These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #101
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
I hadnít realized it had become so rare. Iíve been going to shows since 98 and still havenít caught it

I have seen KKJ a few times though.
It hasnít become so rare, it was played full band, what? twice prior to Ď03. There was the cave crickets in dallas summer Ď98 and then bela at the crown in november Ď98. Got some play in Ď03 and then has returned to being the ultimate rarity ever since.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #102
greykitkat36

If we take the last 15 years of the band (since '03), here are the current rarest songs in the catalog (full band).

#34 - played 15 times since '03 (but even more rare considering it's only been performed in 5 years out of the band's 27 years ('93, '05, '07, '13, '18)
PFWYG - played 14 times since '03 (some in the "acoustic" set, so count those as you will).
Spoon - played 11 times since '03
Sleep To Dream Her - played 11 times since '03
KKJ - played 6 times since '03
Busted Stuff - played 6 times since '03
Angel - Played 0 times since '03 (technically since '01)
Mother Father - Played 0 times since '03 (technically since '01)

This includes album songs, obviously not stuff like Blue Water or People, People or other unreleased stuff/anything that is unrealistic, but just songs that "COULD" be played and are on an album but just haven't been. Also not including anything post-SU, because that stuff is probably too recent to be able to rank as "rarest".

And after just checking, every single song on Big Whiskey and AFTW have all been played more than those songs I mentioned, even though they were only written and "playable" for much less time.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #103
dmb2much40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It hasnít become so rare, it was played full band, what? twice prior to Ď03. There was the cave crickets in dallas summer Ď98 and then bela at the crown in november Ď98. Got some play in Ď03 and then has returned to being the ultimate rarity ever since.
Yeah I guess, just looking at the almanac page it seems like it was played a lot more because Dave/d&t played it quite a bit. Itís been played in some fashion in 8 of the last 12 years. So it must be Stefan (unlikely) or carter that doesnít like it.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #104
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Yeah I guess, just looking at the almanac page it seems like it was played a lot more because Dave/d&t played it quite a bit. Itís been played in some fashion in 8 of the last 12 years. So it must be Stefan (unlikely) or carter that doesnít like it.
Well it's not Dave cause he's writing the sets, and I'm sure Tim is indifferent (he doesn't say no to it, that's for sure). Stefan's always the guy asking us which bust outs we want to hear, so that's on his mind too I'm sure. So I blame Carter--also Boyd could have been a factor in that decision too for a while. Who knows though.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #105
SomeDevil17

Really liked that VITR video. So ready for just D & T to tour for a while and some Dave solo shows. That is pretty much where all my current interest would be.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #106
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Really liked that VITR video. So ready for just D & T to tour for a while and some Dave solo shows. That is pretty much where all my current interest would be.
Booooooring.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #107
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
If we take the last 15 years of the band (since '03), here are the current rarest songs in the catalog (full band).

#34 - played 15 times since '03 (but even more rare considering it's only been performed in 5 years out of the band's 27 years ('93, '05, '07, '13, '18)
PFWYG - played 14 times since '03 (some in the "acoustic" set, so count those as you will).

This includes album songs, obviously not stuff like Blue Water or People, People or other unreleased stuff/anything that is unrealistic, but just songs that "COULD" be played and are on an album but just haven't been. Also not including anything post-SU, because that stuff is probably too recent to be able to rank as "rarest".

And after just checking, every single song on Big Whiskey and AFTW have all been played more than those songs I mentioned, even though they were only written and "playable" for much less time.
That Busted Stuff stat is criminal. Like come the fk on Dave. Have you heard your sax player play?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #108
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
That Busted Stuff stat is criminal. Like come the fk on Dave. Have you heard your sax player play?
Yeah Coffin is amazing on that song, but knowing DMB they'd probably end up giving the solo to Buddy or Rashawn and not utilize him this time. I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that either Dave or Carter definitely didn't like this song, might have been Dave. Could have sworn there was some video or something where Dave gets asked about it and basically says it's kind of poo poo song. Would be an incredible bust out this summer, the last one was back in '10.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #109
Tomacco

Busted Stuff is one of the few I’ve never seen live yet.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #110
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Busted Stuff is one of the few I’ve never seen live yet.
Same here, would love to get it. I wasn't a fan of Tim playing the main guitar part and Dave not playing at all, I like how the part sounds on acoustic, but otherwise the 2010 versions were pretty good, and Rashawn used his mute so he didn't blow your ears out, and he let Jeff kind of take control of it.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #111
Feathered
oh shit!

Quote:

I'm actually surprised by some of those AFTW ones, Broken Things was dropped lot a hot rock real fast even though its great. that 11/30 opener
Feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #112
batleon

Considering I've only been to 30 shows (a low number compared to some of you) I feel pretty lucky.

Busted Stuff - twice, Hartford '00 and Mansfield '10
#34 - once, the big bust out at Mansfield '05
Pay For What You Get - once, Hartford '08
Kit Kat Jam - once, Mansfield '10
Spoon - once, Hartford '13 (with a Stanley Jordan outro instead of the usual sax outro)

That being said there are a few I've never caught that I wish I had. In particular I've never heard Raven or You Never Know and it bums me out that I never got to hear those played with Roi
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #113
BigVodka

I like discussions like these. Just a couple of old salty dogs throwing stats around. I like posting mine as it suites my egomania, but I'm genuinely interested in these paths and stats that others have woven.

I'm now appreciative to have caught Busted Stuff in '02 and '10.
I caught YNK debut and two in 2012. One Raven back in the day.

PFWYG, full band Spoon, Fool to Think, & #34 are my big chasers.
(also still chasing I Won't Give it Away)
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #114
dmb1981

Quote:
Yeah Coffin is amazing on that song, but knowing DMB they'd probably end up giving the solo to Buddy or Rashawn and not utilize him this time. I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that either Dave or Carter definitely didn't like this song, might have been Dave. Could have sworn there was some video or something where Dave gets asked about it and basically says it's kind of poo poo song. Would be an incredible bust out this summer, the last one was back in '10.
A poo poo song. What are your thought on Come Tomorrow Dave? I love Busted Stuff, always have.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #115
dmb1981

Quote:
Same here, would love to get it. I wasn't a fan of Tim playing the main guitar part and Dave not playing at all, I like how the part sounds on acoustic, but otherwise the 2010 versions were pretty good, and Rashawn used his mute so he didn't blow your ears out, and he let Jeff kind of take control of it.
I remember a great one from the Gorge back in 2010 I believe. Great Jeff solo.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #116
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Busted Stuff is a great song, but I don’t really miss it. Most of the songs I want to hear are the ones that get played a handful of times each year.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #117
BigVodka

My list of songs where the studio version is almost untouchable compared to live is, in no particular order:

Busted Stuff
STDH
Stolen Away
Dreaming Tree
B&BB
VITR
SMLAM
(and almost Spoon)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #118
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
My list of songs were the studio version is almost untouchable compared to live is:

Busted Stuff
STDH
Stolen Away
Dreaming Tree
B&BB
VITR
SMLAM
(and almost Spoon)
I don't fully disagree with this list, save for Busted Stuff and DT. DT not as good as studio no doubt but it's still pretty damn fine live. I see your point though.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #119
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Yea, I havenít heard it since SPAC Ď03 full band. Thatís a long ass time.
My only times getting it were 8.28.03 at SPAC and 9.10.08 MSG (Ingrid)

Quote:
Itís one of the rarest songs in the catalog of the last 15 years. Kit Kat Jam only been played 6 times in the last 16 years, that has it beat, somehow I was lucky enough to hear it 3 out of those 6 times.
I was lucky enough to finally get it at the 6.4.10 SPAC show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
This is really awesome. Did not expect to see Dave on guitar for VITR. Tim is doing all sorts of great things. Loved this version.
I really like this VITR as well. Great performance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Busted Stuff is one of the few Iíve never seen live yet.
I've been chasing this song since day one and I've now accepted that I will never hear it live. If I do, I will be blown away. But it won't happen
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #120
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
I like discussions like these. Just a couple of old salty dogs throwing stats around. I like posting mine as it suites my egomania, but I'm genuinely interested in these paths and stats that others have woven.

I'm now appreciative to have caught Busted Stuff in '02 and '10.
I caught YNK debut and two in 2012. One Raven back in the day.

PFWYG, full band Spoon, Fool to Think, & #34 are my big chasers.
(also still chasing I Won't Give it Away)

I love this discussions as well, especially in the off-season. Never seen Busted Stuff, and I like the song and would Definitley love to cross it off the list. Finally got STDH this fall.

Iíve been lucky enough to have heard KKJ 3 times and Raven 5 times live (though none with Roi, all 3.0 renditions of both).

Funny about your song chases as I Got FTT and PFWYG at my very first show ever attended (08.24.03)..and have heard both only once each since that.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc