Tim stay & Butch stay gone? 59 55.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #81
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Who added the poll?
whoever it was doesn't understand the unspoken rule that every poll must be public for humiliation purposes.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #82
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I think it would be interesting to see Butch back in for awhile, but it's nothing I feel too passionately about
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #83
AndyB
Fred sounds kind of effeminate

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Butch join for the fall tour, just to see how they'd sound with all of them for a few shows.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #84
greykitkat36

Lineup is perfectly fine the way it is and I wouldnt want to see anyone leave...add Butch back maybe, I miss him a lot on some songs, but the way it is now is great imo.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #85
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post

I agree, I would like Dave to go back to playing the guitar and coming up with unique riffs, and couple that with good lyrics and this is a huge move for me.

I don't want Tim gone by any means and RR doesn't bother me much either so if he leaves or goes it won't bother me. I enjoy the lineup the way it is knowing that that it will never be the original 5 ever again.
Off topic, but I hear the criticism often, how Tim being around has eliminated Dave's creativity on guitar, and how Tim being able to do riffs has drawn him away from basing his songs on "unique riffs." Maybe that's true, maybe not, but I don't feel like the majority of this band's songs have been based on "unique riffs" since the mid-90's. Since then, the focus has seemed to be on band interplay.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #86
FiddySpence
TDCya

yeah tim has nothing do with dave not coming up with as many unique riffs as he has in the past.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #87
Dkrogh
mmmm... BEER.

Something I'm surprised that no one has brought up is that alot of the issues with hearing Tim over Dave etc has to do with how a show is mixed. If the guys at the board were to turn Dave up and lower Tim would some of you still be saying what you are saying?

You may be wondering, is that even possible? I will say yes it is, Mayer's crew does it pretty well I think especially when John picks up the accoustic and still has backup fills by David Ryan Harris and Robbie McIntyre on electrics. But comparing Mayer and his band to DMB cannot be directly compared I know this but just comparing on how things are mixed between lead guitar (Dave, Mayer) and fills (which is what Tim, DRH & McIntyre are)

*I have to say though the guys running the Front of House are some of the nicest anywhere and I really like that fact when security is a bitch and you're trying to tape.

Save money on your printing (business cards, post cards etc.) http://www.ineedtoprint.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsera View Post
That's the smartest thing you've said on this board in months.
DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=674
Dkrogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #88
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy'sTV View Post
Of course I'm going to count "new" songs. Especially considering Break for It and Black Jack were "written" prior to Tim being w/ the band. So those two Busted Stuff, he doesn't do the bridge to Stay anymore, and I'm sure there are others. But the real thing is that Tim mirrors Dave's acoustic parts in most songs so even when Dave is playing in a lot of cases he's overpowered.

Oh and BTW about Butch - I will never understand the love for ADSR on this board. It's incredible. The song is terrible. It kills the crowd completely.....and I don't like listening to it either....
Black Jack is should have nothing to do with Dave. he sinks the entire idea. musically, sans dave, it's a pretty cool idea, but add in the lyrical and vocal atrocities, and its a total waste.

anyway, i'm done with this whole discussion, i just wanted to make sure to call out dave for Black Jack.

oh... just one more thing...like I said before about Boyd, If dave starts writing creative riffs and songs again, I'd love to hear his guitar jacked in the mix. I don't have a problem with what i've heard over the last few tours in terms of dave's guitar. when it's a key part of the song, I hear it just fine. If you're asking for new songs featuring his trademark style, i agree with you, and i'm sure many other pro-tim people would as well. he's been a lazy songwriter for some time now.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #89
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkrogh View Post
Something I'm surprised that no one has brought up is that alot of the issues with hearing Tim over Dave etc has to do with how a show is mixed. If the guys at the board were to turn Dave up and lower Tim would some of you still be saying what you are saying?

You may be wondering, is that even possible? I will say yes it is, Mayer's crew does it pretty well I think especially when John picks up the accoustic and still has backup fills by David Ryan Harris and Robbie McIntyre on electrics. But comparing Mayer and his band to DMB cannot be directly compared I know this but just comparing on how things are mixed between lead guitar (Dave, Mayer) and fills (which is what Tim, DRH & McIntyre are)

*I have to say though the guys running the Front of House are some of the nicest anywhere and I really like that fact when security is a bitch and you're trying to tape.
thing is, and i've been saying this all day, it drives me nuts sometimes that I can't hear the intricacies of what tim's adding... don't turn the guy down who's playing extremely creative stuff, just so we hear dave strumming away.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #90
lude

Tim stay
Boyd leave
Ross whatever
Butch stay gone
lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #91
kvisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounds101 View Post
Personally my interest in the band started to wane after Butch left. Could be coincidence, but I'm a sucker for keys and subtle fills on a song which Butch brought in spades. He was one of those guys who would be doing stuff that I wouldn't realize until my third listen of the song.

In addition, I loved his solos in the longer songs, I didn't feel that they were boring at all, they had some great musicality to them. Of course I never went to DMB shows to just have things be rocking the whole time, I'm a fan because they have great musicality to go along with their song-writing. I also feel the band started to jam songs a bit less once butch left. Not that they don't jam, but things now feel a bit more scripted than when Butch was here.

Of course all of this is just my opinion, but my favorite shows/songs to listen to happened in the Butch Era... and of course the early era when they were still a young band and experimenting with stuff. I like spontaneity and subtlety in my music, and I feel that some of that left when Butch left the band.
well put

Shows Attended:
08.10.01, 04.19.02, 07.20.02, 06.20.03, 09.03.03, 06.30.04, 07.27.05, 12.04.05, 06.13.06, 06.14.06, 06.17.08, 06.18.08, 05.27.09,
06.09.09, 06.01.10, 06.02.10, 07.06.10 (D+T), 11.02.10, 06.02.12, 07.03.12, 12.07.12, 05.28.13, 07.03.13, 06.11.14, 06.24.14,
07.21.15, 07.06.16 (D+T), 07.19.16.
kvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #92
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
yeah tim has nothing do with dave not coming up with as many unique riffs as he has in the past.
Agreed, I just personally liked it when DMB songs were written around Dave's riffs and lyrics. I don't think Tim has anything to do with that change, it's more. It's just the band taking a different approach to writing then it did in the past. Not saying that's a bad thing that they changed, I just think Dave's writing is different when he is the one that first builds the song, but that is obvious.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #93
Tomacco

The subtlety in the music is still there. There are just louder/more dominant aspects also so you have to dig a bit deeper and pay a bit more attention to hear them. I think there are just as many, if not more, subtleties in the music these days than during the Butch era - especially in 2005-07 when they were playing the early versions of the SU songs, Break Free, Can't Stop, Cornbread, and Eh Hee which genuinely lacked substance because they had not developed the songs yet. I especially believe Stefan has stepped up his bass playing tremendously in the last couple years. Also on songs where Tim isn't dominant, he fills the song with amazing touches that are often overlooked or unheard.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #94
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Tim has been perfect. You can say he was too, "heavy" in 1998 (and in many ways he was), but he has been awesome since 2008. The single-most refreshing thing to happen to this band this decade.

Early 2008 was such a pleasure, I think Tim brought a lot of fire back to the guys. Those early 2008 summer shows had LeRoi and Tim trading off solos (Crush). I think he elevated everyones play.

He can be subtle and beautiful (2008 Summer Sampler Proudest Monkey) or balls to the wall (Live Trax 15 Proudest Monkey).

Having said that, I wouldn't mind adding Butch to the mix. I do miss him on Rapunzel and Warehouse.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #95
Josh.0

Am I mistaken, or was Butch's last performance with DMB for the [Only registered users can see links.] ?

Dave Matthews Band
April 1, 2008
Outback Steakhouse 20th anniversary conference
Fantasy of Flight, Polk City, FL

Two Step
What Would You Say
Louisiana Bayou
Crash Into Me
Crush
The Idea of You
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much
Ants Marching
-----------------------------------
Stay (Wasting Time)

Sorry if I'm late coming to realize this. Apparently everything happens at the Outback.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #96
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Keep Tim, bring back Butch.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #97
santa.garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
This
santa.garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #98
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
as long as he never took a solo.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #99
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

I don't care what Butch does either way, but I want no part of Tim leaving.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #100
greykitkat36

def. no tim leaving.

Butch made it pretty clear that we wanted to do other things and he most likely will never fully join the band again...I'd love to see the current lineup with butch also on a few shows for sure, even if only on a couple of songs, it'd be nice. And I'm not against Butch coming back for good either, I'd just say its doubtful.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc