These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #41
Bluewater34
Is Old

The first full review I’ve seen, and it’s a good one.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 12-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #42
mja271

Seems like it's getting praise across the board. I've seen in multiple reviews that the middle third of the movie sags a bit but the finale is fantastic. Excited to see it on Friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #43
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

50 hours to go for me.... seeing the 7 pm on thursday
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #44
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

as am I. all the theaters around here with the recliners are sold out, so i'm gonna have the general admission crowd tomorrow
Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #45
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
50 hours to go for me.... seeing the 7 pm on thursday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
as am I. all the theaters around here with the recliners are sold out, so i'm gonna have the general admission crowd tomorrow
nice Have fun!

All the good seats were taken for this weekend by the time I looked, so we are seeing it on the 22nd.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #46
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Very psyched. Theater I go to is showing Force Awakens and Last Jedi back-to-back tomorrow night. And when the 3rd installment is released in Dec. 2019 they said they will be doing the full marathon, including Rogue One and Han Solo. So that will be 11 films. That's going to be pretty damn awesome. I already did the Marvel marathon they had when Ultron was released. Apparently they're also going to do a massive Marvel Marathon when Infinity War pt. 2 is released in a few years so that will be fun.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #47
Wildcats82

I really don't want to go tomorrow night, but I know the longer I wait to see it the better the chance that someone spoils it for me. So first show is the best show for me.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #48
Bluewater34
Is Old

Yeah, I’m busy at work all weekend, and I’m going to continue my tradition of going to see these new ones with my daughter, so it looks like the earliest I’ll get to it is next Wednesday. I’m going to be walking around with my fingers in my ears screaming “La la la la la!” for the next week.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #49
ggies
Sugar Will '04

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #50
NiCK (Crush)

Seeing it tonight.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #51
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

So here is my tale of Woe... After being stoked all day and chomping at the bit to get out of school and pickup the kids, at 2:35 pm I get an email from another teacher that there was a bad accident on the bridge about 20 miles north of us (and between me and the movie theater). Email said it involved three cars, had at least one fatality and shutdown the bridge...

So I finish out the afternoon of tutoring and head home, hoping that traffic will be flowing (remember I live on an island with one road in and one road out...), I hop in the car and start driving north and hit dead stopped traffic after about 5 mins... (the movie theater is 40 miles away).

After sitting in traffic for 45 mins I pull the plug, because even if it starts moving I wont make it up there in time, and head back home. Me and my son stop for dinner and on a whim I figured I would look at our local theater (which opened up just last week). Lo and behold they still have tickets for the 7 pm! So I buy two, finish eating and rush to the theater.
Get to the theater and there is a lady out front writing something on a sign. I ask her whats going on and she tell me that the Manager who has a part for the projector is stuck on the other side of the bridge, and doesn't know when they will be back and open....

FUCK MY FUCKING LIFE....

So im going back to the theater at 730 and waiting like a psychopath, because I AM SEEING THIS MOVIE TONIGHT DAMNIT!!!

EDIT: Nope... Projector is broken...

Last edited by SonofSuns34; 12-14-2017 at 08:38 PM.
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #52
Wildcats82

it's awesome
Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #53
Wildcats82

This will make sense after you watch the movie

Spoiler:
Old 12-15-2017, 01:44 AM   #54
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
I absolutely hated it.

I genuinely question if Rian Johnson’s sole motivation was to take everything people like about “Star Wars” and shit on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #55
NiCK (Crush)

I don’t know about that one guys...
Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #56
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post

I honestly cant believe they’re still making these movies, but this video is pretty awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #57
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
What a let down. I didn't even go in with insanely high expectations. I just went in hoping to have fun and was excited for the story to progress. A few cool/interesting moments but man...Matt's right...the direction of this film was just so bad on so many levels. I get that everyone picks apart every little detail, but you don't even have to be a hardcore fan to understand how confusing, lazy, predictable, and bland this story was and how it was shot. Again, there were a few cool and interesting moments that I genuinely enjoyed and I haven't read reviews yet, so I'm just assuming that I may be alone in this opinion but
Spoiler:
I was actually filled with a bit of joy seeing Yoda with Luke again, as cheesy as it was

Also the casting of Laura Durn and Benicio...awful, and I like Benicio.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #58
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Long thoughts — copied from a text conversation I had:

Spoiler:

I think the movie is a specific deconstruction of everything Lucas built and a lot of what made the original movies interesting and timeless.

What do you go to a Star Wars movie for? The struggle of good v. evil? Daring acts of heroism? Amazing characters doing amazing things? This movie specifically went out of its way to criticize all that. It takes the brash pilot and chides him for trying to be a hero. The line “you can’t solve all your problems by jumping into an X-Wing” actually gets said. That’s literally the basis of these movies. Brave acts of heroism? The movie makes a point of emphasizing “run and hide” is a better strategy than confronting your enemies. They neuter all of the “heroes” in this movie — Poe is demoted and sits on the sideline until his big heroic moment is calling for a retreat. Finn goes on a chase that ultimately causes a majority of the resistance to be killed.

And Benicio Del Toro? His character is morally ambiguous, sells out the heroes and sees no consequences from it. His whole character exists to be a cynical fuck about the very concept of Star Wars — it isn’t good v. evil, it’s two sides buying weapons, trading shots, and making other people rich.

And Luke? They basically retconn him into a murderer and a complete failure of a person. You watch his character arc in the original movies and it’s the rise from nothing to a hero, and then it turns out off screen that he becomes a coward, a failure, and a man who runs from problems. The guy who went up to the Death Star to face Vader and the Emporer himself reduced to a sniveling old man waiting to die.

The movie wants to completely obliterate Lucas’ ideas about the Force — the light and darkness being choices people make and instead transform it into some kind of balance we all find between light and dark. Interesting, but completely not what the movie series is all about. You have 6 movies basically drilling into your head about fear, anger and hatred leading to the dark side and how just one step down that path dominates your destiny to now this need to embrace the dark side too. Rey fights with anger, fear and emotion constantly. It’s completely out of character for anything resembling a Jedi.

The movie even seems to take great pleasure in just flipping the finger to the concept of fandom. It wants to make the point that the people you think are “heroes” in the movie aren’t worthy of it. And then, in a meta “fuck you,” they take just about all the big questions from TFA that have dominated the fandom and then just outright hand wave them. Snoke — never learn anything about him. He gets Darth Maul’d halfway through. Rey’s lineage? No one — just some junk traders who sold her for booze. I could get behind it stylistically if it didn’t seem like a bigger effort at just deconstructing the concept of Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #59
mja271

Welp I really liked it. I'm not a Star Wars die hard or anything but I was thoroughly entertained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #60
NiCK (Crush)

Spoiler:
I can't get over the magical frozen Leia space flight thing. Honestly, what the fuck was that.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc