These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #41
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
My office closes at noon tomorrow. #YOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #42
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
My office closes at noon tomorrow. #YOLO

I work in the admin building of a private school, we get Fridays off in the Summer starting June 6th. #YOLO
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #43
Josh.0

Wanna hear something else rich?

Like six months ago, I was working 60-70 hours a week and my boss kept telling me how I needed to pick up the pace and how my projects were lacking (while, keep in mind, I was juggling TWICE as many projects as any other person in my role). I was in a rut where I felt like no matter how hard or smart I worked, I just couldn't do anything to make anyone happy.

I finally hit a wall, and in the last month or two I've had more of a "fuck it" attitude and been working only 40-45 hours a week. I mean, I'm literally spending at least an hour a day dicking around on the internet, often coming in after 9a and leaving RIGHT at 5p. Today my boss tells me "you've been doing such a tremendous job. Everyone keeps talking about how good your projects are going. Kudos to you."

Fucking unreal. What a world.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #44
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post

Like six months ago, I was working 60-70 hours a week and my boss kept telling me how I needed to pick up the pace and how my projects were lacking (while, keep in mind, I was juggling TWICE as many projects as any other person in my role). I was in a rut where I felt like no matter how hard or smart I worked, I just couldn't do anything to make anyone happy.

I finally hit a wall, and in the last month or two I've had more of a "fuck it" attitude and been working only 40-45 hours a week. I mean, I'm literally spending at least an hour a day dicking around on the internet, often coming in after 9a and leaving RIGHT at 5p. Today my boss tells me "you've been doing such a tremendous job. Everyone keeps talking about how good your projects are going. Kudos to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #45
Tomacco

Quote:
"Infiniti: Infinitely boring the shit out of their marking team since 1989."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
"Infiniti: Are you sure you wouldn't just rather have a BMW? Really? Well -- Ok then."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Infiniti: If you have $40k to burn, why not?

Thanks for the help. Fortunately I have other accounts to work on besides Infiniti to keep me sane. Just don't feel like writing headlines today.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #46
Tomacco

Quote:

Lucky you. Just be glad you're not in the type of office where it's a badge of honor to work late hours, and people actively notice and scoff when you leave before they do. Unless they do and you just don't care, haha.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #47
Josh.0

They do and I just don't care.

One woman in my group literally works from about 7:30am until 7-8pm. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I think she thinks it makes her look like a rock star, but most of us just think she's insane.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #48
mja271

Fuck people like that. I'm not going to be a martyr, and it just looks you look more desperate if anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #49
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

The Official "Work Sucks/Complain a About Your Job" Thread

Quote:

I'm in a similar position. If anything, this job helped me to realize what I do and do t like. What is a good for for me and what isn't.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #50
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
I was a developer but am now an architect, what are you curious about?
I too am an architect. I was curious to hear others views on the role.

As far as I can tell there are 3 types of SW Architects:

#1 Those who actually understand their role as an architect and execute it as such.
#2 The arrogant asshats who only have an architect title because they've been at the company a long time and that was the next logical step for them. Typically just glorified developers who don't actually do any architecture.
#3 The architects that either they don't understand what the role is or the company doesn't so they are doing other random things. For instance my company thinks an architect should be the one leading a project, managing the schedule & risk, assigning tasking, the one responsible for code reviews, etc. I've only finally convinced them that they need a Project Manager or a Product Manager to take care of some/most of that stuff.

I've come to conclude that there are a lot of #2 architects out there, so the architect role kind of has a negative connotation to it.

That and I have 2 architects working for me who are both worthless in their own ways (I would put one as a #1 and the other as a #3).

I've also gotten this question from several people, including some senior developers (like senior with 15 years experience): "What does a SW Architect do?".

I'm more curious to hear how the architects are used/viewed in some other companies.

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #51
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I'm either unemployed this Sunday... Or next Sunday.

Glad to be done where I am at but fuck
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #52
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

[Only registered users can see links.]

this just happened about a mile away from where i work
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #53
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
I too am an architect. I was curious to hear others views on the role.

As far as I can tell there are 3 types of SW Architects:

#1 Those who actually understand their role as an architect and execute it as such.
#2 The arrogant asshats who only have an architect title because they've been at the company a long time and that was the next logical step for them. Typically just glorified developers who don't actually do any architecture.
#3 The architects that either they don't understand what the role is or the company doesn't so they are doing other random things. For instance my company thinks an architect should be the one leading a project, managing the schedule & risk, assigning tasking, the one responsible for code reviews, etc. I've only finally convinced them that they need a Project Manager or a Product Manager to take care of some/most of that stuff.

I've come to conclude that there are a lot of #2 architects out there, so the architect role kind of has a negative connotation to it.

That and I have 2 architects working for me who are both worthless in their own ways (I would put one as a #1 and the other as a #3).

I've also gotten this question from several people, including some senior developers (like senior with 15 years experience): "What does a SW Architect do?".

I'm more curious to hear how the architects are used/viewed in some other companies.
Ok so let me step back a bit. I assumed when you said architect you meant #3, because many people think of those folks as architect, when they're really not (as you stated).

I'm really a tech lead type role, doing the things you've mentioned in #3. I work with 3 actual architects at my company, only one of which I'd consider a legitmate architect. The other two are more or less just very experienced tech/dev leads (and good at what they do, maybe just with the wrong job title)
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #54
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]

this just happened about a mile away from where i work

This is terrible...
Old 05-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #55
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Ok so let me step back a bit. I assumed when you said architect you meant #3, because many people think of those folks as architect, when they're really not (as you stated).

I'm really a tech lead type role, doing the things you've mentioned in #3. I work with 3 actual architects at my company, only one of which I'd consider a legitmate architect. The other two are more or less just very experienced tech/dev leads (and good at what they do, maybe just with the wrong job title)
Interesting. Software Architect is still such a new role, and, at least in the web world, I think people are still trying to figure it out exactly how best to use architects.

I find it interesting that a lot of people don't understand what an architect does (a lot of people I talk to simply think it's a developer with a lot of experience). However, on the flip side, almost every project I've worked on, the people on it understand when the project's architecture is lacking or . . . in some cases, completely non-existent. So even if they don't understand the role of an architect, they at least have some definition in their head of what the architecture is, but they cannot make the connection.

Thanks for the input, I wasn't in any way trying to be insulting (or condescending) I hope it didn't come off that way, I'm just struggling to deal with a role that seems to be given out for many different reasons. Which, most of the time, like you said, ends up with someone being given an incorrect title. My struggle is mainly due to my current company's view of an architect (which is #3), and the fact that we are in such desperate need of a true architect (#1).

I do understand that from a developer standpoint, SW Architect looks much better on the resume than Product Lead or Lead Developer. Which may drive some of the title discrepancies, but who knows.

After I posted this the other day I looked around and apparently it's all over in the web world. Seems like web apps are getting more and more complex and now, within the last 3-5 years the architect role is really desperately needed. Only people don't really know what to do with it. They hire/promote a software architect because they know they need an architect, but they don't really know what he should be doing.

Are you doing web development?

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #56
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
This is terrible...

Yeah, kinda glad it wasn't a family coming down for the holiday. They are closing the parkway southbound for an investigation on the busiest weekend of the year... Damn
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #57
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
Yeah, kinda glad it wasn't a family coming down for the holiday. They are closing the parkway southbound for an investigation on the busiest weekend of the year... Damn

Yea, this is not good.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #58
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
Are you doing web development?
Some of it is, yes. We work with a bit of everything.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #59
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
They do and I just don't care.

One woman in my group literally works from about 7:30am until 7-8pm. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I think she thinks it makes her look like a rock star, but most of us just think she's insane.
I find these folks have nothing at all to go home to, anything they'd rather be doing or are a avoiding something.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #60
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Idiots. I'm surrounded by idiots.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc