These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #361
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
This will be one I'll have to skip still being out of work & having baby #2 on the way, but a year ago at this time I would have definitely held my nose & ordered. My wife has put me on phish only probation. And the dave & tim live trax set.
keep it in your pants and you can buy more music.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #362
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I got the email for this earlier and thought it was pretty cool (though '77 is pretty well covered with official releases & other areas are largely ignored). Is it just me or is the price pretty high? More than $25 per show seems excessive. Still excited, and I'll admit I haven't listened to any of these shows, but the sets seem pretty familiar to the june winterland box.
Yeah, it comes out to $10/disc, so I don't think it's terribly overpriced, but I hear ya. And you'd also be paying for the whole glitzy box which most of us don't care about.

And yeah, while spring 77 is amongst their very best ever, the Dead really never mixed up sets within a tour as much as people seem to think they did. So, these won't vary much from the May and June 77 releases already out, since almost all performances from that time are great. But when this is out and around, I highly recommend the 5/17 Tuscaloosa show in particular.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #363
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Are you talking official releases (of which there are of course many) or unreleased shows?

I, and others here, can give you lots of suggestions based on which of the above, what the handful you already have is, etc.

Generally, though, you definitely want to focus on the years 1970-74 and 1977. I love the Fillmore East run at the end of April 1971 (most of which was released in Ladies and Gentlemen release), almost anything from Europe 1972 tour (check out 4.14.72 Tivoli, 5.3.72 Paris), 9.21.72 Philly Spectrum is another favorite (released as Dicks Picks 36), most all of 1973 is fantastic, particularly the fall IMO, and you can throw a dart at a show in May 1977 and it will be great, especially the legendary three night run of 5.7, 5.8, and 5.9. You probably have that 5.8.77 Cornell show b/c it's legendary, but if not, Set 2 of that is one of the first things you should listen to. And there's so much more, of course. I also like a lot of the 1988-1990 era, too, partly because it was the height of my show-going years, but I think it's the best post 70's era.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Diving into 5-8-77 now. Finally in summer and can enjoy these now.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #364
JWood

May 1977 is "out"
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #365
Mitch

So this thread needs to be dusted off a bit.

May 1977 box set has been out a while, and that Tuscaloosa show I've always loved sounds great on it. Haven't listened to the other shows much yet.

Dave's Picks 7 came out last week, a very good April '78 show. I've heard the show in the past, but haven't listened to the DP release yet.

And the big announcement earlier this week was that the legendary 8/27/72 Veneta, OR show that pretty much every Dead tape trader back in the day had a copy of, is finally being officially released. The video footage has been around for a while, but now it's getting the official Blu Ray/CD combo release treatment. Should be very cool. I've always thought the show was kinda overrated (I prefer something like 9/21/72 Philly Spectrum from that era), but I am excited to hear it in multi-track. If it sounds as good as those E72 multi-track shows they recently did, that will be awesome. And it will be great to see all the tripping hippies in Blu Ray.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #366
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

I've actually slowly been getting into the Dead, as I am not as familiar with them as I'd like to be. I love their stuff (or what I've heard so far).

Quick question: Should I try to familiarize myself with their catalog first? Or just jump right in to the live stuff. I have American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and Shakedown Street, just for starters. What should my next move be?

(I've also taken into consideration Mitch's post that roshea quotes above ^^^)
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #367
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
Quick question: Should I try to familiarize myself with their catalog first? Or just jump right in to the live stuff. I have American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and Shakedown Street, just for starters. What should my next move be?

(I've also taken into consideration Mitch's post that roshea quotes above ^^^)
Live. Definitely live.

I would recommend the same approach I suggested to roshea. For starters, I'd say start with a Europe 72 official release (even the original Europe 72 compilation and recent Vol. 2 comp.), and an official release from May 77, of which there's several.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #368
drummerkrf

Quote:
Live. Definitely live.

and an official release from May 77, of which there's several.

Is Hartford '77 from May?

(I don't care to investigate at the moment)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #369
Mitch

Quote:
Is Hartford '77 from May?

(I don't care to investigate at the moment)
Yes, good show. Although I don't think that show has a Scarlet>Fire, which is definitely something you want to hear from 77.

I love talking about this stuff, so please ask anything you want.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #370
drummerkrf

Quote:
Yes, good show. Although I don't think that show has a Scarlet>Fire, which is definitely something you want to hear from 77.

I love talking about this stuff, so please ask anything you want.
Awesome, thanks man. I'll have to dive into this more.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #371
drummerkrf

Ok here's a question:

How did you get into the Dead? As far as material goes...

All I can do is try to relate these guys to DMB, and its hard to fathom that another band out there (historically) has had a similar effect on people, maybe even moreso. So it kind of overwhelms me. While I enjoy their so-called 'hits'... and I want to get deeper into what makes them great... I can't seem to find my 'in' with them.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #372
Mitch

Quote:
Ok here's a question:

All I can do is try to relate these guys to DMB, and its hard to fathom that another band out there (historically) has had a similar effect on people, maybe even moreso. So it kind of overwhelms me. While I enjoy their so-called 'hits'... and I want to get deeper into what makes them great... I can't seem to find my 'in' with them.
I remember having Dead Set in high school (around 1986). After I went to college in '87, I got much more into them and started going to shows and trading tapes. Never really payed much attention to the studio albums at all.

I'm sure it can seem like a daunting task getting into them. If you're interested, I will sendspace you a little starter compilation of some live tunes for you to see if/what you like. If you want, do you use iTunes b/c I'll send AAC's you can just add right to iTunes.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #373
drummerkrf

Quote:
I remember having Dead Set in high school (around 1986). After I went to college in '87, I got much more into them and started going to shows and trading tapes. Never really payed much attention to the studio albums at all.

I'm sure it can seem like a daunting task getting into them. If you're interested, I will sendspace you a little starter compilation of some live tunes for you to see if/what you like. If you want, do you use iTunes b/c I'll send AAC's you can just add right to iTunes.
Yeah I use iTunes...

and holy shit I would be forever indebted to you...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #374
Mitch

Ok cool, it will be fun for me to put something together too. If anyone else wants it, let me know. I'll try to get to it tonight and PM you the link.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #375
drummerkrf

hey thanks Mitch.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #376
Mersh

Quote:
Ok here's a question:

I always found something like Europe 72 (the 2 disc set not the huge box set) was a good jumping off point for a lot of people.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #377
Mersh

Don't send him Dead Set
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #378
Mitch

ha, no I won't
Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #379
Mersh

heh