These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #561
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
'Ladies & Gentlmen...' =

edit: would this be considered Primal Dead?
I'd say April '71 is about the tail end of what's considered "primal dead" era. TC is no longer in the band (although he actually guests on some tunes here), Pig of course still is, and the Godchauxs hadn't joined yet. Still a lot of that "primal Dead" sound throughout, but '71 introduced a lot of new songs in addition to the Workingman's/American Beauty songs, which began to take them in a newer direction. That, and then the Godchauxs joining later in '71, was the end of primal dead. This run of shows is kinda right in the wheelhouse of a great crossroads for them.

And yeah the sound quality is great, especially for a recording from 1971. We're so fortunate that they had the smarts to multi-track record great shows like this way back then.

Glad you're digging it. It's definitely a "desert island" type release for me.
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #562
Crush87

Has the RSD release been discussed yet? I haven't been around much. Apologies if this has been done already:

GRATEFUL DEAD
4/18/70
Family Dog at the Great Highway
San Francisco, CA
180g 2LP - 7500 copies

Record 1
Side A
01 I Know You Rider
02 Don't Ease Me In
03 Silver Threads And Golden Needles
04 Friend Of The Devil
05 Deep Elem Blues

Side B
01 Wake Up Little Susie
02 Candyman
03 Cumberland Blues
04 New Speedway Boogie

Record 2
Side A
01 Me And My Uncle
02 Mama Tried
03 Katie Mae

Side B
01 Ain't It Crazy (The Rub)
02 Roberta
03 Bring Me My Shotgun
04 The Mighty Flood
05 Black Snake

Quote:
Lacquers cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman
Never-before-heard complete 80 minute acoustic set
Last 6 tracks are Pigpen solo acoustic guitar and vocal
Tapes recently discovered by Mountain Girl in Jerry's personal collection
Incognito Grateful Dead show originally billed as Mickey Hart and His Heartbeats and Bobby Ace and His Cards from the Bottom of the Deck
Super cool to get a never before heard show from Jerry's collection. '70 is one of my favorite years, and to have Pigpen solo guitar on this is incredible. Feb 70 Fillmore East comes to mind but I can't think of much else in the way of live Pig solo guitar. When the band met Pig he played mostly guitar, organ was sort of forced on him, so this is a rare glimpse into the early days.

I have a wedding to attend on Black Friday and don't know if I'll be able to get this myself so if you see an extra grab it!
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #563
Mitch

Hey Frank.

Yeah, that's already out and around on CD/FLAC. Solo acoustic Pig is great of course. I listened to some of it last night, though, and the sound quality is pretty shitty.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #564
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

After my initial complete listen of the April '71 compilation...

This is most DEFINITELY a deserted-island must-have.

Also, I'm not familiar enough to know the different eras in detail when it comes to personnel, but this release makes me think that Kreutzmann is a better talent than Mickey is... Perhaps I just prefer this style more, but he sounds WAY locked in on all of these tracks.

And I do recognize the 'perfect blending' of material between the older stuff I've heard on the Fillmore '69 release and the more often-played later tunes seen on the Europe '72 release... can't ask for much more. I think I favor the 'Primal' stuff more, even the way they play the 'newer' songs of the time is different from the way they developed them in later years, which I prefer. This shit is gold.
drummerkrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #565
Mitch

This is why you have to listen to me, man

And yeah, I totally agree about Billy. I've said it elsewhere earlier in this thread, but I don't think it's a coincidence that he was the only drummer during what is generally my favorite era of band ('71-73), and his playing is certainly a reason the Europe '72 tour was so special.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #566
drummerkrf

I didn't see this on dead.net yet, but apparently this was just announced...

6 CD box featuring the complete performances from 09/05/89 Hartford and 09/06/89 Nassau Coliseum.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #567
Crush87

Earliest known JGB footage surfaces

4/2/76
[Only registered users can see links.]

The Capitol has been the source of Dead/Jerry footage in the past. Seems film was being shot there as early as '75. Fingers crossed 4/5/75 LOM surfaces one day...

The 3/17/78 Capitol that surfaced a few months ago for those that missed it: [Only registered users can see links.]

Last edited by Crush87; 11-23-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #568
drummerkrf

So apparently you're supposed to look at this 'Live Acoustic' cover with 3-D glasses on...
Old 12-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #569
Crush87

My One From the Vault vinyl came in the mail today. Looking forward to that. The original release is one of the best mixed Dead releases out there. Maybe THE best. Interested to hear how the remaster came out.

Anyone listen to Dave Picks 8 yet? Listened a bit today. The first ever Dead matrix release? Originally, Jeffrey Norman intended only to use the AUD as a patch but after downloading the matrix online he decided he could create something better and actually left the two sources slightly out of sync to create the sonics he wanted.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #570
torres

I know nothing about the Dead but downloaded their live Europe album after reading through this thread.

I've also browsed a bunch of their shows on YouTube. I'm addicted to Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis on sax.
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #571
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres View Post
I know nothing about the Dead but downloaded their live Europe album after reading through this thread. I've also browsed a bunch of their shows on YouTube. I'm addicted to Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis on sax.

Welcome. It's a fun ride.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #572
torres

Was browsing around to see if that show was released, but no luck. It's amazing how Marsalis complements the rest of the band. Was that his only guest appearance?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #573
Crush87

Quote:
Was browsing around to see if that show was released, but no luck. It's amazing how Marsalis complements the rest of the band. Was that his only guest appearance?
3/29/90 - Eyes released on Without A Net
12/31/90
9/10/91
12/10/93
12/16/94
Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #574
Mitch

Quote:
Like Frank said, that Eyes with Branford is on Without a Net, which is a great taste of '89-'90 era Dead.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #575
torres

I'll look for it now! Thanks.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #576
torres

This Eyes of the World with Marsalis is life changing.

Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but I've lost count how many times I've played it. What a fuckin' jam.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #577
drummerkrf

Quote:
This Eyes of the World with Marsalis is life changing.

Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but I've lost count how many times I've played it. What a fuckin' jam.

This sounds like the last 3+ months of my posts in here

Hell yeah brother!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #578
torres

So what's the best time period to delve into? I'm liking the late 80's early 90's sound so far. I've read around that the band found new life around this time period and were a little more energetic?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #579
drummerkrf

Well I'm quite young in my education with these guys as well, but quickly getting heavy into it.

The funny thing is that I haven't even touched the late 80s - 90s era as of yet.

I've been stuck with a lot of the early 70s era and have been working my way up through the great 77-78 years. I intend to jump into the era you are referring to here soon, my next purchase will be one of the two, 'Without A Net' or 'Spring 90'. Opposite your experience so far, my launch pad was the Europe 72 release, for the most part.

If you like the sax sound, from what I can tell so far, you might like Jerry Garcia's side project called 'Legion of Mary'. GarciaLive Volume 3 was released here recently which features a show from 74(?) I think... can't remember off the top of my head. But these were some funky guys, lots of sax.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #580
Mitch

Quote:
So what's the best time period to delve into? I'm liking the late 80's early 90's sound so far. I've read around that the band found new life around this time period and were a little more energetic?
The Dead was at their best, by far, in the 70's (although some would even argue late 60's). '89-'90 was the best period post-'78, IMO. Don't waste your time listening to anything later than September '91. Like I said though, 70's Dead is really where it's at. And yeah, Europe '72 is a great place to start (and the newer Volume 2). If you back-read a few months here, you'll see all my recommendations for drummer, so I'd of course recommend the same stuff for you. Definitely report back while you're listening, and don't be shy with the questions

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc