These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Trout

Pittsburgh N2 Review - Holy S#!T

Well, just got back to my hotel from n2, what a night! Tonight was my 50th show, and I can honestly say, this may have been the best show I've ever seen. I've had unique experiences like Red Rocks, GGP and Gorge n1 last year, all of which were truly special. But taking the special venues or circumstances, and just looking at the setlist and performances alone, this show ranks at the top of the list. I seriously couldn't have written out a dream setlist for an album tour that could be any better than that. Not one bad song, even Rye Whiskey was good cuz Dave was hitting the falsettos. The crowd was fantastic around me (I was in Sec 3 on the inner aisle) and the band just never let go of us. More than 3 hours long, I was in shock and joy the whole night.

Here's a quick song by song:

Bartender - Honestly, didn't see it coming as the opener, and was thrilled with this. Awesome performance, and I love it in the opener slot.

Squirm - Perfect placement for this. Liked it better than in Toronto when it was in a run of multiple Big Whiskey songs. Right after Bartender, this was intense and fun, a nice little jolt after the Bartender jam.

Pig - Another surprise. I haven't heard it since 2006, so I was thrilled, always a favorite.

Dive In - This thing sounds fucking awesome live. That jam at the end is sick.

Burning Down the House - Another song I didn't see coming. This one is so much fun live.

The Stone - Unbelieveable. What Coffin does on the jam is incredible. And he set up the crowd for an extended "Wise men" chant, similar to Red Rocks (the last time I saw the song, funny enough). The double finish is kinda cool. Worked real well as a segue into...

ASTB>Ants - As I said last night, ASTB is one of my favorite things the band does right now. I just love it. And Ants this year has been so great. Man, we're rolling now!

#40 - Fuck yes! What a nice surprise midset, and it was beautiful. Only my 2nd #40, and it was great. Dave solo, once through the verse to "Always" and that's it.

Dreaming Tree - My favorite song by the band, love it every time. At this point, someone should've pinched me, I could swear I was dreaming with this show. 9 songs in, no repeats, all quality stuff.

Why I Am - Another good performance, first repeat of the night.

Funny - Standard, but fun and well placed.

Typical Situation - Fuck yeah! This song keeps eluding me. I did hear it once, but it has been scratched from 3 setlists for me before, and I've been dying to hear it again. The jam is so sick, absolutely loved it.

Shake Me - Thought it would be Crush when the drop D came out. But solid tight performance.

Crush - There it is! What a monster this song is. That Jeff-Tim jam is mind-blowing.

STJL - Didn't see it coming, another nice surprise!

You and Me - Ok, it's 10:40pm, how are you still not playing the closer??

Two Step - Oh my god! This took the main set to 11pm, and did it in style, as this thing was as good as ever. Carter's drum solo was money.

Rye Whiskey - Good job by Dave tonight. His voice was good, so this didn't suck.

Time Bomb - Like the jam/guitar solo they put in this live. Really good high energy song.

Halloween - As Time Bomb was ending, Carter started his Halloween drum solo and I went nuts. This made my night complete. Nothing will ever match the first time I heard this song, but it's still amazing to get to hear it, and it was the perfect way to cap off the night. There's more structure to it now. It's not just Dave yelling. Well done, couldn't ask for a better finish.

So all in all, more than 3 hours tonight of non stop amazingness. I've never had a show like that, where not one song was sub-par. The band just kept bringing it and rocked my mind tonight. Never seen a show quite like this one, and a real treat for my 50th! And only 4 repeats from night 1 in 20 songs! What a night!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
tmgolf

I was there and I couldn't have said it any better myself...Truely amazing night of music!
tmgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
dandtrock

nice review. easily my fav setlist of the year. the next time dmb takes the stage state-side... alpine. hopefully we get something in the same league as this setlist.
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
godshufflingby
Miss You Roi

Well said
Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Tomacco

I was not there, but this looks like the best of the tour thus far. SPAC's got nothing on this.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
ethaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I was not there, but this looks like the best of the tour thus far. SPAC's got nothing on this.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
AiR_WaNg
oh isn't it strange ?

Just got in, What an Amazing show! By far the best the band has pulled this year so far.

The Jam in Typical was great.

Pig and Halloween (2 of my favorite tunes) in one show. Awesome.

otherwise, speechless.
AiR_WaNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
neilb

awesome set! nice review
neilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
FiddySpence
TDCya

this band has never been better. fact.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
Smylie

My 40th and the best one yet

thanks for the tickets trout

Smylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Smylie

Oh and the only song that wasn't nailed IMO was typical, but it was still damn good. Jeff needs some more work on the break down

Old 06-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Smylie

And the Hold Steady are fucking awesome.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 AM   #13
captainbigeyedpig

A couple things:

Bartender: I think Dave screamed "Now I just want to fucking hide". But my sister started to speak to me right when it happened, so he may have said "run and hide" per usual. I've never heard him scream the "fucking hide" part.

STJL: I feel this wasn't nailed. Partially because they've slowed it down over the years, ala BOWA. It was still great, and I love it. It is simple, and reminds me of the old days.

Dive In: I guess some of you guys aren't big fans of this song because of the lyrics? I've been curious as to when Dave would write a global warming song. This song addressed that curiousness. Just like LITHOG, it is one of those tunes that you just know will continue to develop, with potential jam written all over it.

BDTH: Great placement. Even though we all love Pig, it is a bit mellow, despite the end. Dive In is another mellow tune. This was the perfect song to get everyone hyped up again.

Funny: When I hear this on the radio or the cd, I enjoy it, but can see myself tire of it. Then when it started up in concert I was like, this is cool, but I can't see myself getting too into it. By the end of the song, I'm singing along with everyone else.

Halloween: I don't know if they intended to play it, but the cool thing was Dave didn't half-ass it. You could see him really push himself to get out the words without going hoarse. It was a real strain, and I can see why they would play this sparingly. Glad we got it.

The guys all seem to be having such a great time, I love it. Last night after #41, Dave went over and pretended to jerk off Carter's mic.
captainbigeyedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylie View Post
My 40th and the best one yet

thanks for the tickets trout
Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #15
rnieves
Sugar ain't poison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
this band has never been better. fact.
rnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
RageATL
The Dude abides

Great, yet ANOTHER show I need to DL, damn this tour, I'm gonna need a new HD by the end of it!

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
dmb2much40

this set was amazing.

being part of wise man stone outro was awesome.
halloween/stone/crush/pig/dreaming tree i never thought we'd get all those in one set, just fantastic.
absolutely love ants mid-set too.

the only complaint i have about this weekend is there were no downer songs for a bathroom break
Old 06-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
this set was amazing.

being part of wise man stone outro was awesome.
halloween/stone/crush/pig/dreaming tree i never thought we'd get all those in one set, just fantastic.
absolutely love ants mid-set too.

the only complaint i have about this weekend is there were no downer songs for a bathroom break
Just piss your britches and say someone spilled a beer on you!

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #19
greppson
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
i have read this more this year than ever before with this band.

greppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
godshufflingby
Miss You Roi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
You are correct

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc