These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
FiddySpence
TDCya

Arrested Development is coming back (again)

per @HadleyFreeman's twitter from some panel in new york:

Mitch: "We're going to do a limited run tv series as a run up to the movie." #tnyfest

There will be 9 or 10 episodes, each episode focusing on one character, explaining what they've been up to the past 5 yrs #tnyfest

Jason: "We're hoping to start shooting the movie this summer, the new series start screening in the autumn. Hopefully." #tnyfest

Mitch: "By the way, we thought it wd be funny if we said that Michael Cera was holding up the film. Er, that was a joke, everyone" #tnyfest

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
harmonikfuzion

I hope they do it justice. It seems like it has potential to be gimmicky if they're only following one character at a time. still fucking awesome though.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
FiddySpence
TDCya

i'm sure the story will be focused on one character at a time, but the rest will be involved in each episode.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
dmb448

Awesome news! The episodes will probably be like a mini-series format. I haven't watched this show in awhile but it was weird to see this news pop-up since tomorrow I am going to start watching the series again.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
FiddySpence
TDCya

batemanjason Jason Bateman
It's true. We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early '13. VERY excited!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Mitch

Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
FiddySpence
TDCya

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
brian3641

Wow, I really never thought it was gonna happen (the movie) now they're throwing episodes at us too? Awesome!
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
brian3641

I wonder where the episodes are gonna air. You gotta figure they're not happy with Fox for the lack of support the first time around.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
FiddySpence
TDCya

well fox would have to agree to air them in the first place. while the show has blown up quite a bit on DVD, it's still a pretty niche show and not something like Family Guy that appeals to the lowest common denominator and was a sure fire hit for a second chance. so i'm not sure FOX would even want to air them.

i imagine something like IFC, which has been sort of reinventing itself as the place to go for true quality comedy as of late with it's airings of Undeclared, AD, Larry Sanders, Freaks And Geeks, etc. and will promote the fuck out of it.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
3-D

Whoa, this is pretty crazy.
3-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
mja271

This is so awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
FiddySpence
TDCya

while this is great, and better, news. considering the 4th season is a prologue of sorts to the movie, i don't see any way that it's released theatrically. not that it matters.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Not content with merely teasing fans with an Arrested Development movie, creator Mitchell Hurwitz has now upped the ante to a movie and a return to series television for the show, telling an audience at today’s New Yorker festival that a nine- or ten-episode “limited-run” fourth season of the show would help provide the prelude to the film that is still definitely happening, seriously. Adding further fuel to the flame, both Jason Bateman and Will Arnett later tweeted that both the movie and the next round of episodes would shoot next summer, probably seeing release sometime in 2013, while Bateman spoke for the rest of the assembled Arrested Development cast and crew in saying that “creatively we are all on board.” (As for supposed longtime holdout Michael Cera, Hurwitz explained that the whole ruse was just an idea for a “inside joke” he’d had based on Cera’s “Andy Kaufman thing.” You know, that Andy Kaufman thing that Michael Cera has.) Clearly, for a show that has inspired a religious faith in its Second Coming, this Sunday saw some especially impassioned preaching.

And now, the obligatory caveats: Hurwitz acknowledges that, while the creative side is cooperating 100 percent, the stumbling block, as always, comes down to money. “We don’t completely own the property, there are business people involved and studios and that kind of thing,” he said—as he's always said—adding that the expanded project “requires studios to work together that don’t typically work together, film and TV.” And of course, as of right now, there's neither a film studio nor a network attached to either project, meaning Hurwitz has essentially doubled down on his bet that someone cares enough about reviving Arrested Development for its cult fanbase.

But that’s boring, pragmatic, cynical realist stuff! As a far more entertaining distraction, Hurwitz offered some tantalizingly specific details about the now much bigger project. As he explained, the new episodes would focus on a single character at a time, all in order to fill in the backstory on what’s happened to them since the last episode—and according to the New York Times, he’s even got the first episode mapped out:

The first episode, he said, could focus on Buster Bluth, the deeply neurotic brother played by Tony Hale. “The latest joke we have,” Mr. Hurwitz said, “is that it’s Cambridge, Mass., and there’s all these scientists in lab coats and they’re waiting for somebody. Buster comes through the door in a white lab coat — ‘Let’s begin’ — and they say, ‘Oh, no, you don’t get to wear the lab coat. We’re experimenting on you.’ ”

Why, it’s almost like you can see it in your head! (Which is still pretty much the only place you’re definitely going to, as of right now.) So in conclusion, don’t get your hopes up about an Arrested Development movie anymore. Get them up about an Arrested Development movie and a fourth season.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
FiddySpence
TDCya

while there's some sobering reality there, this is such a bold thing to announce if they weren't confident it was going to get done. i'm now convinced this is happening, whereas up to today i would have bet the movie would never happen.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
3-D

[Only registered users can see links.]

Netflix and Showtime are in talks to air the new episodes.
3-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
FiddySpence
TDCya

a part of me hopes they keep the swearing bleeped.

but at least they could go as twisted as they wanted to with the stories.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #17
NiCK (Crush)

I just blue myself.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
FiddySpence
TDCya

There's gotta be a better way to say that.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #19
FiddySpence
TDCya

HUZZAH!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
NiCK (Crush)

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc