Vincent
Theologian

Good one.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #22
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I drink liquor, but mine also only involves only 1 ingredient.
Like a fucking man.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #23
gweeps

I don't often eat out, so when I tip it's usually delivery guys. 15% is the minimum.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #24
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Like a fucking man.
Exactly. Mixers are for pussies.
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #25
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I don't often eat out, so when I tip it's usually delivery guys. 15% is the minimum.
I never do a percentage for delivery guys. We give them $5. And our orders are usually over $50, fuck now I feel bad, have I been under-tipping the pizza guy for years?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #26
mja271

Nah I do $5 for delivery guys too
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #27
Mitch

yeah I think that's the norm
Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #28
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I use my wallet as my customer review and I do not go out of my way to tip. My standard, I suppose, is 20%. If it was shitty service, closer to 15%. If it was unbelievably shitty, 10% or nothing. 20% for the bartender and the delivery guy. Nothing for the barista at the coffee shop.

Twice in the last year I have left no tip. Once in Venice Beach, where we dined and dashed (for the first and hopefully only time ever) but not before spending an hour AFTER FINISHING trying to flag her down for the check. She came near us on a few occasions and skipped over our table. Made eye contact with me more than twice as I made it clear we were finished. Sent the bus boy after her twice. At 1.5 hours AFTER taking my last bite and finishing my drink, we decided enough was enough. I guess she really didn't want my money. Another time on my girlfriend's birthday I took her to a really nice spot she has always wanted to go. The waitress was rude, unhelpful, brought the wrong entree, huffed and puffed about having to take it back, and promptly ignored us as soon as our food came. We actually had to take the check up to the front and ask somebody to take care of it.

Until we do away with tipping altogether, I plan to use it as it was originally intended - a service barometer.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #29
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
yeah I think that's the norm
Remember how I mentioned severe tipping anxiety before? Well, I have previously deep googled tipping pizza guys and NO, that is not the norm. 20% is expected. And after reading all the responses I actually feel that pizza guys probably deserve the 20% more than servers. And people, more often then not, toss them like $1. These guys get paid shit, put themselves in danger and most importantly put a lot of wear and tear on their cars. The car thing is where it gets you. Gas has come down but is still pretty expensive, and these dudes don't usually have the most reliable / economic cars. Anyway, this shocked me.

What I will say is my biggest pet peeve is when I get take out and that tipping line is there! I draw the line. I know you have side work that I am supposedly taking you away from, but still, no way I am tipping on take out. Never. Never ever, ever. Is what I tell myself in the car. until I look at that line. Fuck that line. What do I do? Leave it blank? Do the 0 with the line through it (a true pro cocksucker dad move. not only am I NOT tipping you, but I am also questioning your moral integrity worker person). Ahh fuck it, you get a couple bucks. Should have just had it delivered.

I'm with jayes. I never tip on coffee. I know you get paid $13 an hour and spend all your money on cosmos and shoes. I'd rather tip the guy at mcdonalds. I drink black coffee. It literally doesn't get easier than that.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #30
mja271

All I can say is I'm glad I don't share you're anxiety over this Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #31
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Agreed about take-out. Never tipped for take-out, never will.

Though here's my take on tipping for Breakfast; The wait staff have to work, it's not their fault that breakfast is the cheapest meal of the day, so I'm sure when they see their schedule and they have to work in the morning they go in knowing their tips are going to suck because meal totals are half of what they are for lunch or dinner. So I always tip with the mind-set that I'm paying for a dinner or lunch when I'm having breakfast. I never look down, take out my phone and calculate a percentage. Let's be honest, if you have the money to go out to a restaurant, a few extra bucks isn't going to break the bank nor should it be an internal struggle and conflict (that's not directed at you Jack).

Poor service should definitely be reflected in your tip, but I've also had a few occasions where I've received slightly better than mediocre service and I've still tipped well based on various circumstances. Sometimes wait-staff are dealing with large parties, or focusing heavily on an elderly couple and their service slightly suffers because they can only stretch themselves so thin, ya know? Sometimes I will take those things into account if my service isn't the absolute best. But again, shitty service should get a shitty tip.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #32
Matthew Stafford
TDCya

Im kind of an extremist on both sides. Good service i'll tip more than 20%, but bad service I'll almost always go under the norm. Now, if I can tell the server is just having a hard day/upset/ect... then that's one thing, but rude service/bad service/slow service/ doesn't get any love from me.
Matthew Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #33
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I'll usually tip $1 for take-out, I remember working at Ruby Tuesday back in the day and being put on the 'take out' shift, you'd make jack shit and $1 felt like gold.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #34
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

I don't eat out very often anymore, but I tip well. Typically 25-30% and once or twice a year I'll "pay it forward" and leave a mega tip.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #35
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Though here's my take on tipping for Breakfast; The wait staff have to work, it's not their fault that breakfast is the cheapest meal of the day, so I'm sure when they see their schedule and they have to work in the morning they go in knowing their tips are going to suck because meal totals are half of what they are for lunch or dinner. So I always tip with the mind-set that I'm paying for a dinner or lunch when I'm having breakfast.
The factor you're missing, though, is that breakfast generally turns over faster.

So if you have a busy place, you can move a lot more tables through.

I'm not saying tip less, but don't feel quite as bad. Depending where you go, it's possible breakfast is the best shift. (Certainly brunch in a hipster neighborhood can pull this off.)

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Agreed about take-out. Never tipped for take-out, never will.

Though here's my take on tipping for Breakfast; The wait staff have to work, it's not their fault that breakfast is the cheapest meal of the day, so I'm sure when they see their schedule and they have to work in the morning they go in knowing their tips are going to suck because meal totals are half of what they are for lunch or dinner. So I always tip with the mind-set that I'm paying for a dinner or lunch when I'm having breakfast. I never look down, take out my phone and calculate a percentage. Let's be honest, if you have the money to go out to a restaurant, a few extra bucks isn't going to break the bank nor should it be an internal struggle and conflict (that's not directed at you Jack).

Poor service should definitely be reflected in your tip, but I've also had a few occasions where I've received slightly better than mediocre service and I've still tipped well based on various circumstances. Sometimes wait-staff are dealing with large parties, or focusing heavily on an elderly couple and their service slightly suffers because they can only stretch themselves so thin, ya know? Sometimes I will take those things into account if my service isn't the absolute best. But again, shitty service should get a shitty tip.
Totally agreed, Brandon. Especially on the breakfast part. I always think the same thing. For any bill under $20 I never leave less than $4, and generally I leave $5. I think calculating a "percentage" tip on a cheap meal is the douchiest of all douchey moves to your waiter.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #37
Mitch

Regarding takout, my friends own a restaurant, and she told me that it was actually more work for the staff there to box everything up, etc, than it is to just plate it and bring to a table. I had never thought of it like that before, so I usually give $5 on takeout orders. (I'm talking about from a restaurant, not just picking up a pie at a pizza place).
Old 11-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #38
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
5 dollars on takeout? Man I don't know about that. But I never considered the boxing to be more work than the constant work of having to deal with a customer at a table.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #39
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I just placed a chinese delivery order here at the office for 9 people. I think the total came to $41 and we collected $59. That guy's going to have his day made.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #40
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc