Vincent
Theologian

No openers again just blows.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #102
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
DMB has been trying to coordinate a Flecktones opening slot at Gorge for quite a few years now. This is a very big deal to me. I'm going to finally make it out to the gorge after 25 years.
You think Coffin will sit in with the Flecktones? I hope he leaves Ross with catering
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #103
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I didn’t see DMB in 2019. First year I’ve skipped entirely since I first saw them in 03. Feels strange. I’ll have to fly East to catch them with pops and my brothers this year and I think I might. Unless they’re willing to come out West after the break. They’re already trying to organize something in the family chat.

Also, I‘d put money on the fact that the Gorge 2020 will not be Josh’s last DMB show. Romantic notion, but false
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #104
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
DMB has been trying to coordinate a Flecktones opening slot at Gorge for quite a few years now. This is a very big deal to me. I'm going to finally make it out to the gorge after 25 years.
I wonder if they will be there all three days. If you could have a weekend of Bela / Flectones sit-ins, then I may start booking flights.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #105
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I wonder if they will be there all three days. If you could have a weekend of Bela / Flectones sit-ins, then I may start booking flights.
I wouldn't make that assumption. I think night 2 will be the sit-in. You're gonna get Robert Randolph both nights 2 and 3 though.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #106
greykitkat36

We all know very well that DMB usually doesn’t utlilize their potential guest spots like they could/should. Never have.

Flecktones were heavily underused at Randall’s years back. Also, Bela was at SPAC during those acoustic sets and they still only had him out on a couple tunes.

Probably only one night, and even if they are there all 3 nights, I wouldn’t go in thinking they’re gonna guest on all 3 shows. I’d go in with much lower expectations. And you might not even see Wooten come out, maybe only Bela. That’s what I’d go in expecting and hopefully be surprised they do more.

Regardless, it’s a hefty trip to make and the way the setlists at gorge have looked the last few years I think I’d be disappointed.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #107
DMBCLSTJ

Yeah, the Gorge shows would be nice if you didn't have to travel/camp/drive so far for the shows. The shows will be above average for current DMB but nothing groundbreaking, is it really worth the thousands of dollars? At age 36, nope.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #108
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I highly doubt the Tones will be showing up outside of N2
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #109
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Is it sad that I'm more excited to have Jeff sit in with the Flecktones than I am to have the Flecktones sit in with DMB this year?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #110
patsfan39

I think you guys are being a bit pessimistic. BUT, I think the mexico weekend a couple years ago is a good proxy for what will happen. Bela Fleck Trio opened N1 and he came out for 2 songs at the end of the set, then his band came out for 2 more. He wasnt seen for the rest of the weekend but there were guests each night (Carlos Malta & Brandi) when their respective bands opened. Thats my guess at least but the Flecktones have always had a different relationship with the band so who knows.

I do think the gorge gets great sets, and I think this year will be a special one. I mentioned it a few months back, but SPAC 2015 was pretty incredible when just Bela was there that weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #111
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I think you guys are being a bit pessimistic. BUT, I think the mexico weekend a couple years ago is a good proxy for what will happen. Bela Fleck Trio opened N1 and he came out for 2 songs at the end of the set, then his band came out for 2 more. He wasnt seen for the rest of the weekend but there were guests each night (Carlos Malta & Brandi) when their respective bands opened. Thats my guess at least but the Flecktones have always had a different relationship with the band so who knows.

I do think the gorge gets great sets, and I think this year will be a special one. I mentioned it a few months back, but SPAC 2015 was pretty incredible when just Bela was there that weekend.
That SPAC weekend were two of the greatest DMB shows I'd seen (100+ shows). What a weekend and performances. Everything was so loose.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #112
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post

The only problem I have with this is that Gorge set have not been above average for several years now. Unless the band makes a conscious effort to really open up the catalog again like they did in 2013, itís more of the same.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #113
ThememanXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
That SPAC weekend were two of the greatest DMB shows I'd seen (100+ shows). What a weekend and performances. Everything was so loose.
I'm glad I picked that year to go to SPAC for my first and only time.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #114
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I'm glad I picked that year to go to SPAC for my first and only time.
SPAC is almost always fantastic. I went only once as well in 2016 and those were two of my best shows I’ve ever seen as well. It’s just that energy in there is unparalleled. I’m sure gorge is the same, but to me SPAC gets sets that are equal if not better than Gorge the last several years, so hard to justify the trip when SPAC is only a 3 hr drive for me.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #115
ThememanXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
SPAC is almost always fantastic. I went only once as well in 2016 and those were two of my best shows Iíve ever seen as well. Itís just that energy in there is unparalleled. Iím sure gorge is the same, but to me SPAC gets sets that are equal if not better than Gorge the last several years, so hard to justify the trip when SPAC is only a 3 hr drive for me.
Oh absolutely. Like I said, if I had the ways and means, this would be the year for the Gorge, but it just isn't feasible for me at 35 with two young kids, bills, work, etc.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #116
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
Yeah, the Gorge shows would be nice if you didn't have to travel/camp/drive so far for the shows. The shows will be above average for current DMB but nothing groundbreaking, is it really worth the thousands of dollars? At age 36, nope.
This! The catalog is too saturated with shit, especially with this line up, to expect greatness at the Gorge. That said, the openers will be great, and there will definitely be a few great guest spots...that I can listen to at home or on a periscope.
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #117
greykitkat36

N3 at Gorge last year they started the show with Funny and That Girl Is You... I mean, I rest my case.

I could be eating my words come this fall, and hopefully I am, but I might be better off investing that $1000+ into something else. If I lived on the west coast Iíd be there for sure.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #118
Aparker507

Request in for AR

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #119
ThememanXX

Hot damn, over 500 bucks for 4 best available to one show. Not really anything new, but yeah, shit's expensive these days.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #120
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post
This! The catalog is too saturated with shit, especially with this line up, to expect greatness at the Gorge. That said, the openers will be great, and there will definitely be a few great guest spots...that I can listen to at home or on a periscope.
I'm just really not excited about what this band does anymore. It doesn't help when you listen to older shows ike LT 47 or DMB Live 25. I'll go to the one show in my backyard but that's it.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc