These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #1041
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
As I mentioned Cornbread was fun in '08 because Tim and the horns were doing different stuff with it every night. This show the horns chose to interpolate Green Acres which was hilarious.
Love this version of Corn Bread, by far my favorite.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #1042
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Love this version of Corn Bread, by far my favorite.
It's too bad they eventually just got into a repetitive "Tim shreds > horns play Down By the Riverside" funk. No creativity left. This Green Acres version highlights how the June '08 lineup could take something tired and breathe new life into it.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #1043
Bluewater34
Is Old

Anybody have a copy of that Cornbread handy they could put up? I'd like to hear that.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #1044
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

6/24 was cool. 6/25 was an absolute blast.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:50 AM   #1045
greykitkat36

I really hate Cornbread. Always did. Tim added a nice lift to it, but I dread it every time its played tbh. One song I would not mind going away for a while.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #1046
batleon

Dave Matthews Band
June 25, 2008
Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA

Spoiler:
Don't Drink the Water
Crash into Me
Louisiana Bayou
Loving Wings
Corn Bread
Jimi Thing
Money »
So Damn Lucky
The Idea of You
Where Are You Going
Seek Up
Two Step
-----------------------------------
Sister
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

This was my 19th show.

Wait, only 15 songs? The original band plus Tim? Lots of long, jammy classics - #41, Jimi, Seek Up, and Two Step - all in the same set? Is this a Fall '98 show or a June '08 show?

OK maybe that's a bit much but I do consider this as close to Fall '98 as you can get. This set is short and maybe doesn't have the best flow, and the encore is questionable - blame the Mansfield curfew for all of these things - but it's a good little show. Roi is all over it, great fills everywhere. Some of the highlights:

- A nice one-two punch of DDTW and #41 to open with great work from both Roi and Timmy on both
- Bayou in the four slot rather than late set, a nice touch
- Another cool Money with a segue into SDL
- Idea of You sounds good here
- Seek Up and Two Step to end the main set? Yeah who wouldn't take that

The real star of this show though - the Loving Wings. This is an all time classic version busted out of nowhere. Everyone is on point. Roi's work is gorgeous, Rashawn is restrained and tasteful, then Timmy takes off and lifts it into the stratosphere, and Carter takes it home. Just gorgeous.

The lowlights:
- It does bum me out that they felt the need to repeat Cornbread and SDL when songs like PFWYG, Rhyme & Reason, and So Much > Too Much (which, as I've noted were never better than they were at this time) were cut during this two night stand.
- Late set WAYG was like a nutpunch. I thought we'd dodged that bullet when they didn't go into WAYG after Loving Wings was over.
- The encore... meh. I don't hate on Thank You like other people do, but it was starting to get tired at this point and putting Sister E1 before it was a poor choice.

Honestly though I loved this show. It has a chill, jammy vibe that you rarely get from post-2000 DMB. This was the end of my June '08 run and I remember thinking as I left that show that if I never saw DMB play again after this I would be satisfied as a fan. Ironic looking back, because in a way, I never really HAVE seen that same band again and I never will

Rating: ****1/2 Good show with some missteps

LT Desire: I guess not. But for the love of God please, please, please release this Loving Wings someday. This is pure unadulterated DMB joy in a single performance.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #1047
Tomacco

Off the top of my head,I can't think of a Loving Wings I've heard with a Tim solo... got a YouTube link for this 6/25/08 one by any chance?
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #1048
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Off the top of my head,I can't think of a Loving Wings I've heard with a Tim solo... got a YouTube link for this 6/25/08 one by any chance?
Sorry, just saw this, sadly I don't have anything on me at the moment.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #1049
batleon

Dave Matthews Band
June 12, 2009
Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY

Spoiler:
Funny the Way It Is
Pig
Can't Stop [tease]
Seven
Recently
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Alligator Pie
Crush
Lying in the Hands of God
Why I Am
The Dreaming Tree
Spaceman »
Corn Bread
You & Me
Squirm
Burning Down the House
Ants Marching
Grey Street
Rye Whiskey
#40 [tease]
The Maker
Stay (Wasting Time)

This was my 20th show.

What an interesting show. Big Whiskey had just been released so they were pushing the album hard, but the band had been touring all spring and were playing a lot of other great songs and just killing it every night. So while this show was very Big Whiskey heavy (9 songs) it made sense at the time and the other songs played that night were all great choices.

These were great songs: Pig, Recently, Crush, and Dreaming Tree in particular were all fantastic. There were other good choices here as well, Ants and then Grey Street to close the main set was nice. Cornbread though, eh, this had really descended into the pointless noise-fest it is known to be now, a far cry from the interesting versions in 2007 and 2008.

The Big Whiskey songs were all pretty good here as well. Shake Me was debuted that night, which was a big deal at the time since it was one of the only BW songs that hadn't been played yet (little did we know how ridiculously overplayed the song was about to become). People were excited to be at SPAC, excited about the new album, and clearly so was the band. There was just a great energy in the air.

The encore is decent as well, though it doesn't look like anything special. The Maker is great E1 and Stay gets dismissed as overplayed but it really is a good closer.

Dave commented at the beginning of the encore that they had "played everything he knew" so they would "have to try something new tomorrow" which shows that what happened during this stand was planned. This was the standard show with lots of Big Whiskey and some of the heavy hitters they'd been nailing all Spring, night two was going to be bust-out-fest. But this show is pretty good. If you like Big Whiskey you'll like this one.

Rating: ***3/4

LT Desire: Not unless it's packaged with night two.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #1050
batleon

Dave Matthews Band
June 13, 2009

Spoiler:
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Typical Situation
Alligator Pie
You Might Die Trying
Dive In »
The Stone
Funny the Way It Is
Lie in Our Graves
Why I Am
Jimi Thing
You & Me
The Song That Jane Likes
Crash into Me
Time Bomb »
Two Step
#40 [partial]
Halloween [tease]
Granny »
Water into Wine [tease] »
All Along the Watchtower »
Halloween

This was my 20th show. Ah yes, the much discussed and debated SPAC N2 show from '09.

Shake Me opener was almost expected after it's debut the previous night. But to then go into Typical in the second slot? It was immediately apparent that something was going on that night.

From that point on amidst more than half of Big Whiskey in the setlist (including a killer debut for Dive In with a gorgeous unexpected outro) DMB sprinkled in not one, not two, not even three, but SIX tour debuts (I'm counting #40) at a point in the touring year when something like that was unheard of. And these weren't just any songs. We're talking about some of the most beloved and classic songs in their catalog. Every time we thought we were done with debuts they busted out another one.

After Typical they went back into more expected territory with Alligator Pie and YMDT (and this is one of my favorite versions of the song, with Dave mixing some nice improv into the usual scatting in the outro). Then the aforementioned Dive In debut. Like this song or not they did a great job with this outro (Boyd doesn't do good work like this very often anymore). Then a Stone debut? Very nice. So they stray into normal territory again with Funny and LITHOG and then BAM another debut, this time Graves. The crowd was getting worked up.

This was a good Jimi and the perfect example of Jimi's ability to make a good show better just as often as it makes a bad show worse. The You & Me follow up was nothing special but then ANOTHER debut, this time Jane. At this point I think the crowd realized the floodgates were opening and chants for various songs started up. Crash and Time Bomb >> Two Step were standard to finish the set (though they were certainly still crushing Two Step at this time).

This encore though. Dave comes out alone and busts out a partial #40 which just sets the whole place off. After that the chants for Halloween really took off (there were mild chants for Last Stop as well). Instead the band goes into Granny which was just perfectly placed here. Finally the expected Watchtower closer starts up, and I love this version as well - this is the Stairway to Heaven interpolation with just the horns which is nice because I feel like Dave's Stairway vocal misses the mark. This was an A+ show at that point, but as soon as Watchtower slams to a halt Carter immediately started up the Halloween intro, and I can't even begin to describe what a jolt that was. Nice Halloween with one more killer Carter solo at the end and the band said good night.

Now then a lot was said about this show. Those of us who were there swear by it. Setlist watchers creamed over this at first, but then people who listened to this tape called the show "sloppy." Are there some missteps? Yes. In Typical Jeff misses the first transition to 6/8 and maybe the jam isn't as strong as other versions from later in the tour. In The Stone the band messes up but if you weren't intimately familiar with how this band plays the song typically you would completely miss it. Graves unfortunately is subpar, but that is solely due to a somewhat weak solo from Boyd. But that's about it for "sloppiness"

I totally get the criticism but I was a little shocked because isn't this what we want from the band? Don't we want them to take more chances? If they do they're not always going to nail it out of the park. But on a tour supporting an album this is the perfect setlist - heavy album play, sure, but solid favorites (Jimi, Two Step, Watchtower) that the general audience loves hearing and the band loves playing, and then great songs that the hardcore fanbase clamors for and never gets tired of (Typical, Stone, Jane, #40). It's a perfect mix.

If you haven't listened to the show judge for yourself. Some shows are good and it holds up on tape, but some shows are "you had to be there" good and there's nothing wrong with a show like that either.

Rating: ****1/2 I will fully dock this show a little bit for the aforementioned "sloppiness" but would still take a show like this any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

LT Desire: I would take it, but not before a number of other SPAC shows that are better than this one.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #1051
dmb2much40

Hmm interesting review. This show is very similar to the one a week later that was released as LT35, which most people around here weren't very impressed with.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #1052
SeekUpAB

I was expecting the newest LT to be a lot better because of my memories from that SPAC show. Nice reviews though. We've gone to all the same shows so its nice looking back and being reminded of all this stuff.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #1053
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Dave Matthews Band
June 13, 2009

Spoiler:
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Typical Situation
Alligator Pie
You Might Die Trying
Dive In »
The Stone
Funny the Way It Is
Lie in Our Graves
Why I Am
Jimi Thing
You & Me
The Song That Jane Likes
Crash into Me
Time Bomb »
Two Step
#40 [partial]
Halloween [tease]
Granny »
Water into Wine [tease] »
All Along the Watchtower »
Halloween

This was my 20th show. Ah yes, the much discussed and debated SPAC N2 show from '09.

Shake Me opener was almost expected after it's debut the previous night. But to then go into Typical in the second slot? It was immediately apparent that something was going on that night.

From that point on amidst more than half of Big Whiskey in the setlist (including a killer debut for Dive In with a gorgeous unexpected outro) DMB sprinkled in not one, not two, not even three, but SIX tour debuts (I'm counting #40) at a point in the touring year when something like that was unheard of. And these weren't just any songs. We're talking about some of the most beloved and classic songs in their catalog. Every time we thought we were done with debuts they busted out another one.

After Typical they went back into more expected territory with Alligator Pie and YMDT (and this is one of my favorite versions of the song, with Dave mixing some nice improv into the usual scatting in the outro). Then the aforementioned Dive In debut. Like this song or not they did a great job with this outro (Boyd doesn't do good work like this very often anymore). Then a Stone debut? Very nice. So they stray into normal territory again with Funny and LITHOG and then BAM another debut, this time Graves. The crowd was getting worked up.

This was a good Jimi and the perfect example of Jimi's ability to make a good show better just as often as it makes a bad show worse. The You & Me follow up was nothing special but then ANOTHER debut, this time Jane. At this point I think the crowd realized the floodgates were opening and chants for various songs started up. Crash and Time Bomb >> Two Step were standard to finish the set (though they were certainly still crushing Two Step at this time).

This encore though. Dave comes out alone and busts out a partial #40 which just sets the whole place off. After that the chants for Halloween really took off (there were mild chants for Last Stop as well). Instead the band goes into Granny which was just perfectly placed here. Finally the expected Watchtower closer starts up, and I love this version as well - this is the Stairway to Heaven interpolation with just the horns which is nice because I feel like Dave's Stairway vocal misses the mark. This was an A+ show at that point, but as soon as Watchtower slams to a halt Carter immediately started up the Halloween intro, and I can't even begin to describe what a jolt that was. Nice Halloween with one more killer Carter solo at the end and the band said good night.

Now then a lot was said about this show. Those of us who were there swear by it. Setlist watchers creamed over this at first, but then people who listened to this tape called the show "sloppy." Are there some missteps? Yes. In Typical Jeff misses the first transition to 6/8 and maybe the jam isn't as strong as other versions from later in the tour. In The Stone the band messes up but if you weren't intimately familiar with how this band plays the song typically you would completely miss it. Graves unfortunately is subpar, but that is solely due to a somewhat weak solo from Boyd. But that's about it for "sloppiness"

I totally get the criticism but I was a little shocked because isn't this what we want from the band? Don't we want them to take more chances? If they do they're not always going to nail it out of the park. But on a tour supporting an album this is the perfect setlist - heavy album play, sure, but solid favorites (Jimi, Two Step, Watchtower) that the general audience loves hearing and the band loves playing, and then great songs that the hardcore fanbase clamors for and never gets tired of (Typical, Stone, Jane, #40). It's a perfect mix.

If you haven't listened to the show judge for yourself. Some shows are good and it holds up on tape, but some shows are "you had to be there" good and there's nothing wrong with a show like that either.

Rating: ****1/2 I will fully dock this show a little bit for the aforementioned "sloppiness" but would still take a show like this any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

LT Desire: I would take it, but not before a number of other SPAC shows that are better than this one.
excellent review. I was at this show as well, and it was absolutely amazing. Not as good as 6.21.08, but an incredible show regardless.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #1054
batleon

Dave Matthews Band
May 29, 2010
Comcast Theatre, Hartford, CT

Spoiler:
Big Eyed Fish »
Bartender
Why I Am
So Damn Lucky
So Right
Everyday
Sweet Up and Down
Jimi Thing
Crash into Me
Corn Bread »
Stand Up (For It) [partial]
The Needle and the Damage Done
Don't Drink the Water
Shake Me Like a Monkey »
Two Step
Baby Blue
All Along the Watchtower

This was my 22nd show. Expectations were high after the crazy tour opener that included 4 liberations and a new song debut. Stefan had been tweeting about playing entire albums in one show and no BTCS songs had been played N1, so the possibility was there. This show didn't live up to the hype though unfortunately.

The show opens with the first Big Eyed Fish played on US soil since 2006, then goes into great versions of Bartender, Why I Am, So Damn Lucky, and LITHOG, all songs that this lineup was crushing at the time. Next came another liberation, So Right. For a song that hadn't been played by this lineup they really nailed it. The Everyday follow up wasn't bad.

Then came the Sweet Up and Down bustout (just shy of being a liberation itself). Now the band was sounding decent that night but 2010 marked the beginning of the decline of Dave's ability to improv. I was excited to finally catch Sweet Up and Down, a personal favorite, but Dave's lyrics and vocal delivery were not up to snuff. It's really unfortunate too, someone should have gotten him the LWS lyrics for the teleprompter on this song because it just didn't deliver.

After that the second half of the set is OK. I know Jimi is overplayed but DMB 3.0 kills this song, everybody sounds great on it (even Boyd) and I enjoy hearing it at a show. After Crash the band goes into Cornbread though, and at this point I was pretty tired of the song (because the song was pretty tired). Then it randomly went into a partial version of Stand Up. Weird that this was partial, why not do the whole song? When they only did half of it then it became more apparent that the majority of the song is just the band shouting "Stand Up!" over and over again.

Needle and the Damage Done was nice. BTCS finally made an appearance with DDTW. Then Shake Me > Two Step to end the main set. OK. At the beginning of the encore Dave mentions that he keeps messing up Baby Blue, then proceeds to play a botched version of Baby Blue. Watchtower is interesting, when Boyd's solo comes up his wah wah pedal seems to shit the bed, leading him to play a more old school sounding solo (which I enjoyed at the time).

All in all this was a pretty average 3.0 show and a rough follow up to the liberation fest of N1. There is good here: somehow they only played 4 Big Whiskey songs that night and one of them was a killer LITHOG. Really the whole first half of the show is great, including that sweet So Right liberation. The bad is here too though: a poorly executed SU&D by Dave, Boyd is starting to skree more (his degeneration was starting as well), and just very little creativity in the second half and encore of this show.

Rating: **1/2

LT Desire: No thanks.

Honestly I'm getting pretty tired of 3.0 shows at this point, so I'm going to take a break (though I'll eventually go back and listen to the 9 other shows I attended since this one) and listen to some old school stuff instead.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #1055
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
This was a special version. Different structure from the usual
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #1056
batleon

Yeah I don't have it on hand but somebody here must. It's a special version.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #1057
NewAgedNerd

Been back-reading this thread and I figured I would contribute.

Dave Matthews Band
July 25, 1998
Blockbuster–Sony Music Entertainment Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Spoiler:
LeRoi solo
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
Two Step
Stay (Wasting Time)
Lover Lay Down
Tripping Billies
Seek Up »
Crush
Don't Drink the Water
The Dreaming Tree
For the Beauty of Wynona
Jimi Thing
Crash into Me
Dancing Nancies
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much
The Song That Jane Likes
All Along the Watchtower

So lately I've been listening to mostly newer shows, stuff from this tour or last tour in order to catch up, but I've decided that I wanted a break from the louderfasterstyle of 3.0 and go back to 1998.

I've always been a fan of the show from the previous night, however I never managed to listen to the entirety of this show, until now.

The show begins with a nice quiet Leroi solo (a preview of what would eventually grow into Heartbeat Jam later in the year) that builds into PNP followed by the obligatory Rapunzel.
Right out of the gate Dave essentially flubs the entire first verse. It's actually kind of funny to me at this point, hearing how often he manages to flub on this particular song. Despite this however
this version is otherwise fine, with some great soloing by Roi in the outro.

The Two Step and Stay run that follows is real nice, I had forgotten how good Two Step sounded back in the 90's and Stay was a nice treat.

Lover Lay Down features some lovely playing by Roi, letting up after the mostly energetic opening run.

After this is mostly phased out some, Billies was your standard Billies, and the Seek Up was nice but not quite up to the same level as the previous nights'.
I was slightly disappointed by this Crush, perhaps I'm used to the tightness this song would grow to have later in its life but this one felt as if they weren't sure what to do with the outro yet.

The next three songs feature Greg Howard playing the Chapman stick, but other than some fills during the jam outro of Dreaming Tree his contributions to these songs don't really show up on tape.

The remainder of the set takes a slight dip. Jimi and Crash are fine but Boyd is a little shaky on this Nancies, and it sounds like Stephan was having trouble during Bridge > Too Much so these songs feel somewhat empty.

Song That Jane Likes is a nice treat, but the highlight of the encore was Watchtower. The song is precluded by a ncie Jam between Carter and Greg Howard, and the song proper features a nice performance all around, with the outro getting really full
and intense. The show could've easily burned out and fizzled after the issues earlier however this closer manages to save the night and leave me satisfied after listening on tape.

Overall I think I prefer Night 1 by a wide margin, however this show is still fairly solid, and I would definitely go back and listen to some of the highlights (especially the opening run up until Crush)

Hearing shows like this always makes me sad that I missed out on this period of the band (as I was far too young to go to concerts or be interested in DMB), however I'm grateful to tapers and others in the community that
make it possible for these great shows to be easily heard.

Rating: ***1/2

LT Desire: Would prefer to have N1, however I wouldnt mind the highlights from this show being released as a bonus disc to go with it.
NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #1058
celluloid hero

Welcome to thread, nice review and you checked all the required boxes.

I go back and forth on these shows. I listen to them every few years when I get in Summer 1998 mode, and I remember downloading full show mp3s from Moosey's, and I have very clear memories of at least two road trips where I listened to them back to back. I always have it in my head that night 2 is the better show despite night 1 being the better setlist. They feel so energized and tighter than night 1.

My Live Trax desire for one Greg Howard show, either the Summer or the Fall 1998s is very high. I'd be good with either of these two full shows with highlights of the other.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #1059
NewAgedNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Welcome to thread, nice review and you checked all the required boxes.

I go back and forth on these shows. I listen to them every few years when I get in Summer 1998 mode, and I remember downloading full show mp3s from Moosey's, and I have very clear memories of at least two road trips where I listened to them back to back. I always have it in my head that night 2 is the better show despite night 1 being the better setlist. They feel so energized and tighter than night 1.

My Live Trax desire for one Greg Howard show, either the Summer or the Fall 1998s is very high. I'd be good with either of these two full shows with highlights of the other.
Thanks! I've been lurking around for a while, alwas loved reading this thread, definitely made sure I followed the guidelines.

The greg howard shows I would really want would be 10.29 or 10.30, those two shows are favorites of mine.
NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #1060
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd View Post
Thanks! I've been lurking around for a while, alwas loved reading this thread, definitely made sure I followed the guidelines.

The greg howard shows I would really want would be 10.29 or 10.30, those two shows are favorites of mine.
Interesting. Out of his run there based on memory, I'd go: 10/31, 10/29, 10/26, 10/30, 10/27. I'll have to check out 10/30 again next week. It's been a long time.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc