These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #341
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Dave's Picks 5 sounds great. Obviously it's a great show (11/17/73), and a fantastic release. The liner notes by Bill Walton are cool, too.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #342
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Man, I love these late '73 Here Comes Sunshines so much.

I know this show is kinda known for the "sandwich", and it is cool, as was the one at Winterland a week earlier, but the final climax of Morning Dew is the best part of the song, IMO, and you miss out on that with these. But, of course, there are great stand-alone versions from this era to listen to (like on DP19, 10/73), so not a big deal.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #343
Crush87
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 10,690
2/5/78 My favorite Scarlet Fire. Incendiary. Very unique peak in The Other One. The hottest Around & Around I've ever heard. Scorching US Blues encore (not included on DP 18) that's even better than the coked out Duke 78 version. All around one of my favorite Dead shows. Wish the full first set circulated.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #344
Crush87
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 10,690
2/2/68 going now. Clementine is such a pretty song. Have to say my favorite is actually the Aoxomoxoa studio instrumental. They never seemed to get the lyrics right live.

Last edited by Crush87; 02-07-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #345
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
2/5/78 My favorite Scarlet Fire. Incendiary. Very unique peak in The Other One. The hottest Around & Around I've ever heard. Scorching US Blues encore (not included on DP 18) that's even better than the coked out Duke 78 version. All around one of my favorite Dead shows. Wish the full first set circulated.
I love the unbridled energy of '78. Red Rocks 7-8-78 is one of my very favorite shows of all-time. 4-16-78 Huntington, WV is another favorite. One of my first, and favorite, tapes I had back in the 80's was Set 2 of [Only registered users can see links.] . I wore that cassette out. Definitely worth a listen. The more polished precision of '77 was great, of course, but there is a looser energy that always seems on the verge of coming off the tracks a bit in most of the '78 shows which is really cool.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #346
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Perfect listening for today in New York:
Alligator>Jam>GDTRFB>Cold Rain & Snow (4/29/71)
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #347
Crush87
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 10,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I love the unbridled energy of '78. Red Rocks 7-8-78 is one of my very favorite shows of all-time. 4-16-78 Huntington, WV is another favorite. One of my first, and favorite, tapes I had back in the 80's was Set 2 of [Only registered users can see links.] . I wore that cassette out. Definitely worth a listen. The more polished precision of '77 was great, of course, but there is a looser energy that always seems on the verge of coming off the tracks a bit in most of the '78 shows which is really cool.
I wrote off 78 for a while until I came across those Feb shows. Jerry was clearly dipping into the coke jar more than usual in 78 and that had varying levels of success. When they were on that year, unbridled is definitely the word.

I'll check out that Troy show, thanks.

Definitely some good stuff in April
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #348
Crush87
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 10,690
Newly circulated JGB 3/17/78 video. This is the source of the new mono board that was just put out as well. Love this show. Show had not circulated in any form until recently. The next night is one of my alltime favorites as well.

Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #349
jeff1818
 
jeff1818's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 325
I've been enjoying the "birth of the dead" CD. Those old tracks have a real fun psychedelic sound. "Mindbender" is really trippy.

On a related note, does anyone know a site to pick up Dick's Picks?
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #350
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Furthur at Barclays Center on July 11th
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #351
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,132
what are 2-3 shows I need to download? I have a handful of their stuff, but want to dive in fully.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #352
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
what are 2-3 shows I need to download? I have a handful of their stuff, but want to dive in fully.
Are you talking official releases (of which there are of course many) or unreleased shows?

I, and others here, can give you lots of suggestions based on which of the above, what the handful you already have is, etc.

Generally, though, you definitely want to focus on the years 1970-74 and 1977. I love the Fillmore East run at the end of April 1971 (most of which was released in Ladies and Gentlemen release), almost anything from Europe 1972 tour (check out 4.14.72 Tivoli, 5.3.72 Paris), 9.21.72 Philly Spectrum is another favorite (released as Dicks Picks 36), most all of 1973 is fantastic, particularly the fall IMO, and you can throw a dart at a show in May 1977 and it will be great, especially the legendary three night run of 5.7, 5.8, and 5.9. You probably have that 5.8.77 Cornell show b/c it's legendary, but if not, Set 2 of that is one of the first things you should listen to. And there's so much more, of course. I also like a lot of the 1988-1990 era, too, partly because it was the height of my show-going years, but I think it's the best post 70's era.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #353
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,132
I'm down for anything about this point. I'll look at the archive here after work. I need some new summer listening.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #354
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I'm down for anything about this point. I'll look at the archive here after work. I need some new summer listening.
Check out some of my suggestions above, but one of my very favorites, and an all-time great, that I didn't mention above is [Only registered users can see links.] . Highly recommended. Be sure to grab that if you don't have already have it.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #355
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,474
[Only registered users can see links.]

5 complete consecutive shows between 5/11-5/17 (that 5/17 Tuscaloosa show has always been a favorite).

Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #356
Habbs
Organic
 
Habbs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 2,398
Spotify has fucking EVERYTHING on it. I've only listened to a few Dick's Picks so I'm looking forward to checking some more out. Europe 72 vol 2 should be sweet.
__________________
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon
"Rituals are important. Nowadays it's hip not to be married. I'm not interested in being hip." - John Lennon
Habbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #357
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 21,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]

5 complete consecutive shows between 5/11-5/17 (that 5/17 Tuscaloosa show has always been a favorite).

I got the email for this earlier and thought it was pretty cool (though '77 is pretty well covered with official releases & other areas are largely ignored). Is it just me or is the price pretty high? More than $25 per show seems excessive. Still excited, and I'll admit I haven't listened to any of these shows, but the sets seem pretty familiar to the june winterland box.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #358
Mersh
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I got the email for this earlier and thought it was pretty cool (though '77 is pretty well covered with official releases & other areas are largely ignored). Is it just me or is the price pretty high? More than $25 per show seems excessive. Still excited, and I'll admit I haven't listened to any of these shows, but the sets seem pretty familiar to the june winterland box.
Seems overpriced to me too. I will get it the same way I got the complete Europe 72 set.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #359
Mersh
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 50,634
I mean as much as I really want that historical essay...
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #360
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 21,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Seems overpriced to me too. I will get it the same way I got the complete Europe 72 set.
This will be one I'll have to skip still being out of work & having baby #2 on the way, but a year ago at this time I would have definitely held my nose & ordered. My wife has put me on phish only probation. And the dave & tim live trax set.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08683 seconds with 16 queries