These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #141
That's it, Sir.
I understand.
 
That's it, Sir.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
in principle, i agree. in any case where the voicing of the chord is affected, or if there was a natural reason to play a chord a certain way because of the chords before and/or after it, i wouldn't say anything.

but here, i just don't see any reason why a guitarist playing this song would opt for that fingering of the chord. dave matthews probably does it because when he composed the progression, he likely was playing around with that D shape and eventually settled on that bass note, and then it just became "the way".

timh is showing the way the man himself plays it, so that's fair enough. but if anyone learning the songs actually insists on playing the exact same voicing of the chord in the exact same position in a weird way just because that's the way dave matthews does it? i think that's bordering on some kind of disorder.
Sounds like you've been playing long enough to know not everyone cares about showing off theoretical knowledge and they mostly play like they learned to or how it feels right to them. Dave is a songwriter more so than a guitarist. He's not shy about that. I think the disorder thing is more evident in pointing all of this out to a group of people that were or are fans of this weird guy that plays the guitar like a weirdo in thread dedicated to EXACTLY HOW HE DOES IT.

perfect username btw
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #142
BigVodka
 
BigVodka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: darkside of the loon
Posts: 2,322
I think what i’d be most interested in seeing is a Roi solo tabbed out for lead guitar. Every note would be annoying to do i’d imagine. Maybe it could be described through generally where he is on the root scale, some scale positions that work, and a few of the more notable riffs tabbed out.

Like Roi’s last Loving Wings @ Gorge, for instance.
or even his classic arrangement parts like LLD or Ditch
__________________
.celebrate we won't.
BigVodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #143
Steveo Style
 
Steveo Style's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
I think what id be most interested in seeing is a Roi solo tabbed out for lead guitar. Every note would be annoying to do id imagine. Maybe it could be described through generally where he is on the root scale, some scale positions that work, and a few of the more notable riffs tabbed out.

Like Rois last Loving Wings @ Gorge, for instance.
or even his classic arrangement parts like LLD or Ditch
It seems like there should be an app for that. Someone get on it!
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #144
timh.
tasty.
 
timh.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,248
What Would You Say: [Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
my grammar always sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #145
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
What Would You Say: [Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks man.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #146
timh.
tasty.
 
timh.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Thanks man.
sure thing!
__________________
my grammar always sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #147
zaphod!
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 21,682
never could quite get that bend in the WWYS riff, so i just became accustomed to doing a little 2-3-2 hammer-on-off instead :shrug

but i never quite noticed that slide back to the second fret, that sounds a whole lot better now! thanks!
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #148
timh.
tasty.
 
timh.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,248
I feel like this song got a bad reputation for how much it was played in the e1 slot... but I've always really loved this riff.

Sister: [Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
my grammar always sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.03773 seconds with 19 queries