Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #20961
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Chicago may be a decent comp
Interesting comparison. I think there are some similarities in their grassroots popularity and longevity, and the fact they both had unique instrumentation and song composition.

But Chicago produced a lot more music and had a lot more hits. Switching from a progressive rock band with horns to a pop ballad band is what really hurt their credibility and tarnished a lot of their legacy (even though it was commercially successful).

Chicago also had a ton of talent from the beginning -- 3 great lead vocalists and 4 good songwriters.

I don't think DMB stacks up with them very well.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #20962
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
wtf guys. The Dead filled football stadiums every summer from 87-95. And that was in addition to playing lengthy runs at arenas all over the country all year long. They werenít just a summer touring act either. They were very big at that time. I was there. Comparing Dave Matthews to the Grateful Dead, holy fuck
Right, and again that was not my point when I inadvertently kicked off this argument. I was using the only objective metrics that we have to measure a bandís cultural impact, those being album sales, air play, chart position, ticket sales, etc. By most objective measures, DMB has had a bigger impact than the Dead. But only by those measures (and almost certainly not even including ticket sales). By almost any intangible comparison (respect, influence, fan dedication, etc.) the Dead win handily, and are easily the far more culturally significant band. Thereís just no easy way to show that factually.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #20963
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Right, and again that was not my point when I inadvertently kicked off this argument. I was using the only objective metrics that we have to measure a bandís cultural impact, those being album sales, air play, chart position, ticket sales, etc. By most objective measures, DMB has had a bigger impact than the Dead. But only by those measures (and almost certainly not even including ticket sales). By almost any intangible comparison (respect, influence, fan dedication, etc.) the Dead win handily, and are easily the far more culturally significant band. Thereís just no easy way to show that factually.
Well said.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #20964
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Well if Chicago is the comparison then Dave needs to put on his Peter Cerera Pants and start his solo career for fucks sake.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #20965
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2531 View Post
Well if Chicago is the comparison then Dave needs to put on his Peter Cerera Pants and start his solo career for fucks sake.
Shoulda happened 14 years ago
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #20966
NiCK (Crush)

A 16 seed just beat a 1 seed and I truly cannot believe it.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #20967
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
A 16 seed just beat a 1 seed and I truly cannot believe it.
Unbelievable. And UMBC lost to Albany by 44 points this season!
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #20968
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I’ve been throwing on 9.3.04 Sugar Will in the car on the way home the last two nights. I truly miss that band and that song. Simple elegance, I love it. Also, I was thinking near that end of that one in particular that a segue into Seek Up would’ve worked really nicely. Same key and all. Of course, that would be 25-30 minutes without a break and Dave would never think to do it, but could be cool.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #20969
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Iíve been throwing on 9.3.04 Sugar Will in the car on the way home the last two nights. I truly miss that band and that song. Simple elegance, I love it. Also, I was thinking near that end of that one in particular that a segue into Seek Up wouldíve worked really nicely. Same key and all. Of course, that would be 25-30 minutes without a break and Dave would never think to do it, but could be cool.

Also, I threw in the BS album this morning and when the beginning of Bartender comes on, Boyd sounds very Irish.....never noticed it and fitting for St.Patricks day.
ggies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #20970
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Iíve been throwing on 9.3.04 Sugar Will in the car on the way home the last two nights. I truly miss that band and that song. Simple elegance, I love it. Also, I was thinking near that end of that one in particular that a segue into Seek Up wouldíve worked really nicely. Same key and all. Of course, that would be 25-30 minutes without a break and Dave would never think to do it, but could be cool.
Yeah, 04 is the last year I really felt like the band was actually the band I grew up with and wanted them to be. I understand the whole band evolves discussion and they shouldn't be the same as they were when they started, but I felt 04 was the last year they had that true unique DMB sound. Those 04 songs were so good and fun to watch evolve.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #20971
greykitkat36

I think theyíre very similar to Springsteen, but clearly not as popular or culturally relevant/inspirational. Both fan bases have serious hardcore devout fans that follow the band around and collect shows and keep stats etc, but also have the mainstream/radio/go to party part of the fan base. Springsteen had a lot more hits and radio success but has also declined as a writer and artist as time progressed. If you take Springsteen in the 90s where he had not a lot of output and not good output at all, thatís about the same time into his career as DMB is into theirs. Springsteen came out that and has put out some better stuff since The Rising, and thereís no reason DMB couldnt also do the same. Tom waits literally took almost 15 years off from releasing anything and then came out with some of his best albums ever.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #20972
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think theyíre very similar to Springsteen, but clearly not as popular or culturally relevant/inspirational. Both fan bases have serious hardcore devout fans that follow the band around and collect shows and keep stats etc, but also have the mainstream/radio/go to party part of the fan base. Springsteen had a lot more hits and radio success but has also declined as a writer and artist as time progressed. If you take Springsteen in the 90s where he had not a lot of output and not good output at all, thatís about the same time into his career as DMB is into theirs. Springsteen came out that and has put out some better stuff since The Rising, and thereís no reason DMB couldnt also do the same. Tom waits literally took almost 15 years off from releasing anything and then came out with some of his best albums ever.
The way I see it is dmb has taken since 01 off.
There has been one album worth of "big 3" stuff since then (maybe two if you stretch it). I wish they didn't release a bunch of crap and put out a good album at this point
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #20973
Steveo Style

First post of the day. I guess everyone needs some ALBUM NEWS to talk about.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #20974
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

Whatever happened to Loving Wings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #20975
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
Whatever happened to Loving Wings?
It's been rare since 2002.

2002: 32 plays by DMB
2003-2015: 48 plays by DMB
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #20976
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Should be interesting to see if setlists vary more this year as it could speak to Boyd being a partial reason for lack of variety. That’ll never be confirmed but something to keep an eye on. At the same time, it’ll be difficult to tell with an album tour and all.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #20977
greykitkat36

Quote:
Should be interesting to see if setlists vary more this year as it could speak to Boyd being a partial reason for lack of variety. Thatíll never be confirmed but something to keep an eye on. At the same time, itíll be difficult to tell with an album tour and all.
I donít think his departure will deter them from playing certain songs. They showed that already with that with the Super Bowl show. It may stop them playing stuff like The Stone, LIOG or drunken soldier, but I think theyíre playing the hits regardless
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #20978
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I donít think his departure will deter them from playing certain songs. They showed that already with that with the Super Bowl show. It may stop them playing stuff like The Stone, LIOG or drunken soldier, but I think theyíre playing the hits regardless
I think he means the other way. As in Boyd sucked so they couldnít play certain songs because he didnít know them. But, even if they were covering for them, then end result would have been just what weíll have now. Him not playing on the songs.

I still think Carter is a bigger reason than boyd for why the sets arenít as diverse. That and a general boredom from dave with dmb.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #20979
sdaltons

Quote:
Should be interesting to see if setlists vary more this year as it could speak to Boyd being a partial reason for lack of variety. That’ll never be confirmed but something to keep an eye on. At the same time, it’ll be difficult to tell with an album tour and all.
But it being an album tour could also affect the variety. Will be hard to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #20980
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I think he means the other way. As in Boyd sucked so they couldnít play certain songs because he didnít know them. But, even if they were covering for them, then end result would have been just what weíll have now. Him not playing on the songs.

I still think Carter is a bigger reason than boyd for why the sets arenít as diverse. That and a general boredom from dave with dmb.
Gotcha, well Boyd wasnít really playing on the songs anyway the last few years, and they still played a huge chunk of catalog, so I donít think heís been the main reason. Itís not Dave, just look at the recent Dave and Tim sets, theyíve been way more interesting than recent Full band sets. Dave does have songs he really likes to repeat a lot, but those D+T sets really are more interesting. Stefan seems to always to push to play rare stuff, and Jeff and Rashawn are going to just fall in line/be cool with whatever, so it does seem to kind of fall on Carter a bit. Daveís always looked to him for approval too, so Iím sure thereís some bit of compromise.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc