These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #501
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
awesome review! I enjoyed reading it. I began listening last night, so I should have my review up either today or tomorrow as well.
Thanks man, I'm looking forward to your review as well
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #502
sean52692
You failed this band

Great reviews, boys. Both very well written, enjoyed reading them both!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #503
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Great reviews, boys. Both very well written, enjoyed reading them both!
Old 05-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #504
celluloid hero

we talked about doing these two together in a different thread:

12.7.93 - [Only registered users can see links.]
12.8.93 - [Only registered users can see links.]
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #505
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I’ll try and have my review of 9.13.00 completed tonight. Apologies for the delay, as the past two days have been challenging for me. I’m over halfway through the show though.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:36 AM   #506
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Dave Matthews Band
The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
The Woodlands, TX

Main Set

The Stone - This is always a fantastic choice for an opener. It really gets the crowd pumped up for the evening ahead and allows each band member to shine right out of the gate. This song rocks anywhere in a set, but Stone openers sure are special.

The Best Of What’s Around - I absolutely adore this song, especially very early in a set. What a wonderful 1-2 combo! Roi played with great passion on this rendition and he put a smile on my face listening to him.

So Much To Say --> ASTB --> Too Much (fake) --> - It’s the classic combo, but I’m not going to lie. I miss it. I’m kind of over the long and drawn out ASTBs of the last few years. It’s nice to hear both Dave’s guitar and Roi’s horns again on this classic one. The Too much fakes are always a nice welcome surprise as well.

Ants Marching - Back in 2000, it was always a surprise to have “Too Much” fake into “Ants Marching” and it caught the crowd off guard in a great way. They ate it up. Man, it really is night and day with just how different “Ants” sounded back in the day vs. These days. In addition, the energy in the show kept going strong and the flow is just wonderful.

Bartender - At times, I think we forget just how powerful of a song “Bartender really is. Along with other top tier DMB songs, this too is a complete package of a song (both musically and lyrically). Creatively, DMB was at their peak during those days, with output like this. Due to this song being very heavily over the years, I think we kind of take it for granted or have gotten too used to it. But in 2000 and with this particular performance, it sounded so fresh and just raw power. I like 2000 “Bartenders” for this reason. The following year, when it hooked up with “Big Eyed Fish”, it was still incredible as always, but lost a little raw emotion in favor of being a musical centerpiece of the show. Please don’t get me wrong, as there is nothing wrong with that either. Just a slightly different vibe. I’m rambling here...my bad.

Raven - My co-MVP song for the 2000 tour, there is just something so special about “Raven” that year. Improv lyrics, an addicting melody, and an organic painful emotion emitting from Dave that summer. I know these versions have gotten heat over the yearrs for just being rambling nonsense by Dave, but I find them to be a wonderful invitation into his conscious stream of thought. The man churned out some amazing phrases and lyrics that tour. In this particular performance, Dave did scramble depressing phrases into lyrics, but there was somewhat a message of hope by the end of this one. I liked this one and it was a highlight.

The Song That Jane Likes - Standard performance, but it’s always a welcome choice.

One Sweet World - I know that most of us would agree with this, but man, the instrumental intro is sorely missed. It’s classic DMB and added to the band’s identity of who they were. They could be the happy carpe diem rocking band, the sad and angry band, or the soft melodic band as well. As Roi famously once said, “Variety of color is good”. The instrumental intro, combined with the power chords that begin the main song, should come back again one day. I know they did one time a few years ago, but they should give it another chance. With Buddy now on board, I think they will find that they like it again.

Drive In, Drive Out - It’s a shame that there was a cut in the recording for this one. Maybe a tape change? This song always represents classic DMB to me. Carter Beauford all day long.

Lie In Our Graves - It’s always a treat when Bela guests on LIOG. The show kicks into high gear with the start of this one. Bela’s solo was rocking as always. Butch had a solo on this one as well and it was good. I miss the Butch/Carter interplay in those days. Butch would get carried away years later, but it was nice here.

Jimi Thing - A freaking incredible and A+ performance. Victor Wooton started off the jam and showed off his ridiculous talent on bass (as always), followed by an unchained Jeff Coffin (which is always the best kind). Bela got the next solo and it was dirty and smooth at the same time, which was really awesome. Then Futureman entered the party and things really became melodic and grooving. The jam then makes a stop in percussion city and it was very nice. They created a nice groove and melody on top of it as well. Dave has the last solo with his acoustic. I apologize for my lack of music terminology, as I’m probably butchering the description. This performance smokes! This might be one of the best performances of “Jimi Thing”, in my opinion.

Grey Street - Ahh, the glory days of “Grey Street”. My other co-MVP song of the 2000 tour. Obviously, this goes without saying by now and I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but this is the real “Grey Street”. I can listen to 2000-2001 versions of this song every day. I absolutely adore them. It was one of the band’s best song in those two years. The lyrics were really coming together by this point as well. By this point in the tour, the song was shaping up for Dave. Less improv on this one than on prior performances that summer, but it felt so complete. I wish they used this performance for the Busted Stuff recording sessions.

Too Much - I like how it was faked out earlier in the evening and then returned here to close out the main set. It’s nice continuity and is fun.

Encore

I’ll Back You Up - This is my favorite “quiet” DMB song and probably their love song that I enjoy the most. I adore it. The e1 slot is always the best spot for this song. I wish the crowd would simmer down, stop talking, and just enjoy this treat.

JTR - It’s really cool that the band had such confidence with this song that they closed shows with it in the same year that it debuted. That takes guts and reminds me of them doing this with “The Last Stop” in 1998. This was a great performance, as always. This song always emits happy vibes and the ending jam is so infectious. This song should have been more influential and important for the band’s legacy and history. It was their next hit single after BTCS. “Where’s the Tripping Billies?” It’s right here, Bruce Flohr. A head-scratching situation for sure. I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole though.

Conclusion

This was yet again, another wonderful concert by the band during their infamous September 2000 run. From top to bottom, DMB was on point the entire night. It’s always Christmas morning when Bela Fleck and the Flecktones guest on their shows and this one was no different. They only elevate the musicianship and take DMB’s performances to a higher level. This is the band at their peak and they were firing on all cylinders. I really miss them, but I cherish the fact that we can relive their history through auds.

An absolute top tier show for sure. I would love for it to be released via Live Trax one day.

Overall Rating: 4.75 / 5
Old 05-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #507
soright05

Quote:
Dave Matthews Band
The Woodlands, TX

Main Set

The Stone - This is always a fantastic choice for an opener. It really gets the crowd pumped up for the evening ahead and allows each band member to shine right out of the gate. This song rocks anywhere in a set, but Stone openers sure are special.

The Best Of What’s Around - I absolutely adore this song, especially very early in a set. What a wonderful 1-2 combo! Roi played with great passion on this rendition and he put a smile on my face listening to him.

So Much To Say --> ASTB --> Too Much (fake) --> - It’s the classic combo, but I’m not going to lie. I miss it. I’m kind of over the long and drawn out ASTBs of the last few years. It’s nice to hear both Dave’s guitar and Roi’s horns again on this classic one. The Too much fakes are always a nice welcome surprise as well.

Ants Marching - Back in 2000, it was always a surprise to have “Too Much” fake into “Ants Marching” and it caught the crowd off guard in a great way. They ate it up. Man, it really is night and day with just how different “Ants” sounded back in the day vs. These days. In addition, the energy in the show kept going strong and the flow is just wonderful.

Bartender - At times, I think we forget just how powerful of a song “Bartender really is. Along with other top tier DMB songs, this too is a complete package of a song (both musically and lyrically). Creatively, DMB was at their peak during those days, with output like this. Due to this song being very heavily over the years, I think we kind of take it for granted or have gotten too used to it. But in 2000 and with this particular performance, it sounded so fresh and just raw power. I like 2000 “Bartenders” for this reason. The following year, when it hooked up with “Big Eyed Fish”, it was still incredible as always, but lost a little raw emotion in favor of being a musical centerpiece of the show. Please don’t get me wrong, as there is nothing wrong with that either. Just a slightly different vibe. I’m rambling here...my bad.

Raven - My co-MVP song for the 2000 tour, there is just something so special about “Raven” that year. Improv lyrics, an addicting melody, and an organic painful emotion emitting from Dave that summer. I know these versions have gotten heat over the yearrs for just being rambling nonsense by Dave, but I find them to be a wonderful invitation into his conscious stream of thought. The man churned out some amazing phrases and lyrics that tour. In this particular performance, Dave did scramble depressing phrases into lyrics, but there was somewhat a message of hope by the end of this one. I liked this one and it was a highlight.

The Song That Jane Likes - Standard performance, but it’s always a welcome choice.

One Sweet World - I know that most of us would agree with this, but man, the instrumental intro is sorely missed. It’s classic DMB and added to the band’s identity of who they were. They could be the happy carpe diem rocking band, the sad and angry band, or the soft melodic band as well. As Roi famously once said, “Variety of color is good”. The instrumental intro, combined with the power chords that begin the main song, should come back again one day. I know they did one time a few years ago, but they should give it another chance. With Buddy now on board, I think they will find that they like it again.

Drive In, Drive Out - It’s a shame that there was a cut in the recording for this one. Maybe a tape change? This song always represents classic DMB to me. Carter Beauford all day long.

Lie In Our Graves - It’s always a treat when Bela guests on LIOG. The show kicks into high gear with the start of this one. Bela’s solo was rocking as always. Butch had a solo on this one as well and it was good. I miss the Butch/Carter interplay in those days. Butch would get carried away years later, but it was nice here.

Jimi Thing - A freaking incredible and A+ performance. Victor Wooton started off the jam and showed off his ridiculous talent on bass (as always), followed by an unchained Jeff Coffin (which is always the best kind). Bela got the next solo and it was dirty and smooth at the same time, which was really awesome. Then Futureman entered the party and things really became melodic and grooving. The jam then makes a stop in percussion city and it was very nice. They created a nice groove and melody on top of it as well. Dave has the last solo with his acoustic. I apologize for my lack of music terminology, as I’m probably butchering the description. This performance smokes! This might be one of the best performances of “Jimi Thing”, in my opinion.

Grey Street - Ahh, the glory days of “Grey Street”. My other co-MVP song of the 2000 tour. Obviously, this goes without saying by now and I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but this is the real “Grey Street”. I can listen to 2000-2001 versions of this song every day. I absolutely adore them. It was one of the band’s best song in those two years. The lyrics were really coming together by this point as well. By this point in the tour, the song was shaping up for Dave. Less improv on this one than on prior performances that summer, but it felt so complete. I wish they used this performance for the Busted Stuff recording sessions.

Too Much - I like how it was faked out earlier in the evening and then returned here to close out the main set. It’s nice continuity and is fun.

Encore

I’ll Back You Up - This is my favorite “quiet” DMB song and probably their love song that I enjoy the most. I adore it. The e1 slot is always the best spot for this song. I wish the crowd would simmer down, stop talking, and just enjoy this treat.

JTR - It’s really cool that the band had such confidence with this song that they closed shows with it in the same year that it debuted. That takes guts and reminds me of them doing this with “The Last Stop” in 1998. This was a great performance, as always. This song always emits happy vibes and the ending jam is so infectious. This song should have been more influential and important for the band’s legacy and history. It was their next hit single after BTCS. “Where’s the Tripping Billies?” It’s right here, Bruce Flohr. A head-scratching situation for sure. I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole though.

Conclusion

This was yet again, another wonderful concert by the band during their infamous September 2000 run. From top to bottom, DMB was on point the entire night. It’s always Christmas morning when Bela Fleck and the Flecktones guest on their shows and this one was no different. They only elevate the musicianship and take DMB’s performances to a higher level. This is the band at their peak and they were firing on all cylinders. I really miss them, but I cherish the fact that we can relive their history through auds.

An absolute top tier show for sure. I would love for it to be released via Live Trax one day.

great review and awesome show.
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #508
DIDO36
Mississippi State style!

Quote:
Dave Matthews Band
The Woodlands, TX

Main Set

Encore

Conclusion

Enjoyed reading your review!
Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #509
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by soright05 View Post
great review and awesome show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Enjoyed reading your review!
Thank you both!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #510
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Are you guys ready for the next round, or is more time better?
Old 05-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #511
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Bring on the next show!
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #512
Tomacco

Since I'm doing my own re-listen of all my shows, anyone interested in doing this one with me? Sort of a sequel to last week's Drive-In 06 show, but with a fairly different setlist.

September 12, 2006
Pepsi Center, Denver, CO

Pawn Shop [tease]
One Sweet World
Proudest Monkey »
Satellite
Pure Imagination [tease]
Dreamgirl
Big Eyed Fish »
Grey Street
Idea of You
Loving Wings
Crash into Me
The Last Stop
Can't Stop »
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse*
You Might Die Trying*
Hunger for the Great Light
All Along the Watchtower +
-----------------------------------
Sister
So Right »
Ants Marching

*w/Richard Hardy
+ w/Robert Randolph

Last edited by Tomacco; 05-28-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #513
celluloid hero

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 05-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #514
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Listening now....

One Sweet World: Standard rendition. Really miss the intro. To me, it's not the same song without it. Just glad Boyd's half-competent and 'Roi is still alive here to keep Rashawn from completely cocking it up like he does today.

Proudest Monkey: I enjoy this one early on in the set. It's classic DMB. Incredibly mellow, but by the end, the entire band is into it and setting the tone for the rest of the night. They don't meander into this one, Dave's playing is almost deliberate, for lack of a better word, and he starts singing almost immediately and it takes off from there.

Satellite: And there it is, the segue into Satellite. The bass always stands out to me when catching Satellite live. The crowd is really into it once the full band comes in, letting out a huge roar. This one, being a crowd favorite, is easily overlooked on paper, but always enjoyable at a show among 10,000+ people. Fun side note, I'm guessing that's LeRoi playing 'Pure Imagination' on the flute prior to the next song. That's something every fan should miss, just 'Roi messing around and possibly getting a band member or two to join in the fun.

Dreamgirl: Direct intro. Wasn't expecting it here, but it makes sense, in that it was a 2005-2006 staple. Dreamgirl is a better song than we give it credit for, and I say that after not having heard it in a long while..... but such is the way of the band's fan base. That said, this version continues the loose, laid back feel of the show so far. Dave mumbles a bit during the transition to the outro while LeRoi plays in his traditional style, then before the outro even gets going, they wrap it up. Short and sweet.

Big Eyed Fish: Sloppy start, seems like Boyd may have been a bit off. Enjoyed the half-improv "up in a tree is where the monkey should fuckin' be" line. Dave's falsetto is pretty spot on for it being the back end of a long summer tour.

Grey Street: Also didn't expect Big Eyed Fish to just fade out without Bartender. Glad Dave kept the 12-string in hand, though, as the same as what I said for One Sweet World can also be applied to this one. Grey Street hasn't been ruined entirely here, yet. It's like I didn't even notice Rashawn. It's not just noise. Carter sounds extra busy on this version and LeRoi plays over the verses, which I really miss hearing these days.

Idea of You: Dave introduces this one in the traditional way. "Trying some new songs," "here's a tiny little guitar," etc. This one sounded great in 2006 and I think it's just as great on Come Tomorrow and in recent years. Some good improv from Dave, here, as well. Remember what I mentioned about his voice on Big Eyed Fish? Yeah, it's starting to crack a bit on this one.

Loving Wings: Not sure about the setlist selection here. At this point, the first half of this song is no different than a mid-set Sister in 2019. I'd guess there was a mass exodus to the bathrooms during the build to the jam, which takes a few minutes to get going. Roi takes the bull by the horns and starts into it quietly, seemingly drawing the arena in like the pied piper. By the time the song reaches the 8 minute mark, it reminds me more and more of the jam in Typical Situation. This one's rockin' by the end, with the I Dream of Jeannie interpolation and all. Tale of two songs, for sure.

Crash (Into Me): There's the lift the crowd needed. Stefan's the busy one here, all over this tune. I also hear Carter's backround vocals loud and clear, which is unusual, now that I'm thinking about it.

The Last Stop: Now we're talking. Love the roll Carter plays to start this song. 2006 was such a perfect year for it, too. Boyd sounds great on it, which is even better. Dave's vocal delivery is great, and Rashawn is only a little annoying with him and Roi bringing the "section sound" into the tune before they go into the outro. Great rendition, overall.

Can't Stop: Fully expected Crush here after Dave introduced Fonz, but the shell of Can't Stop is fine after how awesome the Last Stop was.

Dancing Nancies: Standard version of this one, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Classic segue into Warehouse, as well.

Warehouse: This one's fun. Richard Hardy guests on flute, which was a welcome surprise. Louie, Louie interpolation, as well. Great spot in the setlist, as well.

You Might Die Trying: Richard Hardy stays out and plays sax on this one, adding a slightly different (and refreshing) tone at the beginning, until Rashawn butchers the end. This song was still trying to find legs in 2006 and is mostly an afterthought.

Hunger for the Great Light: Waste of a spot. Should've extended the encore break by three minutes or something.

Watchtower: Robert Randolph is out and he's all over this one. These 2006 RR Watchtowers are pretty great and worth a listen.

-----------------------

Sister: Another waste of a spot. Should've extended the encore break by another three minutes or something.

So Right: Now we're talking. The renditions of this one from mid to late 2006 are pretty fun. This song is classic DMB whether you want to agree or not.

Ants Marching: My preferred way to finish off a DMB show before 2009. Nothing jumps out at me about this one, but that's a good thing.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?

Last edited by ThememanXX; Yesterday at 11:21 AM.
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #515
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks for sharing the show. I know you mentioned December 7th & 8th, 1993 above. Should we do that one after this show?
Old 05-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #516
celluloid hero

yeah, I'm game for those. It's been forever.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #517
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
yeah, I'm game for those. It's been forever.

Ok sounds good. I haven’t listened to those two shows in years as well, so I’m really looking forward to it.

In addition, I know I haven’t updated the first post with our running list for a good while now. If you all would like, I can certainly work in it again (is it being used though?). It’ll have to sift through this thread again to find the remaining shows.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #518
JimBeam41

12/7/93 was one of the first show's i got through B&P, great show
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #519
celluloid hero

Quote:
Ok sounds good. I haven’t listened to those two shows in years as well, so I’m really looking forward to it.

In addition, I know I haven’t updated the first post with our running list for a good while now. If you all would like, I can certainly work in it again (is it being used though?). It’ll have to sift through this thread again to find the remaining shows.
I use it :-X
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #520
sean52692
You failed this band

Quick little 12/17/03 review

Bartender was a good tone setter, felt like the outro was a bit short but this version was good. I enjoyed the Davespeak about the rest of the band after Bartender. Tim was great on LIOG and great placement of the tune. The off tune intro in Satellite really added some flavor to the show.
Nice little #40. WAYG is the dud of the D&T set. Loved how Dave had a callback to his Davespeak earlier in the night in the Nancies drunk man intro.

Dodo is just about the perfect D&F opener and this version was sublime. Trouble is so much better than how it's been treated play count wise throughout the year, very well written song and these performances are good.

The rest of the set was very strong. I love Cripple Creek and hearing Trey get a chance to sing. Stay or Leave with the piano intro is beautiful. SUAD is the clear highlight of the set to me - just so rocking. The only weakpoint in the set to me was Oh - wasn't feeling that performance and I don't think they were either.

Encore with the legendary Bathtub Gin / Everyday performance is a real treat, love the video of that one.
Fool In the Rain version was better than I remembered.

Great pick, the D&T set is like a ****3/4 and the main set is like a ****

Show rating: ****1/4

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc