These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
BeQuietAndDrive
ICU
 
BeQuietAndDrive's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 5,156
Dave Needs to Write Some More Tunes on the 12er

I honestly don't think there's a single riff the guy has written for this guitar that I dislike. Also, the nature of a 12 really doesn't give him the luxury of being lazy with a riff or else it'll sound like shit. The strummy-strum sound just fits Dave's style so well. I guess that's why I like the mini-12 too.

If he's so concerned with cutting through the band's sound, he should do it with this

Spoiler:
__________________
Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.
BeQuietAndDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
skipolo
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 563
There isn't one song on the 12 string that I don't like... I definitely support this thread!

12 string songs are?

Grey St
Raven
JTR
Bartender
BEF


What am I missing?
skipolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
BeQuietAndDrive
ICU
 
BeQuietAndDrive's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipolo View Post
There isn't one song on the 12 string that I don't like... I definitely support this thread!

12 string songs are?

Grey St
Raven
JTR
Bartender
BEF


What am I missing?
SUAD, Monkey Man, Kit Kat. He also used it on the 2000 tour on songs like DDTW, Crash, and Minarets.
__________________
Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.
BeQuietAndDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
skipolo
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 563
Bring this beat back to me again!!!

I'm all for this....although he looks like his new "tiny little guitar" right now
skipolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
jdow722
 
jdow722's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 182
d+t he also used it for last stop, spoon, and wild horses (the martin 12 he has)
jdow722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Rickmiller15BOSOX
 
Rickmiller15BOSOX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich, MA
Posts: 421
Kind of a shot in the dark but...Anyone think Shotgun would sound good on the 12? Or remain untouched?
__________________
-Chris
Rickmiller15BOSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,621
The 12er was the guitar of the LWS, and seems the tiny guitar is the guitar of the 2006 sessions.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
timh.
tasty.
 
timh.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmiller15BOSOX View Post
Kind of a shot in the dark but...Anyone think Shotgun would sound good on the 12? Or remain untouched?
shotgun is on a 12 string... just one tuned up to d
__________________
my grammar always sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Smittay
SUCK MY DICK YOU WHHHHHHHOAAAA
 
Smittay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: gloucster, MA
Posts: 10,029
honestly, dave needs to learn how to solo before he writes another song on the 12 or scatpipe
Smittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
timh.
tasty.
 
timh.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay View Post
honestly, dave needs to learn how to solo before he writes another song on the 12 or scatpipe
he probably does know how to solo... or better than we'd imagine him being able to anyway. him soloing on an acoustic guitar as the only guitar player in the band isnt very conducive to the sound the band makes though, so that's probably why he stick to rhythmic instrumentation
__________________
my grammar always sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Rickmiller15BOSOX
 
Rickmiller15BOSOX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich, MA
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
shotgun is on a 12 string... just one tuned up to d
Well kick me in the dick then! I have no ear for the guitar.
__________________
-Chris
Rickmiller15BOSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
KaraL
OMG BANNED
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 114
Maybe the 12 string reminds Dave of the Lillywhite sessions and brings back bad memories so he stays away? But I agree, I like every 12-string song except for BEF
KaraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
thestand
Stay Positive
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lake George, NY
Posts: 1,643
I hope we get something on the big 12 string for this album. I think the only thing I'm scared about so far on the new album is the lack of anything on a 6 or regular 12 string. And the only song that he could hypothetically play something on, he stands there with the guitar in his hands, ready for the next song.
__________________
-Brendan
thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
FishMonkeyMan
 
FishMonkeyMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Secular Blue States
Posts: 10,967
i support this thread... although i really like the new soprano 12 string.
FishMonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
BeQuietAndDrive
ICU
 
BeQuietAndDrive's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestand View Post
I hope we get something on the big 12 string for this album. I think the only thing I'm scared about so far on the new album is the lack of anything on a 6 or regular 12 string. And the only song that he could hypothetically play something on, he stands there with the guitar in his hands, ready for the next song.
I mean, I think this may sound silly but it's almost like he's scared that he's lost his touch or something. We haven't had a guitar-driven song Dave's written on a regularly tuned guitar since 2004.

I am all for Dave trying new things, though. IMO he's 2-for-2 with riffs on the new 12-string, but the riffs he's written on the Bari lately aren't nearly as interesting. I wonder why he hasn't gone back to the 6 yet.
__________________
Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.
BeQuietAndDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #16
thestand
Stay Positive
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lake George, NY
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
I mean, I think this may sound silly but it's almost like he's scared that he's lost his touch or something. We haven't had a guitar-driven song Dave's written on a regularly tuned guitar since 2004.

I am all for Dave trying new things, though. IMO he's 2-for-2 with riffs on the new 12-string, but the riffs he's written on the Bari lately aren't nearly as interesting. I wonder why he hasn't gone back to the 6 yet.
The bari riffs definitely aren't interesting or substantially artistic, but I'd be lying if I said they aren't catchy. I honestly can't remember 90% of Kill the King, but I can remember the rhythm of the bari riff, and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Break Free is the opening riff. He may be sadly moving away from more artistic riffs, but he hasn't lost his hook-making ability.
__________________
-Brendan
thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestand View Post
The bari riffs definitely aren't interesting or substantially artistic, but I'd be lying if I said they aren't catchy. I honestly can't remember 90% of Kill the King, but I can remember the rhythm of the bari riff, and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Break Free is the opening riff. He may be sadly moving away from more artistic riffs, but he hasn't lost his hook-making ability.
I don't know, Idea of You and Shotgun are both very interesting riffs and chord progressions...just because they're not on a standard tuned guitar doesn't really matter, I don't think.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #18
thestand
Stay Positive
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lake George, NY
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I don't know, Idea of You and Shotgun are both very interesting riffs and chord progressions...just because they're not on a standard tuned guitar doesn't really matter, I don't think.
I totally agree. I'm not a fan of Idea of You, but I completely respect the riff. I was talking about the electric baritone used on Break Free and Kill the King, though.
__________________
-Brendan
thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #19
JorgeCavos
 
JorgeCavos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 820
Bring back the 12-string. I like the new tiny one, but whip out the big one (wow that sounded kind of...haha). Really though, he hasn't made one bad song with the 12er...so keep it goin
JorgeCavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #20
vandamit
B R E W E R S
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 5,826
i don't like the term 12er. please stop typing it.
__________________
- Jan
vandamit@gmail.com
AIM: vandamit82

vandamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11378 seconds with 29 queries