These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #181
Bluewater34
Is Old

I listened to this week’s album days ago and then forgot to post about it. I liked it a lot. The depth of the arrangements was really impressive. Her voice reminds me a lot of someone that I could never quite put my finger on. It’s funny because when my wife got this album it would have been exactly the kind of thing I was into at that time, but somehow I never heard it until now.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #182
blumathu

I'm glad you liked it. It's one of my go-to albums when I'm concentrating but still want some music on.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #183
morgadt

The sound is a good balance of upbeat electronic and chill singer/songwriter. I enjoyed it.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #184
celluloid hero

Happy Sunday! Here is my pick for this week. It wasn't planned to be my next one, but a friend of mine sent me Drive from this album a few weeks ago. Maybe you know that song. I felt like it was giving me a giant hug. I was happy when I listened to the album and liked the rest of it just as much.

Almost all songs are male + female voice. The harmonies are often unexpected, but it still feels like you've been listening to this album to turn around your mood for your whole life.

From the band:

ENDLINGS
by The Well Pennies
In 1936, a Tasmanian Tiger died in the Hobart Zoo. He was the very last one…an endling.
These songs explore this topic of extinction and how it relates to all aspects of life. Not only are the environment and animals endangered in this day and age; hope, human connection and artistry are becoming more of a rarity. And if we don’t value the things that are most important to us, they will become harder and harder to find.

Worldshaker - A song about change
Drive - A song about love
Wide Open Sky - A song about finding beauty in everything
The Flying Machine - A song about faith
Kill The Darlings - A song about letting go
The Echo & The Shadow - A benediction
Spark - A song about movement
Strange Chemistry - A song about technology
Benjamin - A song about saying good-bye
Sightings - A song about hope
The Endling - A song about the beginning & the end

The Well Pennies are Bryan Vanderpool & Sarah Vanderpool
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #185
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I've got to catch up on the last two....will listen today!
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #186
morgadt

I like albums that are mostly quiet and acoustical. That was a pretty chill record. I would want to check out more of their stuff.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #187
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Happy Sunday! Here is my pick for this week. It wasn't planned to be my next one, but a friend of mine sent me Drive from this album a few weeks ago. Maybe you know that song. I felt like it was giving me a giant hug. I was happy when I listened to the album and liked the rest of it just as much.

Almost all songs are male + female voice. The harmonies are often unexpected, but it still feels like you've been listening to this album to turn around your mood for your whole life.

From the band:

ENDLINGS
by The Well Pennies
In 1936, a Tasmanian Tiger died in the Hobart Zoo. He was the very last oneÖan endling.
These songs explore this topic of extinction and how it relates to all aspects of life. Not only are the environment and animals endangered in this day and age; hope, human connection and artistry are becoming more of a rarity. And if we donít value the things that are most important to us, they will become harder and harder to find.

Worldshaker - A song about change
Drive - A song about love
Wide Open Sky - A song about finding beauty in everything
The Flying Machine - A song about faith
Kill The Darlings - A song about letting go
The Echo & The Shadow - A benediction
Spark - A song about movement
Strange Chemistry - A song about technology
Benjamin - A song about saying good-bye
Sightings - A song about hope
The Endling - A song about the beginning & the end

The Well Pennies are Bryan Vanderpool & Sarah Vanderpool
LOVED this week's album. Loved it so much I immediately listened to their second album. I like your description that you felt it was giving you a giant hug, that's pretty accurate. Great harmonies and vocal melodies on the entire album. I would really like to see them live sometime.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #188
Bluewater34
Is Old

Checked out the album this morning. This one is so sweet that I think it gave me a cavity. Extremely pretty, to the point that by the end I was hoping for a song that had just a little bit of grit or bitterness to break up the mood a little. But I definitely enjoyed this one. I’ll always have a sweet spot for well arranged acoustic music like this.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #189
Bluewater34
Is Old

Garn, you’re up next. Are you still in here? Haven’t heard from you in a bit.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #190
Garntd

I got around to listening to the Well Pennies album. really hit the spot. will have one up by tomorrow
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #191
Garntd

I'm in a huge 90s mood lately. Stunt was one of the first cds I ever owned and it got a ton of spins then. Everyone knows "One Week" and "It's All Been Done," but there are so many hidden gems on here, such as "Some Fantastic."

Old 08-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #192
Bluewater34
Is Old

Nice pick. I’ve been meaning to dig into them again and I’ll bet I haven’t heard that one in 20 years.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #193
morgadt

Revisited Rock Spectacle for the first time in over 20 years.. Perfect live record. I look forward to hearing this one again.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #194
blumathu

I've always been a casual BNL fan. I've seen them live a few times and have listed to a couple of albums, but never this one. I really liked it. I forgot how great their acoustic based songs can be. I am going to listen to a few more I think.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #195
Bluewater34
Is Old

I got into BNL with Rock Spectacle, and went back and dug into the first few albums after that. I was a big fan, but for some reason, probably One Week, I decided that with Stunt they had gone too far and tipped over into being too gimmicky and jokey for me. Listening to this record a few days ago, I really don’t know why I ended up coming to that conclusion. I definitely still prefer those earlier albums, but this one is still a perfectly acceptable mix of sincerity and smirk. I’m glad this was assigned, because I enjoyed it, and I probably wouldn’t have given it another chance otherwise.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #196
Garntd

Before relistening, I thought I knew the album back to front, but I guess I just always cut it off at the same point, after Some Fantastic. The last few songs on the album (unless it's just the anniversary one on iTune) are okay, but tracks 1-12 are as solid as can be.

Call and Answer is a perfect ballad, Who Needs Sleep has hook after hook in it, Some Fantastic is really catchy and has some pretty decent/funny lyrics. It's just a great album.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #197
Bluewater34
Is Old

Just a quick reminder: Jason, you’re up next.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #198
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Excellent, mine will be posted tomorrow at some point.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #199
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Here goes....my personal favorite of the Stephen Kellogg discography. Can’t get enough of this guy’s music. The perfect mix of fun songs and deeper lyrics/jams (looking at you Oh Adeline and Mabeline.). Hope you guys enjoy half as much as I do.

Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers - The Bear

Spoiler:
The critical plaudits continue to roll in for Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers. A touring stalwart ten years in, the New England-based trio has yet to receive the radio airplay that its music so fervently deserves. However, The Bear (released September 8 on Vanguard), the sixth CD credited to Stephen Kellogg and The Sixers (SK6ers), has been showered with praise, such as “… The Bear is an attention-grabbing, self-assured set” (Slant Magazine); “The Bear is easily their best album to date” (mog.com); and “Kellogg has made his masterpiece” (bullz-eye.com).

The praise is well deserved, as The Bear is an infectious set of roots rock and Americana that tugs at the heartstrings and lifts the soul. It’s a very personal recording for Kellogg, where the songs progress chronologically, spanning adolescence to middle age. But the personal reflections are universal, honest stories of the highs and lows of life and the human condition that many experience at one point or another, and as such, will resonate with a large audience.

Kellogg states his thesis up front on the opening title cut: “Sometimes you get the bear/ Sometimes the bear gets you/ Sometimes you’re gonna win/ And sometimes you’re gonna lose/ But you know in the end, there’s no apologies.” It’s a fun, two-minute stripped-down, country-blues jaunt that sounds like it was done in one take, sans the polished production of the rest of the CD.

Credit is due to producers Tom Schick and Sam Kassirer for bringing out the best vocal performances yet from Kellogg, particularly “A (With Love).” He’s known to have a nasal twang, but on The Bear he sounds clear voiced and on pitch. The country tone remains musically on “A (With Love),” as steel guitars lead in the empathetic tale of severed family ties, and then getting support from where you’d least expect it in the face of teenage pregnancy. It’s a sweet, melodic toe-tapper, despite the mature themes.

With a bevy of handclaps, a choir of voices on the sing-a-long chorus, and buoyant power pop chords, the first single, “Shady Esperanto and the Young Hearts,” is a jovial a pop single. Too bad they don’t play songs like this on the radio anymore. Kellogg is joined on vocals by Canadian siren Serena Ryder on the lovely ballad “See Yourself.” Elegant trumpet provides a lift to the somber yet beautifully sung “Dying Wish of a Teenager.” Harmonica, organ and steel guitars provide a lush backing to the melancholy, heartfelt rumination, “My Old Man.” A jovial chorus of vocals, sunshiny piano and acoustic guitar undercut the somber lyrical break-up tone of “Do.” Musically at least, it is another upbeat, catchy pop nugget that would succeed at radio if given the chance.

The standout track is the seven-minute heartbreaker, “Maybeline.” Beautiful and elegant piano, swells of Hammond organ and gorgeous acoustic guitar combine with brushed snare percussion as the canvas for Kellogg’s vivid lyrics: “I was empty of a feeling/ Not a momma could love me /If I was a shooting star/ I was just ash and gas debris/ A voodoo doll with so many pins, there was nothing left to stick/ And out of that abyss, became a real light so thin.” Musically it builds to a crushing, bluesy crescendo of organ and guitars and a chorus of voices singing in praise. CD closer “Born in the Spring” is a lovely string laced ballad that brings Kellogg’s thesis full circle: “Through all the what fors, the flames and trap doors through which all of us fell, the stories that I can not tell.”

Truth be told, there isn’t a bad cut on the entire CD. The Bear is one that you can listen through without hitting the skip button once, and it gets better with each repeat listen. Kellogg sounds as though he’s found his adult voice, both figuratively in his sweet, dulcet tones, and lyrically in his mature songwriting. Kellogg’s singing is stunningly heartfelt and beautiful, and the music is simply gorgeous. Add my praise to the critical plaudits in favor of Kellogg and the Sixers. The Bear is an absolute magnum opus that everyone should own a copy of.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #200
Bluewater34
Is Old

Checked out the album today. I liked it a lot. Particularly Mabeline. That song is going to stick with me.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc