These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #101
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
totally agree. makes me go back to that Summer tour in 2000 to rekindle the love I had for Grey Street. Leroi is such an important part of the song (as is the 12 string obviously). what a time back then...
Man, that Taylor 12 String was magic. Loved it on JTR, Grey Street, Bartender etc. Sounded so good. Even on the Folsom Field release too. He doesn't play that one anymore correct? He uses Rockbridge specifically for 6 and 12 string now right? (Obviously he has the bartione and the veillette ones for other stuff).
Old 04-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #102
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Man, that Taylor 12 String was magic. Loved it on JTR, Grey Street, Bartender etc. Sounded so good. Even on the Folsom Field release too. He doesn't play that one anymore correct? He uses Rockbridge specifically for 6 and 12 string now right? (Obviously he has the bartione and the veillette ones for other stuff).
He used the Taylor 12 up until mid 2014. In 2016 he used the Taylor 12 for Last Stop and maybe a few Bartender performances. He used it because it was his drop d 12 string. Now he uses Rockbridge exclusively for anything acoustic I believe.

They aren’t my favorite. I miss the Taylors so much.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #103
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Dave played the 3rd verse of Grey Street!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i've never known him to play A/C# there. you sure you're not thinking of Grace is Gone?

I very well may be thinking of GIG, youíre right.

Perhaps Iíve been using that chord in both tunes all this time. Leading to the minor third of the Bm in GS, leading tone into the D of GIG. Just my own flair, I guess.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #104
willndmb

uploading now, give it till about 3:45 to ensure it is 100% complete
Blu-ray with fixed audio will be up for a few days. Can't torrent it since it is "web" source
[Only registered users can see links.]
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #105
klillyblad

Thanks so much Will. I added your audio source to the [Only registered users can see links.] .
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #106
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
dmb posted about the messed up audio on instagram in a pretty funny post with Dave. Interestingly they hashtagged the post #thirdverse
I had a good laugh.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #107
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
uploading now, give it till about 3:45 to ensure it is 100% complete
Blu-ray with fixed audio will be up for a few days. Can't torrent it since it is "web" source
[Only registered users can see links.]
Thank you! Great rip.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #108
zaphod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I very well may be thinking of GIG, youíre right.

Perhaps Iíve been using that chord in both tunes all this time. Leading to the minor third of the Bm in GS, leading tone into the D of GIG. Just my own flair, I guess.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #109
mja271

Wow somehow missed this, never thought I'd see the day. While I know the gist of Grey Street is generally the same with the 2 verses, losing the 3rd verse really hurts the song imo. Structurally it's all about the chorus building with more lines each time through which makes that last chorus "using colors bold and bright..." hit that much harder and really provide the big catharsis the song deserves. It gets to the peak too quick with only 2 verses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #110
greykitkat36

Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother? I love that verse on the album, and think lyrically it's among Dave's best verses..but it's honestly never been a deal breaker for me that it's gone.

I'm more annoyed about how the song sounds and how it's played now than anything else. It's played too fast, too loud, too rock and not allowing Jeff to solo by himself on it at the end is a huge disservice. That's all much worse than the 3rd verse missing to me.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #111
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother?
Yessir
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #112
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Am I the only one that the omission doesn't bother? I love that verse on the album, and think lyrically it's among Dave's best verses..but it's honestly never been a deal breaker for me that it's gone.

I'm more annoyed about how the song sounds and how it's played now than anything else. It's played too fast, too loud, too rock and not allowing Jeff to solo by himself on it at the end is a huge disservice. That's all much worse than the 3rd verse missing to me.
I sort of think that it's one and the same. The missing third verse always had a bit of a quieter feel. There's a reason that traditional folk music has three verses. It's a natural way of telling a story - introduction, main body, and conclusion. The storytelling also is mirrored in the dynamics of music. Our culture is molded around a tripartite relationship of parts. The missing third verse negates the necessity for dynamic and paves the way for the new DMB to rifle through it with volume.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #113
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I sort of think that it's one and the same. The missing third verse always had a bit of a quieter feel. There's a reason that traditional folk music has three verses. It's a natural way of telling a story - introduction, main body, and conclusion. The storytelling also is mirrored in the dynamics of music. Our culture is molded around a tripartite relationship of parts. The missing third verse negates the necessity for dynamic and paves the way for the new DMB to rifle through it with volume.
Yeah I agree and understand all that, I just personally am I not annoyed just because I don't hear a few lines. I get that it's a better song with it there, but it's not going to ruin my day.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:54 AM   #114
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!

Quote:

The 3rd verse makes the song so much better, and it should have been back long before now. I’m glad it did eventually come back though. I agree that the music isn’t great anymore. I cannot stand what Rashawn does to this song. Also, I can’t stand how loud Tim is on the song. Only Jeff needs to solo, and he needs to take a more laid back in the pocket approach like Roi. Even in 2003 when the 3rd verse was missing, the music still had some redeeming elements. Over the years the music got worse, by 2012 it was completely ruined, and payed at a ridiculously fast pace.

2000 and 2001 were the best years for the song. The improve lyrics were usually money.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #115
somf4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
2000 and 2001 were the best years for the song. The improve lyrics were usually money.
The different version from those years are one my favorite things to go back and listen to.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #116
dmb2much40

In honor of the third verse coming back, I thought I'd share my favorite Grey Street performances.

7/12/00 (when flowers bloom in the desert...): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/19/00 (Noah's ark): [Only registered users can see links.]

9/04/00 (w/Bela Fleck): [Only registered users can see links.]

8/03/01 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/23/04 (w/Jamal Millner): [Only registered users can see links.]

6/13/05 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 04-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #117
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
This is really a fantastic post. Nothing to add other than to agree entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #118
sean52692
You failed this band

Thanks Monica. 7/12/00 is a personal favorite. I think that's the one Dave breaks a string on too.

8/25/01 is nuts too. Great one.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #119
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
This is really a fantastic post. Nothing to add other than to agree entirely.
Thanks dood
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #120
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
In honor of the third verse coming back, I thought I'd share my favorite Grey Street performances.

7/12/00 (when flowers bloom in the desert...): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/19/00 (Noah's ark): [Only registered users can see links.]

9/04/00 (w/Bela Fleck): [Only registered users can see links.]

8/03/01 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]

7/23/04 (w/Jamal Millner): [Only registered users can see links.]

6/13/05 (Roi jam): [Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks for these!!

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc