These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 29,993
What DMB show/performance got you hooked?

Spinoff, but this should be a good read

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I remember watching the Woodstock '99 set on Pay Per View (you know, the not legal way,) and that was what totally hooked me on the band. I'd listened to them before, but that show sucked me in completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblaststop View Post
That was Farm Aid 97 for me. Watching that live totally hooked me. Had me searching online about them and finding out about Nancies, dmbta, and tape trading.

This is a spinoff, but would be cool to hear what show/performance that was for others. Not necessarily favorite or best but what show/performance got you hooked.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 31,686
Hearing WWYS on the radio caught my attention, then seeing the video on MTV got me interested, then hearing Dancing Nancies for the first time on UTTAD made me a fan but I think it was Farm Aid '95 (10/1/95, saw my first show exactly one year later on 10/1/96) that I never looked back. Got into the tape-trading community a month later.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,049
My first show (4/11/95). In late '94, while I was trading Dead tapes via AOL, I saw a couple mentions of DMB. Right around when UTTAD came out. So I went to a nearby record store where you could listen before you buy, listened to the first couple of songs, and by the time I got to my boy Popper blowing the harp on WWYS I knew I was buying it. Turned my wife (wow, we had just gotten married) and friends on to the album and then a few months later, we all saw them with Big Head Todd in the 3rd row of a theater right near us in Florida. And I was hooked.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 15,131
Was always an above average casual fan, had all the albums, saw a few shows here and there but only because friends were going. But after three shows I really had no plans to see them again.

One friend had never seen them and wanted to go and I had a coworker who was going so I got tickets to 7/7/04. That was the night that put me over the top from casual to crazy. I spontaneously drove to Hartford without tickets the following week and saw them from the lawn on 7/16/04, first time I'd seen more than one show in a tour. I was on the boards and downloading tapes shortly after that.

For the record here are my thoughts on 7/7/04:
Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Dave Matthews Band
July 7, 2004
Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts, Mansfield, MA

Spoiler:
Too Much
Granny
Pig
Sugar Will
Bartender
When the World Ends
Drive In Drive Out
Crazy Easy
Grace Is Gone
Recently
Grey Street
Hello Again
Ants Marching
Cry Freedom
Joyride »
Everyday
Stay (Wasting Time)
-----------------------------------
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel


This was my fourth show and it's a tape I go to often. Every time I pull it out I think "this show can't be as good as I remember it being" and then I listen and realize it just is. Is that because '04 was so consistently good? I'd like to think that's part of it but honestly I think this one is good even by '04 standards.

What I always remember about this show is the back half (more about that later) but listening to this again I realize just how strong the front of this show is. The opening five song run is fantastic with strong versions of each song. The DIDO is particularly energetic including a "Boston Tea Party of my own" line that gets a strong pop from the crowd. Songs like Bartender and Grace were just at their peak at this time, the Bartender is long but not too long with great passion from Dave and good solos from Butch and Roi, and the Grace is tight with great stuff from Leroi.

The second half of this show just kills it, kicking off with a fiery Grey Street/Hello Again/Ants 1-2-3 punch. Following that with a beautiful Cry Freedom as a cool down is just perfect. Considering they were closing a lot of shows in '04 with Everyday the Stay closer is welcome and is actually really strong (rivaling the Stay from the same tour they released on a Warehouse disc a few years back).

And this encore, damn, it's tough to beat something like that. Very strong finish. Encores were soooooo good in '04.

My bias may be strong here but I think this show is a gem. The tape is subpar for tapes of the era so a release (maybe with some bonus material from N1 of the stand) would be very welcome.

****1/2
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,401
I got into DMB because of my brother in summer 1998. I heard: BTCS then UTTAD then Crash (weird order, but it set the tone). He came home winter break 98 with Red Rocks 95 and I was hooked.

Then a few things happened in a few months that really solidified it. I started listening to Luther. I recorded the PBS special (parts of listener supported) and then D/T storytellers on the same VHS and wore that out.

A few years later I was on napster hearing Grey Street change every single night (00/01) and found the boards. 70ish shows later here I am
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I got into DMB because of my brother in summer 1998. I heard: BTCS then UTTAD then Crash (weird order, but it set the tone). He came home winter break 98 with Red Rocks 95 and I was hooked.

Then a few things happened in a few months that really solidified it. I started listening to Luther. I recorded the PBS special (parts of listener supported) and then D/T storytellers on the same VHS and wore that out.

A few years later I was on napster hearing Grey Street change every single night (00/01) and found the boards. 70ish shows later here I am
Our timeline is identical. Including the order I listened to the albums for the first time. Only I've seen just over 100

I'll never forget hearing Grey Street and Bartender over that 2000 summer. I must have listened to those tour opener first versions 1000 times.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Was always an above average casual fan, had all the albums, saw a few shows here and there but only because friends were going. But after three shows I really had no plans to see them again.

One friend had never seen them and wanted to go and I had a coworker who was going so I got tickets to 7/7/04. That was the night that put me over the top from casual to crazy. I spontaneously drove to Hartford without tickets the following week and saw them from the lawn on 7/16/04, first time I'd seen more than one show in a tour. I was on the boards and downloading tapes shortly after that.

For the record here are my thoughts on 7/7/04:
I was very very baked at that show and remember being completely enamored with the stage screens during Sugar Will. I still remember exactly what it looked like, kind of like static-y lines, and staring at it like "fuuuuuck."
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,682
Crush was the first song that made me realize I liked the band, though at the time I didn't really know much about who they were or really pursue listing to them more. I remember hearing the song on the radio and just kinda liking it.

Then I was driving around NH one night when I was probably 15 and my friend's brother had the Crash album on and I was like "these guys are rad."

Then later, around '99, I realized it was the same band that played Crush. That's what planted the seeds, though I still wasn't a huge fan.

Then, honestly, I remember seeing The Space Between video and being like "oh yeah this is that band again" and kinda digging the song. I started looking more into the back catalogue then (for some reason The Space Between made me decide to listen back more than listen to the Everyday album) and I remember really falling in love with BTCS. I didn't know what to make of the music, I knew it was different and more complex than anything I'd listened to before, so I kept spinning the CD over and over.

I knew quickly The Stone was my favorite song I'd heard from them. But there was so much to like, it was like this really cool artistic concept that unraveled more and more into something else interesting the deeper I dug into it.

So, Crush is what first caught my ear, Crash (the album) turned me into a modest fan, then The Space Between triggered my desire to dig into everything they'd done before, which is when I became a hardcore.

Then I was supposed to see the band in 2001 but my friend lost our tickets, so I ended up seeing them for the first time in 2002 (Mansfield N2). After that show I knew I'd be listening to them for a long, long time. I was 100% hooked.

It's been an interesting journey for me because I used to HATE Dave's voice. I used to think you couldn't understand a word he was saying on some songs (I still feel that way from time to time). But, of course, the sonofabitch grew on me and now here I am about 20 years later.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 15,859
WWYS on MTV was something I liked a lot, but it was the UTTAD Ants that actually hooked me. It was maybe a week after I heard that I bought the album. If we’re talking about performances, it was Farm Aid ‘95, which I heard on a radio broadcast that completely blew my mind.
__________________
It’s all a load of bullocks, and bullocks to it all.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Hopper
 
Hopper's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,892
Was never a huge fan of the band, but also wasn’t aware of their reputation as a great live act. I was 17 and a co-worker asked if I wanted to tag along with him and some friends to go to a place called Alpine Valley to go see one of their concerts. I went so I could get away, get drunk, and see a concert. It was 8.20.00.

I don’t remember everything from the show as I got pretty drunk and was making out with some chick. Just that I loved it. But the next day, I had this new song of theirs stuck in my head called Grey Street.

And that was that.
__________________
-Brian
Hopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
K270
Kan Pai
 
K270's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 2,942
Purchased UTTAD and Crash from a CD club. I didn't open them right away. Received a ride home one day from a. co-worker and Too Much came on the radio. I liked the funk and asked him who was that. He told me Dave Matthews Band. I didn't believe him so I opened Crash and sure enough, it was DMB. Listened to both CDs and was hooked. That has to be early 1997. When BTCS came out I was at record store the day it came out. Went to my first concert in May 1998 and this was the set list:

[Only registered users can see links.]

When the first few notes of Too Much were played and all the lights on stage flashed bright, I was hooked.
__________________
~Kevin
K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I was very very baked at that show and remember being completely enamored with the stage screens during Sugar Will. I still remember exactly what it looked like, kind of like static-y lines, and staring at it like "fuuuuuck."
That effect for Sugar Will is probably still my favorite stage effect they've ever done. That was the first time I ever heard the song and I still think of that effect whenever I hear it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,401
03/04 was a great time to be a fan. The video effect for Sugar Will was tactful and right on the money.

I think their production is a little over the top the last while (falling curtains, massive video screens). I always liked how they used to just sort of saunter out onto the stage and would go right into a seek up. No frills.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #14
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I was very very baked at that show and remember being completely enamored with the stage screens during Sugar Will. I still remember exactly what it looked like, kind of like static-y lines, and staring at it like "fuuuuuck."
Weren't the Sugar Will screens blue back in '04? I remember them well to. Showing Roi in a psychedelic way on blue screens.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
 
Wildcats82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Clarksville, IN
Posts: 7,045
This is the performance that made me go from a guy that enjoyed DMB to being obsessed

__________________
DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=1434
Wildcats82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
WWYS on MTV was something I liked a lot, but it was the UTTAD Ants that actually hooked me. It was maybe a week after I heard that I bought the album. If we’re talking about performances, it was Farm Aid ‘95, which I heard on a radio broadcast that completely blew my mind.
I think that Farm Aid '95 show got a lot of us. I didn't see it personally until early '98, before streets came out but I remember being blown away.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
Was never a huge fan of the band, but also wasn’t aware of their reputation as a great live act. I was 17 and a co-worker asked if I wanted to tag along with him and some friends to go to a place called Alpine Valley to go see one of their concerts. I went so I could get away, get drunk, and see a concert. It was 8.20.00.

I don’t remember everything from the show as I got pretty drunk and was making out with some chick. Just that I loved it. But the next day, I had this new song of theirs stuck in my head called Grey Street.

And that was that.
Funny you mention 8.20.00. I've seen about 105 and that's in my top 3 shows I've seen. My first time at Alpine, the 5 of them rocking out and it was LOUD.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #18
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Purchased UTTAD and Crash from a CD club. I didn't open them right away. Received a ride home one day from a. co-worker and Too Much came on the radio. I liked the funk and asked him who was that. He told me Dave Matthews Band. I didn't believe him so I opened Crash and sure enough, it was DMB. Listened to both CDs and was hooked. That has to be early 1997. When BTCS came out I was at record store the day it came out. Went to my first concert in May 1998 and this was the set list:

[Only registered users can see links.]

When the first few notes of Too Much were played and all the lights on stage flashed bright, I was hooked.
What a ridiculous setlist. On paper, it gets no better than that.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
 
Wildcats82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Clarksville, IN
Posts: 7,045
I'm pissed I couldn't see them until 2001. My brother saw 3 shows in 1998 and I got to see none
__________________
DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=1434
Wildcats82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #20
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 4,042
I was a real obsessed-with-exactly-one-album-at-a-time kid; Luther College, then Crash, then Listener Supported, then downloading SHNs of shows from the 2000 tour. The LWS songs blew my motherfucking mind. The first time I listened to Bartender will probably always be the greatest experience listening to a song the first time I've ever had.
__________________
Being a Dave Matthews fan in 2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci22 View Post
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08480 seconds with 18 queries