These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #41
littlecory16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I was not there, but this looks like the best of the tour thus far. SPAC's got nothing on this.
I was at both, and while I love SPAC this show was just amazing. Easily the best show of the tour. The energy was there for every moment and they sounded perfect. Even Rye had Dave hitting the high notes. Perfect show.
littlecory16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #42
Typicaldouchestep41
Witness

Best show out of somewhere sixties for me.

Halloween makes it special to me, but the other songs on the set are amazing.

Dreaming Tree
Pig
Typical
Jane
Stone

Good weekend, great times, spectacular shows. So happy to hear Halloween.
Typicaldouchestep41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #43
godshufflingby
Miss You Roi

I thought both shows were great. The band was tight and showed alot of enthusiasm while playing. The stage and lighting were superb without taking away from the exceptional selection of songs they choose to play.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #44
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typicaldouchestep41 View Post
Best show out of somewhere sixties for me.

Halloween makes it special to me, but the other songs on the set are amazing.

Dreaming Tree
Pig
Typical
Jane
Stone

Good weekend, great times, spectacular shows. So happy to hear Halloween.
ive seen about 65. last night is tops. good god they're good.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #45
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1t. Dan View Post
having LeRoi Moore makes DMB better IMO
completely disagree. having jeff coffin and tim makes dmb better than they ever were before. not to discredit that 94-98 era, they were incredible then and had a hungry raw energy. but i prefer them right now.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #46
Moses
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
i'm assuming you're gonna give the typical mid-90's response? yeah they're better than that now.

no
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #47
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos View Post

no
hey it's an unpopular opinion, i get that. i'm speaking only about live shows though, studio wise they were better back then but live no way.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #48
Moses
TDCya

that's a fair opinion.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #49
batleon

While I try not to use "best" and "better" often, I think dissident would have a fairly strong argument. The lineup is incredible, the band is tight, the new stuff is shaping up nicely, and they are writing set lists that are something out of a DMB hardcore fans wet dream.

It's downright invigorating
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #50
Welsh
Would you play by the rules?

Quote:
this band has never been better. fact.
If we're not counting the old days, then I agree. They were so different then, it's hard to compare. But these PERFORMANCES might be better than some of the hallowed ground of 1998. FACT. Even without Roi there, the band itself is just tighter than they've ever been, and playing the shit out of the songs.

Kudos to Boyd for stepping it up. Greppson et al 's pulls from SPAC were left stack masterpieces, and Boyd didn't destroy them by skreeing through entire songs. I really hear a difference and it's easy to pick up in his tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbphan1
As long as they can suck the rust off a trailer hitch, its all good to me.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #51
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1t. Dan View Post
having LeRoi Moore makes DMB better IMO

Especially since 90% of the parts Jeff plays are Roi's.

Jeff is doing a fantastic job. But I still consider him a guest. Same with Ross.

Of course, Tim is more of a ''member'' than either of those guys.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #52
dmb1981

Quote:
completely disagree. having jeff coffin and tim makes dmb better than they ever were before. not to discredit that 94-98 era, they were incredible then and had a hungry raw energy. but i prefer them right now.
i do too. i love the level they're at now. they're craaazy good.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #53
Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
i do too. i love the level they're at now. they're craaazy good.
Yeah, I personally love what Coffin brings. I think he's refreshing and interesting. I hate to say this, but when Roi got hurt last year, and I heard Coffin would be taking over for the rest of the tour, I said, "wow, the band is gonna be so much better for the rest of the summer." Of course, I thought Roi was coming back eventually, but the point is the same - I just think Coffin is a better sax player. Personal opinion.

Now, I second-guess myself on that when I hear some of the late 90s stuff (there was a clip of Heartbeat Intro on the fuse documentary that was just beautiful). But I think Roi had gotten kinda stale, sadly. I listen to the June 2008 recordings, and I struggle to find the fire. He was sticking nursery rhymes into jams all over the place, and not in a clever way, I thought it was kinda lame.

I don't want to disrespect the man. I love Roi's music and what Jeff is playing now is Roi's music. But Jeff is breathing new life into this band, and he's a huge part of why the band sounds as good as they do right now.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #54
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Yeah, I personally love what Coffin brings. I think he's refreshing and interesting. I hate to say this, but when Roi got hurt last year, and I heard Coffin would be taking over for the rest of the tour, I said, "wow, the band is gonna be so much better for the rest of the summer." Of course, I thought Roi was coming back eventually, but the point is the same - I just think Coffin is a better sax player. Personal opinion.

Now, I second-guess myself on that when I hear some of the late 90s stuff (there was a clip of Heartbeat Intro on the fuse documentary that was just beautiful). But I think Roi had gotten kinda stale, sadly. I listen to the June 2008 recordings, and I struggle to find the fire. He was sticking nursery rhymes into jams all over the place, and not in a clever way, I thought it was kinda lame.

I don't want to disrespect the man. I love Roi's music and what Jeff is playing now is Roi's music. But Jeff is breathing new life into this band, and he's a huge part of why the band sounds as good as they do right now.

I definitely agree with this post. No disrespect to LeRoi because he was an amazing player and wrote all of the brilliant DMB sax lines, but from 05 until his death his playing seemed a lot less inspired. He started to make a comeback in 08 before the accident, but I still felt like a little something was missing in his playing. I personally enjoy Coffin's more aggressive and upfront playing style and have to say that right now we are seeing a band on a mission every time they get on stage. Their performances now are blistering night in and night out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #55
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I definitely agree with this post. No disrespect to LeRoi because he was an amazing player and wrote all of the brilliant DMB sax lines, but from 05 until his death his playing seemed a lot less inspired. He started to make a comeback in 08 before the accident, but I still felt like a little something was missing in his playing. I personally enjoy Coffin's more aggressive and upfront playing style and have to say that right now we are seeing a band on a mission every time they get on stage. Their performances now are blistering night in and night out.
Blistering. Jam after jam after jam. Sat night was a treat of treats. Couldnt get enough. Wished they played for another 3 hours. Jeff Coffin is ridiculous. I met him on Sat afternoon downtown. Great guy. Bigger than I thought. He's ripped. He blew typical apart.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #56
captainbigeyedpig

I see many similarities between '98 and '09. The band releases an album of songs for the most part previously unheard by us. They tour, and the tour is great. The performances of songs from the new album are great, but they continue to grow and evolve as the tour wears on. It soon becomes apparent that many of the new songs will eventually become monsters (though it took awhile for some).

I know that most people consider 1998 one of the better tours ever, and it was. But keep in mind that all that BTCS material we got back then was pretty raw, like much of the Big Whiskey stuff is today (compared to how it will probably sound in a year or two's time). But I was lucky enough to spend the summer catching several shows a month back then, and I must say, aside from a few shows in June, a couple in July and August, I'd say it is a bit overrated. The feelings among fans weren't any better or worse about the songs than those are today about Big Whiskey. If anything, there was some disappoint among long-time fans unable to get into the heavier, darker themes underlying the album. I think for those fans, DMB will always remain a happy, dance the night away type of band.

What truly sets 1998 apart is their Fall/Winter tour. By then, many of the BTCS songs had become familiar enough, and several songs which sounded empty (for example Dreaming Tree) received a huge boost by guests. Everything came together to make up one of the best runs I've been a part of.

But so far, this summer has been completely amazing. And I'd argue on the side of Dissident. This band is better than they have ever been, note-for-note. At least during the live shows. And yes, a lot of it has to do with Jeff. Nothing against LeRoi, but Coffin is a showman. While LeRoi had an off night or two the last couple years, it was more his lack of movement, when mixed with the waning energy Boyd was bringing, that helped make the band seem like the fire was going out. Again, his playing was usually outstanding as always. But with no real movement from the right, and no movement from the left, it began to feel like a group of guys who felt they HAD to be there, not that they WANTED to be there. Jeff moves, he seeks Carter out. He seeks Dave out. He seeks Tim out. He and Rashawn seem to share many laughs during their downtime on stage.

Meanwhile Tim is playing parts that make me think of his guesting back in 1998. With the obvious exception of a solo or feature on a song, his play supports and rounds out what the band is playing. Much like Butch did on the keys, so too Tim does but on the electric. But for me, I like it, because it gives it more of a rock feel.

Rashawn Ross seems to have benefited greatly from having Coffin around. He is great with his fills, as he has improved in that area steadily over the last couple years. But it almost seems as though having Jeff there trying to outdo himself every night is forcing Rashawn to do a bit of the same.

I consider Ross a part of the band, and at this point I consider Tim a part of the band, too. Coffin I know is a guest, but I hope he never leaves.

There are three major things I miss, though, from LeRoi, the band and the atmosphere of a concert.

1. While not a showman, LeRoi had that lazy, wandering, openness to his playing that I just loved. There were times I could shut my eyes and mentally attach myself to his playing, and feel like I could float anywhere. While Jeff Coffin can TAKE me anywhere with his playing, LeRoi Moore was able to LEAD me anywhere. Freedom. I guess that is the best word to describe it. There was more freedom in LeRoi's playing for the listener. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but it's the best I can think to describe it.

2. True, there is a rawness to the band in the early years that can never be matched. But that goes with any new band, and their initial few years. There is something great to be said for the sound and feel of the band as they tried to humbly handle their massive success in the early/mid 90's. It can never be had again, but I can say from comparing the two era's in my own experience, they are closer now than they ever have been. It truly is a rebirth for them, in their own minds (as well as ours).

3. DMB concerts are always a bit bittersweet for me, nowadays, LeRoi notwithstanding. Like any super huge band with a massive following, they have become a bit of an institution. As such, some of the elements I used to relish about DMB concerts are forever changed. For example, while I can totally understand the appeal of tailgating, it makes me sad that for years now, people can't seem to clean up after themselves. For a band that has put such a heavy emphasis on nature, the fans are, by and large, a real discredit to them in that light. Another example is that with a larger amount of people at the shows comes a larger amount of people who really shouldn't be there. I mean they pay their money, but it's a lot of money to pay if you don't really like the band. This isn't to say I'm against new people coming to shows. But I'm against people who, 8 months of the year talk as though they have no interest in Dave Matthews Band, and then get to the show and behave as though they've been lifelong fans. I'm against the fans who just go to drink beer and socialize and can go into work the next day and tell their coworkers and friends they went to a Dave Matthews Band concert. And yes, there were plenty of people like that years ago. But again, bigger crowds mean bigger portions of what I consider Concert Douchebags.
captainbigeyedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #57
ssdmbfan
LeRoi...gone far too soon. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post

Great post, I certainly agree.

Sad thing is, LeRoi was sounding so enthused about Big Whiskey and it really could have been a rebirth of him on stage. It's hard to imagine a better replacement than Jeff though.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #58
SteadySmokin03
Me, I am the Proudest Monkey

Haven't been around in about 2 weeks and this set is the first thing I see. Well, consider me blown away. I hadn't even noticed the Band had broken out The Stone this year (with the Wise Men Reprise no less). I am very jealous of those of you so lucky to have witnessed so many gems in the DMB catalogue all in one night. Too early to mention LiveTrax considering what's still coming this year, but this could certainly be released in the future and I don't think there'd be too many complaints. This show makes me incredibly eager to see what the European sets will look like.

"The ground beneath is nothing more than my point of view"
SteadySmokin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #59
Welsh

That Pittsburgh show may end up setting records over at dreamingtree. It's kinda popular and stuff.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #60
Welsh

By the way, did anyone else tape that night? Just curious. Brown's is great.

Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc