These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #61
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Yeah, I'm just not that into exploratory jams.

I enjoy more structured jams (like DMB) or intricate, arranged instrumental parts (like early Chicago). Hearing something played well is more important to me than surprise or spontaneity.
Yeah, well then that makes a lot of sense why you like the studio stuff. Phish live is all about the experimentation and the journey, especially in 3.0. So yeah, to each their own. I love their studio albums too, but I def go mainly for the jams.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #62
kitkat

does anyone have a link to theme from the bottom (which I think is the track with Leroi? I was watching the beginnings of set 2 yesterday...then today it looks like the video isn't available.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #63
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
does anyone have a link to theme from the bottom (which I think is the track with Leroi? I was watching the beginnings of set 2 yesterday...then today it looks like the video isn't available.
[Only registered users can see links.]
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #64
kitkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]
sweet! thank you!
Old 05-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #65
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Okay... so this sounds as stupid and horrible as you'd expect looking at it.
Fun if you were there I bet though.
I think once Trey got clean.. he started taking his job more seriously. While at the show this might have been fun (though probably not even..) it's kinda dumb. They're now at top of their game IMO.. saw them several times in the last few years.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #66
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

lol

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #67
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
lol
There is always one "expert" Phish fan in the group who gets the inside joke and just laughs...
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #68
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenThings View Post
There is always one "expert" Phish fan in the group who gets the inside joke and just laughs...
Eh I don't pay much attention to some on this board.. they know who they are.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #69
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenThings View Post
There is always one "expert" Phish fan in the group who gets the inside joke and just laughs...:whatever
There is no ‘inside joke.’ Anyone who knows anything about phish knows there is no one who took music more seriously then Trey did up until Big Cypress or so. His post is so ridiculously wrong it didn’t deserve a serious reply. Mike, why don’t you take a break from mooching on this site or being one of the top three biggest pieces of shit the dmb community has ever known and do a little research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher James View Post
Eh I don't pay much attention to some on this board.. they know who they are.
Serious question: Why would anyone know that?

Old 05-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #70
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
That was a seriously fun watch. Coincidentally just a few weeks earlier Phish payed YEM with the Flecktones in France, playing with Jeff who would of course go on to replace Roi a little over 10 years later, just weird to look back on.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #71
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
That was a seriously fun watch. Coincidentally just a few weeks earlier Phish payed YEM with the Flecktones in France, playing with Jeff who would of course go on to replace Roi a little over 10 years later, just weird to look back on.
Would love to hear that. Had no idea it happened.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #72
greykitkat36

Quote:
There is no ‘inside joke.’ Anyone who knows anything about phish knows there is no one who took music more seriously then Trey did up until Big Cypress or so.
Yep. In fact major hard drugs didn't even enter the band's scene until late 1996. It was all just weed, alcohol and some psychedelics up until that point, and the band never got really "wasted" at all before shows. Coke, E, Heroin, Oxy etc. started to become prevalent in '96 onwards, and it just got progressively worse. After Big Cypress, The band (trey especially) felt like they had peaked and there was no way to achieve anything else that would be better than that show, and it caused a spiral.

Really only from '98-'02 did it really take a toll on Trey and the band in terms of taking things seriously, and it wasn't every night, they just became much less consistent. This recent '97 show webcast wasn't an every show kind of deal, where they did that kind of stuff. They happened to be having a drug induced show that night. They rarely have guests and at that point rarely did those kind of antics and chaotic noise-jamming.

Even in '03, Trey cleaned up hardcore, started doing yoga and took most of that year really seriously until they went into the Undermind sessions, which he relapsed really badly and ended up breaking up the band. This is why some people blame Dave and the D+F tour for getting him back into the party scene and ultimately causing him to end Phish.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #73
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yep. In fact major hard drugs didn't even enter the band's scene until late 1996. It was all just weed, alcohol and some psychedelics up until that point, and the band never got really "wasted" at all before shows. Coke, E, Heroin, Oxy etc. started to become prevalent in '96 onwards, and it just got progressively worse. After Big Cypress, The band (trey especially) felt like they had peaked and there was no way to achieve anything else that would be better than that show, and it caused a spiral.

Really only from '98-'02 did it really take a toll on Trey and the band in terms of taking things seriously, and it wasn't every night, they just became much less consistent. This recent '97 show webcast wasn't an every show kind of deal, where they did that kind of stuff. They happened to be having a drug induced show that night. They rarely have guests and at that point rarely did those kind of antics and chaotic noise-jamming.

Even in '03, Trey cleaned up hardcore, started doing yoga and took most of that year really seriously until they went into the Undermind sessions, which he relapsed really badly and ended up breaking up the band. This is why some people blame Dave and the D+F tour for getting him back into the party scene and ultimately causing him to end Phish.
No way Dave got Trey fired up again. Dave was never that guy until Trey came along. Dave has always said he doest drink, smoke or do anything like it before performing. How many encores did they come out messed up on that tour and Dave could barely keep his eyes uncrossed. I'm not being a DM homer, but there is no chance in hell Dave got Trey to relapse.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #74
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Dave has always said he doest drink, smoke or do anything like it before performing.
If you believe that, I have an excellent investment opportunity for you...

Old 05-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #75
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Trey’s playing was also on point during this show, and during the bowie intro you can actually see him get mad at mike for not going hard enough. Music is trey’s life, and during this period as a band he was laser focused on it.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #76
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
No way Dave got Trey fired up again. Dave was never that guy until Trey came along. Dave has always said he doest drink, smoke or do anything like it before performing. How many encores did they come out messed up on that tour and Dave could barely keep his eyes uncrossed. I'm not being a DM homer, but there is no chance in hell Dave got Trey to relapse.
Who knows, at the end of the day Trey could have said no and didn’t regardless, so he can only blame himself. That being said, you’ve been a fan of this band for how long? You really think Dave has played all these show sober? No chance. I’m sure he has For the past decade or so, but from 91-05, there’s plenty of instances where he’s indulged.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #77
dmb1981

Quote:
If you believe that, I have an excellent investment opportunity for you...
Didnt say I did. Mentioned, Dave has said that. But I will take to my grave the notion that Dave was not the one to get Trey back on the drug train.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #78
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Who knows, at the end of the day Trey could have said no and didn’t regardless, so he can only blame himself. That being said, you’ve been a fan of this band for how long? You really think Dave has played all these show sober? No chance. I’m sure he has For the past decade or so, but from 91-05, there’s plenty of instances where he’s indulged.
Dude, you think I believe he was sober all those years while performing?? LOL. I said, Dave mentioned he couldn't perform as well, so he chose not to do it.

Dave was licked for almost all those D&F encores.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #79
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #80
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
There was that rumor that went around that Trey just being around Dave was bad and the D&F's tour did not help Trey in that regard. I was actually just watching Dave & Trey go to Africa the other week and forgot about coked out Trey talking to the camera during that outdoor dinner.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc