These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #3181
Mersh
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 51,142
I mean the biggest complaint from the progressive wing of the party is that the party is too centrist.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #3182
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 11,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I mean the biggest complaint from the progressive wing of the party is that the party is too centrist.
Yes, I have heard them say that, but I think that “progressive” wing (which I don’t think is actually progressive at all, they just hijacked the word) is what’s dooming the whole party and starting to take over.

Oddly enough, I am on board with one far-left argument (universal healthcare, or at a minimum a public option, and I could literally write a thesis as to why) but the social justice shit has gone way off the rails and it’s pushing people - a lot of people - away. It’s also a dying narrative, but the “progressives” pushing it are too out of touch to see that and it’s labeling the entirety of the party.

If democrats get rid of that large - very large - subgroup within its party, it’ll start looking somewhat appealing to voters like me again. But until then, I’m out. No way I’m going to watch them project elite, super-wealthy career-politicians like Hillary Fucking Clinton as some “held back” altruistic woman that’s always being held down by men. That bullshit is ruining the party. That, and the insane media bias, which has also spun completely out of control the last few years.

If anyone but Donald Trump were running against Hillary in 2016 I would have voted against her. Today, given how much more off the rails these woke narratives have gotten since 2016, I would honestly vote for Trump over her.
__________________
Sober Thoughts with Mario: A TDC+ Exclusive

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #3183
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 15,698
Just went thru some NYC rental listings on StreetEasy. There’s absolute carnage. Many places listed below 2009 prices. Lots of broken leases. 30% of entire buildings being rented out (AirBnB?)
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #3184
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 11,893
I hope it crumbles, NYC is a cesspool and the money-grubbing assholes that run the town (left, right, and center) deserve what’s coming to them.
__________________
Sober Thoughts with Mario: A TDC+ Exclusive

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #3185
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 11,893
Fauci now saying that if we stay closed down for too long it’ll cause “irreparable damage.”



So now both Fauci and Birx don’t think we should stay locked down. I’m assuming CNN and MSNBC will now say they’re not real experts and just a couple of Trump lackeys.
__________________
Sober Thoughts with Mario: A TDC+ Exclusive

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #3186
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 15,698
Heard a story out of California that a restaurant owner got a $1,000 fine because his employee and employees children were eating on the patio of the restaurant. Unbelievable that this country is tolerating this treatment, even begging for it
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #3187
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 15,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Fauci now saying that if we stay closed down for too long itíll cause ďirreparable damage.Ē



So now both Fauci and Birx donít think we should stay locked down. Iím assuming CNN and MSNBC will now say theyíre not real experts and just a couple of Trump lackeys.
That mother fucker. Irreparable damage has already been done. 25% of small businesses are going under.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #3188
zaphod!
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 21,674
well, OBVIOUSLY if you stay closed down too long it will fuck shit up. the question is where is the right trade-off between lives saved (curve flattened) vs economy damaged.

unfortunately, you guys have probably the dumbest fucking administration in charge of evaluating that trade-off.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #3189
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mansfield, MA
Posts: 31,932
I wear a mask when I'm out, keep my social distancing, however I don't walk around in fear like I see so many do. People driving with their masks on...I guess they believe this is an airborn pathagen that travels in the wind. Sad. I was at Lowes this morning picking up lawn care stuff. Wasn't packed, but there were a good amount of people there. You see people freak out when someone approaches from even 20 feet away. Our news outlets have done less to educate and more to instill fear. I mean christ...I'd like to think I'm a somewhat intelligent person and I understand transmission (which even that information seems to be changing daily) and understand the risks etc... and I'm not walking in fear but I even find myself getting some small percentage of anxiety when someone comes super close to me in a store. I stand there asking myself "wtf is wrong with me?", and then I realize, social norms infest your own sense of intelligence and rationalization and those social norms are created by a lot of our media who are doing two things, 1) reporting what they want to report and 2) how they want to report it.

Also those daily briefings from Govt. officials were/are nonsense and unnecessary and they only contribute to the hysteria. Governors and Mayors are loving every minute of face-time they're getting just like the President. At the beginning, I understood the necessity for these briefings, but the problem is the educational aspect was tossed out the window after the 5th day. Cuomo's briefings turned into two hour sessions of repeating the same 5 statements and taking softball questions about how many masks is NYC receiving. And now Boston magazine had Governor Baker on the front with a caption "great power, greater responsibility"...it's like...he's fucking Spiderman now? From everyone I talk to and things I've read, the handling of the re-opening or at the VERY LEAST the handling of EXPLAINING in greater detail the reopening process has been looked on by Mass residents VERY unfavorably. But media are propping up and prepping some of these guys just like they did with Guliani after 9/11 in an effort to make a bid for the White House. It has absolutely nothing to do with their actual efforts and the way the general public view them.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #3190
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 18,593
This is the capstone of the Red Pill moment for a lot of people I think.

Not Red Pill as in converting to the Republican side. Red Pill in seeing the uselessness of our truly despicable media and power obsessed government.
__________________
Currently listening to:
Live Trax 31: 6/23/01, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront Camden, NJ
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #3191
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,774
To be accurate, I don't think we know yet 100% that droplets aren't aersolized to a degree where it could be considered airborne for a period of time and within a certain distance of someone who coughed or sneezed. wearing a mask in your car is retarded, but I don't think it's entirely crazy to be cautious when people approach you closely.

WHO did an experimental study showing it's unlikely the droplets are small enough to aerosolize, and instead they just fall to surfaces, but just saying it's not 100% verified yet. [Only registered users can see links.]
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #3192
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 11,893
Those two posts before typ

So fucking spot on and exactly how I’d summarize my feelings about all of this.
__________________
Sober Thoughts with Mario: A TDC+ Exclusive

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #3193
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 11,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
well, OBVIOUSLY if you stay closed down too long it will fuck shit up. the question is where is the right trade-off between lives saved (curve flattened) vs economy damaged.

unfortunately, you guys have probably the dumbest fucking administration in charge of evaluating that trade-off.
Based on dates within some old articles I’m finding (so these dates could be off by a day or two, but you’ll see my larger point remains)....

Trump declared a national emergency on March 13 (letting the states decide how to lockdown, which makes sense given how dispersed outbreaks are in the US) and banned virtually all international travel sans a handful of countries, it appears, on March 14. As far as I can tell Canada first started locking down on March 16 as a country, and that was also the day Canada started placing a ban on international travel.

Look, I love Canada. Montreal is fun. Quebec City is beautiful. Vancouver is super clean and the maple trees look like they’re from that giant world in Super Mario Bros 3.

But I’m pretty tired of canucks coming in here hammering the US response when their response, by their own measures, has been slightly “worse” than the US’s and everything they’ve done from locking down to now opening back up has been done in the shadow of the US’s action. Are you your own country or our 51st state?

If you’re going to hammer Trump over and over and over - a guy who doesn’t govern you at all - hammer Trudeau, too, the guy that does. These “holier than thou” comments are getting old and lack self-awareness given what your own country has done.

And I don’t dislike you or anything, I just dislike these constant attacks that do nothing to look in the mirror regarding what’s going on in your own world.
__________________
Sober Thoughts with Mario: A TDC+ Exclusive

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #3194
zaphod!
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 21,674
first of all, i don't come in here representing canada or defending our federal response.

and second, i don't care what you're tired of.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #3195
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 11,893
__________________
Sober Thoughts with Mario: A TDC+ Exclusive

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #3196
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 15,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I wear a mask when I'm out, keep my social distancing, however I don't walk around in fear like I see so many do. People driving with their masks on...I guess they believe this is an airborn pathagen that travels in the wind. Sad. I was at Lowes this morning picking up lawn care stuff. Wasn't packed, but there were a good amount of people there. You see people freak out when someone approaches from even 20 feet away. Our news outlets have done less to educate and more to instill fear. I mean christ...I'd like to think I'm a somewhat intelligent person and I understand transmission (which even that information seems to be changing daily) and understand the risks etc... and I'm not walking in fear but I even find myself getting some small percentage of anxiety when someone comes super close to me in a store. I stand there asking myself "wtf is wrong with me?", and then I realize, social norms infest your own sense of intelligence and rationalization and those social norms are created by a lot of our media who are doing two things, 1) reporting what they want to report and 2) how they want to report it.

Also those daily briefings from Govt. officials were/are nonsense and unnecessary and they only contribute to the hysteria. Governors and Mayors are loving every minute of face-time they're getting just like the President. At the beginning, I understood the necessity for these briefings, but the problem is the educational aspect was tossed out the window after the 5th day. Cuomo's briefings turned into two hour sessions of repeating the same 5 statements and taking softball questions about how many masks is NYC receiving. And now Boston magazine had Governor Baker on the front with a caption "great power, greater responsibility"...it's like...he's fucking Spiderman now? From everyone I talk to and things I've read, the handling of the re-opening or at the VERY LEAST the handling of EXPLAINING in greater detail the reopening process has been looked on by Mass residents VERY unfavorably. But media are propping up and prepping some of these guys just like they did with Guliani after 9/11 in an effort to make a bid for the White House. It has absolutely nothing to do with their actual efforts and the way the general public view them.
They lied to us. Said the shutdowns were for hospitals to catch up. Some people think they stayed locked down because they’re power hungry. I think you called out the motivation pretty well - they must think it’s good politics to stay locked down and make themselves the hero. The economic reality is eventually going to emerge here...I can’t see how the rubber doesn’t meet road and people turn on these politicians, especially with state/local budgets in shambles.

As for the media...I don’t think you can really blame them. I don’t really think they’ve been scaremongering as much as giving scaremongers like Fauci airtime. If you are dumbed down enough to believe the fear, that’s really on you. People are just sooo dumbed down and submissive to authority figures. Really submission to supposed authorities like CDC, WHO, Fauci is the real culprit here.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #3197
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 26,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
As for the media...I donít think you can really blame them. I donít really think theyíve been scaremongering as much as giving scaremongers like Fauci airtime. If you are dumbed down enough to believe the fear, thatís really on you. People are just sooo dumbed down and submissive to authority figures. Really submission to supposed authorities like CDC, WHO, Fauci is the real culprit here.
Then who are the authorities to be trusted? You can't expect these people/organizations to have all the answers right out of the gate.

Two things to keep in mind: a) we have no antiviral/vaccine for this virus yet & b) the world was already hurting before this crisis made everything worse.

And I find it fascinating to see how nature is just carrying on doing what it usually does, maybe with some slight modifications because we aren't invading their territory as is our want and pleasure.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #3198
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 26,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I wear a mask when I'm out, keep my social distancing, however I don't walk around in fear like I see so many do. People driving with their masks on...I guess they believe this is an airborn pathagen that travels in the wind. Sad. I was at Lowes this morning picking up lawn care stuff. Wasn't packed, but there were a good amount of people there. You see people freak out when someone approaches from even 20 feet away. Our news outlets have done less to educate and more to instill fear. I mean christ...I'd like to think I'm a somewhat intelligent person and I understand transmission (which even that information seems to be changing daily) and understand the risks etc... and I'm not walking in fear but I even find myself getting some small percentage of anxiety when someone comes super close to me in a store. I stand there asking myself "wtf is wrong with me?", and then I realize, social norms infest your own sense of intelligence and rationalization and those social norms are created by a lot of our media who are doing two things, 1) reporting what they want to report and 2) how they want to report it.
Dr. Michael Osterholm calls it physical distancing, which to me makes it sounds not so psychologically isolating. I like that idea.

And I've read that the WHO calls viruses by generic names because they want to lessen potential xenophobia i.e. 'Spanish flu'.

So I think that there is some sense out there. Depends on where you search.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #3199
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 15,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Then who are the authorities to be trusted? You can't expect these people/organizations to have all the answers right out of the gate.

Two things to keep in mind: a) we have no antiviral/vaccine for this virus yet & b) the world was already hurting before this crisis made everything worse.

And I find it fascinating to see how nature is just carrying on doing what it usually does, maybe with some slight modifications because we aren't invading their territory as is our want and pleasure.
I donít trust any authorities...silly question
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #3200
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 26,589
But yes, some media certainly likes to lay it on thick. Like this: [Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.07122 seconds with 19 queries