These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #27621
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I also don't remember Trey and Tim having any kind of clash or anything, but Trey was at his peak of pills, coke and drug use at that time, and perhaps Tim thought he was being a bad influence on Dave and the rest of the band...but that's all just pure speculation.

Phish fans often blamed Dave for the breakup of Phish, but I think it was more that the D+F tour just made Trey realize he just didn't have what it took to continue to lead a project like that and decided to have that one '04 farewell tour. If you read the most popular Phish Biography, it clearly states the breakup was something Trey had been mulling for years before it happened and kept it secret from the other members. The band was shocked when Trey brought it up in '04, but they all agreed for all of their own health and for the sake of their families it made sense. Turned out to be an incredible move, because now they're still on top of the world and are all healthy and sober again. Trey could have ended up like Jerry if they continued.
Had old were you in 2003?

The dm&f tour may have taken trey further down the path, but the phish breakup was put into motion in Vegas ‘04. That is when the ultimatum came. Also, Mike said, “no.”

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #27622
patsfan39

Is Hartford 03 where Dave supposedly told the band about Dave & Friends? N1 or N2 in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #27623
Fan#41

He didn't tell them, they were told by someone in the crew. The crew member found out by stumbling on the testing of a specific lighting rig that was not going to be used for the shows. This was a heavy rumor for quite a few years then it was dismissed (and rightfully so as most "rumors" should be), however this one is true. BUT, the arguments and concerns were quickly quelled as Dave and Coran promised the rest of the band they would also go into the studio for a new album beginning the following year which is I believe why Tim had said one time that there was a plan for an '04 D&T tour but it didn't happen, probably because Dave had to appease the rest of the band and go in the studio with them so management scrapped the D&T '04 idea.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #27624
patsfan39

Wild. Also strange the crew member ran up the back steps to Carter or Leroi or something. Probably innocently asked the question too but just an odd move.

Is there any info if this is before N1 or N2? Im watching the video of Hartford N2 and carter seems to be as jovial with Dave as ever. I know people said the band was PISSED, but im not really noticing it from the video. Perhaps its all an act since after all it is show business.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 01-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #27625
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Had old were you in 2003?

The dm&f tour may have taken trey further down the path, but the phish breakup was put into motion in Vegas ‘04. That is when the ultimatum came. Also, Mike said, “no.”
Very young, I was only a freshman in high school, so my info on this is mainly from the Peter Puterbaugh Biography. Trey was in a bad place long before the D+F tour, and I'm sure that only helped fuel his habits. He got sober in early '03 and really into Yoga and everything and had seemed to turn the corner, but the summer tour that year, he started to relapse.

To quote from the book,
"Looking back in 2005, Anastasio admitted that Phish came back too soon (in 2002 after the first hiatus) and for all the wrong reasons. They came back to support the hundreds of crew and staff members who were relying on that tour income, not because they were healthy and ready"
Old 01-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #27626
gweeps
homesick android

I also wonder how pissed they really were. After all, they had to have expected Dave would tour the album since it was definitely going to be more popular than Boyd's effort.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #27627
Fan#41

I can't speak on how the band was feeling, I just know there were some arguments, but it didn't really go beyond that weekend.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #27628
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I also wonder how pissed they really were. After all, they had to have expected Dave would tour the album since it was definitely going to be more popular than Boyd's effort.
Probably just a little ticked that they weren't told sooner. Maybe they were planning/hoping for a fall/winter '03 tour. Clearly it was over quick, because they came together in Sept for one of their best months ever.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #27629
patsfan39

I thought the story goes they heard they thought the venues were being booked, but everyone assumed it was for a dmb tour. Then the hammer was dropped on them, "guys im playing with Tim & Trey plus a new rhythm section"

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 01-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #27630
Fan#41

From my understanding, the day off between SPAC and Hartford '03, a few key crew guys were working on a new lighting rig and testing it. I don't know WHY they did it in Hartford, maybe it was because of convenience and they could partially test it at the civic center which was already booked for the tour. Anyway, one of the crew guys who wasn't directly involved figured out what it was for and then spilled the beans to one or two of the other guys and the only other solid fact that I know is a few hours before N1 Hartford there was a closed door band meeting and no one walked out of there happy.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #27631
patsfan39

Appreciate the info. What a different time that was.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 01-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #27632
SomeDevil17

Wasn’t Roi the one that was pretty upset? Something about them feeling like those were songs the band could’ve played on.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #27633
patsfan39

It kinda makes sense why dave did something separate from the band. He just wanted total creative control of it and not have to try get the band to do what he wants. He’s mentioned he never was one to really take control of the band so of course he created something else where he would totally be in charge. Someone like that probably wouldn’t be totally open with people about how he’s going off to do his own thing too.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 PM   #27634
dmb2much40

Hard to believe Roi was too upset. I remember Dave saying in an interview that Roi was the only one who congratulated him on the album.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #27635
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Wasn’t Roi the one that was pretty upset? Something about them feeling like those were songs the band could’ve played on.
The story had always been that dave brought some of the songs to the band first and they passed on them.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #27636
SomeDevil17

Quote:
The story had always been that dave brought some of the songs to the band first and they passed on them.
I think this is what I am actually recalling thanks Jack.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #27637
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Shows the band gravedigger “and we are going to put it on the album twice”
Old 01-13-2021, 10:37 PM   #27638
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
And now they've played:

Save Me
Gravedigger
Stay or Leave
So Damn Lucky
Oh
Some Devil

Maybe Dodo was the one song they got hung up on?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #27639
Aparker507

I thought watching the Dave and Carter sessions..... They have a somewhat weird way of talking to each other. Almost like...... They don't really talk much outside of the band, and it was kinda awkward.

Maybe that's just their relationship and way of talking to each other, but another buddy of mine noticed it as well.

Carter seems really cool, but very reserved and "professional" maybe?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #27640
Tomacco

Yeah, Carter really barely said a word. He just laughed a lot for the most part.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc