These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #941
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I dunno. Before DMBFamily, it was douchebag fratboys. Both embarrassing. The fans have always been a stain on this band.
While this point is true, I would rather take a fratboy douchebag over a dMbFamily member. That's just my opinion though
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #942
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
While this point is true, I would rather take a fratboy douchebag over a dMbFamily member. That's just my opinion though
Tough call. Not sure I agree. The fratboys were a more aggressive annoyance in concerts, and typically came armed with equally annoying drunk/loud girlfriends. I would say the bulk of my more annoying fan experiences happened between 2002-2010 vs 2011-2017.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #943
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Tough call. Not sure I agree. The fratboys were a more aggressive annoyance in concerts, and typically came armed with equally annoying drunk/loud girlfriends. I would say the bulk of my more annoying fan experiences happened between 2002-2010 vs 2011-2017.
Either way, I think that we can both agree that both groups are dicks
Old 10-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #944
Bluewater34
Is Old

DMBfamily is super annoying and likes a lot about the band that they would be better to leave behind, but at least they pay attention to the show.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #945
DIDO36

Quote:
I dunno. Before DMBFamily, it was douchebag fratboys. Both embarrassing. The fans have always been a stain on this band.
whats the deal with you guys and frats? So what if some drunk kid yells some shit. It's an outdoor concert in the summer. What do you expect it to be like? Sunday church?

Last edited by DIDO36; 10-12-2017 at 12:20 AM.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #946
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher James View Post
When I worked at Bennington College for 6 years, I would say it's safe to not a single solitary student liked or even knew DMB. This is no exaggeration..
I go to school in MS of all places and people still like dmb here. I don't think dmb is nearly as relievent as the Grateful Dead, but hell even the frat houses play dmb on game day sometimes
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #947
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerwinMcgee View Post
To put it in perspective, I was wearing a dmb shirt at Dunkin, and the girl behind the counter was 19. She said she “loved dmb and other classic rock artists like Pearl Jam”. Dmb is considered “classic rock” to these youngins.
Well, DMB's best music did come out almost 20 years ago.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #948
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

DMB concerts bring out the worst in some people. And for those of us that don't normally go out of our way to be obnoxious, we keep our guard up and become almost as bad.

A big pet peeve of mine is people crowding seats. I just feel like you have to nip that shit in the bud before it escalates. I've been a total dick to people about that when it didn't really even affect me
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #949
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

The people who were frat boys in the 2000s are now the annoying DMBfamily suburban types. It's the same people
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #950
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
The people who were frat boys in the 2000s are now the annoying DMBfamily suburban types. It's the same people
Yes
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #951
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
No way. The frat boys are now bankers, lawyers, stock brokers, and commercial real estate brokers. The dmbfamily set are the fucking insane people working at PetCo and Christmas Tree shop. Getting the discount to feed their pet bird and 12 cats or offering to get you a 'sweet deal' on an 'ole timey' summertime lemonade/sweet tea set for your backyard when you somehow get stuck talking to them after making a pre-game timing error and arrive in the pit 5 minutes too early. Coulda had one more beer, man. Coulda had one more beer.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #952
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
No way. The frat boys are now bankers, lawyers, stock brokers, and commercial real estate brokers. The dmbfamily set are the fucking insane people working at PetCo and Christmas Tree shop. Getting the discount to feed their pet bird and 12 cats or offering to get you a 'sweet deal' on an 'ole timey' summertime lemonade/sweet tea set for your backyard when you somehow get stuck talking to them after making a pre-game timing error and arrive in the pit 5 minutes too early. Coulda had one more beer, man. Coulda had one more beer.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #953
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
No way. The frat boys are now bankers, lawyers, stock brokers, and commercial real estate brokers.
You're giving frat boys way too much credit.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #954
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Not the ones I know. Running the world, baby.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #955
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The Ivy League frats basically feed into Goldman Sachs etc
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #956
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Not sure I agree. Fratboys by and large that I knew back in the day became lawyers, dentists, etc. Go figure.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #957
gweeps

Quote:
Not sure I agree. Fratboys by and large that I knew back in the day became lawyers, dentists, etc. Go figure.
But of course they did. Gotta stick together.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #958
JamSession v2.0
Blue myself.

Quote:
Impossible to stay relevant when you've ceased putting out new music.
Billy Joel stopped releasing new music nearly 25 years ago and he's selling out crowds like few nostalgia acts can.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #959
JamSession v2.0
Blue myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiuuu View Post
DMB's problem isnt not connecting with the new generation of fans. Its their fans are keeping the new generation away. I started following the band after 2001 when i was in my mid-teens. The first thing I did when I wanted to know more was to go online and find out everything I could about this band. And boy was there a lot - my nerd brain had so much information for me to consume. Did you know IBYU and Halloween are about the same person?!? But more importantly there were so many active message boards that I could read, Nancies, Ants, AmIDreaming and the Bridge. There was enough people actively engaged in the community to drown out the voice of #dMbFamily.

Now the online fan presence is dominated by oldpeople memes made by suburban moms and dads. Specific interest message boards are dead. Its all social media or reddit now. If I tweeted something about DMB it would be instantly liked by a bunch of people would make me feel uncomfortable, let alone a new 15 year old fan. The last shows I went to were in Denver and the pit was awful. It was full of old burnouts, and people who were getting high for the first time and losing their shit. The show was great but the people made it hard to get through.

Not to put no blame on the management though. They havent given 80% of the folks who used to fill stadium shows a reason to come back. What's left are the cool diehards from dmbml/bridge/ufck days and dMbFamily. They were to lazy to ask what the fans wanted they listened to the loudest voice (dMbFamily) and we got buddy icons. And I think they are beyond the point of no return. dMbFamily has creeped out the band, and a potential new generation of fans. Young people expect ways of interacting with the idols. Dave tried twitter but the dMbFamily scared him away. Stefan cant tweet without both dMbFamily sending him creepy love or hardcores making fun of him (the way he looks, how much say he has in setlists, etc) Rashawn gets so much hate i'm surprised he still active on Instagram.

Tl;dr MGMT only listens to dMbFamily, dMbFamily scares away new and old fans alike as well as the band.
dMbfamily? What the fuck is this shit?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #960
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
The dmbfamily set are the fucking insane people working at PetCo and Christmas Tree shop.
pure gold

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc