These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #3501
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Dave isn't wrong about the entitled fans. We've basically been telling him how to do his job for the last 15 years. That's gotta wear you out eventually.
Look, even now, you're telling him how to behave. If I was Dave and I read your comment giving me pointers on how to answer interview questions, my first reaction would probably be "fuck off."
But then there is the flip side - the hardcores spread the music, study the music, live and breath the music, so when the band starts to produce shitty music and then play that shitty music for over a decade, it's understandable fans would want to voice an opinion and try and help....

This to me signals they didn't care to replace Boyd with another violin player and think they can get away from that important instrument in their sound....well fuck you DMB.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #3502
patsfan39

That was some damning words about Boyd. He really finally spoke his mind on it.

On the fans, its so interesting to me he does seem to hate that his fans know about his music. Trey embraces it and does amazing unique things for them. They are constantly growing and evolving that way. Dave and the band seem happy to play Jimi Thing for the 1 millonth time every night.

Now with that said, I do think Dave loves to go back and forth with his fans like this. When he gets the right push, he does some amazing things. He comes off as resentful, but its really tough love that were giving him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #3503
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
But then there is the flip side - the hardcores spread the music, study the music, live and breath the music, so when the band starts to produce shitty music and then play that shitty music for over a decade, it's understandable fans would want to voice an opinion and try and help....

This to me signals they didn't care to replace Boyd with another violin player and think they can get away from that important instrument in their sound....well fuck you DMB.

Honestly, if the music was that shitty, a great way to voice an opinion to the band, is to step back from the fandom, stop going to shows and supporting music you can't relate to anymore. Bitching on a message board or Twitter won't resolve a thing.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #3504
BigVodka

Quote:
so when the band starts to produce shitty music and then play that shitty music for over a decade, it's understandable fans would want to voice an opinion and try and help....
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #3505
batleon

Quote:

Honestly though is that even true anymore? Back in the day maybe but these days I don't think the hardcore fans are out there preaching the good word about DMB to the masses...

We have some serious entitlement issues. Are we really doing anything good for the band? We're a tiny portion of their revenue at this point. And all we do is bitch really. They don't need us anymore.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #3506
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Honestly though is that even true anymore? Back in the day maybe but these days I don't think the hardcore fans are out there preaching the good word about DMB to the masses...

We have some serious entitlement issues. Are we really doing anything good for the band? We're a tiny portion of their revenue at this point. And all we do is bitch really. They don't need us anymore.
This about sums things up.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #3507
batleon

Seriously the band has put out over 100 live releases... you could pay twice as much to see a band that's half as good or you could grab a few drinks, pick a few of the good releases or maybe some AUDs from show you attended, and just sit back and chill. If you need some recommendations on what to listen to I know this great message board with some knowledgeable hardcore fans who know their shit... not that the band cares about those guys
Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #3508
Josh.0

Kinda agree with typ. He’s got a little “aging Neil Young” in him where he can seem a little bitter about harmless shit.

Sometimes I wonder if Dave still has alcohol problems that affect his mood. He just says oddly passive-aggressive shit sometimes about things that really shouldn’t bother him too much. With that said, I always hear great things about him from people that’ve met him, but he really loves flipping the bird towards his fans in interviews, doesn’t he?
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #3509
mario

Looks like we're about four posts away from "Dave's finally telling the truth about everything because he has teh Aids" level inanity.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #3510
SomeDevil17

“Plastic asshole” in the interview. kit kam jam at the next show calling it
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #3511
batleon

Maybe the guy just annoyed him. These interviews don't happen in a vacuum. Dave may be super nice when the interactions are genuine. He may be irritable when the interactions are scripted...
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #3512
shadowraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I wonder if the loyalty comment is related to Crystal Garden.
I mean that's obviously the official line. They're not going to say he was sexually harassing people.

DMB is a nostalgia show. If they don't want another violinist for the new music and albums, fine. But they should hire a touring violinist for the classics. It's not like Boyd's sound is all that hard to mimic - I know plenty of cover bands who would jump at the chance.

Shows seen - http://www.DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=1485

I saw the last Angel.
shadowraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #3513
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Dave isn't wrong about the entitled fans. We've basically been telling him how to do his job for the last 15 years. That's gotta wear you out eventually.
Well, he's also been writing roughly the same uninspired sets for the last 15 years even as their catalog continues to grow, and continues to play favorites to special venues. So maybe he needs some advice.

Quote:
Look, even now, you're telling him how to behave. If I was Dave and I read your comment giving me pointers on how to answer interview questions, my first reaction would probably be "fuck off."
"Telling him how to behave" because I have an issue with his demeanor in interviews? So you mean basically I can't have an opinion. Someone can critique Dave without demanding anything from him.

I get it, if he's got an issue with a bunch of dmbfamily crazies stalking him, or fans getting in his face demanding autographs and pictures, I get the resentment at the sense of entitlement. But a fan that asks politely for a picture, or suggests to him a favorite song to play, or that generally he could consider opening up the catalog? That's not acting entitled, that's just being a fan who cares. Granted, we really don't know what kind of entitlement Dave was referring to.

And at the end of the day he's still a rock star and should know what comes with that territory. I guess it seems he's grown tired of that territory and subconsciously wants to distance himself from his fans so they stop caring and he can get the fuck out of the dmbmachine. I get it I guess. Bad for business, but I get it.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #3514
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post

I don't "promote" them like I used to, they suck compared to what they used to be lol.
I would say the hardcores that are still here are a major part of their staying power too. I don't know of any new fans that going multi shows like the hardcores do.
Do they need us, no but they would see a huge hit in attendance and income if hardcores stopped showing up.
That said, it doesn't give us the right to bitch but it also doesn't mean we can't
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #3515
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

It doesn’t bother him if you show up at his house, but if you ask about the 3rd verse, you’re a piece of shit
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #3516
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Granted, we really don't know what kind of entitlement Dave was referring to.
I think this is an important point. He could be referring to the same people we have issues with - the crazy assholes in the family. They don't bitch about the same things we do (song choice, quality of performance, rashawn fucking it all up), but they are entitled in their own ways. Particularly their behavior at shows.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #3517
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I think this is an important point. He could be referring to the same people we have issues with - the crazy assholes in the family. They don't bitch about the same things we do (song choice, quality of performance, rashawn fucking it all up), but they are entitled in their own ways. Particularly their behavior at shows.
*double post*
Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #3518
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
This is what I first thought of.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #3519
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
I’m pretty sure this is exaxtly who he is talking about. He’s talking about the family going to the beach and filming his family. Showing up at his house, etc. He gave that interview last year talking about being a party band and not liking it. The people asking about the 3rd verse in Grey St are there for the music more than the party. I think that is the passion Dave appreciates. Does it annoy him at times, probably, but I think he’d rather a fan of his music tell him they love monkey man at a meet and greet, then some sketch balls tracking the hotels he stays at to try to get seats by him at the pool.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #3520
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
How do they behave at shows? Are these the assholes that sing the “Thank You” chorus over every song?
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc