These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
batleon

Survivor 40: Winners at War (Feb 12)

Anybody still watch this show? If you fell off now would be a good time to join back in:
[Only registered users can see links.]

I was largely out on this show during the 20s but have seen the entire run of the 30s and I'm very excited for this season.

Hey Nick Crush, it's been ten years (A fucking decade!) since me, you, and Spence tossed around our opinions on Survivor in this thread:
[Only registered users can see links.]

I actually think of that thread frequently since getting back into the show (and it makes me wonder where Spence is now and if he still watches).
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
NiCK (Crush)

Fuck yes. Still never missed a season and cannot wait for this one.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
NiCK (Crush)

Also straight out of the gate Parvati is my pre-season pick to win. But with so much talent, it's truly anyone's game.

Except Sandra. There is no fucking way anyone lets her win a third time. They'd all be fools.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Also straight out of the gate Parvati is my pre-season pick to win. But with so much talent, it's truly anyone's game.

Except Sandra. There is no fucking way anyone lets her win a third time. They'd all be fools.
Dude just look at that thread I posted. We didn't think she could win twice either

But seriously I'm thinking so many of these big personalities are gonna tear at each other, a more run of the mill winner is probably going to take the prize here. Parvati has a big target on her back IMO.

Good for you for never missing a season, I was always very hot and cold with this show. I've seen more seasons than I've missed, and I've seen most of these winners' seasons, but I am actually trying to cram in Cook Islands, Philippines and Cagayan before this starts if I can (haven't seen any of those three and I know they're good).
Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
NiCK (Crush)

Man don't get me started on that second Sandra win. Russell, love him or hate him, is one of the best players all time and got robbed twice.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
celluloid hero

I love Survivor, and I am so stoked for this season. Have not missed an episode on TV since I started watching about halfway through season 1 after the Polaris 2000 tour openers.

The Sandra wins are an example the biggest problem with Survivor. With some exceptions, the mediocre are the ones who win. They always vote out the weakest, then vote out the strongest, and it leaves "what's left." Sometime a player is good enough, or has the right group of people that they can win. But probably 70% of the time, it rewards the average.

I saw Parvati at the VIP lounge at the CVille shows in Fall 2010. Super hot in person, too, with one of the best asses I've ever seen. Not really worth mentioning, but definitely worth mentioning.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
JimBeam41

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I love Survivor, and I am so stoked for this season. Have not missed an episode on TV since I started watching about halfway through season 1 after the Polaris 2000 tour openers.
I was at the Hershey 8/23/00 show and was nervous the Survivor finale would be spoiled for me as it aired that same night. Luckily it didn't.

Quote:
I saw Parvati at the VIP lounge at the CVille shows in Fall 2010. Super hot in person, too, with one of the best asses I've ever seen. Not really worth mentioning, but definitely worth mentioning.
This is good content here, lol. I think there was a pic of her in the PIT at maybe a Texas DMB show too?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
Josh.0

I legitimately had no idea this show still exists.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
NiCK (Crush)

Welcome Josh, enjoy the season.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Parvati has a big target on her back IMO.
I would aim right for that target, if you catch my drift...
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #11
batleon

Quote:
I would aim right for that target, if you catch my drift...

Parvati as DMB fan improves my view of her even more.

My view of Sandra has improved since HvV aired. I mean, I think it was a toss up between whether she or Parvati should have won when I look back at it and I understand why Sandra did, she knew what that jury of big Hero tribe egos wanted, and what they wanted was to hurt Russel and his biggest ally. Also underrated was Sandra finding that idol late in the season... she didn't need it for herself but Russel could have done some serious damage with it if he'd found it so as a defensive move, it was huge.

I don't completely agree that mediocre people always win, but it does happen. The show keeps doing things to try to shake that up, adding more idols and advantages, adding the fire making challenge, but honestly I don't see how that helps the "good" players. Fire making is often a toss up and the ability to find a trinket in a hole is something anyone can do, not just good players. This season is supposed to have "Fire Tokens" which I hope will be a way or really rewarding the people with good social and strategic games who actually need the help.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
celluloid hero

Quote:

Parvati as DMB fan improves my view of her even more.

I don't completely agree that mediocre people always win, but it does happen. The show keeps doing things to try to shake that up, adding more idols and advantages, adding the fire making challenge, but honestly I don't see how that helps the "good" players. Fire making is often a toss up and the ability to find a trinket in a hole is something anyone can do, not just good players. This season is supposed to have "Fire Tokens" which I hope will be a way or really rewarding the people with good social and strategic games who actually need the help.
I am not a fan all of the idols. Earlier seasons you actually knew who the people were because non-challenge or tribal council was spent at the tribes and they actually had character development. Now all of that time focused on idols and you barely know who anyone is until they've been on for like 5 episodes. and it's idol this, idol that, everybody's got an idol. It's good for TV and I guess after 40 seasons, if you don't make it through a few episodes or look good in a bathing suit, you don't really matter. and that's OK.

Obviously I still love the show, and I thought this was a great season and I liked Rob and Sandra a lot.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
batleon

Quote:
I am not a fan all of the idols. Earlier seasons you actually knew who the people were because non-challenge or tribal council was spent at the tribes and they actually had character development. Now all of that time focused on idols and you barely know who anyone is until they've been on for like 5 episodes. and it's idol this, idol that, everybody's got an idol. It's good for TV and I guess after 40 seasons, if you don't make it through a few episodes or look good in a bathing suit, you don't really matter. and that's OK.

Obviously I still love the show, and I thought this was a great season and I liked Rob and Sandra a lot.
I think you need idols to avoid an obvious boot order late in the season, but count me in the "too many idols" camp.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
batleon

Quote:
Man don't get me started on that second Sandra win. Russell, love him or hate him, is one of the best players all time and got robbed twice.
Are we still going to have the same debate ten years later? Russell was great strategically but he was a huge dick. How can you think you're going to win this game if you're a huge dick?

It wasn't just for TV either, in the intervening years since HvV he's proved he's a huge dick to the point where the show didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
celluloid hero

Quote:
Are we still going to have the same debate ten years later? Russell was great strategically but he was a huge dick. How can you think you're going to win this game if you're a huge dick?

It wasn't just for TV either, in the intervening years since HvV he's proved he's a huge dick to the point where the show didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore.
He was mostly a dick to the camera, so he got away with it the first season. The "Dumb Girl Alliance" wasn't thrown around camp, he was great and loyal to the people, then was himself to all of us. The second time around there weren't any secrets to his personality.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
batleon

Quote:
He was mostly a dick to the camera, so he got away with it the first season. The "Dumb Girl Alliance" wasn't thrown around camp, he was great and loyal to the people, then was himself to all of us. The second time around there weren't any secrets to his personality.
I STILL haven't seen Samoa so everything I know is based around his HvV appearance. Some people theorize he thought he won Samoa so he played the same game even harder in HvV which might explain some of it. I still think he just has a personality that makes it very hard to win this particular type of game that's based on a jury vote.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:

I have no doubt that Russell Hantz is a dick. I totally get why Survivor doesn't want to deal with him anymore.

BUT, the game isn't about being nice and his way got him to the end in back to back seasons. The guy had only TWO WEEKS in between Season 19 and 20. He basically played 78 STRAIGHT DAYS of Survivor - 39 of those against someone of the absolute best to ever play the game.

You know how everyone just looks for idols now without a clue? They all have Russell to thank for that.

Getting JT on the Heros tribe to give him his idol is one of the all time best manipulative moves in Survivor history.

His love of Survivor and desire to win at all costs was so entertaining.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
I STILL haven't seen Samoa so everything I know is based around his HvV appearance. Some people theorize he thought he won Samoa so he played the same game even harder in HvV which might explain some of it. I still think he just has a personality that makes it very hard to win this particular type of game that's based on a jury vote.
He 100% thought he won Samoa. Everyone in the world thought he won Samoa. Natalie White, god bless her, had absolutely no business winning that game. She. Did. Nothing.

But the jury thought Russell was a meanie. Come on.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #19
NiCK (Crush)

Also, let's not act like a dick has NEVER won Survivor.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #20
batleon

Quote:
Also, let's not act like a dick has NEVER won Survivor.

I haven't seen Cagayan (I hope to rectify that very soon) so I can't argue with you on this point.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc