These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #14781
beitsaad
it must have been the roses
 
beitsaad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: America, I love you!
Posts: 11,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Honest question. Can you be concerned and call something out without being "outraged"? Can you have a fucking imagination, see patterns, and look past the next hour and not be "outraged"?

I guess if you don't just go with the "aw shucks" Goofy gif response you're "outraged".
fair, you can, but when it goes on and follows the tucker type talking poin it looks like outrage, probably the way text comes across i guess...i don't know..but i see your point, not everything is 'outrage'.
__________________
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong
beitsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #14782
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 19,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
I honestly haven't read the new law in detail, but can anyone educate me on how it's discrimnitory? Are there any excerpts that you can post here. I'm genuinely curious.
Sure, I'll google for you, and provide details of the worst parts:





[Only registered users can see links.]

  • Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
  • There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
  • It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
  • Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
  • Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
  • Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
  • Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.
  • If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.
  • If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
  • With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
  • Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).
  • With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
  • The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
  • The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
  • The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
  • Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.


--------
There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.


Previously, Georgia law required voters to simply sign their absentee ballot applications. Now they will have to provide the number from a driver’s license or an equivalent state-issued identification. This is virtually certain to limit access to absentee voting.
The law also creates pitfalls for voters: If they fail to follow all the new steps, like printing a date of birth or in some cases including partial Social Security numbers, their ballots could be tossed out. Mr. Trump’s lawyers and allies urged judges and Republican officials last year to invalidate some ballots that were out of compliance. Stringent voter-ID laws in other states have depressed voting mostly among people of color.

----------

Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.


These new strict rules on early voting hours are likely to curtail voting access for Georgians who work daytime hours or have less flexible schedules and who may be unable to return an absentee ballot.[...]


The law doesn’t require the availability of early voting on Sundays, which means that counties can choose whether to open for early voting on up to two Sundays before an election.
Counties that choose not to open on Sundays would be limiting ballot access for parishioners at Black churches that have [Only registered users can see links.] after Sunday services.
----------

Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.

Perhaps no provision in the Georgia law has received more attention than this one, which effectively bars third-party groups or anyone else who is not an election worker from providing food and water to voters waiting in line. Republicans defended the provision, saying it is enforceable only within a 150-foot radius of polling places. Civil rights groups note that it also prevents assistance “within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.”

Long lines for voting in Georgia are an unfortunate reality, and are often found in the poorer, densely populated communities that tend to vote Democratic. During the primary election last June, when temperatures hovered above 80 degrees with high humidity, multiple voting locations across the state [Only registered users can see links.] .


Numerous studies have shown that long lines deter people from voting
---------------
Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding


Last year, as election officials faced countless challenges trying to hold voting during a pandemic, funding for the November general election became tied up in [Only registered users can see links.] over the second stimulus package.


Many local election jurisdictions in Georgia and other states, particularly those in poorer urban areas, turned to outside philanthropic groups like the Center for Tech and Civic Life, a nonprofit organization funded by Mark Zuckerberg that helped counties pay for their elections in 2020. Now Georgia has eliminated that option.
------------
The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.

Another power play by Republican state lawmakers. Tensions have long simmered between state and county election officials in Georgia, particularly in Fulton County, the largest Democratic hub in the state, where officials say they have been targeted and deprived of support by Republicans at the state level. Election officials in Fulton County, for their part, have had their historical share of mistakes and mismanagement.


Now the State Election Board, newly influenced by the partisan Legislature, will have the power to suspend county election officials.
[...]


mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #14783
beitsaad
it must have been the roses
 
beitsaad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: America, I love you!
Posts: 11,899
What in that is discrimnitory?
__________________
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong
beitsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #14784
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 19,126
First off, discriminatory is not my word. It's prohibitive of voting and prohibitive of free and fair elections.

Second, what was discriminatory about a poll tax? What was discriminatory about a literacy test?

Jim Crow laws didn't prohibit Blacks from voting. They simply provided the tools that could be applied to prohibit blacks from voting. Same here.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #14785
beitsaad
it must have been the roses
 
beitsaad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: America, I love you!
Posts: 11,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
First off, discriminatory is not my word. It's prohibitive of voting and prohibitive of free and fair elections.

Second, what was discriminatory about a poll tax? What was discriminatory about a literacy test?

Jim Crow laws didn't prohibit Blacks from voting. They simply provided the tools that could be applied to prohibit blacks from voting. Same here.
ok, then explain to me how the above list is comparable to poll taxes and literacy tests. Explain to me how the list you gave could be applied to prohibit anyone from voting. Maybe I just don't see it as you, but rather than just give some list, explain to me how this is prohibitive of voting.
__________________
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong
beitsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #14786
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 19,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by beitsaad View Post
ok, then explain to me how the above list is comparable to poll taxes and literacy tests. Explain to me how the list you gave could be applied to prohibit anyone from voting. Maybe I just don't see it as you, but rather than just give some list, explain to me how this is prohibitive of voting.

If you need an explanation of how:
  • Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
  • There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
  • It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
  • Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
  • Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
  • If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.
  • If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
are prohibitive of voting, there's no good faith conversation to be had here.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #14787
DMBCLSTJ
 
DMBCLSTJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Sure, I'll google for you, and provide details of the worst parts:





[Only registered users can see links.]

  • Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
  • There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
  • It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
  • Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
  • Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
  • Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
  • Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.
  • If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.
  • If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
  • With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
  • Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).
  • With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
  • The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
  • The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
  • The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
  • Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.


--------
There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.


Previously, Georgia law required voters to simply sign their absentee ballot applications. Now they will have to provide the number from a driver’s license or an equivalent state-issued identification. This is virtually certain to limit access to absentee voting.
The law also creates pitfalls for voters: If they fail to follow all the new steps, like printing a date of birth or in some cases including partial Social Security numbers, their ballots could be tossed out. Mr. Trump’s lawyers and allies urged judges and Republican officials last year to invalidate some ballots that were out of compliance. Stringent voter-ID laws in other states have depressed voting mostly among people of color.

----------

Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.


These new strict rules on early voting hours are likely to curtail voting access for Georgians who work daytime hours or have less flexible schedules and who may be unable to return an absentee ballot.[...]


The law doesn’t require the availability of early voting on Sundays, which means that counties can choose whether to open for early voting on up to two Sundays before an election.
Counties that choose not to open on Sundays would be limiting ballot access for parishioners at Black churches that have [Only registered users can see links.] after Sunday services.
----------

Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.

Perhaps no provision in the Georgia law has received more attention than this one, which effectively bars third-party groups or anyone else who is not an election worker from providing food and water to voters waiting in line. Republicans defended the provision, saying it is enforceable only within a 150-foot radius of polling places. Civil rights groups note that it also prevents assistance “within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.”

Long lines for voting in Georgia are an unfortunate reality, and are often found in the poorer, densely populated communities that tend to vote Democratic. During the primary election last June, when temperatures hovered above 80 degrees with high humidity, multiple voting locations across the state [Only registered users can see links.] .


Numerous studies have shown that long lines deter people from voting
---------------
Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding


Last year, as election officials faced countless challenges trying to hold voting during a pandemic, funding for the November general election became tied up in [Only registered users can see links.] over the second stimulus package.


Many local election jurisdictions in Georgia and other states, particularly those in poorer urban areas, turned to outside philanthropic groups like the Center for Tech and Civic Life, a nonprofit organization funded by Mark Zuckerberg that helped counties pay for their elections in 2020. Now Georgia has eliminated that option.
------------
The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.

Another power play by Republican state lawmakers. Tensions have long simmered between state and county election officials in Georgia, particularly in Fulton County, the largest Democratic hub in the state, where officials say they have been targeted and deprived of support by Republicans at the state level. Election officials in Fulton County, for their part, have had their historical share of mistakes and mismanagement.


Now the State Election Board, newly influenced by the partisan Legislature, will have the power to suspend county election officials.
[...]


First off, thanks for this.

Overall I really don't see the outrage its recieving. Certainly some power play moves by Republicans, no doubt.

On ID requirements, I don't really have an issue. If you don't read the instructions, assuming they are clear and concise, and don't put required information, then it stands to reason that vote doesn't count.

Sunday voting is relatively new, I don't know a soul that votes on Sunday's or even has that option to begin with so that seems to be a moot point. As far as restricted hours, we will have to see what they reduce them to. Our voting district all are open from 7 to 7 on voting day and early voting as well. If they are talking about closing them at 5, I see that as a big issue.

The Water/Food thing isn't really relevant. Bring your own food and beverage if you anticipate long lines. Georgia has a wait time site so you can check ahead of time. Personally I waited 15 minutes to vote last year, but I do acknowledge some areas had long wait times, because well, people went on the first 2 days of early voting which is always a mistake.

Just a few thoughts of mine. I know there are other perceived issues and I know you won't agree with me here but this is just how I feel. The outrage seems unfounded other than a few questionable changes, the restricted hours for one. I'll need to read more into this as well.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #14788
rev fig
wtfau?
 
rev fig's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Are there, really? This is a boomer "free market" conservative take. The "free market" that's in lock-step with leftist politics.
This is straight out of MGT's "Corporate Communism" language guide.

Quote:
Government policy arrives downstream of the culture
That's what this really comes down to, right? You are vehemently opposed to the idea that transgendered people exist and that companies may value diversity; these things animate you far, far more than actual government policy. So you find a post-hoc rationale for why its okay to base your political identity around arguing against non-political actors.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.
the chances of there not being live in the universe anywhere but earth is astoundingly low. like 1 in 1^10000000000000000.
rev fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #14789
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 28,280
Biden and co. already talking compromise on corporate tax increases for the infrastructure plan.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #14790
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 19,126
[Only registered users can see links.]
Gaetz sent two Venmo transactions amounting to $900 to accused sex trafficker Joel Greenberg in May 2018.

He labeled the first transaction “test” and the second transaction “hit up _____,” with the alleged nickname of a young woman.

Greenberg later sent money to three girls labeled as “Tuition,” “School” and “School" that totaled $900.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #14791
zaphod!
for josh:
 
zaphod!'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 22,849
i bet you the Q people are going just apeshit over this. right? ... right?
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #14792
beitsaad
it must have been the roses
 
beitsaad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: America, I love you!
Posts: 11,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i bet you the Q people are going just apeshit over this. right? ... right?
Well it was supposed to be related to Epstein stuff, so this is coming out of left field....but maybe, just maybe, it is coming from Epstein and he's still alive and telling the cops everything!
__________________
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong
beitsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #14793
DMBCLSTJ
 
DMBCLSTJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i bet you the Q people are going just apeshit over this. right? ... right?
But Q people don't believe things on the internet, right?
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #14794
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 19,126
When you put the NCAA up on the moral high ground... my gawd


mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.13266 seconds with 15 queries