These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #121
greykitkat36

I remember when Grey Street first got played live that summer, man it was incredible. I remember a lot of people claiming it was one of DMBs best songs they’ve written up to that point. Sucks how much the song has degraded to where it’s a chore to get it live now.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #122
DMBCLSTJ

I think its also played WAY too fast. Even Dave solo is played too fast.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #123
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Still one of my favorite versions:

cgator41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #124
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post

I actually got chills watching that. What a performance. Top-notch by each member. I almost forgot this was that DMB sounded like.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #125
Cortez 4

Really wish Dave hadn't switched off that chestnut Taylor 12-string. Might also be the mix here, but sounds so much more full than the Rockbridge.
Cortez 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #126
dmb1981

Quote:

Hadn’t watched that in years. Talk about night and day. What a performance.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:21 AM   #127
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:

Was thinking of posting this. My favourite live version.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #128
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Incredible version. I miss wheb Dave’s voice sounded like that. I think a big problem is how Short and staccato Jeff and Rashawn play Rois part. They play it like “da, da da da” rois is more drawn out “daaa da da daaa” big difference.

Also, just compared the tempos of this version and one from summer 2018, surprisingly not as different as I thought it’d be. This version is roughly 98bpm, 2018 is around 103/104. Though even that little bit makes a huge difference to me.

Some songs are played slower now still than back in the mid 90s though. Tripping Billies is a good 5bpm slower now than back then. But I do feel like Grey Street needs to fit in that slower pocket for the groove to work.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #129
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Incredible version. I miss wheb Dave’s voice sounded like that. I think a big problem is how Short and staccato Jeff and Rashawn play Rois part. They play it like “da, da da da” rois is more drawn out “daaa da da daaa” big difference.

Also, just compared the tempos of this version and one from summer 2018, surprisingly not as different as I thought it’d be. This version is roughly 98bpm, 2018 is around 103/104. Though even that little bit makes a huge difference to me.

Some songs are played slower now still than back in the mid 90s though. Tripping Billies is a good 5bpm slower now than back then. But I do feel like Grey Street needs to fit in that slower pocket for the groove to work.
Completely agree with you here, and I think much of that is due to the speed they are playing it. There is isnt enough room for the song to breath at all. I also miss BT's fills particular the counter melody he plays towards the end.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #130
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
To each their own, but you don't think some of the 2000/2001 live versions can top this one? 8/3/01 pop's out to me, although there is video of it that I know of. Much of the early 2000 versions give me chills.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #131
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
To each their own, but you don't think some of the 2000/2001 live versions can top this one? 8/3/01 pop's out to me, although there is video of it that I know of. Much of the early 2000 versions give me chills.
I actually prefer the song much more when it had the set lyrics, it sounded more finished and complete. It was fun when it first debuted, but I definitely like the full fledged song much more so.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #132
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I like that last call grey street. But not a huge fan of butch’s contributions on this one. Luckily it’s low in the mix.

I think he should have gone with a piano.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #133
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I remember when Grey Street first got played live that summer, man it was incredible. I remember a lot of people claiming it was one of DMBs best songs they’ve written up to that point. Sucks how much the song has degraded to where it’s a chore to get it live now.
The very first version is still my favourite. Bartender too. Perfect right out of the gate.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #134
SeanMH
dark little place

its ovverrated but makes me wonder why Dave brought it back... will it stick around? if he does random stuff like this, he can do so much more

http://db.etree.org/seanmhdvd

I'm short this week for bills, Paypal to help (anything helps): dreamingtree41@gmail.com

thanks so much!
SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc