These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #4981
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Marlins need a full, deliberate rebuild. I’m talking a “won’t be competitive until 2021,” rebuild. I’m on board.
I don’t get it. Rebuild with the hopes of a best-case scenario where they end up with a young core as good as Stanton, Yelich, Gordon, Ozuna, and Realmuto?? They had that as of a couple days ago. Why not just add a couple of pitchers to that core and have a legit team right now?

I’d be really frustrated if I was a Marlins fan.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #4982
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Jeter isn't even bothering going to the Winter Meetings? It's like 4 hours from Miami
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #4983
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Marlins need a full, deliberate rebuild. I’m talking a “won’t be competitive until 2021,” rebuild. I’m on board.
This seems to be Jeters plan. He’s clearly not trying to win now. They’re even shopping Castro already and they just got him. We’ll see how it work out. I always thought that Jeter has too much going on to focus on building a team, but well see
Old 12-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #4984
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I don’t get it. Rebuild with the hopes of a best-case scenario where they end up with a young core as good as Stanton, Yelich, Gordon, Ozuna, and Realmuto?? They had that as of a couple days ago. Why not just add a couple of pitchers to that core and have a legit team right now?

I’d be disappointed that the Mets didn’t make a phone call to get Stanton. Granted he had a no trade and didn’t want to go there...but this is the type of move The Mets need to make that they never do.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #4985
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I’d be disappointed that the Mets didn’t make a phone call to get Stanton. Granted he had a no trade and didn’t want to go there...but this is the type of move The Mets need to make that they never do.
Meh. Believe me, I'm upset with the Mets approach in general (they'll probably add a mediocre player who can play 1B and/or OF, and a middle reliever), but it's hard to fault any team for not wanting to take on that ENORMOUS contract. The Yankees are one of only a few teams can absorb that. Plus, the Marlins would obviously have a strong preference against trading him within the division. And, as you say, he didn't want to go there anyway. But the Mets ownership/management needs to start acting like a big market team.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #4986
NiCK (Crush)

Happy for Yankees fans.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #4987
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
This seems to be Jeters plan. He’s clearly not trying to win now. They’re even shopping Castro already and they just got him. We’ll see how it work out. I always thought that Jeter has too much going on to focus on building a team, but well see
Man, I'm having a hard time seeing any "plan" here. Obviously they're gutting payroll and clearing house - but to what end?

I'll be shocked if Castro ever plays a game in Miami. He was traded by the Cubs the year before they won the title (after being a core of the rebuild for a while), gets to the ALCS in new york and now is traded as they get the MVP. Hopefully he lands on his feet in a competitive place. He was probably about to lose his job in New York anyway with Torres coming up.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #4988
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:

How do they go after two pitchers without upping payroll? They’ve got nothing to trade, as well. They need to reset. Jose and Jeffrey Loria fucked us.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #4989
K270
Kan Pai

Just saw this article on the Yahoo news wire. I think its interesting:

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 12-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #4990
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Man, I'm having a hard time seeing any "plan" here. Obviously they're gutting payroll and clearing house - but to what end?

I'll be shocked if Castro ever plays a game in Miami. He was traded by the Cubs the year before they won the title (after being a core of the rebuild for a while), gets to the ALCS in new york and now is traded as they get the MVP. Hopefully he lands on his feet in a competitive place. He was probably about to lose his job in New York anyway with Torres coming up.
The plan is to get rid of every big contract and gut the entire team, start from scratch. Get as many prospects back as you can and develop them. It’s the new model. All the teams that won the World Series the last few years did exactly that..they built the team from the ground up with their farm system and then add veterans that fit once the Core in place. Yanks did exactly the same thing, they just have more money to keep some of the expensive contracts longer.

And yeah Castro had no future in NY. They’re confident Gleyber Torres is the guy and if he’s not they’ll find someone cheaper.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #4991
greykitkat36

Quote:
Meh. Believe me, I'm upset with the Mets approach in general (they'll probably add a mediocre player who can play 1B and/or OF, and a middle reliever), but it's hard to fault any team for not wanting to take on that ENORMOUS contract. The Yankees are one of only a few teams can absorb that. Plus, the Marlins would obviously have a strong preference against trading him within the division. And, as you say, he didn't want to go there anyway. But the Mets ownership/management needs to start acting like a big market team.
Well yeah, we all know Stanton wouldn’t have made it to the Mets for many reasons. But you hit the nail on the head, they are a New York team that spends like a small market team. Their payroll can and should be much higher than it is.

Conforto is coming off injury, Wright probably won’t play again, darnaud is not proven, etc. aside from Cespedes, There’s not a whole lot in that lineup that scares you. They need at least one more big bat at the minimum. They added a reliever today, I think their bullpen can get by and their starting pitching when healthy is at the top of the league. But the lineup is really not very exciting at all. These pitchers need some run support.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #4992
NiCK (Crush)

Decided to hit the tour opener this year at The Woodlands and it turns out the Tribe is in Houston that weekend, so I'll be finally checking off Minute Maid Park. Pumped.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #4993
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Decided to hit the tour opener this year at The Woodlands and it turns out the Tribe is in Houston that weekend, so I'll be finally checking off Minute Maid Park. Pumped.
Legit
Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #4994
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Nice. Just out of curiosity, would you not check out another park if the Indians weren't playing there?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #4995
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Nice. Just out of curiosity, would you not check out another park if the Indians weren't playing there?
No no, I definitely would (and have before) - but I do always try to add stadiums and see the Tribe when possible.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #4996
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

I know what you mean, Nick.

Obviously here in Denver I get the Cubs once a year (the first game this spring is 4/20)

But I'm looking at adding a new road venue this year. Thinking about Kansas City in August.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #4997
Mitch

Jason, what do you think of the Yelich trade??
Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #4998
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Jason, what do you think of the Yelich trade??

He would’ve bitched and cried at every step of the rebuild, so I’m glad they maximized his trade value and got Who they got for him. He’s also a Tom Brady fan so I wanted him gone, haha

I’m all in on a complete rebuild so I don’t mind getting rid of everyone and starting from scratch again.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #4999
Mitch

I hear ya (and Lol on the Brady thing).... It just seems like they maybe rushed themselves into thinking it was something they HAD to do now, which it wasn't. Scouts seem mixed on whether Brinson will hit enough, and he was the big get. It just seems like they could have done better, but who knows.

What's the over/under on Marlins wins for this year, around 57??
Old 01-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #5000
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

I don't think the Marlins got true value for Yelich, Ozuna or Stanton.

Of course two of those trades went to Cubs rivals

Brewers should be a tough team next year.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc