These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #21
blumathu

I think something else that deserves an honorable mention here is the show Beavis and Butthead. That show introduced me to a lot of new music and heavily influenced my music choices from that point onward.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #22
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
forgot one:

Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite
hell yeah this reminds me of driving my girlfriend (now wife) and a few of her cute friends out to bars in Gainesville, FL and them getting down to "Two Princes" and "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #23
Bluewater34
Is Old

Two Princes is such a good song.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #24
Define Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Thatís a cool, and interesting, choice. Why this one? Donít get me wrong, I loved that whole tour. Just curious.
Let me back up a bit. My fiancee's dad is a huge Dead Head, and he gave me a burned CD for Christmas one year when I was in high school, and it was my first exposure to the Dead. The two tracks that got me into the band were Scarlet>Fire from 3.22.90. Just an incredible experience. My second exposure to the Dead was when I got way too stoned with a friend and he told me to lay down and listen to the music. He played some crazy version of Dark Star. At that point I was a casual fan. What really got me hooked was seeing a video of Blow Away from the '89 JFK show. That was it. That live album became a go to and that's when I became a real fan. The Brent era remains my favorite.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #25
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Define Dancing View Post
Let me back up a bit. My fiancee's dad is a huge Dead Head, and he gave me a burned CD for Christmas one year when I was in high school, and it was my first exposure to the Dead. The two tracks that got me into the band were Scarlet>Fire from 3.22.90. Just an incredible experience. My second exposure to the Dead was when I got way too stoned with a friend and he told me to lay down and listen to the music. He played some crazy version of Dark Star. At that point I was a casual fan. What really got me hooked was seeing a video of Blow Away from the '89 JFK show. That was it. That live album became a go to and that's when I became a real fan. The Brent era remains my favorite.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #26
jeff1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Two Princes is such a good song.
I can't stand this song.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
Bluewater34
Is Old

That’s cool. You’re allowed to have bad taste.

I’m kidding, just in case that isn’t clear.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #28
always40

Going to try to keep it to the foundation stones for me. These albums were in many ways just entry ways into so much more wonderful music, but great in their own right.

Eric Clapton Unplugged - I got into music very late and this was the first album I ever had. I played that thing into the ground, and certainly helped develop my love for both acoustic based and live music.

DMB Under the Table and Dreaming - So many melodic hooks on this one, and so much fun and joy. This one started my obsession with this band, which was when I really fell in love with music for the first time. They're the core of my love for music, and everything sort of spreads from here.

Led Zeppelin box set - Kind of cheating to use a box set, but this is the way it happened. My best friend in college bought this boxed set and played it all the time. My first exposure to them. I was instantly in love.

Radiohead Ok Computer - This was maybe the first album that I listened to initially and had no idea what I just heard. I just couldn't process. It took me a while to digest and appreciate the greatness. Really helped me develop the desire to give music a chance to simmer and settle to enjoy.

The Beatles White Album

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College - Hate to put two DMB related albums here, but this one is too important. It's the album that inspired me to pick up and learn the guitar. I couldn't believe they could capture so much intricacies of the full band sound with two acoustic guitars. I play guitar almost daily now and don't know what I'd do without it.

Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - I wouldn't have stuck with this album and enjoyed it if not for OK Computer. I put it down for a full year before coming back to. They are the band I've seen live 2nd most now.

Ray Lamontagne Trouble - Just an instant classic. The songwriting, the voice. This album sent me on a search and find for singer songwriters from the past and helped me love and appreciate the singer songwriter format forever.

Will have to finish my list later...
always40 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc