These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #6841
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
I feel like most of you are so single-minded about what a songwriter and band should do or sound like....it's really sad to me. Music and songwriting is always evolving for writers and players. Always comparing to an older idea and holding it as an ideal will almost always leave you disappointed. If a songwriter gets stuck in their process of writing to appease its audience, it is unhealthy. You lose the authentic honesty of the writing and it can affect the playing of the music by allowing an autopilot like loss of the energies a song requires to express its art.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Evolving requires the new thing, in this case music/albums, to be better than the previous version. In the case of AFTW, it was a devolution.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #6842
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
I feel like most of you are so single-minded about what a songwriter and band should do or sound like....it's really sad to me. Music and songwriting is always evolving for writers and players. Always comparing to an older idea and holding it as an ideal will almost always leave you disappointed. If a songwriter gets stuck in their process of writing to appease its audience, it is unhealthy. You lose the authentic honesty of the writing and it can affect the playing of the music by allowing an autopilot like loss of the energies a song requires to express its art.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
I doubt anyone here is adverse to a band or a songwriter evolving, but the evolution of DMB has been more of a devolution.

Take Pearl Jam for example, their sound constantly evolves, but most fans agree that itís a great evolution. The latest single is getting a more mixed reaction, and DMB has been getting that reaction with every album since Everyday (I donít really count busted stuff as itís technically pre-Everyday). Having said all this, however, I do think BW, AFTW and CT are generally really good albums.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #6843
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
Come on, not even Snow Outside?
so boring, horrible chorus
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #6844
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
so boring, horrible chorus
Yikes. If you can't get behind Snow Outside's chorus.. Such a great song. And I think the album is 90% underwhelming. There's no knocking Snow Outside, though.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #6845
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

I was just reading through reactions in this thread to the album when it first came out, and itís funny to see how amazing everyone thought it was. Now? Not so much
Old 02-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #6846
greykitkat36

Yeah to me the album has nothing to do mixing, different mixes or producer. Itís the writing and the substance. DMb worked with 3 producers on CT, and Lillywhite with AFTW. A total of 4 producers in the past 10 years and its been downright forgettable. Thatís not on anyone else but Dave and the band.

Working on a song nonstop and continuing to rewrite and tweak it usually doesnít work well either. You can only polish a turd. The idea is to keep writing new songs.

Brenden O Brian who produced The Rising (Springsteen) and Shine (Trey Anastasio), admitted his process was he told them to give him 10 reallt good songs before they start. He made them come back several times until they had 10. He would say ďthatís not a fully realized idea, weíre not starting yet.Ē That approaxh really works well, but you need a really motivated artist thatís ok with it.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #6847
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah to me the album has nothing to do mixing, different mixes or producer. Itís the writing and the substance. DMb worked with 3 producers on CT, and Lillywhite with AFTW. A total of 4 producers in the past 10 years and its been downright forgettable. Thatís not on anyone else but Dave and the band.

Working on a song nonstop and continuing to rewrite and tweak it usually doesnít work well either. You can only polish a turd. The idea is to keep writing new songs.

Brenden O Brian who produced The Rising (Springsteen) and Shine (Trey Anastasio), admitted his process was he told them to give him 10 reallt good songs before they start. He made them come back several times until they had 10. He would say ďthatís not a fully realized idea, weíre not starting yet.Ē That approaxh really works well, but you need a really motivated artist thatís ok with it.
Yep. Iíve been saying this for months. Itís all on the band/Dave. Lillywhite can work on If Only, Batson can work on Steady As We Go, Cavallo can work on Shake Me Like a Monkey, etc, but if the lyrics are garbage and the music is meh at best, thereís nothing those producers can do to make the songs great.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #6848
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
Yep. Iíve been saying this for months. Itís all on the band/Dave. Lillywhite can work on If Only, Batson can work on Steady As We Go, Cavallo can work on Shake Me Like a Monkey, etc, but if the lyrics are garbage and the music is meh at best, thereís nothing those producers can do to make the songs great.
Yuuuuuup.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #6849
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Yuuuuuup.
Maybe this album didn't have a long shelf life with fans here, or maybe their initial reactions were just knee jerk, but if you sift through like pages 130-160 of this thread, people are just gushing over how great the album is, and that is a very stark contrast to how people are labeling it now. I don't remember seeing such a change in album attitude as this one has seemed to get. I still think the album holds up. A solid B+ for me.

Last edited by pepelapag; 02-15-2020 at 03:53 PM.
pepelapag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #6850
Cicero

Does anyone have the Away From The World European Bonus CD? It's 8 live songs. It is possible to download this somewhere? Private Message?
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #6851
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
Maybe this album didn't have a long shelf life with fans here, or maybe their initial reactions were just knee jerk, but if you sift through like pages 130-160 of this thread, people are just gushing over how great the album is, and that is a very stark contrast to how people are labeling it now. I don't remember seeing such a change in album attitude as this one has seemed to get. I still think the album holds up. A solid B+ for me.
Crazy thing is, given the other releases around it, AFTW holds up a whole lot better than anything else since busted stuff (and possibly more so than that.. BS just sounds flat to me)

Not saying itís a great album, but I can find. Ore things to enjoy on it than any other release of late.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #6852
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

Yea I'm in the same boat. It's not a great album start to finish by any means, but there's staying power with a lot more of these songs than on other albums. BW has soured on me more than I thought it would but honestly I really only like LITHOG at this point. Seven is good in concert and Black and Blue Bird is the song that Spaceman should have been. Everything else on BW is just, for the most part...'fine'.

B+ grade sounds about right for this album as a whole for sure.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 AM   #6853
jsandr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6743 View Post
Yea I'm in the same boat. It's not a great album start to finish by any means, but there's staying power with a lot more of these songs than on other albums. BW has soured on me more than I thought it would but honestly I really only like LITHOG at this point. Seven is good in concert and Black and Blue Bird is the song that Spaceman should have been. Everything else on BW is just, for the most part...'fine'.

B+ grade sounds about right for this album as a whole for sure.

I wouldn’t go up to a B+ on it...it’s a B- at best, unless you are someone who has dmb beer goggles on constantly.

I think Broken Things, Snow Outside and The Riff are all songs I’m happy to hear. I’m OK with Gaucho, Mercy, rooftop and drunken s. None are must-listens.

Sweet and Belly Full are fine, but like Here On Out on CT, unnecessary.

BBN is the brand of cheesy funk/tossed off dmb I tired of long ago.

If only - eh, if I haven’t heard it in awhile, i won’t hate it.

Album just sounds incomplete. If you replace the last 4 (just as an example) with Crazy Easy, Sugar Will, Kill the King and Shotgun, as an example, it feels like a more finished product front to back.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #6854
greykitkat36

If you took the best songs from BW and AFTW and put them togther you’d have a much better album from start to finish. I listen to BW much more than AFTW because it doesn’t drag.

That middle section of AFTW is so useless and throwaway. The production was good but I left feeling like it was a random collection of songs without continuity. The same way I feel about CT which is even more a jumbled mess. At Least Big Whiskey has a clear focused direction and cohesive sound. The production is Definitley artificial and over the top but everything fits nicely.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #6855
greykitkat36

Also Dave’s writing has really changed to be more geared towards soft, mellow acoustic ballads/lullabies now. DYR is probably the first truly sounding DMB riff Dave’s written in quite some time and there are some other exceptions. But overall 80% of the stuff he writes how just doesn’t sound like DMb.

Half of CT are songs written 10+ years ago and even newer ones like She Dave didn’t even write the guitar part. I guess you could say Samurai Cops riff sounds DMB-ish too.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #6856
gweeps
homesick android

Gaucho remains an underrated tune. Love the horns. Love the children participating. They could have done a real nice music video with the song instead of what we got. The lyric is typical Dave. Not a bad song. Stefan's bass part grooves. Carter is busy as hell.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #6857
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Lillywhite needs to stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogDuke View Post
MY GOD THE END OF THIS ALBUM!
Dunno why, but this made me laugh.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #6858
SomeDevil17

Gaucho really is a good song. Shame it doesn’t get love anymore. Feel like they’ve been doing that with their singles since American baby, play them one or two summers and that’s it. Except for you and me.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #6859
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Had a social distancing camp out in my back yard this weekend. Broken Things came on at one point and everyone was like "this song rocks" and they aren't DMB fans the slightest bit. Great album opener and Dave just needs to play it till he gets it down. I believe this was a difficult to sing and play song.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #6860
jsandr

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
If you took the best songs from BW and AFTW and put them togther youíd have a much better album from start to finish. I listen to BW much more than AFTW because it doesnít drag.

That middle section of AFTW is so useless and throwaway. The production was good but I left feeling like it was a random collection of songs without continuity. The same way I feel about CT which is even more a jumbled mess. At Least Big Whiskey has a clear focused direction and cohesive sound. The production is Definitley artificial and over the top but everything fits nicely.
I can see that. There was a point where I agreed and preferred BW but itís a special kind of mess. I realistically like LITHOG, WIA, Spaceman and the B-Sides (less Cornbread... Iím so over that song) plus I can take both Squirm and Seven in reasonable doses.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc