These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #141
batleon

Another great thing about this release is you can compare it to our other '97 release and there's very little overlap. Even when you have the same songs on both you have wildly different versions (LIOG with very different guests, a raw early Leave Me Praying vs. a more refined one).
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #142
dmb2much40

Quote:
Originally Posted by always40 View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned LT 7 yet...is this upcoming release better than that one?.
Well NYE 96 had Paul mccandless and this one has Coffin. Outside of personal preference for the differences in song selection, its a toss up. Id say both shows are top 10.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #143
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I also love this show because much like the rest of the Flecktone-related shows that month, there a number of really awesome performances that had absolutely nothing to do with Bela or Jeff. Recently from 6/7, Jimi from 6/12, Drive in Drive out from 6/13, Leave me Praying from 6/10, ASTB from 6/13, and many more. But of course one of the most famous was #41 on 6/9 (Letterman). Couple all that with The flecktone guest spots and it just makes that run even better.

this is a solid and very good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
It gets overlooked often because the song selection was so narrow that summer, but for me there are few tours in the band’s history where they sounded as consistently good as Summer ‘97.

1997 is one of their all-time best tours for sure
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #144
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Well NYE 96 had Paul mccandless and this one has Coffin. Outside of personal preference for the differences in song selection, its a toss up. Id say both shows are top 10.
Agreed.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #145
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I also feel like the mixing of McCandless was poor, so that hurts those tracks. Crash especially.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #146
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Live Trax 47 - June 8, 1997 | Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford, CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I also feel like the mixing of McCandless was poor, so that hurts those tracks. Crash especially.

Yes, this bothered me as well when LT 7 came out. That’s why I feel unusually paranoid about this release too. I hope it’s all just in my head though. I’m sure things will be fine.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #147
celluloid hero

I don't know what happened with the mix, but it's worth discussing anyway. Keep in mind that everything is "probably" or "possibly." I think there's a good chance that he was on the same track as LeRoi as they played through the same microphone, and if McCandless was playing further away from the mic, it wouldn't record as well. But that doesn't explain why you can hear it OK on the AUD, but you also could be picking up actual room sound from the instrument on the AUD, though likely not louder than the band's speakers. It just doesn't make sense to mix him that low on this. But they also could have put in some effort to mix that track up when it's just him taking a solo and having to keep it as is when they play together or Roi is soloing.

I know. It could be incompetence, but even bad mixes don't have a featured guest mixed that low. It doesn't feel intentional.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #148
Fan#41

That's a tricky one though. I feel like they did a tremendous job with the mix of 12/31/96. They did all they could with Paul. There was something obviously wrong with his stage mic, whether it was too low and they couldn't fix it or it was just a bum mic or the FOH already maxed out volume feed on stage left and he was just too far from the mic, I don't know. I think that speaks volumes to how much of a legend that show was that they would release it with clear flaws like that.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #149
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I don't know what happened with the mix, but it's worth discussing anyway. Keep in mind that everything is "probably" or "possibly." I think there's a good chance that he was on the same track as LeRoi as they played through the same microphone, and if McCandless was playing further away from the mic, it wouldn't record as well. But that doesn't explain why you can hear it OK on the AUD, but you also could be picking up actual room sound from the instrument on the AUD, though likely not louder than the band's speakers. It just doesn't make sense to mix him that low on this. But they also could have put in some effort to mix that track up when it's just him taking a solo and having to keep it as is when they play together or Roi is soloing.

I know. It could be incompetence, but even bad mixes don't have a featured guest mixed that low. It doesn't feel intentional.
Total guess obviously but I would say it probably has something to do with balancing Paul and when he was turned up louder, it threw everything off?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #150
celluloid hero

Quote:
That's a tricky one though. I feel like they did a tremendous job with the mix of 12/31/96. They did all they could with Paul. There was something obviously wrong with his stage mic, whether it was too low and they couldn't fix it or it was just a bum mic or the FOH already maxed out volume feed on stage left and he was just too far from the mic, I don't know. I think that speaks volumes to how much of a legend that show was that they would release it with clear flaws like that.
Remember when someone who was friends with someone in management came in here during the 12.31.96 order period and asked why pre-orders weren't stronger? It was like after Fenway they got a lot of feedback from the older fans and they threw us this bone and it wasn't nearly hitting their expectations. Maybe I can find that thread. I think I know who posted it.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #151
Fan#41

Chris (DMBPride) ?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #152
celluloid hero

Quote:
Chris (DMBPride) ?
Yeah it was Chris. I can't find the thread, though. It seems it was like right at the start of this board based on the threads in the archive.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #153
Fan#41

I often wonder if 12/8/98 wasn't the first LT if it would have sold as well as it did. 12/31/96's release was only 2 years after the first LT (2004, 2006). I agree they threw some of the remaining oldies a bone but it's like DMB is always 10 steps behind, and 5 years too late. They should have been releasing shows on a semi-regular basis long before 2004.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #154
willndmb

12/31/96 and this will be my top LT for sure.
I have everyone and only like 5 get solid play time
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 AM   #155
greykitkat36

I’ll be excited to listen to this again in great SBD quality. I think it deserves to be in the discussion in a top 10 list, but I’ll listen again. They’ve released so many great shows and also haven’t released so many great shows. No one brought up 12/3/98 in this thread, and it’s another one that now moves up to probably “most wanted” to be released. The 99 and 2000 Giants Stadium shows are up there too for “most wanted”.

I was never a huge fan of 12/31/96 I think it get more hype because of the guest spots and also because it’s one of the only NYE shows of the bands career. I wouldn’t put that in my personal top 10 shows, but I could put it in a top 20. I think there are much better Flecktone guest spots in their career that far surpass those ones.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #156
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Yeah it was Chris. I can't find the thread, though. It seems it was like right at the start of this board based on the threads in the archive.
I remember that too, found the thread:
[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 03-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #157
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Agreed on this but man, so many beautiful performances regardless.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:32 PM   #158
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I remember that too, found the thread:
[Only registered users can see links.]
I just backread that thread. It's amazing how times have changed in our community.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #159
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I just backread that thread. It's amazing how times have changed in our community.
Yeah I did a quick browse through there and some of the stuff was really interesting to reflect back on.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #160
dmb448

Great looking release.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc