These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #61
SeekUpAB
 
SeekUpAB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
first of all, trumpet doesn't really even fit into DMBs sound that well. On top of that he playes way too loud and fast. It really gets annoying actually.
You just donít understand brass, man.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #62
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 17,516
Rashawn has a nice piece of brass, that's for sure.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #63
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,712
Buddy Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
This is exactly what I meant when I said #releasethecoffin



I mean, it was a joke / play off release the kraken, but it was just saying he needs to be let loose.


yea that’s what I meant as well with my #openthecoffin. But I guess we are the stupid ones according to Welsh
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #64
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Wow, this thread has the exact reasons I can't stand discussing DMB with DMB fans. To say Rashawn sounds cheesy or gimmicky shows a ridiculous lack of understanding of brass in a rock setting. To say "open" or "release" the Coffin and find another sax player with more "soul" is equally naive and narrow. This is not a soulful band in the live setting anymore. Jeff is UNDERUSED and is horribly misused at most times. Why he is not the featured solo artist, rather than another shredded Tim guitar solo, is unbeknownst to me. And finally, we have no way of knowing what Strong brings as far as his keys. We don't know if he features more modern synth (replacement sounds for Boyd) or more organic key sounds like Page McConnell (Moog synth, Clavinet, Hammond organ, or Fender Rhodes).

In 2018, there are 3 things I want more of...new and different solo spots for Jeff to experiment with (new horns, new effects pedals, etc). Not just trade offs on Jimi, Rapunzel, and Grey, and an occasional masterpiece like YNK or LITHOG...same as above for Rashawn...and a lot less from Tim Reynolds. Tasteful solos and a couple powerful moments sure. The guy is a true innovator of the instrument. Why not use him that way in the live setting? Let him play acoustic. Encourage him to use more effects. And turn him the hell down in the mix.
I think part of being a good musician is having good taste. Rashawn does not.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #65
dmb448
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
first of all, trumpet doesn't really even fit into DMBs sound that well. On top of that he playes way too loud and fast. It really gets annoying actually.
Rashawn should have only been with this band a very limited amount of time. He never should have lasted 10 years with the band.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #66
mja271
 
mja271's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I think part of being a good musician is having good taste. Rashawn does not.
Idk it looks like he tastes a lot of good things
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Paul Bearer was Kane's father, but not Undertaker's. Taker killed his parents in a funeral home fire, but Bearer knocked up Undertaker's mom with Kane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #67
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb448 View Post
Rashawn should have only been with this band a very limited amount of time. He never should have lasted 10 years with the band.
Agreed, but the band really loved what he brought (arranging, backup vocals, ideas). Even Lillywhite admitted in the recent interview that Rashawn is really good at arranging and coming up with hooks. Heís more of a composer. Some of it is bad and cheesy, but some of it is pretty good. Love the horn part on the 2013 CE, BBN, Shake Me etc. despite the fact that I dislike some of those songs, the horn parts are pretty well done.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #68
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Idk it looks like he tastes a lot of good things


Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #69
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,223
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #70
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,929
Looks like somebody's learning his parts.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #71
SeekUpAB
 
SeekUpAB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,398
Is this the part where we give him a ton of undeserved credit for trying to learn or some shit?
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #72
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 15,161
Well, it’s more than Boyd has done in several years.
__________________
May you dine on weeds made bitter by the piss of drunkards.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #73
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,223
Buddy is practicing his Jimi scats
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #74
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
Is this the part where we give him a ton of undeserved credit for trying to learn or some shit?
I donít see why. Thatís the bare minimum. Jeff did the same when he came on board.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #75
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com
 
BrokenThings's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Wow, this thread has the exact reasons I can't stand discussing DMB with DMB fans. To say Rashawn sounds cheesy or gimmicky shows a ridiculous lack of understanding of brass in a rock setting. To say "open" or "release" the Coffin and find another sax player with more "soul" is equally naive and narrow. This is not a soulful band in the live setting anymore. Jeff is UNDERUSED and is horribly misused at most times. Why he is not the featured solo artist, rather than another shredded Tim guitar solo, is unbeknownst to me. And finally, we have no way of knowing what Strong brings as far as his keys. We don't know if he features more modern synth (replacement sounds for Boyd) or more organic key sounds like Page McConnell (Moog synth, Clavinet, Hammond organ, or Fender Rhodes).

In 2018, there are 3 things I want more of...new and different solo spots for Jeff to experiment with (new horns, new effects pedals, etc). Not just trade offs on Jimi, Rapunzel, and Grey, and an occasional masterpiece like YNK or LITHOG...same as above for Rashawn...and a lot less from Tim Reynolds. Tasteful solos and a couple powerful moments sure. The guy is a true innovator of the instrument. Why not use him that way in the live setting? Let him play acoustic. Encourage him to use more effects. And turn him the hell down in the mix.
Amen brotha!

Fuck yes.
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:51 AM   #76
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com
 
BrokenThings's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 542
Can we at least be happy we are discussing the fact they are touring in 2018 versus guessing if they come back ever???
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #77
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenThings View Post
Can we at least be happy we are discussing the fact they are touring in 2018 versus guessing if they come back ever???


No. A real DMB fan will NEVER demonstrate outright approval and if he/she really cares about its development into a contributing and respectable member of society they will continually push DMB until it becomes a well-rounded, confident adult.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #78
jeffym
KOAT
 
jeffym's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: TallyHo Cocktail Lounge - Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,836
Phoenix, AZ

hmmmmm......
__________________
Bye for now
jeffym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #79
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...
 
JamSession v2.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 15,648
Given the track listing that has come out, I don't feel so bad for thinking that Buddy Strong was the name of one of the tracks instead of an actual human being.
__________________
-Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #80
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,223
CONPHIRMED
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11159 seconds with 29 queries