These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #101
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
totally agree. makes me go back to that Summer tour in 2000 to rekindle the love I had for Grey Street. Leroi is such an important part of the song (as is the 12 string obviously). what a time back then...
Man, that Taylor 12 String was magic. Loved it on JTR, Grey Street, Bartender etc. Sounded so good. Even on the Folsom Field release too. He doesn't play that one anymore correct? He uses Rockbridge specifically for 6 and 12 string now right? (Obviously he has the bartione and the veillette ones for other stuff).
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #102
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!
 
DIDO36's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Man, that Taylor 12 String was magic. Loved it on JTR, Grey Street, Bartender etc. Sounded so good. Even on the Folsom Field release too. He doesn't play that one anymore correct? He uses Rockbridge specifically for 6 and 12 string now right? (Obviously he has the bartione and the veillette ones for other stuff).
He used the Taylor 12 up until mid 2014. In 2016 he used the Taylor 12 for Last Stop and maybe a few Bartender performances. He used it because it was his drop d 12 string. Now he uses Rockbridge exclusively for anything acoustic I believe.

They aren’t my favorite. I miss the Taylors so much.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #103
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,594
Dave played the 3rd verse of Grey Street!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i've never known him to play A/C# there. you sure you're not thinking of Grace is Gone?

I very well may be thinking of GIG, youíre right.

Perhaps Iíve been using that chord in both tunes all this time. Leading to the minor third of the Bm in GS, leading tone into the D of GIG. Just my own flair, I guess.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #104
willndmb
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 5,483
uploading now, give it till about 3:45 to ensure it is 100% complete
Blu-ray with fixed audio will be up for a few days. Can't torrent it since it is "web" source
[Only registered users can see links.]
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #105
klillyblad
 
klillyblad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 493
Thanks so much Will. I added your audio source to the [Only registered users can see links.] .
__________________
Kim
klillyblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #106
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution
 
JamSession v2.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 16,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
dmb posted about the messed up audio on instagram in a pretty funny post with Dave. Interestingly they hashtagged the post #thirdverse
I had a good laugh.
__________________
-Ryan
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #107
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 23,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
uploading now, give it till about 3:45 to ensure it is 100% complete
Blu-ray with fixed audio will be up for a few days. Can't torrent it since it is "web" source
[Only registered users can see links.]
Thank you! Great rip.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #108
zaphod!
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 21,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I very well may be thinking of GIG, youíre right.

Perhaps Iíve been using that chord in both tunes all this time. Leading to the minor third of the Bm in GS, leading tone into the D of GIG. Just my own flair, I guess.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #109
mja271
 
mja271's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 9,212
Wow somehow missed this, never thought I'd see the day. While I know the gist of Grey Street is generally the same with the 2 verses, losing the 3rd verse really hurts the song imo. Structurally it's all about the chorus building with more lines each time through which makes that last chorus "using colors bold and bright..." hit that much harder and really provide the big catharsis the song deserves. It gets to the peak too quick with only 2 verses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Paul Bearer was Kane's father, but not Undertaker's. Taker killed his parents in a funeral home fire, but Bearer knocked up Undertaker's mom with Kane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #110
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,887
Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother? I love that verse on the album, and think lyrically it's among Dave's best verses..but it's honestly never been a deal breaker for me that it's gone.

I'm more annoyed about how the song sounds and how it's played now than anything else. It's played too fast, too loud, too rock and not allowing Jeff to solo by himself on it at the end is a huge disservice. That's all much worse than the 3rd verse missing to me.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #111
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother?
Yessir
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #112
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 27,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother? I love that verse on the album, and think lyrically it's among Dave's best verses..but it's honestly never been a deal breaker for me that it's gone.

I'm more annoyed about how the song sounds and how it's played now than anything else. It's played too fast, too loud, too rock and not allowing Jeff to solo by himself on it at the end is a huge disservice. That's all much worse than the 3rd verse missing to me.
I sort of think that it's one and the same. The missing third verse always had a bit of a quieter feel. There's a reason that traditional folk music has three verses. It's a natural way of telling a story - introduction, main body, and conclusion. The storytelling also is mirrored in the dynamics of music. Our culture is molded around a tripartite relationship of parts. The missing third verse negates the necessity for dynamic and paves the way for the new DMB to rifle through it with volume.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #113
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I sort of think that it's one and the same. The missing third verse always had a bit of a quieter feel. There's a reason that traditional folk music has three verses. It's a natural way of telling a story - introduction, main body, and conclusion. The storytelling also is mirrored in the dynamics of music. Our culture is molded around a tripartite relationship of parts. The missing third verse negates the necessity for dynamic and paves the way for the new DMB to rifle through it with volume.
Yeah I agree and understand all that, I just personally am I not annoyed just because I don't hear a few lines. I get that it's a better song with it there, but it's not going to ruin my day.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:54 AM   #114
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!
 
DIDO36's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother? I love that verse on the album, and think lyrically it's among Dave's best verses..but it's honestly never been a deal breaker for me that it's gone.

I'm more annoyed about how the song sounds and how it's played now than anything else. It's played too fast, too loud, too rock and not allowing Jeff to solo by himself on it at the end is a huge disservice. That's all much worse than the 3rd verse missing to me.
The 3rd verse makes the song so much better, and it should have been back long before now. I’m glad it did eventually come back though. I agree that the music isn’t great anymore. I cannot stand what Rashawn does to this song. Also, I can’t stand how loud Tim is on the song. Only Jeff needs to solo, and he needs to take a more laid back in the pocket approach like Roi. Even in 2003 when the 3rd verse was missing, the music still had some redeeming elements. Over the years the music got worse, by 2012 it was completely ruined, and payed at a ridiculously fast pace.

2000 and 2001 were the best years for the song. The improve lyrics were usually money.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #115
somf4eva
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
2000 and 2001 were the best years for the song. The improve lyrics were usually money.
The different version from those years are one my favorite things to go back and listen to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
The band is just jerking off on our faces right now...and I am proud to be a dirty whore.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #116
dmb2much40
 
dmb2much40's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 5,544
In honor of the third verse coming back, I thought I'd share my favorite Grey Street performances.

7/12/00 (when flowers bloom in the desert...): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/19/00 (Noah's ark): [Only registered users can see links.]

9/04/00 (w/Bela Fleck): [Only registered users can see links.]

8/03/01 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/23/04 (w/Jamal Millner): [Only registered users can see links.]

6/13/05 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
-Monica
dmb2much40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #117
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I sort of think that it's one and the same. The missing third verse always had a bit of a quieter feel. There's a reason that traditional folk music has three verses. It's a natural way of telling a story - introduction, main body, and conclusion. The storytelling also is mirrored in the dynamics of music. Our culture is molded around a tripartite relationship of parts. The missing third verse negates the necessity for dynamic and paves the way for the new DMB to rifle through it with volume.
This is really a fantastic post. Nothing to add other than to agree entirely.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #118
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 18,572
Thanks Monica. 7/12/00 is a personal favorite. I think that's the one Dave breaks a string on too.

8/25/01 is nuts too. Great one.
__________________
Currently listening to:
Live Trax 31: 6/23/01, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront Camden, NJ
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #119
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 27,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
This is really a fantastic post. Nothing to add other than to agree entirely.
Thanks dood
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #120
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
In honor of the third verse coming back, I thought I'd share my favorite Grey Street performances.

7/12/00 (when flowers bloom in the desert...): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/19/00 (Noah's ark): [Only registered users can see links.]

9/04/00 (w/Bela Fleck): [Only registered users can see links.]

8/03/01 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/23/04 (w/Jamal Millner): [Only registered users can see links.]

6/13/05 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks for these!!
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05254 seconds with 17 queries