These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #27741
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
I agree with much of what has been said here, but the big three albums feature songs credited to Dave as the only "writer". The process seems to always have been Dave bringing his tunes to the band and then the band creating their parts, but after ED, the band has been restricted so much in the studio that they seem non-existent.
Boyd and others have mentioned in interviews before that they used to write a lot together as a group, especially at soundchecks. For example, 41 was written on the fly by jamming, starting as 41 police and morphing into #41. Same for Proudest Monkey. All the '00 songs started as jams with no lyrics, Dave improv'd most of them for the entire summer that year. Same for the '04 songs.

Dave is credited as the writer because he eventually writes all the lyrics, and usually the base/foundation of the song. He may come in with a riff or specific sections constructed, but pre-00 most of the ideas he brought to the band were not fully fleshed out. It seems to be the opposite now, where the full song is 100% complete and he just asks the band to make up parts. It didn't work great with ED, and it hasn't worked great since BW. Even during BW, the band did a lot of jamming to form the foundation of most of those songs, that's why they had stuff like "Grux" laying around to throw onto the intro of the album. BTCS was written almost entirely in the studio together with the band, Stefan has writing credits on there, as do others.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #27742
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

At this point, there should be a comprehensive b-sides / rarities compilation with all the good and bad. There’s absolutely no point in rehashing /shoehorning old recordings into a new session.

I’d MUCH rather take a gamble on a fresh set of songs. The concept of DMB seems basically antiquated at this point, if not plain dead. It’s not coming back. There is no way this band will please the masses in the studio. It’s essentially Dave & Friends from here out which just kind of is what it is. I can’t see Dave putting up with any kind of tension to tease out better material from the group. I foresee largely celebratory, happy go lucky recordings in the future, unless major life events throw things out of whack. Honestly seems like holding out hope for anything transcendent is a huge waste of energy.

I bet we do get this latest collection. At least it shouldn’t feel like a hatchet job.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #27743
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
At this point, there should be a comprehensive b-sides / rarities compilation with all the good and bad. Thereís absolutely no point in rehashing /shoehorning old recordings into a new session.

Iíd MUCH rather take a gamble on a fresh set of songs. The concept of DMB seems basically antiquated at this point, if not plain dead. Itís not coming back. There is no way this band will please the masses in the studio. Itís essentially Dave & Friends from here out which just kind of is what it is. I canít see Dave putting up with any kind of tension to tease out better material from the group. I foresee largely celebratory, happy go lucky recordings in the future, unless major life events throw things out of whack. Honestly seems like holding out hope for anything transcendent is a huge waste of energy.

I bet we do get this latest collection. At least it shouldnít feel like a hatchet job.
I'm looking forward to a new set of songs regardless. I don't want anything old. Let's see what they've got.
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #27744
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Boyd and others have mentioned in interviews before that they used to write a lot together as a group, especially at soundchecks. For example, 41 was written on the fly by jamming, starting as 41 police and morphing into #41. Same for Proudest Monkey. All the '00 songs started as jams with no lyrics, Dave improv'd most of them for the entire summer that year. Same for the '04 songs.

Dave is credited as the writer because he eventually writes all the lyrics, and usually the base/foundation of the song. He may come in with a riff or specific sections constructed, but pre-00 most of the ideas he brought to the band were not fully fleshed out. It seems to be the opposite now, where the full song is 100% complete and he just asks the band to make up parts. It didn't work great with ED, and it hasn't worked great since BW. Even during BW, the band did a lot of jamming to form the foundation of most of those songs, that's why they had stuff like "Grux" laying around to throw onto the intro of the album. BTCS was written almost entirely in the studio together with the band, Stefan has writing credits on there, as do others.
i think there were definitely examples of the band writing some good stuff together, but i think most of the good stuff from the big 3 was Dave Solo tunes.

Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Recently
Seek Up
BOWA
LIOG
Tripping Billies
STJL
Two Step
Say Goodbye
Satellite (after her)

All were Dave solo tunes before being played with the band.

As for the 2000 & BTCS tunes being written as a band, i reject that as well:

Captain
Bartender
JTR
Busted Stuff
Grey Street
Digging a Ditch
Raven
Halloween
DDTW (Leave me Praying)
Pig

All were either played by D&T or long before the Lillywhite sessions or the studio sessions for BTCS

I will give you songs like the following sound like band creations but they all have a strong Dave guitar part which is essential to making them a classic DMB tune.

SUAD
Kit Kat Jam
DIDO
Proudest Monkey (sounds like dave came up with a riff and said "roi play something over this")
Rapunzel
Dreaming Tree
Too Much
Crash (im not totally convinced this isnt just a dave solo tune)
WWYS

Whos to say most of these riffs and writing ideas were things dave had played with for years on his own. I think the point is, he used to go back and draw from his previous creations, now he tries to come up with new stuff and the band doesnt really bring anything along too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #27745
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
i think there were definitely examples of the band writing some good stuff together, but i think most of the good stuff from the big 3 was Dave Solo tunes.

Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Recently
Seek Up
BOWA
LIOG
Tripping Billies
STJL
Two Step
Say Goodbye
Satellite (after her)

All were Dave solo tunes before being played with the band.

As for the 2000 & BTCS tunes being written as a band, i reject that as well:

Captain
Bartender
JTR
Busted Stuff
Grey Street
Digging a Ditch
Raven
Halloween
DDTW (Leave me Praying)
Pig

All were either played by D&T or long before the Lillywhite sessions or the studio sessions for BTCS

I will give you songs like the following sound like band creations but they all have a strong Dave guitar part which is essential to making them a classic DMB tune.

SUAD
Kit Kat Jam
DIDO
Proudest Monkey (sounds like dave came up with a riff and said "roi play something over this")
Rapunzel
Dreaming Tree
Too Much
Crash (im not totally convinced this isnt just a dave solo tune)
WWYS

Whos to say most of these riffs and writing ideas were things dave had played with for years on his own. I think the point is, he used to go back and draw from his previous creations, now he tries to come up with new stuff and the band doesnt really bring anything along too.
To say the band itself has been disappointing post 2000 is an understatement.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #27746
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Been saying this since 2001.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #27747
willndmb

Quote:
yeah

to go off the other thread about refunds.
If they were to offer refunds/100% refund for 2020 > 21 and I took it, there is a huge chance I would buy less shows for sure.

I think they would be better off doing a short term refund option like last yr and if I decide to stay then it is on me to dump in the future.
Even if the plan was to raise prices, which I am sure it is by design or otherwise.
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #27748
jsandr

Quote:
I'm looking forward to a new set of songs regardless. I don't want anything old. Let's see what they've got.
Agreed.

That said, eventually there will be a huge bsides / rareities box set/ archives series. That will have a place somewhere. Probably a ton of garbage but some good stuff mixed in. I just donít want to see old material tossed in with new anymore. I think CT overall was just an abomination of the traditional album concept.

Good or bad, a fresh collection of songs written approximately together seems like best case scenario.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #27749
jsandr

Also, I think Dave (with or without the band) should team up with Daniel Lanois for an album at some point. Seems like a natural fit, no?
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #27750
.Gary.

Quote:
Also, I think Dave (with or without the band) should team up with Daniel Lanois for an album at some point. Seems like a natural fit, no?
The irony behind Boyd is that he embodied that uniqueness of the DMB sound. Now they just sound like any old group trying to play "rock" or whatever they think "rock" is supposed to sound like.

She? You know, that hot garbage song? What the fuck is that?

That last album was how I envision DMB making an album during their twilight years.

Here's some shit we did at one time NOW remixed, enjoy.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #27751
JoyRider

Quote:
This is my only remaining wish for Dave and/or the band at this point in the career. I was hopeful after Lanois joined the Caravan back in 2011 -- but then Lillywhite was announced, so who could complain?

Check out Lanois on Maron's podcast from this week. Really inside-production stories from his time with Eno, U2, Gabriel, Dylan, Young and more.
JoyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #27752
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post

The problem today is that this version of the band no longer has as many lead voices. LeRoi would as a melody or bring some type of changes to a jam that would inspire Carter. Today, Jeff is just employed by dmb and Rashawn doesnít have a very creative ear or at least his jazz sensibilities are very different from LeRois. So really, we just get a strong rhythm section laying down behind dave without anyone really bringing it to the next level.
I think this is a great way to articulate what many people miss about the band.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #27753
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

I suppose the true travesty of ED, even if 20 years later fans have grown to at least enjoy the album, is that it did two things that seemed to have a lasting effect on the band; it dumbed down Dave’s songwriting, and it reduced the band to an almost muted rhythm section playing tight pop/rock songs. So for me, I don’t really care who writes the songs per say, but it would be nice if Dave dug deeper, and the band allowed themselves the space to really have a presence on an album. Otherwise we’re just gonna keep getting dave solo albums.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc