These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
DMB's Most Important Shows?

I was thinking about this earlier with all the talk about shows needing a release. Aside from just being truly great performance, what other shows have been actually important for DMB? Milestones, televised performances, specific venues played, with or without a band member or guest...

I'll start. I was thinking about the first show DMB played as what most people typically consider DMB 1.0 (without getting overly technical)

- 3/24/93 - [Only registered users can see links.]

It wasn't the first show without Peter as he had already left the band with Doug Wannamaker filling in a few shows, but 3/24/93 was the true beginning of just "the 5".

It's not a great show in terms of standout performances, but it's a solid show. I think at that time it was extremely important for the band to show just how easily they could transition themselves from a six-piece to a quintet. They sounded better without Peter and overnight with the loss of cheesy keys and barely any inspiration, the band began their journey with the defining musical sound that would launch them to their first few records. 3/24/93 was a turning-point for DMB. In the grand scheme of things one could argue that today looking back it wasn't a huge deal, but when you stop and think about all the personnel changes and losses and additions they've gone through over the years then it definitely stands out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think have been some of the most important live performances from DMB over the years?
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
willndmb

Live at RR 95 imo was a big deal because many people still didn't much know about tapes and/or had high gen copies that sounded like crap. This release helped put them out there as a live act which I think everyone would agree is there strong suit
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

DMB's Most Important Shows?

This is an excellent new thread topic, Brandon . Would you consider both 9.27.94 and 9.28.94 (UTTAD release party shows) to be worthy of inclusion as vital DMB concerts in their history?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
greykitkat36

CP is one of the bands most important shows. I think it absolutely defined their peak and I think itís been a slow downhill decline since that show in terms of everything, I think that was the absolute highest peak as a live, touring act and a concert that took them into legendary status as a live act.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

8/19/2008.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

[Only registered users can see links.] - First time at Giants Stadium

[Only registered users can see links.] - First time headlining The Gorge

[Only registered users can see links.] - Last show with just the 'Core 5' (I believe, right?)

We already got [Only registered users can see links.] (First time at MSG)
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

First stadium show.. I was there.. Foxboro 1998 would be a highlight. VH1 was there...big night.
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
dmblaststop

Opening for GD
Opening for Phish
Woodstock 99
Old 03-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
NiCK (Crush)

Central Park has to be mentioned.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
TRL
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #11
dmb2much40

What about 5.30.08 and 2.03.18? Significant lineup changes.

But in all seriousness, the dead openers, those first few 98 stadium shows, Woodstock and Central Park.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
Mitch

[Only registered users can see links.]
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
wiebrod

I would agree with a lot of what people put on here. Central Park is definitely one of their most important shows IMO, but because of the release of Red Rocks I'd put that one up there also. The RR release was such a good release for the band.

I do like your pick though Brandon, makes a lot sense.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
This is an excellent new thread topic, Brandon . Would you consider both 9.27.94 and 9.28.94 (UTTAD release party shows) to be worthy of inclusion as vital DMB concerts in their history?
As much as I love those shows, 9/28/94 being among a handful of shows I first received when I started trading tapes, I gotta say I don't hold those shows as important in the bigger picture. I mean that's just my opinion though. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
8/19/2008.
For sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblaststop View Post
Opening for GD
Opening for Phish
Woodstock 99
Agreed completely with opening for The Dead. I think that was a huge accomplishment for the band in their own eyes especially only being a band for 4 years at that point. Carter's even quoted as saying when they opened for the Dead that's when he truly felt like they had "made it". I think it also solidified the band's spot in the jam band scene. When you traded tapes in the mid to late 90's, DMB had nestled their way into a comfortable position with the likes of Phish and others on so many traders lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
TRL
Honestly, not every performance of some importance has to be positive. Sometimes they're negative as well and Ronan, you might be joking but I kind of agree. DMB did so many things in 2001 that really shaved off a thick layer of older hardcore fans who, most, never returned. And that TRL appearance was definitely one of many nails in the coffin that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post

But in all seriousness, the dead openers, those first few 98 stadium shows, Woodstock
I fully agree with Woodstock '99. I remember watching the broadcast thinking they made a big mistake by booking that show. A lot of people on the boards then felt the same way. It was like great, they're gonna go out there right out of the gate and try and play something energetic to compete with all the rock bands, but they did something totally unexpected...they played to their strengths as a band within their own sound. Starting off with #41? They were basically saying fuck you, this is who we are while simultaneously being humble and staying in their own lane. It was cautious, ballsy, respectable, calculated and most all you felt like you still watch the Dave Matthews Band who were not trying to be anything other than what got them to that point. People often forget to that the Woodstock '99 show was an extremely popular show among the entire DMB fanbase. It was a widely traded tape/cd, the boards were always talking about it years later, I also remember Hartford '00...I can't even count how many people were blaring that show from their car that weekend. It wasn't perfect. It has a few missteps and a few sound issues, but it was what the band did and how they seemingly held their own amongst a lineup (mostly) whose fans you imagined couldn't care less but DMB seemed to win over the crowd. I don't want to make it seem like it was legendary, but it was an important show for DMB and their fans.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #15
drumrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
As much as I love those shows, 9/28/94 being among a handful of shows I first received when I started trading tapes, I gotta say I don't hold those shows as important in the bigger picture. I mean that's just my opinion though. What do you think?

For sure.

I fully agree with Woodstock '99. I remember watching the broadcast thinking they made a big mistake by booking that show. A lot of people on the boards then felt the same way. It was like great, they're gonna go out there right out of the gate and try and play something energetic to compete with all the rock bands, but they did something totally unexpected...they played to their strengths as a band within their own sound. Starting off with #41? They were basically saying fuck you, this is who we are while simultaneously being humble and staying in their own lane. It was cautious, ballsy, respectable, calculated and most all you felt like you still watch the Dave Matthews Band who were not trying to be anything other than what got them to that point. People often forget to that the Woodstock '99 show was an extremely popular show among the entire DMB fanbase. It was a widely traded tape/cd, the boards were always talking about it years later, I also remember Hartford '00...I can't even count how many people were blaring that show from their car that weekend. It wasn't perfect. It has a few missteps and a few sound issues, but it was what the band did and how they seemingly held their own amongst a lineup (mostly) whose fans you imagined couldn't care less but DMB seemed to win over the crowd. I don't want to make it seem like it was legendary, but it was an important show for DMB and their fans.

Always felt that way about their SNL performance in 95. The warehouse fake into Ants. Felt that was a nod to the old fans and a way of saying they are going to do what they want.
drumrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #16
Fan#41

I remember Foxboro and Giants '98, when tickets went on sale they sold out within 1-2 hours, which was a big deal then. I remember standing in line at a Tickmaster outlet located at the service desk of a Macy's in the mall. Luckily I was one of the first few in line but I remember talking to a friend after buying tickets and maybe 20 minutes later someone freaking out because they only had upper bowl seating left. Dave said that when he heard how quickly both Foxboro and Giants sold out it scared him because "now we have to figure out how to fill them with sound".

I think those '98 Stadium gigs are definitely important for many reasons but I think they would hold more importance had DMB played more shows there. Like saying it's the first "major" stadium gigs is something, but the reality is it was only a section of 3 separate tours they played those venues.

Why do they hold such importance in your eyes (those of you who listed the stadium gigs) ?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #17
dmb2much40

Quote:

I still listen to it fairly regularly (side note: did we ever get a source besides the one with all songs on a single track?). Youíre right, they came out and NAILED that performance. Similar to Central Park, you could tell how amped up they were to be there. One of the most energetic performances I can recall. And there was a buzz after it happened outside of the core fan base. I got a copy of the vhs from some random guy at work.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #18
dmb2much40

Quote:

I think those '98 Stadium gigs are definitely important for many reasons but I think they would hold more importance had DMB played more shows there. Like saying it's the first "major" stadium gigs is something, but the reality is it was only a section of 3 separate tours they played those venues.

Why do they hold such importance in your eyes (those of you who listed the stadium gigs) ?
Itís a huge deal to go from playing 20k sheds to 80k stadiums one year to the next, and to sell them out to boot. Dave being concerned kinda makes sense when you consider those shows were loaded with guests. Bela, but also big voice jack and the ladies for the first time. Using them to create a fuller sound, maybe take some pressure off of the band a bit. But having those guests just for those shows made the shows seem special, like the band considered those shows to be the biggest of the tour and were going out of their way to make them memorable. Those have to have been Ďwe made ití moments for them as well.

They could have filled the stadiums for more tours if they wanted. I remember an interview where Dave said he didnít like playing them because he felt disconnected from the fans and couldnít put on as good of a performance as he wanted. Paraphrasing, but the part that stuck out was Ďif 50,000 fans walk by after the show and say good gig and one person says shitty show, thatís the one Iím going to remember.í
Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #19
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Itís a huge deal to go from playing 20k sheds to 80k stadiums one year to the next, and to sell them out to boot. Dave being concerned kinda makes sense when you consider those shows were loaded with guests. Bela, but also big voice jack and the ladies for the first time. Using them to create a fuller sound, maybe take some pressure off of the band a bit. But having those guests just for those shows made the shows seem special, like the band considered those shows to be the biggest of the tour and were going out of their way to make them memorable. Those have to have been Ďwe made ití moments for them as well.

They could have filled the stadiums for more tours if they wanted. I remember an interview where Dave said he didnít like playing them because he felt disconnected from the fans and couldnít put on as good of a performance as he wanted. Paraphrasing, but the part that stuck out was Ďif 50,000 fans walk by after the show and say good gig and one person says shitty show, thatís the one Iím going to remember.í
Great points.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #20
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Both 3.23.93, 9.28.94, and 2.24.95 were the first 3 B&Ps that I received. I've always considered 9.28.94 to be an important show, since it was the UTTAD release party show and sported an amazing setlist to boot, but I guess its luster has faded over the years. However, this has happened to several shows that were once held on a very high level. I guess as time goes on and the band performs more and more shows, there are more choices to choose from. At times, I miss when we only had 10 or so years of shows to choose from, but life goes on.

With that being said, I guess we will have to include both 6.28.08 and 7.1.08 on this list as well, for an obviously sad reason.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc