiming they have contributed to global warming, on the same day officials announced they will sell off billions in fossil fuel investments from the city's pension funds.
Quote:
De Blasio and Comptroller Scott Stringer said they intend to divest the city's five pension funds of roughly $5 billion in fossil fuel investments out of its total of $189 billion. They say the divestment is the largest of any municipality in the U.S. to date.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:15 AM   #596
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Here we go. Day 1 of 2018. This is the type of stuff I've read from the Smoke and Fumes website....I highly recommend browsing through it....

Trump thinks we need some "global warming" since the NE is so cold....me thinks he's an uneducated man holding a high official job, creating a worse future for humanity each day he's president.

[Only registered users can see links.]





hmm......oops, Dunlop got that wrong.......


except later in 1998 Teller refuted everything he said about climate change in the Oregon petition.

"However, Teller, in his later years, would come to deride much of what he saw as increasingly common exaggerations and general doomsdayism on the matter of climate change. Thus, he became one of the most prestigious signers[83] of the Oregon Petition. The petition, drafted in 1998, states, in part: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate"

He was also the same guy who helped invent the Hydrogen bomb which is way more deadly to mankind than climate change. AND he was completely kicked out of the scientific community because he testified against Oppenheimer in the 50s.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #597
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
except later in 1998 Teller refuted everything he said about climate change in the Oregon petition.

"However, Teller, in his later years, would come to deride much of what he saw as increasingly common exaggerations and general doomsdayism on the matter of climate change. Thus, he became one of the most prestigious signers[83] of the Oregon Petition. The petition, drafted in 1998, states, in part: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate"

He was also the same guy who helped invent the Hydrogen bomb which is way more deadly to mankind than climate change. AND he was completely kicked out of the scientific community because he testified against Oppenheimer in the 50s.
ok, but...

Quote:
After the petition appeared, the National Academy of Sciences said in a 1998 news release that "The NAS Council would like to make it clear that this petition has nothing to do with the National Academy of Sciences and that the manuscript was not published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences or in any other peer-reviewed journal."[31] It also said "The petition does not reflect the conclusions of expert reports of the Academy." The NAS further noted that its own prior published study had shown that "even given the considerable uncertainties in our knowledge of the relevant phenomena, greenhouse warming poses a potential threat sufficient to merit prompt responses. Investment in mitigation measures acts as insurance protection against the great uncertainties and the possibility of dramatic surprises."[31]
can't really compare the Hydrogen bomb to climate change, as they both do the same thing, but at different time scales.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #598
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
Great piece by Bill McKibben on what New York just did:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
...so when city comptroller Scott Stringer said divestment was necessary to protect the retirement savings of city workers, he implied the obvious: the go-along investors thinking that Exxon is still a blue-chip aren’t doing their homework.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #599
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,725
YES. It's almost time!!

[Only registered users can see links.]
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08528 seconds with 16 queries