Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
dude is so in your head though man
Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #1562
TRDW
2005 Champions of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Not even paying rent either. And drinking all your beer.
Not even mad. Terrible terrible person
Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #1563
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Where is mersh's god damn review?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #1564
JustinC

Not sure but I see he was not impressed with Dave's vocals on FotD.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #1565
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I can see that. I like that dave didn't do a straight cover, but I'm also willing to believe he's never actually heard the song before. #CaseyJones

That said, and it probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I hope dave is injesting Jerry's lyrics as he gets older (as he indicated in the rs thing). I find as I get older Jerry's lyrics appeal to me a hell of a lot more, and I hope dave can find some inspiration in americana.

Also, I still love Ryan Adams response in that same article.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #1566
JWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Yeah, Hornsby in particular was the best pure vocalist up there, and was way underused. Waaaaaay too much torturous Phil singing (but I've said that enough, I know). Even Bob singing the Jerry songs does nothing for me.
Should've used Chris Robinson, his few guest spots with Phil Lesh & Friends and Furthur shows were pretty great. Plus, the guy would give anything to have been apart of the Dead, would've made it special.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #1567
Mitch

Quote:
That said, and it probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I hope dave is injesting Jerry's lyrics as he gets older (as he indicated in the rs thing). I find as I get older Jerry's lyrics appeal to me a hell of a lot more, and I hope dave can find some inspiration in americana.
You mean Robert Hunter's lyrics, motherfucker
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #1568
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
You mean Robert Hunter's lyrics, motherfucker
Correct. I just mean jerry songs, but mentally I always do think jerry wrote those lyrics. I don't know why, but I think it is because, in the context of the dead I think of them as 'Jerry songs.'

Though, you could help me with this as it's something I've never really looked into. Obviously the lightening storm story about Terrapin Station being written is famous, but how did they normally work together? As far as writing songs go. Lyrics first? Music first? No pattern?

Also, I always thought of garcia & hunter as partners and didn't even realize that Weir & Hunter wrote together until I really started liking jackstraw and thought the lyrics seemed like the 'garcia song' lyrics I normally liked. Looked into and realized he wrote all those too.

Seems like he should get more credit.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #1569
Crush87

Quote:
Correct. I just mean jerry songs, but mentally I always do think jerry wrote those lyrics. I don't know why, but I think it is because, in the context of the dead I think of them as 'Jerry songs.'

Though, you could help me with this as it's something I've never really looked into. Obviously the lightening storm story about Terrapin Station being written is famous, but how did they normally work together? As far as writing songs go. Lyrics first? Music first? No pattern?

Also, I always thought of garcia & hunter as partners and didn't even realize that Weir & Hunter wrote together until I really started liking jackstraw and thought the lyrics seemed like the 'garcia song' lyrics I normally liked. Looked into and realized he wrote all those too.

Seems like he should get more credit.
Normally - lyrics came first. Hunter was extremely prolific and conversely Jerry hated to compose. After deciding on something they would work on phrasing together and making things fit.

Here's a nice account from Hunter of the early days:

“I’d be sitting upstairs banging on my typewriter, picking up my guitar, singin’ something, then going back to the typewriter. Jerry would be downstairs practicing guitar, working things out. You could hear fine through the floors there, and by the time I’d come down with a sheet and slap it down in front of him, Jerry already knew how they should go! He probably had to suffer through my incorrect way of doing them.”

And MG on the subject:
“Hunter was up 24 hours a day, chain-smoking, and he’d come down in the morning and he’d have a stack of songs. ‘Wow, Hunter, these are fantastic.’ ‘Do you really think so?’ And he’d challenge Jerry to sit down right then and write a tune for it; or he might have already worked out some chord changes for it and Jerry would say, ‘Oh no, man, that’s not the way it should be; it should be like this.’ But to see Hunter walk out of his room in the morning with a stack of freshly minted tunes was pretty exciting. It was just incredible how fast those tunes fell together once they got on them.”
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #1570
greykitkat36

Playing wise, much was to be desired from the shows, but the whole aura and the respect and the celebration was awesome, at least watching on the webcast and I'm sure even better being there. I'm excited for Phish tour after hearing how well Trey was playing though.

Setlist wise too, there were a lot of songs I was dissapointed didn't get played, but what can you do with only 5 shows. No Dire Wolf, Jack-A-Roe etc. and sucks that it sounded like they barely rehearsed as a band for shows given all the hype and everything. A lot of Futhur shows and Phil and Friends shows sound much better and closer to authentic than these did, but it was still REALLY cool to see all the members back together again interacting.

The fact Phil and Bob sang so much is pretty mindboggling. I get that they are original members, but it just hurts the performance too much.

Also the idea that these shows were the "last time ever" the band would play together. There was an article with Kreutzmann where he said he wished they did something for the East Coast fans. That combined with all the John Matyer rumours circling, I wouldn't be surprised to see another round of GD50 shows in the Fall on the East Coast with Mayer taking Trey's place. Would be a HUGE slap in the face to everyone who went to chicago thinking this was the last time, and also a slap to Trey in a way as well, so I'm not sure what the whole John Mayer stuff is, maybe he just wanted to guest with them and has no intention of a tour or anything, but this makes things interesting.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #1571
Mitch

Robert Hunter is an amazing lyricist and deserves so much credit as a "band member." Man, was Jerry fortunate to fall in with that guy in the '60's. Dude has written countless timeless americana classics.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #1572
TRDW
2005 Champions of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Playing wise, much was to be desired from the shows, but the whole aura and the respect and the celebration was awesome, at least watching on the webcast and I'm sure even better being there. I'm excited for Phish tour after hearing how well Trey was playing though.

This was the whole point of the show. If you expected it to be Cornell 77 you're stupid. But it was a huge event that brought the essence of the Dead community together. I wasn't there but from everyone I've talked to it was it was a huge success. I got to couch tour with my dad and a bunch of random people for it and had a blast. They made it a big event to celebrate 50 years of a great band and brought together the band and the community for the first time in a while.

Quote:
Setlist wise too, there were a lot of songs I was dissapointed didn't get played, but what can you do with only 5 shows. No Dire Wolf, Jack-A-Roe etc. and sucks that it sounded like they barely rehearsed as a band for shows given all the hype and everything. A lot of Futhur shows and Phil and Friends shows sound much better and closer to authentic than these did, but it was still REALLY cool to see all the members back together again interacting.
Those 2 plus Deep Ellum are some of my favorite songs the Dead do and the 3 I wish they played the most. Overall though I thought they did a great job of covering a lot of stuff
Quote:
The fact Phil and Bob sang so much is pretty mindboggling. I get that they are original members, but it just hurts the performance too much.
they were always going to but yea. Phil especially, Phil on eyes especially...woof
Quote:
Also the idea that these shows were the "last time ever" the band would play together. There was an article with Kreutzmann where he said he wished they did something for the East Coast fans. That combined with all the John Matyer rumours circling, I wouldn't be surprised to see another round of GD50 shows in the Fall on the East Coast with Mayer taking Trey's place. Would be a HUGE slap in the face to everyone who went to chicago thinking this was the last time, and also a slap to Trey in a way as well, so I'm not sure what the whole John Mayer stuff is, maybe he just wanted to guest with them and has no intention of a tour or anything, but this makes things interesting.
See I really really disagree with this. Like I said above this was always about the bigness of the event. I can't imagine someone being pissed they went to this if the Dead kept touring. It was an amazing scene out there. Why would you not want to hear more of your favorite/great band? What if these shows rejuvenated them? There's no way I would be pissed that they wanted to keep playing. I'd love to see a tour with John Mayer with the band all reunited now, or anyone. If they came to the East Coast I'd check them out for sure. Being pissed about that would be so petty
Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #1573
Mitch

I doubt there's a single Deadhead in the world who expected Fare Thee Well to be anything even remotely close to Cornell '77.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #1574
TRDW
2005 Champions of Europe

Quote:
I doubt there's a single Deadhead in the world who expected Fare Thee Well to be anything even remotely close to Cornell '77.
That was hyperbole to say I don't think the musical expectations were too high and for what they were a lot of the stuff exceeded my expectations. Phil's singing was obviously not great, but I thought N1 especially Trey was amazing and the band sounded great. Bob singing doesn't bother me as much. I thought it was a great great weekend
Old 07-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #1575
Mitch

This is great, for anyone who hasn't seen it. Musicians from all around the world playing Ripple. Gave me goosebumps.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #1576
Mitch

Where's the Dave's 15 announcement? The typical release schedule would have it shipping in about 3 weeks from now.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #1577
JustinC

Dave's Pick Vol 15 : 4/22/78

[Only registered users can see links.]
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #1578
Mitch

April '78 is a hot month

Great Wharf Rat in this show
Old 07-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #1579
torres

Got it. Thanks for the heads up.
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #1580
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Looking forward to DaP 15.

Really sorry that I missed all of the excitement around the Fare Thee Well shows, been in a dark boarding period as of late. Hopefully I'll get another chance when they tour with Mayer.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc